Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depression

Options
  • 02-05-2014 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I have a job. I have a good family. I have decent friends. But yet Im always feeling crap. No matter what I do to try help myself I cant.. booked a hotel in Cork last night because I have two days off work. But all i did was waste it crying and feeling sorry for myself. Its driving me crazy feeling this way and i dont know whats wrong with me but i cant concentrate in work and my performance in work is lacking and my boss is starting to notice. Who can i ask for, for advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

You should visit your GP asap and explain how you're feeling. They may prescribe medication and/or refer you for counselling. In the meantime I would speak to your family/friends and let them know how you're feeling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

As above it all starts with the gp visit. It does get better from there.
    Here is an uplifting story I read today about a man who got through some serious stuff.
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057091324/1
    Dont be afraid to talk about it to the people you love.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I would go to your GP and consider Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT). It's a marvellous way to get to the bottom of why you're feeling the way you feel and realigning things.

Best of luck with it, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Is it a sudden onset or something gradual?

Counselling is great if it's something emotional. Emotional pain can be pretty subtle and can often go totally under the radar. Get talking.

It could be the case where it's physical http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anhedonia

If you feel concentration, function and energy are hindering work then I recommend looking a bit into diet, exercise and meditation.

Sounds like a lot of work at first but if you want to get some light on the subject it's best to see what all your options are in uncovering what it may be.

There's a large forum here for depression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I know a number of people who have been greatly helped by counselling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Aware run free lifeskills courses regularly which are CBT based. Give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Lawstudent21

Shauna176 wrote: »
    I have a job. I have a good family. I have decent friends. But yet Im always feeling crap. No matter what I do to try help myself I cant.. booked a hotel in Cork last night because I have two days off work. But all i did was waste it crying and feeling sorry for myself. Its driving me crazy feeling this way and i dont know whats wrong with me but i cant concentrate in work and my performance in work is lacking and my boss is starting to notice. Who can i ask for, for advice?

I was in similar position 18 months ago. There is alot of things I looked at before I saw a doctor. Now I feel like the person I was before it started, a person I had forgotten about. Going to the doctor really helped and based on a recommendation I picked the doctor I thought was right for me and he really was. Exercise and diet have an unbelievable affect on your mental health. Drinking too much coffee can cause lows later on, get your sugar intake balanced to avoid dips. I also phased out anyone that was having a negative influence on me. I also wrote down things I genuinely enjoyed doing (which was very little at that stage) and made sure I done them as often as possible. You will see your list increase when you are getting better and that's where the results are. I really reccommend talking to the right doctor though as I know ny doctor was a great talker and listener and that rose my confidence. If you need to know anything else don't hesitate to message

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CLABADLC

I know what that is like, I went on medication but didn't find it useful, counselling worked very well for me but depression is a hard battle! I hope you beat it, I wish you all the luck in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

I have suffered from serious depression over the last few years OP, it is an incredibly hard thing to go through in life. I tried to hide it from family and friends and it nearly broke me completely. My advice to you is to go to your GP and arrange counselling sessions, a problem shared is a problem halved. Please don't try to go it alone, people are very accepting of depression these days. If you feel comfortable with it i'd discuss it with your boss. If you had the flu or a broken leg you'd take time off work, your mental health shouldn't be treated any differently than your physical health.

There is a thread in After Hours entitled 'Lets all laugh at people with depression', the title is a bit stupid but there is a huge amount of very supportive people on there and you can post how you're feeling, it could help you become more comfortable with telling others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

I was in similar position 18 months ago. There is alot of things I looked at before I saw a doctor. Now I feel like the person I was before it started, a person I had forgotten about. Going to the doctor really helped and based on a recommendation I picked the doctor I thought was right for me and he really was. Exercise and diet have an unbelievable affect on your mental health. Drinking too much coffee can cause lows later on, get your sugar intake balanced to avoid dips. I also phased out anyone that was having a negative influence on me. I also wrote down things I genuinely enjoyed doing (which was very little at that stage) and made sure I done them as often as possible. You will see your list increase when you are getting better and that's where the results are. I really reccommend talking to the right doctor though as I know ny doctor was a great talker and listener and that rose my confidence. If you need to know anything else don't hesitate to message

I agree with every single word of this. Particularly the part I have highlighted.

Gregg's thread is one of the best ever on Boards.

You're not alone OP, there a lot of support out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭fat to ripped

Diet can have a major influence. Many people find low carb diets can have a significant impact on their mood. For some it's the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Diet can have a major influence. Many people find low carb diets can have a significant impact on their mood. For some it's the opposite.

Ditto this, I've changed my whole diet/lifestyle in the last 2 weeks after being very low for the last while and I feel a huge change mentally more than anything so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I have been suffering for years and have been on medication for almost 10 years now and I still feel like sh*t, how do you get proper counselling, i was sent for some about 4 years ago ( by a psychiatrist) to a local place, I went 4 times everytime i went i saw someone different and had to tell them everything about me from the start, it was a complete joke and a waste of time absolutely no progression, that just made me angrier than I already was / am, I can honestly say I hate my life, just cannot find the positives, sorry I did not mean to hijack your thread op.

I would google low cost counselling services in your area.

Whenever I saw psychiatrists, it was a different one each time, but it's VERY unusual to not see the same counsellor each week.

If you're based in Dublin, Target counselling are great. They talk through things on the phone, then pair you up with someone they feel will suit you. You pay only what you can afford. I paid a fiver per session. Some paid nothing. Some paid more. You see the same counsellor at the same time every week, until they and you feel you can cope alone. Took a good 8 or 9 months for me.

Advertisement