Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best vehicle

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    you will also need a large fork lift to load and stack the containers

Indeed but we can use the forklift provided above.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭bushball

told ya forklifts would come in handy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

there is some sense to electric vehicles for short hop localized commuting, but i still maintain that biodieselis the best option long term.

also I wouldn't say you'd find an electric fork lift capable capable of lifting a container
    They're more than capable or they wouldn't be using them. Most the massive machinery that you see working in mines for example would be electric.

From next year when pure electrics start coming out we'll see a new breed of vehicle. They are better in just about every sense than combustion engines. They're more powerful, faster, more economical. The only thing holding them back right now is batteries but that's set to change.

I think electrics will dominate in a few years time, the cars will be so much better people will abandon combustion altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Train would be cool. Park it up in the middle of the sticks. Ready made fortress.

Train would be cool. Park it up in the middle of the sticks. Ready made fortress.
    not a bad idea but every zed for miles would be attracted to it, fair enough you can out run them but could get swamped if enough gathered, also it would take a bit of know how to operate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

ScumLord wrote: »
    They're more than capable or they wouldn't be using them. Most the massive machinery that you see working in mines for example would be electric.

From next year when pure electrics start coming out we'll see a new breed of vehicle. They are better in just about every sense than combustion engines. They're more powerful, faster, more economical. The only thing holding them back right now is batteries but that's set to change.

I think electrics will dominate in a few years time, the cars will be so much better people will abandon combustion altogether.

I agree about the future of electric vehicles, but the point I was trying to make is that an empty20 foot container weighs 2-3 tons and is 2.44m wide, the sort of for lift you would rind at aldi/tesco has a max lift capacity of 1.5 tons and a tyne length of 1m.

so it couldn't possibly lift a container

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

any industrial estate will have a few 3tonne and over capable forklifts, i used to drive a 2.5tonne hyster myself, great machines.

hyster__h2_50xm_2_5_ton_diesel_triplomast_1997_5_lgw.jpg

and those are the lightweights, there are much heavier lifters around too.

bushball wrote: »
    not a bad idea but every zed for miles would be attracted to it, fair enough you can out run them but could get swamped if enough gathered, also it would take a bit of know how to operate

Some parts of the network are miles from any road though, thats where you'd want to be parked up. You'd also see them coming a long ways out, loads of natural (ditches) and man made (fences) obstacles in the way too.

still, youll have to stop to scavenge and by the time you get back there could be dozens of zeds in your way

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

bushball wrote: »

Would imagine a bigger problem would be the fact that there would be nobody checking tracks for debris etc., so the chances of getting derailed would be much greater than pre Z outbreak.

• Advertisement

any industrial estate will have a few 3tonne and over capable forklifts, i used to drive a 2.5tonne hyster myself, great machines.

hyster__h2_50xm_2_5_ton_diesel_triplomast_1997_5_lgw.jpg

and those are the lightweights, there are much heavier lifters around too.

ah the hyster, I used to drive a 4 speed model, really confused the fcuk out of new fellas who were used to the automatics.

the other more serious problem of tyne length and spacing comes into play if you do manage to find a machine capable of carrying the weight, you still have to balance it.

overall some kind of front end loader is the way to go, it can do most of what you want the for lift for and also comes into its own building barricades and ramparts

I see you your forklift and raise you one of these bad boys.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTouQztgeXrcwBMFOTbh9oCKobDEMlT0B-SO92Vgn5T9JTAk5WCmg

JCB-Loadall-telescopic-handler-in-artwork-hoist_4503.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Right. If I were to seriously consider quickly preparing a vehicle that needed to travel (quite a lot) take serious punishment while staying reliable and be big enough to hold a few souls and their stuff and more while pushing dead vehicles and obstacles out of the way then Id go the lorry route. Now, before anyone decides to lay into me about how uneconomical they are just hear me out. Low speed and unwieldy-ness aside, a mid size rigid body diesel tanker with a crew cab and its whopping 20,000 litre tank would ensure you could go wherever you want in Ireland a few times over. I think a small pump wired to the battery and on a switch could draw diesel from the main tank into the lorries own fuel tank via some simple piping whenever it got low would suffice and is a system that could be designed in a day and implemented in an hour. Obviously when you get to the depot with your motley crew and pump in your back pack you better hope theres a a filled lorry there:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Right. If I were to seriously consider quickly preparing a vehicle that needed to travel (quite a lot) take serious punishment while staying reliable and be big enough to hold a few souls and their stuff and more while pushing dead vehicles and obstacles out of the way then Id go the lorry route. Now, before anyone decides to lay into me about how uneconomical they are just hear me out. Low speed and unwieldy-ness aside, a mid size rigid body diesel tanker with a crew cab and its whopping 20,000 litre tank would ensure you could go wherever you want in Ireland a few times over. I think a small pump wired to the battery and on a switch could draw diesel from the main tank into the lorries own fuel tank via some simple piping whenever it got low would suffice and is a system that could be designed in a day and implemented in an hour. Obviously when you get to the depot with your motley crew and pump in your back pack you better hope theres a a filled lorry there:D.

I agree lorries are the best and tankers would last you a long time but you have to consider on where you can get fuel from and the tank must be cleaned, disinfected so your diesel doesn't get damaged during transit. The cab would be a tight fit for a family but for two or three, it's manageable and you will have to make a makeshift cooker and toilet in the cabin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    I agree lorries are the best and tankers would last you a long time but you have to consider on where you can get fuel from and the tank must be cleaned, disinfected so your diesel doesn't get damaged during transit. The cab would be a tight fit for a family but for two or three, it's manageable and you will have to make a makeshift cooker and toilet in the cabin

Even ordinary trucks have a range that easily tops cars if staying mobile for a while till the dust settles and safe zones sprout up is anyones goal. If you had more time on your hands you could get a normal 7 tonne box body, make the cabin and the load bay, one area, sacrifice 15-20% of the space for a 1,000 ltr diesel tank the likes of which are found outside many contractors houses. And the rest, re space for living shouldnt pose much of a problem. Two grand would cover you for fuel making buying beforehand an option.

if i had time and supplies to prep a truck i'd probably go with a grain truck or something with steel sides, fabricate a roof and access from the tray to the cab

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭$kilkenny

vehicle of choice is a forestry forwarder, simply coz I can get 1 easily enoigh bu also they have bullet proof glass, they can travel moreless everywhere and as for punctures the tires are built to not get punctures and they rarely get punctures. That solves that problem.
    They already have diesel tanks so as for collecting diesel u have a tank, want more, just get more tanks or barrels. With the trailer you can just modify it with steel sides and a ramp and just drive a car up onto it. The machine takes diesel and the car takes petrol, and put a bike in there aswell :D
    U can use the crane to move stuff or pick up stuff without even getting out or to kill zombies.
    Only ting is its slow bu rather than travel from petrol station yo petrol station u can travel from wood to wood and park in the trees, no one will know your there and you could easily defend a wood with a few strands of barbed wire on a few trees around your camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I have some experience with large vans/small trucks. They suck up diesel like nobodies business. I had to drive a long wheelbase high topped Merc sprinter a few miles, put a tenner of diesel in it, the tenner didn't even register on the dash. Drove roughly 100klm and it was virtually empty after that. Compare that to my small diesel van, if I put a tenner of diesel in that it fills about a 3rd of the tank and could do the same journey 4 or 5 times.

Trucks have huge advantages but are hugely expensive in a resource low world. It would be good to have one in reserve (I guess only possible if you're settling in a fixed base) and use smaller cars for just about everything else.

That's my thinking. A truck is great to get to a nice secluded spot and can pull all the things that you need. The cab/trailer can then be made into a fairly secure fixed base, while using bikes/horses etc to live daily

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭madness98

I suppose the extra bonus of a horse is that it could be used to lure away a horde of the undead if the situation called for it.

• Advertisement

madness98 wrote: »
    I suppose the extra bonus of a horse is that it could be used to lure away a horde of the undead if the situation called for it.
    the 2nd episode of walking dead comes to mind...

• Site Banned Posts: 8 pie_boy

Ford Ka - 200 miles to the gallon, best small family car 2009, voted independently by readers of the Irish times.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Is CUMA liom.

http://www.oehinc.com/photos/accessories/MANITOU_ACCESSORIES_06.jpg Presenting the manitou
    Deisel engine and the top speed is 30mph. It has huge mpg and it is four wheel drive and steer you never get stuck. it never breaks down and you can fit non puncture tyres and you are higher up than the zombies
    you could also tow a trailer full of diesel with it and use the fork for either digging or killing zombies.
    also there are quite a few around the country.

• Site Banned Posts: 8 pie_boy

I call pies on it never breaking down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

2011-vw-touareg-hybrid-suv.jpg

Base yourself in a place with a wind generator, or even better a water one, with a good electric fence. Then use one of these for going about, fuel stocks would do a long time.

Ford Ka?
    No storage, no speed, no handling, no off-road capabilities, lacking space, no acceleration and provides very little protection

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

holy crap, they finally did it, they made the super survival truck from Damnation Alley

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

is there any info on what the truck was originally designed for? it looks like some sort of safari vehicle [with all the telescopic cameras and that]. reminds me of the jurassic park truck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

It's... it's beautiful. :cool::cool::cool:

Need's a few Ma Deuces sticking out of ports on the sides, but.

Advertisement