Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selective banning over calling people homophobes, but not sexists or racists

Options
  • 13-04-2014 2:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭

I was banned for a fairly substantial period for calling somebody a homophobe in AH (I'm not here to plea my ongoing ban either btw). I didn't spontaneously call him a homophobe without reason. That particular poster was a homophobe with a long, harsh history of derogatory and very clearly homophobic posts and jibes that were are very much intentional and premeditated.

My question is why was I banned for calling some something they simply and unquestionably were?
    If that's the case why aren't posters banned for calling others racist, or even sexist? I've seen that so, so many times in the forum. If I had access I could search examples quite easily as I made note of it because it's complete hypocrisy.

There seems to be a complete lack of constancy or logic in this reasoning.

If you're a homophobe with clear proof of that, that's just what you are. You don't get to be offended when someone calls you out, no more than if you are clearly racist and make derogatory comments, and get labeled as such, you don't wave the right to be offended by it since you know what you're doing and that's just simply what you are by what you chose to say.

I'd love to understand the rational behind this decision to mark some things as bannable and some as tolerable when they bare the same basic premise at their core.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Are you certain that it is marked down that one thing is bannable and another is not? Or that people aren't getting bans for calling others racist?
    Posts need to be reported, especially in a high traffic forum like AH, or else there's a good chance it'll be missed by the mods.
    Even when actioned, there may be no visible indicator of a ban. Unless you spot a prison or feedback thread, or there's mention of it in the thread etc etc.

Anyway, just my 2c. Oh, and might throw a thread into Feedback instead of FF, this place is dead. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Polarix

Bye bye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Are you certain that it is marked down that one thing is bannable and another is not? Or that people aren't getting bans for calling others racist?
    Posts need to be reported, especially in a high traffic forum like AH, or else there's a good chance it'll be missed by the mods.
    Even when actioned, there may be no visible indicator of a ban. Unless you spot a prison or feedback thread, or there's mention of it in the thread etc etc.

Anyway, just my 2c. Oh, and might throw a thread into Feedback instead of FF, this place is dead. ;)

It's something I've noticed. I've seen it countless times where some posters are labeled sexist without any repercussion, and I've seen it to a lesser degree with those who call people racist. Again, no fall out with that either. It seems completely illogical that I would be banned for something that is completely comparable to those two examples, and it's not as if I throw the phrase around without any baring either. I'd substantial reason to.

It's a massive double standard.

And cheers for moving this, was on my phone and couldn't find the right place easily.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Because in general that stating someone is a homophobe is now nearly a de rigeur tactic should the target of such not be on the same side as the current social debates. It might be perfectly clear to one party that such a poster might display such a sentiment and might be totally obvious to another poster - it is a subjective test, thus prone to different reactions from the mods.

Manach wrote: »
    Because in general that stating someone is a homophobe is now nearly a de rigeur tactic should the target of such not be on the same side as the current social debates. It might be perfectly clear to one party that such a poster might display such a sentiment and might be totally obvious to another poster - it is a subjective test, thus prone to different reactions from the mods.

Not in this case. This poster would repeatedly make derogatory remarks and built up quite a history -it was always one of the usuals that'd jump right into a gay orientated thread to create the same old rise. Saying he was a homophobe was unquestionable.

If you were to replace black with gay in the posts he would've been branded a racist and banned for a long, long time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Polarix

If it was so unquestionable why we're you really banned so ?

Polarix wrote: »
    If it was so unquestionable why we're you really banned so ?

Exactly. Apparently you can't call people homophobes under any circumstance, yet you're free to label them racist or sexist without hesitation. It's bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,696 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

edit:

thread gets to reopen, but as Feedforward is a closed forum this is going to feedback and such is going to be subject to admin approval. Fair subject if treated correctly.

There has been similar debates of this nature in the past. Generally it's all been very case by case. IMO, it falls into the realm of personal abuse at worst and Argumentum Ad Hominem at best. If a user makes themself a target by involving their persona in the topic though then they have to be prepared for the inevitable criticism. Why we need to be running around calling each other homophobes I don't exactly know but yes I could say the same thing about racists and misogynists etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,696 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

and a cordial bump.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    I was banned for a fairly substantial period for calling somebody a homophobe in AH (I'm not here to plea my ongoing ban either btw). I didn't spontaneously call him a homophobe without reason. That particular poster was a homophobe with a long, harsh history of derogatory and very clearly homophobic posts and jibes that were are very much intentional and premeditated.

My question is why was I banned for calling some something they simply and unquestionably were?
    If that's the case why aren't posters banned for calling others racist, or even sexist? I've seen that so, so many times in the forum. If I had access I could search examples quite easily as I made note of it because it's complete hypocrisy.

There seems to be a complete lack of constancy or logic in this reasoning.

If you're a homophobe with clear proof of that, that's just what you are. You don't get to be offended when someone calls you out, no more than if you are clearly racist and make derogatory comments, and get labeled as such, you don't wave the right to be offended by it since you know what you're doing and that's just simply what you are by what you chose to say.

I'd love to understand the rational behind this decision to mark some things as bannable and some as tolerable when they bare the same basic premise at their core.
    Were you actually banned for calling the poster a homophobe or was it for ignoring a mod's instructions? Because looking at your most recent post in AH (for which you received a ban), that's what it looks like to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Please contact the mod and ask them. This thread is not feedback.

If you have a dispute about a ban, please go to the dispute resolution forum and read the large explanatory image before posting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement