Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections 2014: What issues will you be raising with candidates on the door?

Options
  • 04-03-2014 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭

With local elections in May, what questions will you be asking canvassers when they come calling to your door?

With household charges, water metering, flood defence and planning dominating the news over the past year, the forthcoming local elections are set to be a lively affair.

So if a candidate came knocking at your door tomorrow what would you ask them? What issues affect you and yours on a daily basis? What would you like to see changed or introduced? How satisfied are you with the current crowd and what would you like to see changed tomorrow? Do local politics even matter and how should a candidate justify themselves to the electorate?

This thread is intended to raise issues that are important to you, so hopefully local candidates can take notice. Also this thread is to have no canvassing by candidates or party representatives, and any such actions will not be allowed.

We at Boards.ie will be getting in touch with as many candidates as we can, and the aim will be for them to come onto Boards to explain their policies, and to answer the questions that you the posters have posed in this threads. When that time comes we aim to use seperate threads for the candidates so that those threads can be answer and policy specific.

Finally & importantly, we would like this thread to focus on the issues that matter to you & be able to provide the candidates with a clear list of local issues as seen by local posters. If you wish to debate the issues raised - we will create a separate thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭sidcon

With local elections in May, what questions will you be asking canvassers when they come calling to your door?

With household charges, water metering, flood defence and planning dominating the news over the past year, the forthcoming local elections are set to be a lively affair.

So if a candidate came knocking at your door tomorrow what would you ask them? What issues affect you and yours on a daily basis? What would you like to see changed or introduced? How satisfied are you with the current crowd and what would you like to see changed tomorrow? Do local politics even matter and how should a candidate justify themselves to the electorate?

This thread is intended to raise issues that are important to you, so hopefully local candidates can take notice. Also this thread is to have no canvassing by candidates or party representatives, and any such actions will not be allowed.

We at Boards.ie will be getting in touch with as many candidates as we can, and the aim will be for them to come onto Boards to explain their policies, and to answer the questions that you the posters have posed in this threads. When that time comes we aim to use seperate threads for the candidates so that those threads can be answer and policy specific.

Finally & importantly, we would like this thread to focus on the issues that matter to you & be able to provide the candidates with a clear list of local issues as seen by local posters. If you wish to debate the issues raised - we will create a separate thread.

Why are you knocking on my door? If you were any good you would be already known by myself and I would know what your policies are.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Thanks, but we are really looking for questions about local issues that we can put forward to candidates when we offer them the opportunity to join us in this forum.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Is Metro North ever to proceed, I accept we are in a Financially Constrained situation, but what timescale, if any is envisaged.

With Giant Sewerage plant going to Balgriffin, what chance those of us in rural areas, but close to say Lusk village getting a sewerage line, as outlined in a previous Development plan.

With the plans for the Giant dump at the Nevitt, shelved, what are the Plans for the land purchased, local landowners are now farming what was their own land, having pocketed the purchase price, and I hope they are paying rent.

What are the plans, if any, to get rid of the Giant Shyte holding tanks beside the Lusk Ringroad, and pipe it to a treatment Plant, in the meantime, how many more houses will feed into these a Tanks.

How many acres of Residential Zoned land, is there in Fingal, under NAMA control.
    what plans if any are there to sell, or develop these land parcels.

Any plans to extend Dart, to Balbriggan, or Skerries.

Finally, any chance you could fix the potholes on my lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭shamu2new

When will Lusk get a police station which its own vehicles so they can actually respond to calls, and when will the garda resources for the north county be increased.

What do they plan to do to deal with gangs of youths in Lusk village every night terrorising residents out of their homes, smashing windows, throwing bricks, setting fires? What is their policy on juvenile delinquency - gardai are powerless.

What is their policy on getting money back into the economy when we have no disposable income left to spend after all the recent stealth taxes.

When will facilities for young people be put into Lusk to take them off the streets eg community centre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

Sort out the road up to St Maur's GAA in Rush. It is dangerous and should have been sorted years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

When will FCC be in a position to take my estate in charge considering they've recently taken a larger estate in my village (Lusk) in charge yet all FCC seem to be interested in is pointing out the water leaks in the pipes beneath our estate which we will have to use our mgmt fees to pay.

Remind me again why I am paying LPT?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'll be asking:

*What will you do to revitalise Swords Main Street and develop the castle?

*What will you do about the severe coastal erosion of our beaches in Fingal? Portmarnock in particular has been destroyed during the past 2 winters.

*Where do you stand on the issue of Metro North?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭sillyoulfool

shamu2new wrote: »
    When will Lusk get a police station which its own vehicles so they can actually respond to calls, and when will the garda resources for the north county be increased.

What do they plan to do to deal with gangs of youths in Lusk village every night terrorising residents out of their homes, smashing windows, throwing bricks, setting fires? What is their policy on juvenile delinquency - gardai are powerless.

What is their policy on getting money back into the economy when we have no disposable income left to spend after all the recent stealth taxes.

When will facilities for young people be put into Lusk to take them off the streets eg community centre?

In Fairness, local Councillors have no power over the most of the above issues, any candidate that tells you that if they are elected they :
    A) Get a Garda Station opened.
    B) Get increased Garda resources allocated, or
    C) Having taxation reduced is lying to you.

In many ways this why the local elections are a waste, because candidates campaign on populist policies that local councils do not have the power to deliver on.

I will be looking for commitments on ensuring the waste of money known as Metro North is never built or if it is that FCC does not contribute a red cent to it.

Provision of more and better play and youth facilities in the sprawling housing estate areas developed over the last 10 years or so.

Better facilities and more services on the beach in Balbriggan.

Better upkeep of the recreational areas, grass cutting, road sweeping.

Designated liaison personnel between residents committees and FCC so that communities are assisted and encouraged to develop.

An explanation as to what happened to all the development levies received by FCC over the last 10 to 15 years.

An undertaking that would be councillors will not be partaking of useless junkets with our money if they are elected.

• Advertisement

An explanation as to what happened to all the development levies received by FCC over the last 10 to 15 years.

An undertaking that would be councillors will not be partaking of useless junkets with our money if they are elected.

A Big Ugly building on Main St Swords. ( beside the Star)

Consultants Fees, and land purchase, for a Dump at The Nevitt, which never proceeded.

Oh and a few useless junkets.:P

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Property tax is the biggy for me.
    Oh, and the Skerries Garda station being under manned. It's never open at peak nonsense hours (i.e. Friday and Saturday night).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Fingal county councils stance on sporting events on the open roads (cycle races and triathlons mostly) is a big issue to me. They are the only local authority actively blocking events at the moment (grass roots events).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

alot of fine gael and labour candidates boasting about how they'll reduce the property tax by up to 15%

but we've 100% more property tax since last election

so we're suposed to be impressed that they are going to charge us for €85 instead of €100

thanks candidate

alot of fine gael and labour candidates boasting about how they'll reduce the property tax by up to 15%

but we've 100% more property tax since last election

so we're suposed to be impressed that they are going to charge us for €85 instead of €100

thanks candidate

Don't fall for that one.

http://www.thejournal.ie/gilmore-property-tax-cut-1295812-Feb2014/
    This year, 80 per cent of the money collected through the tax is supposed to be retained by local authorities to fund services.

Not Gonna Happen.

From next year, councillors have the power to reduce or increase the property tax in their area by up to 15%.

Earlier, Minister for Transport Leo Varadkar said he would support the idea of a cut to property tax.

But he added that any cut in tax would have to be matched by a cut to spending.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0202/501754-property-tax/

So ask any Candidates who ''Promise '' this Cut, how they expect to balance the Budget, i.e where will the cuts be.

Had a leaflet from Tony Murphy this morning.
    Load of old rubbish, he appears to be a single issue candidate standing on the issue of water quality and water charges, neither of which will be in the remit of the next Fingal CC, so effectively he standing on the promise to do nothing, because there will be nothing he can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

martinn123 wrote: »
    Is Metro North ever to proceed, I accept we are in a Financially Constrained situation, but what timescale, if any is envisaged.

With Giant Sewerage plant going to Balgriffin, what chance those of us in rural areas, but close to say Lusk village getting a sewerage line, as outlined in a previous Development plan.

With the plans for the Giant dump at the Nevitt, shelved, what are the Plans for the land purchased, local landowners are now farming what was their own land, having pocketed the purchase price, and I hope they are paying rent.

What are the plans, if any, to get rid of the Giant Shyte holding tanks beside the Lusk Ringroad, and pipe it to a treatment Plant, in the meantime, how many more houses will feed into these a Tanks.
    Clonshaugh not balgriffin, they are in the process of connecting Lusk village to the sewage, a pipeline to portrane was completed a few years ago, it stops just at that new exercise equipment on the by pass, they had to wait till the soccer club moved as the pipe from Lusk village is going across the old pitch. Then it's joining the pipe to portrane along with the chaple farm tanks, then they are being removed.

What makes you think the farmers wouldn't be paying rent? The original owners might have got the land back, in some developments theres a clause that if plans change or nothing is done with in so many years you get land back.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

As stated in the OP, please keep this thread for questions for candidates. If you wish to discuss topics raised - start a new thread.

tHB

micraX wrote: »

What makes you think the farmers wouldn't be paying rent? The original owners might have got the land back, in some developments theres a clause that if plans change or nothing is done with in so many years you get land back.

Paying, how much, relative to the price FCC paid originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

martinn123 wrote: »
    Paying, how much, relative to the price FCC paid originally.

Rent paid for farm land is nothing todo with how much the land was purchased for..

I would ask why did the council burn off and rotavate the roundabouts on the r132/n1 the same week they got the new bit in the middle of the lizzenhall interchange landscaped. A bit stupid when they done the opposite atctge others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Washbuckler

I would ask a certain independent candidate in balbriggan why they have their posters up long before they are allowed to (April 23rd). If they don't know or are just ignoring the rules, they shouldn't be running.

I would like to ask Tony Murphy how he can claim that he will challenge FCC over water quality in Balbriggan and over water charges when neither of these are to be within the power of FCC anymore, they will be in the sole remit of Irish Water.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Since no candidate has ever canvased my apartment block in 7 years living in my current location....Main issues for me:

Redevelopment of Swords Main St
    Metro North (or substitute)
    Better upkeep of roads, grass verges
    Airside - planning disaster about to get worse when they build the (unnecessary) large supermarket between it and Holywell.
    Water charges - fair rates for flat usage in apartments - though I don't think Fingal has any say in this.
    How they voted in the mayor for Dublin fiasco (I know I can check these results but I'd like a face to face discussion).

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Carter12

Why is a certain candidate knocking on doors saying he has disassociated (sp) himself from the Labour party, yet he is still on the Labour party website ?

ye wont be getting my vote !!!

Carter12 wrote: »
    Why is a certain candidate knocking on doors saying he has disassociated (sp) himself from the Labour party, yet he is still on the Labour party website ?

ye wont be getting my vote !!!

I presume you can name individual candidates on this thread, as it's related to the Elections, if so, to whom are you referring.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Carter12

Ken Farrell

He said that to my partner last night at the door

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Let's keep this thread for questions we want to raise with candidates. Hopefully we'll get some to address the issues raised.

For discussion, see the "How Are Your Local Reps" thread - or start a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Granted I don't own a property, but even if I did I wouldn't be asking councillors about property tax - it's a national issue, the same for everyone. At least with garda stations they can make representation to the council in relation to it, but the LPT applies to every landowner in the state pretty much, no councillor is going to be able to change it.

As for things I would ask about, I'd start with a few gems:

a. whether they'd be in favour of reversing the stupid decision made not to vote in favour of a directly elected mayor (fingal mayors have no power and are a useless, president-like position of no significance)

b. Pedestrian crossings - would they vote to ban them completely where there is a suitable junction within 300m, and that new crossings should not be placed anywhere near roundabouts or have a red light function, but instead be zebra crossing type with enforcement for moron drivers who don't understand what this means

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

a question for councillors. what is the purpose of burgalar alarms going off for more then 2 minutes? either they are attended to or not. there is no purpose to them going off for another 13 minutes

this is the advice given if you want to complain you have to take court case? http://www.fingalcoco.ie/environment/clean-community/noise-pollution/ but how do you take court case about alarms that you don't know where they are coming from, are you supposed to go wandering around every time a alarm goes off? trying to find the building/alarm? even at night? through industrial estates?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I'll be meeting them at the door and asking them with camera in hand
    1. do they support household charges
    2. do they support water metering
    3. do they support mass medication with Fluoride without consent.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Advertisement