Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,935 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I didn't like ff3 when it was on DS. The load times really killed the pace of the game compared to the famicom original. Also it was never that good a game to begin with. The job system is very embryonic in it. Every time you get a new set of jobs the older ones become obsolete and you can't mix and match job skills. It's really in interesting especially if you have played games like dragon quest or ffV or tactics which really built on the job system and made it into something amazing. It's not a bad game just really dated and ffV really made it obsolete and is a far better game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Anyone pick up Chrono Cross in the recent US PSN sale? Any continuing impressions of it? So far I'm at that stock level of 'great soundtrack, easy enough, scattered storyline and sometimes dense battle system'.

Its in my to play list along with xenogears :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,935 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's made by the same team as xenogears. Xenogears is a total mess with a rubbish story as well, although it does have some good momens when it's not being ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    As a sequel to Chrono trigger its the worst sequel ever and craps all over what that game stood for. .

Any way you could elaborate on this whilst avoiding spoilerdom? I'm only as far as
    when Serge is revealed as the Chrono Trigger

I've been suitably briefed over the yore about how lacking it is in terms of sequel, instead hoping for competent, relatively self-contained experience, with the odd reference here and there, but I'm, from rough measure, about a quarter way into it and the battle system is still taking a bit to get to grips with fully.

Let me know how you're getting on with it if you ever get around to a playthrough. Are you a Chrono Trigger fan or going in blind?

Also, anyone recommend the best means in which to play Final Fantasy VI? I've been ogling the GBA version for sake of convenience, but the PS1 version seems to go for cheap enough on the US PSN, but even with it being a proper-running NTSC version, there's still the load times. Any insight welcome....

I can't really go into how Chrono cross is a horrible sequel because it will spoil it. I'll just say that were Chrono trigger was a bright breezy cartoony romp, Chrono cross completely destroys that and is really mean spirited and depressing. Again don't let that ruin the game. Threat it as a separate entity or a piece of fan fiction.

In terms of FF6 the best way to play it is the snes version. The gba would be next but the sound is no where near as good and the introduced some censorship into it. Avoid the ps1 version like the plague. It's a dreadful conversion by Tose. The music sounds awful but the load times really ruin it and they even make saving a valuable player character near impossible in one section since its timed but the timer continues to count down during the load times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Digital Devil Saga well be out tomorrow on the EU PSN store for those who did not pick it up from the NA store, also Digital Devil Saga 2 should be up on the NA store next week.

Not all JRPS's but Sony are having a RPG flash sale, you need a US PSN account though http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/06/03/flash-sale-over-15-rpgs-add-ons-up-to-75-off/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Xenji wrote: »
    Digital Devil Saga well be out tomorrow on the EU PSN .
    PS3 only :mad: Insta-purchase for Vita despite already having a hard copy of the game. Sony are really missing a trick with the Vita.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I think I actually want to get Akiba’s Trip :o

• Advertisement

I think I actually want to get Akiba’s Trip :o

What's it about xenji?

What's it about xenji?

Oh you know vampires, stripping demons to defeat them, loads of otaku (set in Akihabara and has over 100 real life stores in it) and probably a terrible storyline. Famitsu gave it around 34/40 I think, it has been well received anyway.

Vampires and stripping demons? :D Might have to get it myself so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

are there any rpg games about bread?

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth and Shin Megami Tensei IV coming to the 3DS in Europe in Q3.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ssba91

Final Fantasy Type-0 is also coming to Europe for PS4/XboxOne

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth and Shin Megami Tensei IV coming to the 3DS in Europe in Q3.

Dammit, I have to get my skates on and play Persona....anything!! Have had 3 on my PSP for almost a year and never touched it. Oh well, Playstation TV will net me P4 Golden anyways.

EDIT: Found vid of the Nintendo treehouse gameplay of Xenoblade Chronicles X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

This looks like a mixture of FF6, FF7 and FF8 with the dramatic and good writing of FF12.

Best game since FFIX apparently. Quite bloody and mature too.

According to past reviews of this game, it's the alongside the older games as one of the very best game in the series, and isn't coasting on being FF in name only.
    All the staples from the old games, but revitalised in every respect with a worthy successor to Uemastu and the soundtrack feels distinctly its own. It is old Final Fantasy with a more mature touch. He's like the new Uematsu but with his own personal flare. Best soundtrack in years.

Imagine this in HD on PS4 with huge expansions to areas, systems, this will more of a remake than anything.

As good as anything that Squaresoft would have made, if not better.

And not just merely referential to the past, the writing is good, world maps return, controllable airship+battles, summons, mixed with SRPG style battles.

I hate the series obsession need to be graphically stampede, its the stuff like that has lead FFXV into the developmental hell, and I wouldn't mind FFXVI being a return to a more mid-teir sized game, with all the bells and whistles of modern gameplay systems but with an interesting or pre-rendered style.

Type-0 deserves to be a mainline title.

New Xenoblade game \0/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

NISA Europe is opening an online store to pre-order some of their games on July 1st. [url]

https://www.facebook.com/nisaeurope/posts/10152072714571895[/url]
    Hello, doods!

We are happy to announce that we will be bringing Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth to Europe this year!

In addition to that, we are proud to announce that our official NISA Europe Online Store will be launching on July 1. This means that all our fans in Europe will now have the chance to preorder and purchase the same limited editions that are released in North America.

Upon launch, the following limited editions will be available with preorder details for our European customers: Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited, Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair, Fairy Fencer F, as well as the Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth: The Wild Cards Premium Edition.

More details to come, dood!

Pity persona q isn't coming to the vita :(

It will probably get a port early 2016, after Golden though it will take a bit if getting used to.

I don't see any problem with that unless you don't have a 3DS.

And if you don't have a 3DS then what the hell are you doing! It's such a good system.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I don't see any problem with that unless you don't have a 3DS.

And if you don't have a 3DS then what the hell are you doing! It's such a good system.

I don't have one................................yet :D

Tecmo Koei announces Ar Nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star for PS3 in Europe coming on the 26th of September.

Look interesting, has anyone played the other ar games?

They are very hit and miss, but they have all been enjoyable but never great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭megaten

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.android_googleplay.subarashikikonosekai_solo

The World Ends With You is now on Android. Bit pricey for a game I've already beaten but I'll probably cave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Look interesting, has anyone played the other ar games?

I've played them all, if there's anything you want to know, ask away.

looking forward to Ar nosurge as the battle system is quite interesting, you can use heavy attacks to "break" enemies that are about to attack, giving you another turn. It's slightly similar to Grandia's critical system

Advertisement