Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with new build

Options
  • 16-04-2014 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I have recently got help for specing out a machine see here

The person changed the Graphics card to i think 660 Gigabyte card.

Ok machine went together fine installed windows 7 and updated some drivers.

Now since they took it home the memory is playing up.( i think thats the issue)

They machine after taking it home turn on but straight off not getting to bios just fan spin then off.

So i took out one memory chip and booted fine. Reseated memory chip again and booted fine.

If has been on and off not booting.

So motherboard is Asrock H87 Pro4 Bios version is 1.90 which is most up to date I didnt update to this.
    Memory Gskill F3-10600CL9D-16GBNT (which is not on the memory compatibility list)

We had memory in slot 1 and slot 3 then for some reason only showing 8gb.
    Moved memory to slot 2 and 4 16gb showing.

Then machine went back to not booting.

I have the person running memtest on one stick for 5 hours on 1 stick at a time to see if errors.

I checked the bios i remember for the timing at all looked fine on default detect but never saw the volts i dont think.

Any help and advice on this would be good.

Found this link on Gskill and H87 Pro 4 is on the list of motherboards
    http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-10600cl9d-16gbnt-

Thanks
    John

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

So it wont boot at all now? If thats the case then I would suspect the GPU to be the problem. Go into your bios settings and change the PCI-E from Auto to 2 or 3 and see if that changes it. I had the same issue with the same board.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

It will boot only if you remove or reseat memory.

I will check this thanks for the advice will check this too

So your machine would not boot at all or just to bios as this machine will not boot to bios when the problem occurs and removing memory or moving memory is the fix only temp until system shuts down for a while(overnight) then can be an issue again.

But when memory test is over with check this.

Thanks
    John

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

When I had the issue it would start up but display nothing and just die off after a minute.

Got a start error

The following Channel memory did not pass cpu memory please remove the memory then plug again
    Channel A

with 4 beeps

Update we seemed to have fixed the issue the memory was detected in bios with right timings so i never checked the dram voltage on them. The machine had set it to 1.550 so i set it to 1.500 and then ran a memtest for 20 hrs no errors. System is stable now.

Thanks

• Advertisement

taught it was fixed after the memtest but again
    Got a start error

The following Channel memory did not pass cpu memory please remove the memory then plug again
    Channel A

with 4 beeps

We are going to reseat the graphic card now and see no onboard graphic(only with compatible processor.)

I suspect mother board what do you think?

I finally got my hands on the machine.

So i cleared CMOS changed the pci-e to auto it was on Gen 1 as Gen 2 never worked before CMOS clear.

Reseated heat sink on processor.

Reseated Graphic card now all 16GB of ram showing too in windows and machine after a combination of restarts and shutdowns has no issues.

Thanks for the help

update for anyone who comes accross this issue

Had to rma memory as finally one of the chips failed.

So i think it was failing from time to time but then totally went.

Advertisement