Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass unmarked grave for 800 babies in Tuam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

The home was apparently in the former Workhouse, which can be seen here on the OS 25" map from 1892.

There is already a memorial on the site to six Republicans shot by the Free State on the site in 1923.

An aerial view of the area from Bing maps, the IRA monumant being to the top left of the playground area. From the 25", it looks as if the tank was at the SE corner of the workhouse, now the small green space to the South of the playground.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

robindch wrote: »

From the Guardian Article:
    Father Fintan Monaghan, secretary of the Tuam archediocese, says: "I suppose we can't really judge the past from our point of view, from our lens. All we can do is mark it appropriately and make sure there is a suitable place here where people can come and remember the babies that died."

Strange that the Church uses Moral Relativism when it suits -despite only last March the Pope was speaking against it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    All I have been reading from your last few posts are deflections and increasing bizarre maybes
    IHI's approach reminds me of how one (ex)friend of mine behaved during the Russian invasion of Crimea earlier in the year. Every new piece of increasingly incontrovertible evidence concerning what was happening was met with an increasingly implausible explanation. All the eye-witness reports were hand-waved away as "biased". Every question was greeted with whataboutery and comments about the dark motives of the CIA, NATO and the USA.

I'd previously thought the guy one of the brighter souls around; it now seems he has some weird sight defect which renders him incapable of seeing, or sympathizing with, or even caring much about, what's in front of his nose.

wprathead wrote: »
    Strange that the Church uses Moral Relativism when it suits -despite only last March the Pope was speaking against it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

IHI's approach reminds me of how one (ex)friend of mine behaved during the Russian invasion of Crimea earlier in the year. Every new piece of increasingly incontrovertible evidence concerning what was happening was met with an increasingly implausible explanation. All the eye-witness reports were hand-waved away as "biased". Every question was greeted with whataboutery and comments about the dark motives of the CIA, NATO and the USA.

I'd previously thought the guy one of the brighter souls around; it now seems he has some weird sight defect which renders him incapable of seeing, or sympathizing with, or even caring much about, what's in front of his nose.

I don't see your point. Putin is just helping the Crimenians out of a jam.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I don't see your point. Putin is just helping the Crimenians out of a jam.

:rolleyes:

Do you just like trolling for a reaction or do you get paid for it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I get it all the time when lecturing on the Reformation.

List all the things Luther complained about - await the 'but..but... Luther was anti-Semitic'! Indeed.
    So was the Vatican.
    Neither of which is of any relevance to the accuracy of Luther's criticism of doctrinal shenanigans in Rome.

Cabaal wrote: »

That was for lols.

I think people are confusing my questioning the received wisdom on this case and the self-satisfied view that "it was the nuns wot did it" with me not caring about dead children.

I have young children myself. I am upset and outraged at the apparent maltreatment and neglect that looks to have been suffered by children in Tuam and elsewhere while under the supposed care of the Catholic Church.

Putin is just helping the Crimenians out of a jam.
    Your view of recent Crimean history is as accurate as your spelling.

Your view of recent Crimean history is as accurate as your spelling.

Crimenian is how the native Russians spell it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Is there anything written about how people outside saw things? The person who found out what was happening and closed one seemed surprised.
    wprathead wrote: »
    From the Guardian Article:

So we can't look back as it was different times but a book written in a lot more different times can tell us how to live our lives now?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRuNLIKr-3f0DTytF44NfXUJliPJ4MvWw6r0DDvGbv3AR9DvLzAB1MiuRQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I'm totally fed up with this stuff. It's actually depressing to consider what a hell hill this country was for so many people. It's no wonder we'd mass emigration and an economy that was circling the toilet in that era.

Who in their right mind would have hung around?

Perhaps the illiterate English speaking ones do. Literate speakers of Russian spell the region as "Крым" and the adjectival form is "Крымский".

Ты получаешь карту, если ты продолжаешь быть троллем.

If you're not a Russian speaker yourself, you might want to run that line past Google translate or something better.

Perhaps the illiterate English speaking ones do. Literate speakers of Russian spell the region as "Крым" and the adjectival form is "Крымский".

Tы получaешь карту, если ты продолжаешь быть троллем.

If you're not a Russian speaker yourself, you might want to run that line past Google translate or something better.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

That was for lols.
    Starting to think this is your style.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭buzsywuzsy

Covering it now on RTE Radio 1

Ты получаешь карту, если ты продолжаешь быть троллем.

You know I was joking, don't you Robin?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I am upset and outraged at the apparent maltreatment and neglect that looks to have been suffered by children in Tuam and elsewhere while under the supposed care of the Catholic Church.

But the results of an Official Investigation aren't in yet - we don't know all the facts, we mustn't rush to judgement...

Oh, just read your own responses upthread.

Gordon wrote: »
    Starting to think this is your style.

It's not. I've been quite serious and tried to be constructive.

Robin's Crimea aside sent me over the edge.

Sorry all. Straight face from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Cabaal wrote: »

On the Chinese Internet they call them 'wumao'; Party shills who post on Internet forums to defend or explain away Party excesses (of which there are oh so many). The term wumao refers to the amount (50 cents) they reputedly get paid per post.

Gotta love the RCC: they get the same service for free.

pauldla wrote: »
    On the Chinese Internet they call them 'wumao'; Party shills who post on Internet forums to defend or explain away Party excesses (of which there are oh so many). The term wumao refers to the amount (50 cents) they reputedly get paid per post.

Gotta love the RCC: they get the same service for free.

You see, you can say this, but I'll be given out to if I come back with a witty China related retort.

You see, you can say this, but I'll be given out to if I come back with a witty China related retort.

If it's witty, you won't be given out to. If it's about Wexford, you will. Who had a go at Kelly's of Rosslare earlier, btw?

pauldla wrote: »
    If it's witty, you won't be given out to. If it's about Wexford, you will. Who had a go at Kelly's of Rosslare earlier, btw?

I must say, i haven't a clue what you're talking about.

I'll come back to you with a witty China related retort if I think of one.

I must say, i haven't a clue what you're talking about.

I'll come back to you with a witty China related retort if I think of one.

I live in China, but hail from Wexford, so your witty comment about China would not offend me as readily as a comment about Wexford. Kelly's of Rosslare was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Edit: Kelly's of Rosslare was mentioned in a different thread. Oooops.

You know I was joking, don't you Robin?
    I'm not sure whether you've noticed or not, but everybody else is discussing a serious topic. You appear to be here for the gag value of 800 dead children.

As you probably didn't run that comment through a translator and as you're probably not a Russian speaker yourself, I'd just like to issue you with a formal warning to cut the crap, the misdirection, the evasion, the lols and all the rest of it. If you don't, you'll be carded or banned.

You might think this is a fitting topic for a belly laugh. Nobody else does.

Gardaí statement just read on on radio 1 - they say no investigation as apparently it could be a famine grave.

A forensic anthropologist would soon determine that except the remains are not being handed over to the coroner...

So - the Guards have dismissed it with no investigation whatsoever despite eyewitness accounts of burials been seen to take place in the 1950s and despite extensive research by a professional and highly competent historian the dead children's names do not appear in the records of any cemetery in the region.

I know for a fact, having researched such things for eneclann, that every cemetery has extensive records dating back before the famine and contain the names of all those interred there.

It seems for the Guardians of the Peace could and maybe are good enough. Sure who needs investigations anyway...

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Terrlock wrote: »
    I don't get why people here though associate the Catholic Church with Christianity, if anything it's anti Christianity, it's just another Cult that was given way to much power over the people and abused that power.

Unfortunately, insert any other religious organisation in place of catholic church, and you'll get an equally truthful sentence.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Gardaí statement just read on on radio 1 - they say no investigation as apparently it could be a famine grave.

ffs!
    Its seriously easy to confirm if this is the case,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Ah, it must be one of those rare famine era septic tanks.

Advertisement