Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family distraught as Irish lad runs off to join rebels in Syria

Options
  • 03-07-2014 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭

What do ye make of this, AH?

Personally, I think he's a bit of a thick for doing this, especially without telling his family what he was up to. Hopefully he makes it out the other end in one piece!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Joining a group that truly love their beheadings, I'd say screw him tbh. He'll most likely end up featured on LiveLeak.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Goddammit Eamon Bradley, stop messing and come home for dinner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    . Hopefully he makes it out the other end in one piece!

I'm ok with him coming back in a couple of pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Until we know what group he joined, who can say.

They aren't all cannibal barbarians as some would portray.

Having said that, if he joins some ISIS affiliate who are partial to a bit of barbarism, then his citizenship/residency should be considered null & void on security grounds & passport cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

It's better than running off to join the circus...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I love the random anonymous quotes they threw in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

An idiot is all I can say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Sure isn't he from the north? We can just call him british and pretend this never happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Unfortunately, a small % of people seem to have always been fascinated by and want to get involved with other countries' internal conflicts.

We saw similar in the 1920s really when a bunch of Irish people jumped into both sides of the Spanish Civil War for example.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Could he not just have joined the FCA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Gob****e! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Recently a Green Party leader in Sweden compared these lads travelling to Syria with Swedish volunteers joining Finnish troops fighting Russians during WW2.

Right... totally the same thing.

Could he not just have joined the FCA?

I dont think sharing a wooden gun with a hundred other lads would've cut it for him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Given the butchery in violation of the laws of war groups within Syria have done and as these can be prosecuted by any country, then it should be an interesting home coming.

I get the impression the guy has played Call of Duty a bit too many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Why did they picture him on a horse? What the fcuk good can a horse do against morter rounds and chemical weapons?

Well, if he comes back and he's been involved in war crimes, I think fair enough he should stand trail.

I just hope he's not going to expect to be rescued now (at enormous cost) by an Irish diplomatic mission. Given that 1) he lives in the UK and 2) he ignored all travel advice and has gone to partake in a war.

Why did they picture him on a horse? What the fcuk good can a horse do against morter rounds and chemical weapons?

Maybe it's a secret unicorn and it can just merely fly into different dimensions :)

bear1 wrote: »
    Maybe it's a secret unicorn and it can just merely fly into different dimensions :)
    Ah yes, the majestic jihadicorn I believe they're called

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

He was inspired by the Canadians in WW1, charging against tanks on horseback.

• Advertisement

The one thing he can be 100% sure of though is that he's now placed himself on the international security services radar for the rest of his life regardless of what his motivations are.

He could also be facing serious prosecution when he returns to Northern Ireland.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Well, if he comes back and he's been involved in war crimes, I think fair enough he should stand trail.

I just hope he's not going to expect to be rescued now (at enormous cost) by an Irish diplomatic mission. Given that 1) he lives in the UK and 2) he ignored all travel advice and has gone to partake in a war.

I'd say the most our Government would do is offer "consular assistance".
    I'd doubt the British government would give a toss if an Irish citizen went to fight in a war that he shouldn't be a part of.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

biko wrote: »
    Recently a Green Party leader in Sweden compared these lads travelling to Syria with Swedish volunteers joining Finnish troops fighting Russians during WW2.

Right... totally the same thing.

Fighting Assad isn't a bad cause to sign up for. He's a brutal dictator.

the problem is that the opposition like ISIS aren't any better.

bear1 wrote: »
    I'd say the most our Government would do is offer "consular assistance".
    I'd doubt the British government would give a toss if an Irish citizen went to fight in a war that he shouldn't be a part of.

I would certainly hope not. It would be a gross waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Grayson wrote: »

ISIS are like the Taliban on steroids, it seems

Grayson wrote: »

It isn't a war any of us should be involved in.
    If they want to blow themselves up then have at it whether it be a good cause or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

He's not a rebel, he's a very naughty boy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Once he doesn't involve himself in firefights with any of our troops serving in Syria I couldn't give a toss what he does, or what happens to him.

If he does involve himself in any firefights with Irish troops he should be charged with treason or whatever offence is most appropriate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

How will he manage to communicate with them, after all...Irish people have a hard enough job understanding a thick Derry accent so I can only imagine how the Syrians will manage.

"How's about ye mucker, am here to help ye with your sityee-ayshin. Whatchee want me to do mucker? "

Advertisement