Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lee Westwood

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

GreeBo wrote: »
    I'd put monty above Harrington in terms of greatness I think tbh.

Wwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhaaaaaaatttttttt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

scrubber72 wrote: »
    Wwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhaaaaaaatttttttt?

This should be interesting... :D

Obviously major wins are given more weight over normal tour wins (quality of field etc) but at what point should a lot more wins be taken into account?

Excluding Paddy's 3 majors, look at the stats vs Monty..

Paddy
    11 European Tour wins
    2 PGA Tour wins

Monty
    31 European Tour wins.

There is a big difference in wins right there. Similarly, Tiger is only 3 wins off the all time PGA Tour wins record but he is still 4 majors short of Jack.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I think majors carry more weight / respect.

If tiger was to put away his clubs today he alway be referenced as having less majors than Jack and not on how many tour wins he had (not saying he wont get recognition for his achievements and contribution to golf but it's just not the same)
    Same with Padraig as well, he's always referred to as "3 time major winner" Not multiple tour winner

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I think majors carry more weight / respect.

If tiger was to put away his clubs today he alway be referenced as having less majors than Jack and not on how many tour wins he had (not saying he wont get recognition for his achievements and contribution to golf but it's just not the same)
    Same with Padraig as well, he's always referred to as "3 time major winner" Not multiple tour winner

Yeah I can see that side as well. Proving that point - I wonder how many people on here know who has the most PGA Tour wins? Everyone knows Jack is at the top of the majors tally.

But again... big difference between the amount of Monty's wins vs Paddy's....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Ha ha, I think Monty would trade multiples of his European tour wins for Harrington's two Opens.
    Harrington all the way...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

Tour wins vs Major wins are two completely different animals and yardsticks to judge a player on.

IMHO, in terms of what might be termed, by some, as "the greats of the game" - its all about majors, and as a result Monty isn't even in the discussion. Even the likes of Ben Curtis et al are ahead of him. Monty is probably even now still a better player than Curtis, but Curtis has his place at the top table because he has a major.

Of course, he's one of the best ever European players, no question, but strictly IMHO, the pantheon of the greats is for major winners only.

I'd exclude the once off major winners from the equation, guys who never ever won again for example...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

slave1 wrote: »
    Ha ha, I think Monty would trade multiples of his European tour wins for Harrington's two Opens.
    Harrington all the way...

Yes I'm sure Montgomerie would have loved to have won a major but his overall record puts him way above Harrington in consistency.

Consistency was not the criteria, it was greatness and Paddy's got a great record without his majors and with them a better record than Monty, a lot of Monty's wins were to 'relatively' weak euro fields, Paddy's won twice on the PGA which already beats Monty as he never won outside Europe, oh and then there's the Two Opens and a US major.
    One things for certain, they both beat Westy...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

IMO Montgomerie's record is better than Harrington's and he was the better player. Anyway this is a thread about Westwood so I'll leave the Harrington/Montgomerie debate for another thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I've been on about this for a good while.

I don't think people should underestimate Lee's position on the list of top European wins ever.
    Look at the people around him and below him.

Of course the majors are a big deal.

But monty is one of the best European golfers ever.

Most consistent , top performing pro we have seen.

I think you can be blinded by the majors too.

I'd hazard a guess that Monty is more important a golfer then half the major winners - Lee a quarter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Yeah I can see that side as well. Proving that point - I wonder how many people on here know who has the most PGA Tour wins? Everyone knows Jack is at the top of the majors tally.

But again... big difference between the amount of Monty's wins vs Paddy's....

Without looking it up, I'm guessing Slammin' Sammy or even Byron Nelson

Without looking it up, I'm guessing Slammin' Sammy or even Byron Nelson

First guess correct! For now anyway.... a certain Mr Woods is already back chipping and putting apparently so perhaps the end of next year might see him up top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭snaphook

I'd be very happy to take Lee's so called rubbish short game.

Bit of an old thread but still...

Westy has parted ways with Billy Foster after 10yrs and looks like it's now going to be his girlfriend

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/golf/2018/11/12/lee-westwood-retain-girlfriend-helen-storey-caddie-claiming/

Love Foster's response...."I can only wish him good luck moving forward," Foster said. "Although I do feel he could have waited more than a week before winning a million dollars!"

Advertisement