Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still Waters No Longer Running, Derp.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

efb wrote: »
    "I don't believe in depression. There's no such thing. It's an invention. It's bull****," he said, "it's a cop out."
    He now knows better than the medical community- what an odious little man, and thats a sincerely held belief

Efb, that is not a belief. Belief indicates that you have no evidence to hold a view. In this case there is overwhelming evidence allowing one to prove that Jawn is indeed an odious little man.

It's not ok a brother and a sister John, or I'd imagine, a heterosexual man and woman who are not in a relationship.
    Why does he always insist on dragging incest into it?

He keeps dragging it in because he doesn't have an argument, now that the world has grown up enough that significant portions no longer accept "because god wills it" as an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,856 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

efb wrote: »
    "I don't believe in depression. There's no such thing. It's an invention. It's bull****," he said, "it's a cop out."
    He now knows better than the medical community- what an odious little man, and thats a sincerely held belief

People who think like this make me angry. I remember SoulandForm spewing bullshit about depresion being a "sin". People like this, who are so fucking devoid of empathy deserve to be subjected to the lowest form of depression, just so they can actually develop a sense of empathy.

I've wondered from time to time whether religious fundamentalists are empathetically retarded. Now I think I know. John Waters can go "bugger" himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Who used to be John's friends in the media?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I've wondered from time to time whether religious fundamentalists are empathetically retarded. Now I think I know. John Waters can go "bugger" himself.
    You aren't the only one to think this. You don't have to go too far to find people on this board, that appear to be extremely devout, but appear to be completely lacking in empathy.

I wonder is there something in this...? Is anyone aware of any studies that look at correlations between empathy and religiosity?

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

MrPudding wrote: »
    You aren't the only one to think this. You don't have to go too far to find people on this board, that appear to be extremely devout, but appear to be completely lacking in empathy.

I wonder is there something in this...? Is anyone aware of any studies that look at correlations between empathy and religiosity?

MrP
    Nothing recent that I can see. Google throws up these.
    http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00223980.1984.9923679#.U0qORaJrV8c
    Correlations and data associated with religious orientation categories revealed intrinsic religiosity to be directly and extrinsic religiosity to be inversely related to empathy, and social desirability factors apparently did not produce these effects

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/13674670310001606450#.U0qPCqJrV8c
    results show that, whereas empathy is unrelated to being religious, it is positively related to processing religious contents in a symbolic way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

On reading his columns I felt a great disturbance in the thesaurus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

"You have a certain hope that somebody, somewhere knows you for who you are, you kind of have some kind of naive hope that one of these people are going to stand up and say 'hang on, this is wrong, this is not this guy' and that moment
    never came."

In a passionate interview, Waters also defended previous statements he made on gay marriage and adoption which have landed him in hot water.

'Why won't somebody say I'm not a bollocks?'

Then goes on to restate the things that marked him out as a bollocks, leaving out the stuff about women and throwing writs at a fellow journo, in an interview where he describes depression as a "cop-out" and says it doesn't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Nodin wrote: »
    'Why won't somebody say I'm not a bollocks?'

Then goes on to restate the things that marked him out as a bollocks, leaving out the stuff about women and throwing writs at a fellow journo, in an interview where he describes depression as a "cop-out" and says it doesn't exist.

I was just this minute thinking that it is such a pity that prolix and bollocks don't quite rhyme, as The Prolix Bollix would be such a perfect description of our John.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

B0jangles wrote: »
    I was just this minute thinking that it is such a pity that prolix and bollocks don't quite rhyme, as The Prolix Bollix would be such a perfect description of our John.
    Given Dear John's wonky approach to vocabulary, grammar and style, having a wonky nickname seems almost appropriate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

People who think like this make me angry. I remember SoulandForm spewing bullshit about depresion being a "sin". People like this, who are so fucking devoid of empathy deserve to be subjected to the lowest form of depression, just so they can actually develop a sense of empathy.

I really think for people who're reading discussion with the likes of John or indeed SoulandForm that it is important we bring up empathy. It doesn't matter if the person you're arguing with doesn't get it, but if one person stops and realises its real people with real feelings being stood on... then you've already won, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

With apologies to Sue Townsend

Do you weep, John Waters, do you weep?
    Do you wake, John Waters, in your sleep?
    Do you weep like a sad willow?
    On your Marks and Spencer's pillow?
    Are your tears molten steel?
    Do you weep?
    Do you wake with 'The Homosexual Agenda ' on your brain?
    Are you sorry that they'll never love you again?
    When you're dressing in your blue, do you see Depression's Hue?
    Do you weep, John Waters, do you weep?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Judging by the Facebook reaction I'm seeing his depression comments could become the last straw nail in his camel shaped coffin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

He said that nobody in the meeja would stand him for him....but Brendan O'Connor did, in now infamous interview with Rory O'Connor (he said something like, I don't think John's a homophobe).

John strikes me as a man in love with the idea of his own martyrdom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

robindch wrote: »
    Given Dear John's wonky approach to vocabulary, grammar and style, having a wonky nickname seems almost appropriate.

You're right, that makes it even better; I know it's a fairly obsolete and obscure word nowadays, but it's just too perfect:

txx8LYY.jpg

Is there any part of that definition that does not match his writing style to a T?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭token56

Before I just thought he was your standard religious nut, but after his comment on depression I don't think I could possibly have a lower opinion of him. He demonstrates undeniable ignorance with everything he talks about. I really don't understand why him and his opinions are given any air time at all through any form of media.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Just saw his article at tea time. Shocking.

However one thing I noticed ... I was truly amazed at the quality of the comments under the article. Normally the Indo comments are strewn with a load of absolute drivel, but I read down through dozens of really well written responses to his appalling article. Mine is still "pending" after 2 hours ... mmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Piliger wrote: »
    Just saw his article at tea time. Shocking.

However one thing I noticed ... I was truly amazed at the quality of the comments under the article. Normally the Indo comments are strewn with a load of absolute drivel, but I read down through dozens of really well written responses to his appalling article. Mine is still "pending" after 2 hours ... mmmm.

You may have suffered rage disconnect. In your head you wrote "A number of points with regards to Mr Waters remarks - ......" but in fact wrote "fuckthefuck off, fuckthefuckOff, fuckthefuckOff ".

• Registered Users Posts: 34,285 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

"People are selectively finding things offensive to suit themselves. But what is so offensive about the word buggery? I mean it's a phenomenon, it's a word to describe a physical function. My definition is anal penetration by men. It is very clear what it means. It is a term to describe a physical function, end of story. Why is it offensive? If the act is not offensive to people, why should the word to describe it be offensive?"

He needs to put the thesaurus down and pick up a dictionary.

Origin of BUGGER
    Middle English bougre heretic, from Anglo-French bugre, from Medieval Latin Bulgarus, literally, Bulgarian; from the association of Bulgaria with the Bogomils, who were accused of sodomy
    First Known Use: 1555

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,358 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Just when you think Waters can't possibly dig a deeper hole for himself...

IYzHodm.png

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    You may have suffered rage disconnect. In your head you wrote "A number of points with regards to Mr Waters remarks - ......" but in fact wrote "fuckthefuck off, fuckthefuckOff, fuckthefuckOff ".

:D:D:D

Indo today " I am friends with many gay people" ........ you just couldn't make it up ! Hmmmm... I wonder :D

It looks like the Indo is trying to ride a wave of revulsion toward this man to boost their circulation. two, three articles on him on the front page... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,255 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Every time John Water's brain farts out of his mouth, folks be up in arms!

The question I have isn't why do people ask his opinion, so much as it is why does anybody care enough to comment.

If Water's spewings weren't discussed, then they wouldn't have the veneer of any sort of credence, and the vile little journo-gollum could go back to doing whatever it us that he does in/with/to his slimy little hole.

John, if by chance you browse this thread, yeah. I meant it. You nasty little polyp. Go away. Nobody likes you, and they're right not to. You're fundamentally unlikeable.

I don't agree. It's the absence of such light being shone on people like this, with odious opinions like this, that enabled this kind of prejudice and bigotry to continue and be quietly accepted by too many people.

I hate feeding in to the newspaper's agenda, but at this point in time in Ireland I think we need to make a stink each and every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

John Waters is one of the most sickening men in Ireland at the moment and possibly in the entire world.

The fact that he was pro-Iraq war (and defended Bush and Blair's actions that ultimately killed 1000s and brought down the world's banking systems) will dissuade anyone from associating Waters with religion. Thou shalt not kill is not on his list of commandments if he goes around defending evil wars. His current remarks on depression are more of his sickening attitude.

Men like him to me hide behind religion and use it to justify wrong be that racist or prejudice. Using religion as a way of making one person superior to another or using religion as a tool to repress or keep another down is not being religious and in fact is a form of blasphemy and it is what dictators and warmongers always do.

Waters is not directly a warmongering killer or a dictator. But he is a defender of such people and viewpoints. The TV and papers are worse for giving such dangerous people a platform constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,856 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Piliger wrote: »
    Indo today " I am friends with many gay people" ........ you just couldn't make it up ! Hmmmm... I wonder :D

It looks like the Indo is trying to ride a wave of revulsion toward this man to boost their circulation. two, three articles on him on the front page... ?

I wouldn't be surprised if the Indo was just testing the waters for the Watery One to become one of their columnists.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Folks -- John Waters may not be the wisest man ever to have walked these hallowed shores, but that's no reason to insult him -- please restrict comments to his toxic and silly ideas rather the man himself.

Thanking youze.

Thou shalt not kill is not on his list of commandments

To be honest if you take a good look at religion, you'll find none of them actually have this as a commandment either. A lot of them say they do, but they hedge the commandment with so many exceptions and qualifications that it turns out you can kill near anyone if you think of a "proper" reason first.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

endacl wrote: »
    Every time John Water's brain farts out of his mouth, folks be up in arms!

The question I have isn't why do people ask his opinion, so much as it is why does anybody care enough to comment.

If Water's spewings weren't discussed, then they wouldn't have the veneer of any sort of credence, and the vile little journo-gollum could go back to doing whatever it us that he does in/with/to his slimy little hole.

John, if by chance you browse this thread, yeah. I meant it. You nasty little polyp. Go away. Nobody likes you, and they're right not to. You're fundamentally unlikeable.

He sells papers. Is the belief. A double blind trial would really be needed to verify this. I would expect that the newspaper bosses may be surprised at the results. In any case, media seems to be going the way of getting more and more trolls to comment. Extreme lefties and righties get the most air time and the moderate groups get squeezed into obscurity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

robindch wrote: »
    Folks -- John Waters may not be the wisest man ever to have walked these hallowed shores, but that's no reason to insult him -- please restrict comments to his toxic and silly ideas rather the man himself.

PS. He's also a litigious bugger so please be careful what you say

Thanking youze.

FYP ;):D

Advertisement