Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A day out in court

Options
  • 27-06-2014 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever done a voyeuristic tourist day out in a local district or circuit court?
    I was just talking about a law lecturer I had a few years ago who said it was a great way to spend a day watching the random cases and odd balls of the world appearing in court.
    She said it was better than a trip to the cinema and admission is free!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

No but ya i say it would be interesting especially if it was a rape case

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭RoiSoleil

Went once with a school group. Very interesting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Warper wrote: »

Ya I'd say the victim would think its great craic altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

!

:eek:

Ya I'd say the victim would think its great craic altogether!

Would they though?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I think they are held in private?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

That would be your idea of a fun day out? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

WTF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Sat in on a trial of a guy done for heroin possession, was really interesting, would recommend doing it

I was joking FFS, this is AH

• Advertisement

Mod

No. That is NOT AH.

If you want to joke about rape, you can go to another website. Your jokes aren't welcome here.

Why do some people think the bit in bold is a license for ar5eholery?

Is 'FFS this is AH' the boards equivalent of 'my-hazards-are-on-so-I-can-park-anywhere'?

Yes, you do get light-hearted irreverent banter here. That is indeed the nature of the forum. What you posted though, was ar5eholery.

Now, just to be clear, I'm not suggesting for a second that you yourself are an ar5ehole. Just your post. That was ar5holey.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,193 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Can be most entertaining. Our local judge is a hair trigger lunatic type, once got a 5 minute tirade about how he was almost attacked on the bench (lad on trial launched a chair at him) and went on to detail how he (judge) needed therapy, and still wasn't right!
    Later on that day a young lad was up for defecating on the street after a nightclub closed. When his lawyer pleaded that the lad was a student, and a conviction would cause harm to his career, the judge asked the lad he was studying, he replied "environmental studies"! Got a great laugh in court. (wasn't a joke either)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I wanted to go and see Bertie in the Mahon Tribunal but I couldn't take time off work. That was a brilliant comedic performance that I missed unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I had a stint in one recently, lying fcuker of a Gard said I was using my phone when driving (honestly I wasn't)

Laugh was on him though, the dope couldn't even copy my surname from off my license correctly.

/ case dismissed. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Nah,jury duty was boring enough.

I had a stint in one recently, lying fcuker of a Gard said I was using my phone when driving (honestly I wasn't)

Laugh was on him though, the dope couldn't even copy my surname from off my license correctly.

/ case dismissed. :pac:

Is that you, Prawo Jazdy?

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Wouldn't be in a district ccourt anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

Used to do it for a living. Queues of parents failing to send their kids to school, followed by - wait for it TV Licence non payers.

Never did seem a bit funny :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

endacl wrote: »
    Is that you, Prawo Jazdy?

:pac:

He had me down as 'Banjo Strung' :pac:

• Advertisement

Maphisto wrote: »
    Used to do it for a living. Queues of parents failing to send their kids to school, followed by - wait for it TV Licence non payers.

Never did seem a bit funny :eek:

Sounds a bit too Jeremy Kyle....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I've done a few stints in the family law court and its depressing as hell, never been to a criminal court and not sure I'd want to really. I'm sure its very interesting on one level but as entertainment not so much. Usually someone has had to suffer for that case to get there so it wouldn't sit right with me. Its probably no harm to go and become familiar with the judicial system just in case you ever find yourself in it but I can't understand trial groupies who go to every day of a case.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

I'd be interested in doing this.

I served on a jury recently and whenever things started to get interesting, we were sent out! We were all pretty curious to know what was going on in our absence.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭userod

Bring popcorn. Great craic watching all the scumbags and tinkers arguing and mingling with the judge and all the law graduates, who, in many cases have a soft spot for some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭suave.4u

Can we just go and sit and watch proceedings? is there a time the proceedings start?
    Some background detail would be nice OP.
    Maybe I will go and see one day. get some different perspective on things..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

Brego888 wrote: »
    Anyone ever done a voyeuristic tourist day out in a local district or circuit court?
    I was just talking about a law lecturer I had a few years ago who said it was a great way to spend a day watching the random cases and odd balls of the world appearing in court.
    She said it was better than a trip to the cinema and admission is free!

done it more that onece, there was a district court judge who presided near the high court in dublin who was renound for his ability to entertain the masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

userod wrote: »
    Bring popcorn. Great craic watching all the scumbags and tinkers arguing and mingling with the judge and all the law graduates, who, in many cases have a soft spot for some of them.

its not a soft spot, it is a financially soft spot, sometimes called free legaal aid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

People are mistaking what district courts are like. It's just a load of dreary stuff like drunk and disorderly, traffic offences, minor assaults , criminal damage etc.

I was up in district court once and it was boring and depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

suave.4u wrote: »
    Can we just go and sit and watch proceedings? is there a time the proceedings start?
    Some background detail would be nice OP.
    Maybe I will go and see one day. get some different perspective on things..

I don't know much more than what I said in the op. That's why I asked for views!
    As far as I know as long as you are there on time you can just go sit down the back and watch all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 andy1981

I did Jury duty once. It was very boring. The case was a joke. The scumbag junkie was a dead cert to be guilty, we all prejudged her. After looking more closly at vidoe evidence she had clearly done the opposite of what she was in for. When the verdict came back she looked shocked, her barrister looked shocked (couldnt believe she won her case), the prosecution was visible shaken... The judge who slept for most of the trial gave us the jury filthy looks!!!
    would try my best to get out of jury duty again, waste of time money etc...

Advertisement