Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What anime are you watching or manga are you reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Knights of Sidonia is now up on Netflix subbed and dubbed, Johnny Yong Bosch is Nagate. Appears to be the broadcast version of the animation with an English overlay on the OP/ED, missing next episode previews.

I'm surprised this wasn't the OP/ED:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

"I'll take a potato chip and eat it"

Fecking brilliant :D

Thinking I'll finish up Attack on Titan and Highschool of the Dead in the coming days and then jump right into Knights of Sidonia.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Rewatching soul eater after the underwhelming soul eater not

Also gave steins gate and black lagoon a watch. Really liked steins gate. Slow but wonderful characterization Black lagoon has my interest too but been binge watching soul eater

New series are starting up now, including the 2nd series of sword art online, which looks to be as underwhelming as the 2nd half of series 1. gave Tokyo ghoul a chance too and I really like the werewolf like premise so hoping that delivers.

Also the new season of fairy tail has been rubbish, starting to suffer from dbz syndrome where the pace has slowed down massively. Considering that by this same point in the original series they'd done 2 short arcs + a few stand alone episodes and were already into their first big arc. Currently in the same amount of time has barely struggled to finish of a midpoint of the current arc which had started prior the break. It's that ****ty carry on that keeps putting me off long running anime

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Death note is on netflix.

I don't see it. Search came up empty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Don't see it either on the Irish version, it's on the US one though. Well worth looking into a vpn or dns service for it, the US version has a great selection including Attack on Titan and Kill la Kill.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I have the us netflixs

Don't see it either on the Irish version, it's on the US one though. Well worth looking into a vpn or dns service for it, the US version has a great selection including Attack on Titan and Kill la Kill.

It use to have a far far better selection but they got rid of loads before I could watch them,its only recently its gotten good again but nowhere near as good as it was 2yrs ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mrkite77

If you're doing that, you should also check out Hulu's selection.

Here's a zoomed out view of Hulu's "Anime Drama Popular This Week" section:

http://i.imgur.com/UlhVVF1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

It use to have a far far better selection but they got rid of loads before I could watch them,its only recently its gotten good again but nowhere near as good as it was 2yrs ago.

Same with the Irish Netflix, had the likes of Baccano and Gurren Lagann. Now its just Pokemon :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Same with the Irish Netflix, had the likes of Baccano and Gurren Lagann. Now its just Pokemon :(
    Yeah, I'm guessing the watch numbers weren't great for the more serious anime and it wasn't worth the cost they were paying to get them.

Yeah, I'm guessing the watch numbers weren't great for the more serious anime and it wasn't worth the cost they were paying to get them.

I would assume Netflix are on a pay per view model, where they pay the content owner a few cents each time it is viewed so their cost probably weren't that high, more likely they had a fixed term deal with the content provider that wasn't renewed.

I think the problem with anime is that most people pirate it and that's largely down to the fact that many of the bigger shows and films take years to get a release over here. Evangelion 3.33 was released in Japanese cinemas near the end of 2012 yet i we'll be waiting till the eed of this year before it gets a token cinema release before coming to DVD and Blu-Ray in February 2015. There are a number of services which have begun to offer anime at the same time as it airs in Japan but for many shows/films it takes years to get a legit English friendly release.

I think the problem with anime is that most people pirate it and that's largely down to the fact that many of the bigger shows and films take years to get a release over here. Evangelion 3.33 was released in Japanese cinemas near the end of 2012 yet i we'll be waiting till the eed of this year before it gets a token cinema release before coming to DVD and Blu-Ray in February 2015. There are a number of services which have begun to offer anime at the same time as it airs in Japan but for many shows/films it takes years to get a legit English friendly release.

Evangelion 3.0 was shown in the Lighthouse last November.

The problem with the home release apparently is the English dub hasn't been approved by the Japanese. Not suprising seeing that Gainax kept insisting that Shinji be addressed as the third children in the English dub of the series despite being gramattically incorrect

The problem with the home release apparently is the English dub hasn't been approved by the Japanese. Not suprising seeing that Gainax kept insisting that Shinji be addressed as the third children in the English dub of the series despite being gramattically incorrect

Haha, I know a guy who used the internet handle of "the third children" for years because he thought this was so hilarious. I dunno why they're still insisting on it.

I wonder how many times they need to reboot the end of that series before it's not terrible and unsatisfying. I'm guessing infinity times.

But that was a special one off screening, the official release is months away.

Part of the reason for such stagnated releasing outside of Japan is that the home market still has some of the most ridiculous pricing in the world. It's not uncommon, or it wasn't in the past to pay $80+ for a single volume of an anime. What happened at the advent of VHS and Laserdisc was that Japanese fans payed the same price as a video store would for a release. Over here and in the rest of the world video stores would pay 50 or 60 pound for one VHS with the consumer price being considerably lower. There was actually a number of releases in Japan where they attempted to sell anime at a lower price and it saw a increase in sales but it wasn't enough to offset the loss of selling cheap.

When you consider that it's easy to understand why they want to ensure that they have exclusive rights to a series or film for a bit longer than you'd expect. If Japanese fans could get a DVD for a tenth the price by importing from outside Japan then you'd see sales there hit.

But that was a special one off screening, the official release is months away.

When it was screened the release of the bluray was still scheduled for March.
    Part of the reason for such stagnated releasing outside of Japan is that the home market still has some of the most ridiculous pricing in the world. It's not uncommon, or it wasn't in the past to pay $80+ for a single volume of an anime. What happened at the advent of VHS and Laserdisc was that Japanese fans payed the same price as a video store would for a release. Over here and in the rest of the world video stores would pay 50 or 60 pound for one VHS with the consumer price being considerably lower. There was actually a number of releases in Japan where they attempted to sell anime at a lower price and it saw a increase in sales but it wasn't enough to offset the loss of selling cheap.

When you consider that it's easy to understand why they want to ensure that they have exclusive rights to a series or film for a bit longer than you'd expect. If Japanese fans could get a DVD for a tenth the price by importing from outside Japan then you'd see sales there hit.

Everyone is aware of the situation with the licensors and their unease at reverse importation, but that isn't what is holding up the English language release as Eva 3.33 is already available in Hong Kong, France and Germany.

If you wish to get it now the Hong Kong release has English subtitles if you can play region 3/A discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Oh sweet Kaworu Nagisa's head, at this rate Eva 4.0 will probably be in Japanese cinemas before there's an English-dubbed DVD/Blu-Rei.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

So what are people watching form the new crop of shows starting this season? Seems to be a lot more action centered series than the massive quantities of Moe-style that cropped up last season.

I'm liking Aldnoah Zero and Argevollen for mech combat, Akame go Kill had a very good opening episode, 2nd was a bit hit or miss but look forward to the rest of the series. Still have to watch Tokyo Ghoul but have heard good things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

So what are people watching form the new crop of shows starting this season? Seems to be a lot more action centered series than the massive quantities of Moe-style that cropped up last season.

I'm liking Aldnoah Zero and Argevollen for mech combat, Akame go Kill had a very good opening episode, 2nd was a bit hit or miss but look forward to the rest of the series. Still have to watch Tokyo Ghoul but have heard good things.

Aldonoah Zero is really awesome so far. Very intriguing first episode and great action in the second ep. I've only watched the first ep of Akame ga Kill - I felt the tone was a bit all over the place but it was interesting.

Zankyou no Terror (or Terror in Tokyo) had a fantastic first episode and it looks set to be a great series (Cowboy Bebop director Shinchiro Watanabe is in charge!). Stunning animation too.

Tokyo ESP also had an action-packed first episode and has very accurately been described as X-Men in Tokyo. I love X-Men though so this suits me so far ha!

Em em em, what else am I watching? Barakamon - very charming SOL, also looks good if you're into that genre. SAO S2 is good so far. I'm a fan of the first series (though Alfheim Online wasn't anywhere near as good as the first half) so may be biased though. Sailor Moon remake of course, LOVED the first episode. So sad it's only once every 2 weeks. Space Dandy S2, Free S2 and Prism Illya S2 too but if you've seen the first season then you know what to expect from all of them!

All in all it looks like a VERY strong season. Some serious standouts, can't wait to be finished college next week so I can keep up with everything haha!

EDIT: Glasslip too! Beautiful animation, as expected from PA works. Story is a little unclear so far but I have faith. Nagi no Asukara was one of my favourite SOL/drama/romance series recently so I'm hoping this will be as good.

• Advertisement

Watching Space Dandy S2, Sword Art Online 2 and Persona 4 Golden from the new season. Going to watch Tokyo Ghoul and Zankyou no Terror when I get a chance.

Also watching Outlaw Star, when I'm finished that I will probably watch Gatchaman

Konata wrote: »

Zankyou no Terror (or Terror in Tokyo) had a fantastic first episode and it looks set to be a great series (Cowboy Bebop director Shinchiro Watanabe is in charge!). Stunning animation too.

SOLD!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Just watched sword of the stranger, really enjoyed it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

****ing AWESOME movie Tar! ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Apparently one of my cats agrees, had a good watch :D

T20SPs1.jpg

Loved it, would watch it again. Tobimaruuuuu~~~

Dat soundtrack though :eek:

Epic, I almost would watch it again now. Need more cool standalone films. :)

Actually must try and find something samurai'y. Loved that and samurai champloo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Epic, I almost would watch it again now. Need more cool standalone films. :)

Actually must try and find something samurai'y. Loved that and samurai champloo.

Ninja Scroll Movie, is basically the Film which inspired Sword of the Stranger. It's an Oldie, but it's also the one that got me started on my Love for Anime.

Just don't bother with Ninja Scroll Series, its Garbage.

If Sword of the Stranger had an Anime Series its name would be Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit. I think you would Love that one.

thanks, will have a looksee.

For others I recommend going through this list! I've only started it.
    http://imgur.com/a/9UGCL

• Advertisement

thanks, will have a looksee.

For others I recommend going through this list! I've only started it.
    http://imgur.com/a/9UGCL

Saw this a while back, and there are some damn good movies on there, DAMN good! :D

I still need to see Wings of Honneamise.

Memories is incredible, especially the first part by Satoshi Kon, very atmospheric.

Advertisement