Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

It is not a matter of writing off any one. Before the year is out Tommy Walsh will remind people of just how great a player he is however for the moment we need to see B Kennedy, J holden along with J Power and M Kelly being given more game time in what will be a good test at as near championship pace as we will get this early in the year Developing the squad is still more important than settling on a final championship first fifteen..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Grats

It is not a matter of writing off any one. Before the year is out Tommy Walsh will remind people of just how great a player he is however for the moment we need to see B Kennedy, J holden along with J Power and M Kelly being given more game time in what will be a good test at as near championship pace as we will get this early in the year Developing the squad is still more important than settling on a final championship first fifteen..

Very true and while M Rice couldn't be up to speed yet he needs game time urgently. Hence he should start next Sun as suggested by you. Indeed M Fennelly is in the same boat. Had forgotten that JJ went off injured in the Wexford game but by all accounts he came through fine with the Fenians at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Tommy Walsh is one of the greatest hurlers of all time, but to be honest he has been struggling for two years now, he still got awat with it to an extent through pure class and determination but the legs have been wilting since the league campaign of 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TheBomber14

Tommy Walsh is one of the greatest hurlers of all time, but to be honest he has been struggling for two years now, he still got awat with it to an extent through pure class and determination but the legs have been wilting since the league campaign on 2012.

still better than any back tipp have

Mature! And what to fcuk it has to do with the KK starting 15 for Sunday is anyones guess :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

We should have an All Ireland Final as usual then two weeks later in the event that Kilkenny did not play Tipp in said final we should have al Kilkenny V Tipp match held on the Urlingford border just for local bragging rights. The craic would be mighty.Referee not needed or wanted.

Tommy Walsh has been struggling for two years - How enlightening!

Grats wrote: »
    Tommy Walsh has been struggling for two years - How enlightening!

Try read what I actually said. Right seen that you are so bitter and paranoid I'll spell it out for you, in the 2012 league campaign Tommy was well beaten by Noel McGrath, Maurice Shanahan and Cathal Naughton and absolutely destroyed by Danny Sutcliffe.

He came through this and Cody (understandably) showed faith in him and he had a reasonably solid championship but has not been his usual brillian self since, a fact reflected by his exclusion from teh last two all star teams despite having won one in the 9 previous years.

As you would so profoundly put it yourself, please 'enlighten' me as to what part of the above you disagree with?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TheBomber14

Try read what I actually said. Right seen that you are so bitter and paranoid I'll spell it out for you, in the 2012 league campaign Tommy was well beaten by Noel McGrath, Maurice Shanahan and Cathal Naughton and absolutely destroyed by Danny Sutcliffe.

He came through this and Cody (understandably) showed faith in him and he had a reasonably solid championship but has not been his usual brillian self since, a fact reflected by his exclusion from teh last two all star teams despite having won one in the 9 previous years.

As you would so profoundly put it yourself, please 'enlighten' me as to what part of the above you disagree with?

premierstone has really shown himself up i think here. Hilarious statements about tommy walsh. I reckon we should ignore him for the forseeable future on every forum. He has all the hallmarks of a WUM/ troll.

premierstone has really shown himself up i think here. Hilarious statements about tommy walsh. I reckon we should ignore him for the forseeable future on every forum. He has all the hallmarks of a WUM/ troll.

Absolutely on the money and that's precisely why I drew him out. This is the very same poster who couldn't stay off this forum in the run up to our league game with Tipp and then disappeared until his county won a game or two!

He ought to concern himself with the many issues that O'Shea is trying to address with the Tipp panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Junior D

Tommy Walsh is one of the greatest hurlers of all time, but to be honest he has been struggling for two years now, he still got awat with it to an extent through pure class and determination but the legs have been wilting since the league campaign of 2012.

In fairness to Premierstone, I can see his point of view. Tommy's performances have been in decline in the last 2 years, I don't think theres any denying. He has had some poor games and has made some mistakes the pre-2012 Tommy would never have made. I think come championship games though, he has the ability and the temperament to step up and still be a top class wing-back as proven by last years championship games IMO.

The pre-2012 Tommy was pretty much untouchable, probably the best all-round wing-back the game has ever seen.

As for the 2012 league, to say he was well-beaten by those mentioned I think is bit of an exaggeration, apart from Sutcliffe in Nowlan Park. But after all the hurling Tommy has done over the years and his advancing age, I wouldn't put to much weight into these performances. After all, the big one is in September, not April!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Lads if ye can't see Tommy has declined in the last 18 months to 2 years you are just not paying attention. He's one of the best players I've ever seen but he has struggled recently.

I think a move out the field could benefit him actually.

He should've been tried out at midfield or wing-forward during the league I think.
    Don't think he'd cut it at wing-forward, but I would be interested to see how he'd go in a kind of midfield sweeping role. No real marauding bursts forward, but staying around the midfield/half-back area sweeping ball and making himself an option for passes from the full/half back lines.

I think he'd have the intelligence to play the role, without his declining pace being as inhibiting a factor

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Staying around Kilmacow direction at the mo and wouldn't mind catching a few senior club matches this Summer.

What games would be good to try and get to and where is best to look up upcoming fixtures?

Thanks.

Staying around Kilmacow direction at the mo and wouldn't mind catching a few senior club matches this Summer.

What games would be good to try and get to and where is best to look up upcoming fixtures?

Thanks.

www.kilkennygaa.ie

adrian522 wrote: »
    Lads if ye can't see Tommy has declined in the last 18 months to 2 years you are just not paying attention. He's one of the best players I've ever seen but he has struggled recently.

I think a move out the field could benefit him actually.

To be fair, nobody has suggested otherwise do you not think?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Fair enough, I thought it was being suggested that he hadn't shown a decline in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Thanks.

If your down near Kilmacow, there wont be very many Senior matches on around ya as theres no Senior far down South of the county that some of the pitches like Kilmacow or Mooncoin for example would serve as a halfway point. Id say the nearest you would have to travel for a Senior game is Thomastown but as someone mentioned previously, the kilkenny gaa website is perfect to look up the fixtures and the venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    If your down near Kilmacow, there wont be very many Senior matches on around ya as theres no Senior far down South of the county that some of the pitches like Kilmacow or Mooncoin for example would serve as a halfway point. Id say the nearest you would have to travel for a Senior game is Thomastown but as someone mentioned previously, the kilkenny gaa website is perfect to look up the fixtures and the venues.

Cheers mate. Are Glenmore not senior? Unless it's a different Glenmore to the one between New Ross and Ferrybank.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,306 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I don't see why people are getting hot and bothered about what Premierstone said about Tommy Walsh :confused:

@TheBomber14
    Your posts certainly have the hallmarks of trolling. Why did you come to the Kilkenny GAA thread to do this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Junior D wrote: »
    He should've been tried out at midfield or wing-forward during the league I think.
    Don't think he'd cut it at wing-forward

Not that Tommy should be playing in the forwards these days, but to say that he wouldn't cut it in the forwards is wrong in my opinion.He managed there just fine in 2003.

Not that Tommy should be playing in the forwards these days, but to say that he wouldn't cut it in the forwards is wrong in my opinion.He managed there just fine in 2003.

When I said I don't think he'd cut it at wing-forward, I meant now, not in the past. He was a serious forward back in 2003, but I just don't think he has it in himself any more to play in that position

Cheers mate. Are Glenmore not senior? Unless it's a different Glenmore to the one between New Ross and Ferrybank.

No Glenmore are Intermediate and have been for a good few years now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Kil v Gal
    E Murphy
    P Murphy JJ Delaney B Kennedy
    P Walsh B Hogan C Buckley
    M Fennelly R Hogan
    W Walsh C Fennelly TJ Reid
    J Power M Kelly H Shefflin

Subs
    D Herity
    M Walsh
    J Holden
    T Walsh
    C Fogarty
    K Joyce
    T Keogh
    L Ryan
    A Fogarty
    JJ Farrell
    J Brennan
    Team Supplied by Kilkenny GAA Supp.Club

Interesting team I reckon they'll do it Sunday. No Jackie Larks or Richie Power named in the subs!

Strange indeed and no Michael Rice listed in subs either.Glad to see John Power getting a chance but I wonder at the wisdom in playing Henry. We all know Henry will be a vital cog come championship time. I have a feeling it is make or break time for Brian Hogan to re-stamp his authority at center back. I hope he cuts it as we need him. I would be happy enough with the team as selected. We are about to learn a lot about our prospects this year.

Strange indeed and no Michael Rice listed in subs either.Glad to see John Power getting a chance but I wonder at the wisdom in playing Henry. We all know Henry will be a vital cog come championship time. I have a feeling it is make or break time for Brian Hogan to re-stamp his authority at center back. I hope he cuts it as we need him. I would be happy enough with the team as selected. We are about to learn a lot about our prospects this year.

You just have to wonder what is going on with Michael Rice? He as been fit for a good while now and you just have wonder why Cody isnt playing him cos lets face it he does need games at this level again. Another one is Ger Aylward, what has happened to him? Hes another there who is obviously not injured as him like Rice was named in the match programme to play for his club last weekend. Other for that very happy with the team. Good to see John Power in there and also Brian Hogan, reckon its last chance saloon for him now to stamp his authority now in a big game, the conditions and the hard ground probably should suit him better so it will be interesting to see how he goes

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Southern Belle

You just have to wonder what is going on with Michael Rice? He as been fit for a good while now and you just have wonder why Cody isnt playing him cos lets face it he does need games at this level again. Another one is Ger Aylward, what has happened to him? Hes another there who is obviously not injured as him like Rice was named in the match programme to play for his club last weekend. Other for that very happy with the team. Good to see John Power in there and also Brian Hogan, reckon its last chance saloon for him now to stamp his authority now in a big game, the conditions and the hard ground probably should suit him better so it will be interesting to see how he goes

Ger Aylward went off with an ankle injury in the Glenmore match last Sunday, just back from injury-don't think there's any great conspiracy there. Regarding Michael Rice, I imagine he's being given every chance to be fit for championship?

Ger Aylward went off with an ankle injury in the Glenmore match last Sunday, just back from injury-don't think there's any great conspiracy there. Regarding Michael Rice, I imagine he's being given every chance to be fit for championship?

Yes I just heard about Ger Aylward, heard he was only back from injury and he reinjured himself last weekend. I was told it was a broken finger he sustained last weekend. It was ankle before that.....Michael Rice has been playing for Carrickshock and training for a good while and supposedly went well last weekend for them. Very surprised hes not being given game time to be honest or at least named on the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Southern Belle

Yes I just heard about Ger Aylward, heard he was only back from injury and he reinjured himself last weekend. I was told it was a broken finger he sustained last weekend. It was ankle before that.....Michael Rice has been playing for Carrickshock and training for a good while and supposedly went well last weekend for them. Very surprised hes not being given game time to be honest or at least named on the bench

Def an ankle injury he took on Sunday, after returning from an ankle injury too. V unfortunate for the chap just back from surgery-needs game time badly

• Advertisement

It has taken Michael Rice a long time to recover from the various injuries. It is probably wise not to play him two Sundays in a row just yet. At least I hope that is what is behind BC's thinking but as always the same BC knows far more than I ever will about selecting a team.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement