Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSM Referendum Spring 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Daith

RobertKK wrote: »
    I know that, but my point on why adoption law is being changed still stands.

No it's being changed to allow gay couples to adopt jointly.

And to stop people confusing marriage with parenthood.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Generally speaking....

A freewheeling attitude to sexual promiscuity, a lot of gay men would have little or no concept of monogamy and the figures for HIV/ AIDS amongst gays are beyond shocking-they are a disgrace with the amount of info and precautions freely available.

Obviously I accept there are exceptions, but unless attitudes to the above change drastically amongst gays, (can't see it happening myself any day soon) I will be voting no.

Can I make up bull**** too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Generally speaking....

A freewheeling attitude to sexual promiscuity, a lot of gay men would have little or no concept of monogamy and the figures for HIV/ AIDS amongst gays are beyond shocking-they are a disgrace with the amount of info and precautions freely available.

Obviously I accept there are exceptions, but unless attitudes to the above change drastically amongst gays, (can't see it happening myself any day soon) I will be voting no.

What in the absolute fcuk are you on about?

Oh yeah, homophobing generally with your general homophobia...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

I hope so but sometimes I do question some of the statements he makes. I have other gay friends with different political leanings that I would agree with much more. I appreciate that Senator Norris, for example, was instrumental in the gay movement of the 70s and 80s but I would oppose most of his more recent actions. Some gay "activists" seem to want to keep a level of isolation from the rest of the population. I favour inclusion rather than broad statements made on a soapbox to garner a reaction. Rory O Neill is a performer, as is Senator Norris and they have an innate need to be heard. If they were from any other group they would be shouting about something else. I think the lines can very easily be blurred between politics and entertainment these days. Russell Brand anyone??

Did you actually listen to Panti's speech in the Abbey?

Can you point to anything objectionable in that?

I don't know if you yourself are a minority but I can tell you as minority everything she said truly struck a chord - and did so world wide.

That was no grandstanding - it's was an honest and profound account of what prejudice and discrimination feels like for a minority.

Honestly, if you can take offence at that than it's not the words spoken that's really upsetting you, and you truly lack empathy or understanding of what it feels like to be made feel less than

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Generally speaking....

So. Because some study or other you choose to accept as truth paints all gays as promiscuous you want to prevent those who wish to formally commit to a monogamous relationship from doing so.
    Jesus wept.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Generally speaking....

i know a lot more married heterosexuals having extra marital affairs than i do homosexuals who have cheated on their partners, you are judging peoples actions which is down to their lack of commitment rather than related to their sexuality.

Generally speaking....

No, that's not generally speaking.

That's misinformation with a heavy dose of prejudice speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

floggg wrote: »
    Did you actually listen to Panti's speech in the Abbey?

Can you point to anything objectionable in that?

I don't know if you yourself are a minority but I can tell you as minority everything she said truly struck a chord - and did so world wide.

That was no grandstanding - it's was an honest and profound account of what prejudice and discrimination feels like for a minority.

Honestly, if you can take offence at that than it's not the words spoken that's really upsetting you, and you truly lack empathy or understanding of what it feels like to be made feel less than

I listened to it and I had a friend who was there. She said that if she wanted to go to an anti- homophobia rally she would have gone to an anti- homophobia rally. She went to see a show, she went for a bit of fun, she didn't go for a civics lesson. Being a drag queen doesn't even have anything to do with sexuality, don't you think that if he wanted to be taken seriously as an activist he would've done it as himself instead of his alter ego??

I'm voting NO to Same Sex Marriage because the gays have more sex then I do!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Generally speaking....

Oh, you're a charmer.

Do you whinge about heterosexual "promiscuity" too? Do you yearn for the days when you could threaten your daughter with a Magdalene Kazett?

• Advertisement

Being a drag queen doesn't even have anything to do with sexuality, don't you think that if he wanted to be taken seriously as an activist he would've done it as himself instead of his alter ego??

The entire gay rights movement which sparked off from Stonewall in New York came from mostly drag queen and trans people.

Honestly I'd love for Panti to debate David Quinn. Entertaining and enlightening. What more would you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

hoodwinked wrote: »
    i know a lot more married heterosexuals having extra marital affairs than i do homosexuals who have cheated on their partners, you are judging peoples actions which is down to their lack of commitment rather than related to their sexuality.
    Of course it's to do with their sexuality.

The sexual behaviour and attitudes of a gay man differs enormously from that of a straight guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

If the Iona ****lords could feel affection they'd probably awkwardly try to hug padd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

The sexual behaviour and attitudes of a gay man differs enormously from that of a straight guy.

Please explain how.

And as a follow up.... What on earth has any of it got to do with a couple getting married?

Aaaand. Go!

Are you saying straight guys can't be promiscuous? Bloody hell.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If the Iona ****lords could feel affection they'd probably awkwardly try to hug padd.

CHRISTIAN SIDE HUG!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Please explain how they differ, I could do with a laugh this morning.

how so? i know a straight guy, married with a kid, also bangs any girl he meets on a night out, i know a gay guy who had been with his partner monogamously for over 10 years.

which of those two do you think deservers to be married more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

God, you are full of bollocks. You're literally reciting stereotypes and expecting us to take you seriously.

No it's not.

Figures for AIDS/HIV amongst gays are easily googled.

If you think the rest is misinformation, you know very little about the lifestyle of gays in general.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Generally speaking....

That's a grossly unfair slur. There is little of the above that couldn't also be applied to a large cohort of heterosexual men. Should all marriage be abolished?

If, like me, you think monogamy is a good thing, why would you block gay men (and women, who are rarely mentioned by the anti-SSM side, funnily enough) from accessing the very institution which provides legal and social supports to monogamy? It makes no sense and calls your motivation into question.

I know I shouldn't be surprised that attitudes like this exist, but it's depressing all the same.

hoodwinked wrote: »
    how so? i know a straight guy, married with a kid, also bangs any girl he meets on a night out, i know a gay guy who had been with his partner faithfully for over 10 years.

which of those two do you think deservers to be married more?

Straight guy is a scumbag, end of.

but which of the two deserves the right to be married more in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

That doesn't answer the posters question.

Which is more deserving of marriage?

And he shouldn't be able to marry right?

How many sexual partners should one have before they are denied the right to marry?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Gotta love too how homophobes completely ignore the fact that queer female couples exist, because it doesn't fit their WAHHH PROMISCUOUS GAY MEN narrative...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Generally speaking....

The heterosexual lifestyle is so much worse

I saw a heterosexual shooting up heroin on a bus once, what a disgusting display of vile heterosexual behaviour! There were children who could see this. Go out at a weekend and dirty heterosexual males are getting pissed up to their eyeballs and beating the **** out of each other, clogging up A&E, wasting the valuable time of staff, heterosexuals are a drain on our health services. What is it with heterosexuals shoving their lifestyle in our faces all the time? They shouldn't be allowed to do that in public.

See how you sound?

Please explain how.

And as a follow up.... What on earth has any of it got to do with a couple getting married?

Aaaand. Go!
    Google AIDS/HIV amongst gay men.

And as a follow up......Why do so many gay men lack the self-respect to practice safe sex??

Aaaand. Go!

I listened to it and I had a friend who was there. She said that if she wanted to go to an anti- homophobia rally she would have gone to an anti- homophobia rally. She went to see a show, she went for a bit of fun, she didn't go for a civics lesson. Being a drag queen doesn't even have anything to do with sexuality, don't you think that if he wanted to be taken seriously as an activist he would've done it as himself instead of his alter ego??

Yes, so it wasn't the words.

Why should the way she was dressed affect how she is treated, or whether her words are treated with respect or taken seriously? The words carried more than enough weight by themselves.

Drag is in some ways a political statement as much as it is a form of entertainment and drag queens have always been at the forefront of gay rights movement.

And the noble call is something that was done after all performances of that play by a range of speakers. If she was offended by having to see somebody discuss civil rights she was probably at the wrong performance.

And if either of you would be offended at having to listen to a powerful, raw, and honest account of what it's like to be a minority than you seriously lack any empathy or understanding for minority groups or people generally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Google AIDS/HIV amongst gay men.

And as a follow up......Why do so many gay men lack the self-respect to practice safe sex??

Aaaand. Go!

What has the rates of HIV / AIDS in gay men have to do with the right to marry :confused: Are they connected in some way? Am I missing something here?

Advertisement