Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freelance Graphic design pc build

Options
  • 23-10-2013 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Helping someone spec and maybe build a desktop machine for them I have built machines before but none for gaming or this sort of work.

Requirements
    PhotoShop cs6, Illustrator, DreamWeaver, Flash Edge tools Animate, Reflow, Code etc will prob start using the video editing stuff a bit more before long.

The graphic card would have to be nvidia (GTX660Ti is supposed to be good but i dont know enough about graphics)

Windows 7 rather that windows 8 (i believe you can now get windows 8 and use its licence key to install windows 7 instead.)

Budget is €1000 to €1200

Dont know about monitor yet so maybe a machine with monitor and one without at least 22inch screen.

Thanks in advance for the advice and help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

BloodBath wrote: »

Thanks for the help pre built no i would be ok setting it up for her.
    I was wondering if there is any room for upgrade in the future with this i know ram and change of graphic card but processor.

Also power supply never heard of them like the modular and silent aspect of this are they reliable and its not 80+ certified will that make a difference and if we were to upgrade would i need a different power supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

No bother.

There will most likely be a newer cpu architecture on the same socket but it won't offer much performance increase so it won't be worth it.

By the time she needs a cpu upgrade there will be several newer revisions and sockets. It will just be a case of replacing the board and cpu but it's a powerful cpu that shouldn't need upgrading for quite some time.

The psu is a decent budget option. You could go for the be-quiet system power 7 500w if you want to spend the last €10. It's silver rated.

500w is loads. The pc above would only use about 200-250w of power max.

I would like to thank all again for this but since i got this the business was being setup and looking for grants for this computer build. They decided to hold out this new year for the build but in order to get the grants they need 2 quotes for the system so was going to use scan.co.uk and hardwareversand.de for the quotes.

Since posting this the items are not in stock may not be ever again and with the new year new prices and may have chance for changes with better options available can i please get help on the setup maybe just changing a few items in the original adviced by Bloodbath.

Thanks again for all the help.

Can anyone help on this please.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

jhud wrote: »

Thanks

Yeah sure is a good build would like to keep as is if possible. What is out of stock.

Thanks

Yeah sure is a good build would like to keep as is if possible. What is out of stock.

Thanks

The graphic card is no longer available on this so thats one.

The hard drives i was going to change for red label wd for reliability.

The power supply is not available either but i would like the modular option that was all ready quoted.

Also the screen is on the low side in stock so maybe another option in case the grant takes time to proccess.

Thanks again.

Thanks

The graphic card is no longer available on this so thats one.

The hard drives i was going to change for red label wd for reliability.

The power supply is not available either but i would like the modular option that was all ready quoted.

Also the screen is on the low side in stock so maybe another option in case the grant takes time to proccess.

Thanks again.

http://www.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsps?aid=74426&agid=1627

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

It would be another €35 for a Xeon with P4600 graphics, might negate the need for a dedicated GPU at all?

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/benchmarks/workstation/xeon-e3-1200-v3/xeon-e3-1200-v3-dcc-adobe-photoshop.html

• Advertisement

http://www.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsps?aid=74426&agid=1627

This PSU in stock. Run through discount site is 53 Euro. Same with other parts.

Maybe Marcos suggestion.

Or if you really need a dedicated Gpu for sure. Will get a
    MSI N660 Gaming 2GD5/OC, GeForce GTX 660, 2GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort (V287-055R) ab

For €150 approx 10 euro more than the 650ti with considerable performance gain.

Some programs like Photoshop CS6 can benefit from a dedicated graphics card.

A 660gtx would do the trick although a lot of newer versions of programs are making use of opencl as well as or rather than cuda which means you could use an amd card like the R9 270.

Id stick with the monitor. You can grab it on Amazon if it goes out of stock on HWVS.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Some programs like Photoshop CS6 can benefit from a dedicated graphics card.

A 660gtx would do the trick although a lot of newer versions of programs are making use of opencl as well as or rather than cuda which means you could use an amd card like the R9 270.

Id stick with the monitor. You can grab it on Amazon if it goes out of stock on HWVS.

Thats true but its not all that that much of a boost relative to the additional cost of a dedicated GPU for say photoshop for example. It relly depends what parts of CS6 the OP uses most of course but I wouldn't discount p4600 completely.

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Photoshop-CS6-GPU-Acceleration-161/

Aye I've seen that link before which is why I went with the 650ti originally as it offers almost as much performance as the likes of the far more expensive 680.

I was led to believe some of the effects only work with 2gb cards as well.

How much faster is the p4600 vs the hd4000?

Aye I've seen that link before which is why I went with the 650ti originally as it offers almost as much performance as the likes of the far more expensive 680.

I was led to believe some of the effects only work with 2gb cards as well.

How much faster is the p4600 vs the hd4000?

You could be right on that score I wouldn't pretend to be an expert on the CS6 suite by any means.

I'd say at most the HD4600 is maybe in the region of 50% better than the HD4000 at the most, so it'd be a bit closer to the bottom rung discrete cards like GT 630 AFAIK. P4600 is just the server varient so it pretty much the same thing hardware wise.

I'd certainlt agree that the dedicated card is a better option, I was just throwing out a cheaper possibility for the OP to investigate, but perhaps there is no need to be penny pinching quite that much on this budget. An extra €100 or so isn't that much to be absolutely sure everything will work well, especially if the PC is to be used for earning a crust from 9 to 5.

I think a dedicated card definitely makes a bigger difference in stuff like Premier Pro (again only up to a certain point around GT 650 Ti levels where things start to level out above that again ) moreso than in photoshop, but wasn't sure if the machine will be used with PP.

I also wouldn't have a clue about the extent of GPU acceleration in the remaining programs listed in the OP, so I suppose that might be well another argument for the dedicated card just to err on the side of caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 eoin91

I've some experience with the Adobe suite (regular use of Photoshop and Illustrator for work and other various CC programs on and off ), as far as I know from what the OP listed it is only Photoshop and Premier Pro (if you go into video editing) that support GPU acceleration. Also the limit for video cards is 512mb and not 2GB according to Adobe.

With regards a GPU, if there are no plans to go into video editing then a GPU is not the most important. In the future if you plan on moving into this area, a GPU will speed up your workflow. With just Photoshop, though a GPU will speed it up ,from my experience with a strong CPU you shouldn't really notice it missing.

Another possible addition is a small scratch disc (a dedicated SSD/HHD that would be used just with Adobe applications so it has a dedicated place to store files for uninterrupted access while they are edited. I've never used a scratch disk as I have Adobe CC installed on an SSD and that is enough for my needs but if you are a power user with large files sizes (again such as going into video) it could be beneficial down the line similarly to a GPU.

Advertisement