Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DOMS help!

Options
  • 04-05-2014 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

He everyone, was just looking for some advice from more advanced gym goers. I started the gym about 7 months ago and it's been great, I lost 40 pounds going and i'm steadily losing as each week goes by.

I had my first gym assessment last thursday and i was introduced to a weight program to go along with my cardio, so now it's:

Tues - Body Combat
    Thurs - Body Combat and then Yogalates
    Sat - Spin (This is a new class i've yet to start)

And my weight program is before the first class on those days above.

So that's my schedule but i wasn't able to start my spin class on Saturday because of muscle ache, and i'm talking all over and incredibly painful. I was sore the day after lifting but the day after that was agony. I figured that's what happens when you do something new but it's like with an injury, it stops you in your tracks :((

wow long, but I thought that information was needed before my question, my question is - what do i do, that was the worst muscle aching i've ever experienced TBH and i really wanted to go to the spin on the saturday and continue the lifting program but i just couldn't, i felt horribly guilty but that's normal when i miss a class, one part of me was telling the other i should have just worked through it but the other part was saying that i'd injure myself. So what do i do? do i go and do the class and lift even with that DOMS you get after working out or do i rest/ What do you do?? Any advice would be helpful, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I find a steam room or sauna will help with DOMS if they are really bad. Maybe a protein drink or BCAAs after you train would help to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭lighterman

rocheypal wrote: »
    He everyone, was just looking for some advice from more advanced gym goers. I started the gym about 7 months ago and it's been great, I lost 40 pounds going and i'm steadily losing as each week goes by.

I had my first gym assessment last thursday and i was introduced to a weight program to go along with my cardio, so now it's:

Tues - Body Combat
    Thurs - Body Combat and then Yogalates
    Sat - Spin (This is a new class i've yet to start)

And my weight program is before the first class on those days above.

So that's my schedule but i wasn't able to start my spin class on Saturday because of muscle ache, and i'm talking all over and incredibly painful. I was sore the day after lifting but the day after that was agony. I figured that's what happens when you do something new but it's like with an injury, it stops you in your tracks :((

wow long, but I thought that information was needed before my question, my question is - what do i do, that was the worst muscle aching i've ever experienced TBH and i really wanted to go to the spin on the saturday and continue the lifting program but i just couldn't, i felt horribly guilty but that's normal when i miss a class, one part of me was telling the other i should have just worked through it but the other part was saying that i'd injure myself. So what do i do? do i go and do the class and lift even with that DOMS you get after working out or do i rest/ What do you do?? Any advice would be helpful, thanks.

I'm by no means an expert but I'm going to put it out there.

It doesn't sound like DOMS in the sense that its lactic acid build up. It sounds to me as if your in pain after the weight lifting session which is damaging the muscle fibres which is what you are aiming to do so the pain is very common and really can you can do is take your rest days and allow your muscles to heal. But not too many in a row or you'll lose your gains.

My pains were so bad one time I was taking diclac as advised and given by chemist and OTC pain killers

• Registered Users Posts: 39,032 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

lighterman wrote: »
    It sounds to me as if your in pain after the weight lifting session which is damaging the muscle fibres
    That's exactly what DOMs is. Not lactic acid build up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Rest is all you can do.
    The first week or two of sore muscles are always the worst. Even for an experienced lifter who has had to take time out for one reason or another, getting back in can be a pain.
    Generally day two after the training session is the worst. After that it usually begins to ease but get back and do your training again as soon as you are able. It won't be as bad next time and soon enough you'll easily fit that spin class in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rocheypal

thanks everyone for the good advice. I go back to the gym Tuesday, i wanna get straight back in and continue and it's improving greatly since the Saturday, you're right, the second day is when that DOMS peaks and i guess practice will make it easier too.

If i ever experience that sort of DOMS again, i'm definitely gonna rest without guilt until it improves, theres no way i want an injury that will put me out for longer.

Weirdly enough i was sore from the weights but the worst of the DOMS was in my legs, bum and thighs - I think the TRX squats i was given were killer and all the stretching and clenching in yogalates didn't help one bit.

So any suggestions along with the resting? should i put like deep heat on or something, I applied it (uggh it stinks) on the Friday and that warm feeling seemed to help but it did absolutely nothing on the Saturday when the DOMS was at it's peak, should i pop a Nurofen before the weights? again any suggestions would be great :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

There is no real solution, eat right and rest properly. You'll soon learn to accommodate not being able to walk properly for a few days after leg day.

It's all part of the fun.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

I've read a few studies in the ISSN journal that talk about the efficacy of cherry juice in reducing muscle soreness. Apparently it helps to prevent muscle damage which leads to a reduction in pain and stiffness in the muscles. Reccommended guidelines state 30ml of cherry juice is adequate.

Haven't tried it myself though, but i have heard good reports from others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Do take the time to rest but that doesn't mean just sit around on the couch all day. Some light activity is much better for recovery for getting the blood flowing such as going on a walk.

Can't really adding more but how I combat doms;

Eat well. Make sure you're getting enough protein.
    Rest. Like blacktie says, light activity is good. Even just go for a walk or a light jog.
    Foam Rolling.
    Epsom salt baths. I love these for achey muscles, quote soothing.

Well done on the weight loss, that's pretty fantastic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

gymfreak wrote: »
    I've read a few studies in the ISSN journal that talk about the efficacy of cherry juice in reducing muscle soreness. Apparently it helps to prevent muscle damage which leads to a reduction in pain and stiffness in the muscles. Reccommended guidelines state 30ml of cherry juice is adequate.

Haven't tried it myself though, but i have heard good reports from others.

I've been using powdered montmerency cherry extract, I bought it on a whim when the protein works had 50% off. I definitely notice a difference between taking it and not though given the cost I wouldn't pay full price for it. Active recovery helps too OP, bodyweight squats etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement