Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Rock and Metal Opinions?

Options
  • 08-05-2014 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭

I'll go first:

1. Enter Sandman is an incredibly overrated song.

2. Like Clockwork is the most boring QOTSA album (Still good!).

3. The amount of stick Fall Out Boy got back in the day was unwarranted (except that Pete Wentz pr*ck :P).

4. Slipknot are worse than Ke$ha.

5. The Beatles weren't all that.

6. Oasis were never good.

7. Kurt Cobain wasn't murdered :P.

8. Muse haven't been good since Absolution.

9. Hotel California has a better solo than Sweet Child O' Mine.

10. Avenged Sevenfold are ruined by their singer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Hotale.com wrote: »
    I'll go first:

2. Like Clockwork is the most boring QOTSA album (Still good!).

8. Muse haven't been good since Absolution.

9. Hotel California has a better solo than Sweet Child O' Mine.

Agreed. The Black Album, I think, is overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,137 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

No. 2...tut tut!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Alter Bridge are fcukin awful.

Just awful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

The Smoke on the water guitar riff is based on a 1960's jazz tune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Thought you said UNpopular opinions? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Alter Bridge are fcukin awful.

Just awful.

I'm genuinely curious to know how'd you come to the conclusion that Alter Bridge are awful?.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Axl is a sound guy and well worth the wait for another top quality album to come out. His voice is improving with age and I feel he is maturing with age and gaining some self confidence after being bullied by former band members.

Metallica playing to Pingu and his flightless friends was inspiring.

Black metal where the vocalist puts on a 'comedy' demonic growl is the best genre as it's so sincere.

Grown men dressed up in 'comedy' face paint and costumes is awesome. It adds that much needed flavour to the already strong music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Mushy wrote: »
    No. 2...tut tut!

It was no SFTD, but I think I'll revise my decision and change Like Clockwork to Lullabies, about half of which was awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭the blunder years

5. The Beatles weren't all that.

Whether you like them or not, their influences is so undeniable. From their Studio techniques to the pure song writing. Stuff like Tomorrow Never Knows is absolutely brilliant and way ahead of its time. I might add huge Beatles fan :p

Also The Eagles are pure muck, check out the Flying Burrito Brothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,137 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

It was no SFTD, but I think I'll revise my decision and change Like Clockwork to Lullabies, about half of which was awful.

Thats just as bad IMO haha.

My unpopular opinion is that slipknot are dull live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Aside from Blood and Thunder Mastodon write turgid rock numbers with stock riffs.

Aside from a few songs, Tool write turgid, bland songs with boring pentatonic guitar solos.

Meshuggah are good but write only one type of song and the shouty vocals are annoying.

Rush are incredibly boring

Dream Theatre are cheese theatre, some of their music sounds like Disney music.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Dave Mustaine isn't a bad lad.

Probably not that unpopular but Dio era Sabbath is better than Ozzy era Sabbath.

Most Death Metal (That I've heard anyway) is just noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,503 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

The vast majority of thrash/death metal bands from the last 20 years might be some of the most technically gifted musicians of all time, but they have no idea how to write good tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

I agree with the poster above that the Beatles aren't worth the hype. Yes they were influencial. Yes the music world would not be what it is today without them. But I do not get people still obsessing over them nowadays. Their music to me is boring and extremely dated. Amazing for their time but theres a lot better artists out there nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Aside from Blood and Thunder Mastodon write turgid rock numbers with stock riffs.

Aside from a few songs, Tool write turgid, bland songs with boring pentatonic guitar solos.

Meshuggah are good but write only one type of song and the shouty vocals are annoying.

Rush are incredibly boring

Dream Theatre are cheese theatre, some of their music sounds like Disney music.

I don't think we can ever be friends :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

hetfield should shut the fcuk up and just play, when he talks now it's cringeworthy and embarrasing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I find Mastodon and Gojira to be incredibly overrated, and in particular I find Mastodon boring.

Grindcore is much, much better than prog metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Queen are shit. Utter, utter shit. They don't have a single song worth the time.

Metallica should have been all shot after '...And Justice for all'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭the blunder years

I agree with the poster above that the Beatles aren't worth the hype. Yes they were influencial. Yes the music world would not be what it is today without them. But I do not get people still obsessing over them nowadays. Their music to me is boring and extremely dated. Amazing for their time but theres a lot better artists out there nowadays.

Why can't people obsess over music that is years old, regardless if you get it or not. I listen to some of those early rock n roll records from sun records and chess records, and the sound and energy is great. Everything dates in some fashion or another, be it in recording production value or lyric content. To say they were good for there time, is like saying ah sure Hendrix and Zeppelin were neat for their time.
    Also whats with all the Metallica hate, from being disappointed to actually wanting to kill em all, the reactions are so extreme. Don't buy the records or go the show, Metallica fans who hate Metallica seems to be quite popular.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I'm genuinely curious to know how'd you come to the conclusion that Alter Bridge are awful?.

Because I think they are?

:confused:

I could ask why you are such a big fan if theirs.

It's personal preference.

This thread's gonna end well :pac:

tumblr_m6cvot25tS1qb8kps.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

I think there's a difference between people who appreciate music for what it is, and people who appreciate music for what it sounds like.

The people who appreciate music for what it is can appreciate a Disney-like Dream Theater melody because it requires more of a musical ear.

The people who appreciate music for how the sound makes them feel are less likely to appreciate melodies and changing tempos because they're looking instead for an atmosphere, specific textures, and probably lyrics that speak to them.

Protest the Hero is a good example - I can very much appreciate what they do, but to a huge chunk of metal fans they are just emo garbage, because that's what their music SOUNDS like - but it's not the real reason why they're a good band.

So my unpopular metal opinion is - if you don't at least appreciate more melodic/experimental/prog bands you are lacking a certain ear. You call them cheesy or boring because you're unable to see past their overall sound, in order to see what makes their actual compositions great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Slayer are a racist band, because of 'Angel of Death' and a 'Reinhard Heydrich' sticker on Jeff's guitar...

...this one lasted in Germany for decades, and I am not sure, if there is still people around who believe in that crap :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Chinese Democracy - Despite the history, & money poured into it & the revolving door of members post original line up, isn't a bad album, once you've put bias aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Moffett

Thrash metal has had a far greater influence on the modern hardcore sound than hardcore punk ever did on thrash metal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Rammstein are a boring and highly unoriginal band who stole most of their ideas from bands like Laibach and KMFDM.

Rammstein are a boring and highly unoriginal band who stole most of their ideas from bands like Laibach and KMFDM.

:eek: Rammstein mightn't be the most original band out there, I'd add Oomph! in there with where they got their sound, but they're ANYTHING but boring!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

All German thrash metal is horrendous. No feeling, no inventiveness, just a blueprint that they stick to time and time again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Moffett

That will be especially unpopular with the hipster Neo-Punks who claim that early Sodom was an influence on the crust movemnt. Here's one, Amebix were full on heavy metal by the time they recorded their first LP. Ausgebombt!

Advertisement