Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB: 2014 Regular Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Any opinions on the non-reversal of the out call at home in the Reds game?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

I miss the Clay Buchholz of last year already

Edit: He's pulled it together nicely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Coeus wrote: »
    True, Valverde especially cannot be trusted. Gee was good today, surprised he didn't get to finish the game. He didn't look injured or anything.

Great road trip, ye just need to bring that form home.

In his other starts, Gee has struggled the 3rd/4th time through the order after being unhittable the first couple of times through so maybe Collins was wary of that happening again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

I think it was the right call I think the ball got there just before Bernadina.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Insane Red Sox game last night...

The ended up winning in 14 (over five hours later), by getting a hit off a utility infielder who was pitching for the White Sox... The WS also allowed 15 WALKS in the game... whaaa...?

The best news was that Pedroia had two hits including a HR. And JBJ is still hitting the ball... and playing brilliant CF... but ugh.... it's snowy in Chicago, and they played 5 hours... bleugh...

• Advertisement

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Insane Red Sox game last night...

The ended up winning in 14 (over five hours later), by getting a hit off a utility infielder who was pitching for the White Sox... The WS also allowed 15 WALKS in the game... whaaa...?

The best news was that Pedroia had two hits including a HR. And JBJ is still hitting the ball... and playing brilliant CF... but ugh.... it's snowy in Chicago, and they played 5 hours... bleugh...

That game was still going when I got up this morning so I got to see the last couple of outs. There's usually a west coast game coming to an end when I get up but it was strange seeing one going on in Chicago.

I think it was the right call I think the ball got there just before Bernadina.

But under the new rules, the catcher can't position himself where he's blocking the plate until after he has the ball.

For those that haven't seen it

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/70610408/v32121767/?c_id=cin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Catcher clearly blocking the plate before the ball arrived in my view

Benimar wrote: »
    Catcher clearly blocking the plate before the ball arrived in my view

he has the ball before Bernadina arrives though would be my interpretation of it. He only has to get out of the way if the ball doesn't get there before the runner, which in my opinion from the replays it did. Just about mind you

• Advertisement

But under the new rules, the catcher can't position himself where he's blocking the plate until after he has the ball.

I think this rule is going to take some time and common sense by umps. In this case I think its the right call, the ball gets there a split second before the runner in my opinion. So technically he can position himself there. But like all rule changes its open to interpretation. Funniest thing in that game was the cameraman missing the steal by Hamilton because it was so quick. Ridiculous. I still think he steals 100 bases. I know he is having trouble getting on but he's ridiculously quick

Quote from the Pirates catcher........

"No one knows exactly what's going on. Everyone's confused. It's creating more nonsense than it should. Personally I'd rather go back to the way it was. I'll take that hit right there, roll over, cross my fingers and hope nothing bad happens. That play right there, when he called him out, I was like, well, I was blocking the plate and they're going to call him safe."

Funniest thing in that game was the cameraman missing the steal by Hamilton because it was so quick. Ridiculous. I still think he steals 100 bases. I know he is having trouble getting on but he's ridiculously quick

It's pretty bad when the Reds send two batters up in the first inning and score a run without a bat ever touching the ball.

It's pretty bad when the Reds send two batters up in the first inning and score a run without a bat ever touching the ball.

I play in a fantasy team for a bit of money and one of the lads had this to say about Hamilton - " he only needs to get on base 70 times to steal 100 bases" .. that could be true. :D:D

I play in a fantasy team for a bit of money and one of the lads had this to say about Hamilton - " he only needs to get on base 70 times to steal 100 bases" .. that could be true. :D:D

If not stolen bases, he's going to score alot of runs......now that Votto is behind him and pitchers have to throw him fastballs. (3 homers and 7 RBIs in 5 games suggest it's working)

As long as he can improve his OBP, he could be one of the most valuable players in the league. Very small sample size I know (like it is for rating any player at this stage, whether you're praising or slating a player) but his OBP is only .220 so if he improves that, he's nearly almost a guaranteed run.

(3 homers and 7 RBIs in 5 games suggest it's working)

Too small a sample size to be jumping to that conclusion yet I'd say. Pitchers are clever and they figure things out so I wouldn't expect that rate of success to be sustained.

Too small a sample size to be jumping to that conclusion yet I'd say. Pitchers are clever and they figure things out so I wouldn't expect that rate of success to be sustained.

Yes pitchers will adapt, but they still have limited options........unless they are willing to let Hamilton steal at will, they will have to limit off-speed pitches and throw votto mostly fastballs......of course if hamilton makes it to 3rd, they can revert to pitching around votto.

Yes pitchers will adapt, but they still have limited options........unless they are willing to let Hamilton steal at will, they will have to limit off-speed pitches and throw votto mostly fastballs......of course if hamilton makes it to 3rd, they can revert to pitching around votto.

That's presuming Hamilton's on base. As I said a couple of posts ago, unless he can improve his OBP (and it's too early to say whether he will or won't), it doesn't matter who's batting behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

That's presuming Hamilton's on base. As I said a couple of posts ago, unless he can improve his OBP (and it's too early to say whether he will or won't), it doesn't matter who's batting behind him.

Rajai Davis (ex Blue Jays, now Detroit) has the same problem. Will steal plenty of bases throughout the season, but his OBP needs to be better. He strikes out far too much.

• Advertisement

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/11493214/v32168139/must-c-classic-yankees-turn-a-triple-play-in-the-2nd/?c_id=mlb

You've gotta love the triple play*

* except if it's your team hitting into it!

Time to build momentum......Reds travel to Chicago where they have a .940 winning percentage in the last 2 seasons.

Time to build momentum......Reds travel to Chicago where they have a .940 winning percentage in the last 2 seasons.

Don't know if you listen to ESPN's Baseball Tonight podcast but the Reds manager was on today. Might be worth a listen for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

In his other starts, Gee has struggled the 3rd/4th time through the order after being unhittable the first couple of times through so maybe Collins was wary of that happening again
    I guess that makes sense but handing a lead over to the bullpen, is that any better :confused:

I'm seeing on Twitter that Ike looks to be on his way and that Pittsburgh is his landing spot...

Probably tired of me posting about Billy Hamilton......but his speed continues to amaze me.

I don't think this hit would be a double for most players in baseball, but that isn't what caught my attention......it was the speed of Hamilton as he slid into 2nd (and the fact that he still somehow stopped on the base)

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2014_04_18_cinmlb_chnmlb_1&mode=video&content_id=32173235&tcid=vpp_copy_32173235

Coeus wrote: »
    I'm seeing on Twitter that Ike looks to be on his way and that Pittsburgh is his landing spot...

I like Ike and hope it works out for him. I think the change of scenery will do him good so hopefully he can rediscover his form from a couple of years back. Another player on a another club that I'll continue to check in on and root for (although my 'I like Ike' t-shirt will have to be retired now)

I know they did get some scrub in return but apparently the big part of the deal is the 'player to be named later'. Alderson said it's someone significant but can't say who at this stage which probably means it was someone taken in last year's draft who can't be moved for a year.

Who'd have thought when the season started, that after 3 weeks, Aaron Harang and Alfredo Simon would be the top 2 in NL ERA.......a veteran that wasn't really wanted by anyone, and a long reliever covering for an injured starter.

498 for Albert Pujols. Him reaching 500 has kind of gone under the radar don't you think or do round numbers line 400, 500, 600 not mean anything anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Another man going slightly under the radar - Ervin Santana.

Pitching better than ever this year. Hope he keeps it up.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Rough rough night for the Yankees...

Advertisement