Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the benefit of running?

Options
  • 01-04-2014 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I don't know that much about health and fitness so excuse my ignorance :p

I've set my self a goal of running 25km on the treadmill every week, basically 3.5km a day..

Will there be any benefit from doing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

You'll get better at running on the threadmill!

What is your goal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

I've started the running on the treadmill also when for years I avoided it. I'm doing walking 1.30 then run for 1 min 8 times. Hoping to able to move this onto road at some stage. Have a bit of weight to lose so have to start somewhere. I want it to help with fitness and weight loss and I also get a better workout than any other cardio in the gym.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

My only goal is to run at least 25km every week. It's just something I'd like to accomplish. Is there any benefit at all from it like I don't really have weight to lose but I'd like to know if there's any other benefit to it. I also go for a twenty minute intense cycle about three times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The benefit is you'll be able to run 3.5km in one go seven times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Are people being a bit smart here?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Dont run everyday, and work up to your 25k goal. Break it up over 4 days. Vary distance and speeds.

And if possible, start to run outdoors. So much nicer.

Running isnt the be all and end all, but if you get into it, youll benefit from increased fitness and wellbeing. Running can be incredibly relaxing - great for a little bit of headspace.

Thanks,
    I'll break it up more :) The treadmill is in a shed facing outside so its literally like being outside except there's a roof over it :)

Thanks,
    I'll break it up more :) The treadmill is in a shed facing outside so its literally like being outside except there's a roof over it :)

Its not just looking outside. Your running form and breathing are different on a tready. And actually moving through the terrain makes a big difference psychologically.

Is there any goal to the running other than to cover a specific distance over the course of the week? Any desire to do a time for it? To improve the time?

Oh, I'll try it outside tomorrow so if the weathers alright :)

Oh sorry I do have goals like that! I want to get to a kilometer in 5 minutes. I've no idea whether that is good or bad but i'd be happy with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

I've just started couch to 5k - I'm only at week 5 and although i haven't found much difference on the scales, I'm definitely sleeping better and i love the head space. I've 3 young kids and tend to go as soon as my husband is home and I'm back in time for their bedtime. I love the way its only 30 minutes and fits into a busy lifestyle as for me going to the gym is just too time consuming as i also work some evenings.

Oh sorry I do have goals like that! I want to get to a kilometer in 5 minutes. I've no idea whether that is good or bad but i'd be happy with it.

It's all relative. It's good if it's a target that's better than you've done before. As Oryx said, you're better varying the distance covered and the speeds you run at. Don't just run at the same speed on the treadmill irrespective of the distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

The OP asked what are the benefits, not for "What is your goal?" dismissive responses.

The OP asked what are the benefits, not for "What is your goal?" dismissive responses.

The OP has a goal. Then some advice was given to help with that goal. Hardly being dismissive.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,054 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

1km in 5mins is not paticular quick. If you can manage 25km/week now, you could probably hold 12km/hr for 5 mins if you tried, you'll probably surprise yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I would completely ignore anything this poster posts. The best advice I can give you is to Click on his name and select ignore.

As for benefits there's plenty of benefits to running, getting fitter is just one, helping to lose weight is another and a healthier heart is another. Any form of regular exercise is good for you.

To be fair, fitness and training requires motivation. Motivation requires goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

This is dismissive.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    This is dismissive.
    It looks that way but I hadn't intended to be dismissive which is why I tried to help and offer some advice thereafter.

That would be good. It helps to set yourself a target, and once you reach it, move the target on. Its how everyone progresses. Keep asking questions. Its how you learn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Would second the suggestion that running outside is preferable, my reason for saying so is more to do with the effect running outside would have on my mental health, seriously great way to de stress and have some time to yourself. Even better if you can hook up with some running buddies for an outside run.
    Physically it's preferable too, much harder to run outside IMO but much more satisfying. Treadmill seems to do some of the work for you, plus it's boooooooring.

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    Would second the suggestion that running outside is preferable, my reason for saying so is more to do with the effect running outside would have on my mental health, seriously great way to de stress and have some time to yourself.

+1.

You can't replicate that on a treadmill.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It should help your cardio-vascular system, giving benefits to both your lung function and your heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Think I heard something on the radio or TV about it being good for bones, or preventing a bone condition like osteoporosis.

I don't run as I worry about injuring my knees, almost every guy I know who did any sort of running now has wrecked knees -though most were doing ball sports which would have more twisting & turning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Running is good for your heart, is good for general fitness, good for burning calories and is a good form of cardio. I'd agree with the others on a couple of points, firstly try and get outside for a run whenever you can, if nothing else it's more challenging as you're running on different terrrains and surfaces, hills will add extra fitness. I know people who trained for races on treadmills and who found they were woefully unprepared for running outside. Plus there's nothing better than a nice run on a pleasant day - save the dreadmill for wet days.

Would also agree that it's better to not run everyday when you're just starting out. 5k per day over 5 days would be better than 3.5 everyday and should be achievable if you follow a couch to 5k program. I would also start to add a kilometre a week on to one of your runs so you're gradually doing a longer run. You'll be up to 10k before you know it! Best of luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

+1 for road running, it's considerably harder at first but the option to run a course that contains hills and declines etc is a better way to train as the treadmill doesn't replicate natural terrain very well.

Running 2.5km 5 times a week, or 5km 10 times a week will make your body used to running those distances that often. Aside from improving your cardiovascular health I wouldn't say the benefits are anything major.

Regards the dismissive posts: It's actually an attempt to educate the poster, but not in a very obvious way. If someone asks what supplements should they take to get big and strong the general concensus is that they should post their diet and training schedule. This is because there's more than one factor that may contribute to their sucvcess or failure. The same applies for running: what's the benefit of running that often? zero benefit if you eat 10,000 calories a day and that's your sole exercise for the week. Major benefit if you want to get to a stage where you can run 3.5km to and from work every day because you dont want to drive.

TL;DR: Running makes you better at running and also frees your mind for an hour (or however long) which can be of benefit to people who would like to destress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Run on grass. Your legs and hips will thank you.
    Get a running plan from somewhere

Running helps you burn calories
    Improves basic cardio capacity
    Helps you feel better - mentally and physically

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

If you do decide to run outside be very carefull if you run on grass, quite often you'll find the ground can be uneven and can be slippy if the grass is wet or even a bit damp.

Also running outside is as easy as running on a treadmill, you'll probably find running outside much easier you'll just be a little slower. On hot sunny days you'll wish it was raining :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Panda_Turtle

I`ve heard of people who did serious miles on roads and can now barely walk as in their joints are f*cked. Maybe its not the norm though they probably went overboard.

Better to run around your local park, football field, mountain or woodland trails I`d would guess. Bring a dog for company :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

I`ve heard of people who did serious miles on roads and can now barely walk as in their joints are f*cked. Maybe its not the norm though they probably went overboard.

Better to run around your local park, football field, mountain or woodland trails I`d would guess. Bring a dog for company :cool:

And I know people who never ran a step in their life and their joints are also f...ed.

Advertisement