Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garda college

Options

Comments

Just information for all if ye heading down, or hoping to.
    Garda college is not an ordinary college.
    You will not be treated like adults.
    You will not be allowed to do what you want.
    You will not be allowed to cook your own food, or have a fridge/microwave in your room.
    You will not be allowed come and go as you please.
    In fact you can only leave the college between 5pm and 11 pm at night.
    You are subject to room inspections at any time.

Think more like an army barracks. That is what you are joining.
    Its ok once you know what you are letting yourself in for.

But don't be under any illusions, you are not free to do whatever you want, and you WILL be watched at all times.
    If you can't get your head around this, then maybe you're not ready for the job.

Just a heads up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

MOD

Please report posts you feel breach the forum charter. To any new posters or any other posters who may have forgotten what the charter entails, you can find it here,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055302336

use it as a guide to posting in the Garda Recruitment Forum.

Back on topic please,

-KERSPLAT!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

bubblypop wrote: »
    Just information for all if ye heading down, or hoping to.

But don't be under any illusions, you are not free to do whatever you want, and you WILL be watched at all times.
    If you can't get your head around this, then maybe you're not ready for the job.

Just a heads up.
    I think it's in their best interest that they DON'T watch me take a dump after a night on the beer, just saying :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Chem Lord wrote: »
    I think it's in their best interest that they DON'T watch me take a dump after a night on the beer, just saying :o

They take daily stool samples so yes they will be watching you dump.
    If they find traces of dohnut or any variety of cake for that matter you get a well done stamp in your stool book

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭pugsnotdrugs13

Devil08 wrote: »
    They take daily stool samples so yes they will be watching you dump.
    If they find traces of dohnut or any variety of cake for that matter you get a well done stamp in your stool book

Please tell me you're joking ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Please tell me you're joking ..

Really?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 stargazer9

Purely out of idle curiosity, is there much 'coupling up' between students in the Garda college?
    If there is, where do they do the bold thing if men aren't allowed in the women's dorms and vice versa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

stargazer9 wrote: »
    Purely out of idle curiosity, is there much 'coupling up' between students in the Garda college?
    If there is, where do they do the bold thing if men aren't allowed in the women's dorms and vice versa?

Life, uh, finds a way.

P.S Purely hearsay but I have heard there is quite a lot of coupling up although that was at a time when the college was near capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

I know someone who was kicked out of the college for having a girl in his dorm. Both were caught and kicked out.
    So be warned. Stick to Pam and her five friends until you get home at the weekends!
    Just giving my info on college etiquette

• Registered Users Posts: 48 stargazer9

Devil08 wrote: »
    I know someone who was kicked out of the college for having a girl in his dorm. Both were caught and kicked out.
    So be warned. Stick to Pam and her five friends until you get home at the weekends!
    Just giving my info on college etiquette

Wow, that's strict. So is there a rule that says you can't get laid, or is it just the fact he had a girl in the dorms?
    Well here's hoping they have that lovely Irish hypocrisy where if a girl brings a fella into her room, they just get told off. I for one like nothing more than a roll in the hay with a nice bloke, it's the best thing for stress relief after a long day of classes/ running etc!

• Advertisement

MOD

I'm not sure if it's because there's a new mod or ye are just at it for the craic but the posts in general in the recruitment forum today is way below the acceptable standard. I have already handed out warnings, infractions and now a ban in the last 24 hours.

Each thread has a title, these titles suggest what the thread should contain the same as all the other threads. Stay on topic.

Again, stay on topic, report posts you feel breach the charter. DO NOT REPLY TO THEM.

-KERSPLAT!

==========

Shield says: I agree with my fellow Moderator. Please try to stay on-topic, and if you see a post that you find is offending, hit the Report Post button, and we'll do the rest.

Thanks,

-Shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Thecameraman

Will the first intake of recuirt be still in the college when the second intake of recuirts starts?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Will the first intake of recuirt be still in the college when the second intake of recuirts starts?

Wouldn't have thought so. I think it is only 32 weeks in Templemore from now on though not 100%. I take it you mean when the second intake attend Templemore?

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

Don't see the need for removal of certain questions and answers on this thread. Temple more is a unique experience and if somebody has a question whether it be about a microwave in their room or a fellow trainee of the opposite sex in their room, they should feel free to ask away. There is no harm for those lucky enough to be successful in this recruitment campaign to know the workings of the college and what to expect when they arrive down there

Don't see the need for removal of certain questions and answers on this thread. Temple more is a unique experience and if somebody has a question whether it be about a microwave in their room or a fellow trainee of the opposite sex in their room, they should feel free to ask away. There is no harm for those lucky enough to be successful in this recruitment campaign to know the workings of the college and what to expect when they arrive down there

MOD

There have been many off topic posts deleted. Any genuine questions can be posted, we actively encourage it, however posts regarding stool samples being tested for doughnuts and cake are of no benefit to anyone, as I'm sure you'd agree.

Please do not reply to this post, if you have any further questions please PM me or any of the other mods.

-KERSPLAT!

Can anyone tell me what kind of facilities are in the Garda college?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what kind of facilities are in the Garda college?

Swimming Pool (can only be used during certain times outside of class hours)
    A gym with a decent selection of equipment.
    A small shop.
    The Coffee Dock (A large room with one TV and lots of chairs, a coffee machine and a vending machine)
    The Rec (This is a bar that's normally staffed by students, I would be surprised if they reopen it, it caused a lot of problems!)
    There's a pool table and TV upstairs in the Rec which you could use at anytime even when the bar was closed.
    A Library which obviously contains policing related books and past students dissertations.
    A computer room with restricted internet access which is used mostly for study and completion/ printing of course work.

The canteen serves food at certain times during the day, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Lunch was always busy so you could get soup and a sandwich in the coffee dock if you preferred.

The golf course at the back of the college has tennis courts which you can use but I'd imagine there will be a fee.

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head but if there's anything specific you are looking for just ask.

Bloodwing wrote: »
    A small shop.
    The Coffee Dock (A large room with one TV and lots of chairs, a coffee machine and a vending machine)
    The Rec (This is a bar that's normally staffed by students, I would be surprised if they reopen it, it caused a lot of problems!)
    There's a pool table and TV upstairs in the Rec which you could use at anytime even when the bar was closed.
    A Library which obviously contains policing related books and past students dissertations.
    A computer room with restricted internet access which is used mostly for study and completion/ printing of course work.

The canteen serves food at certain times during the day, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Lunch was always busy so you could get soup and a sandwich in the coffee dock if you preferred.

The golf course at the back of the college has tennis courts which you can use but I'd imagine there will be a fee.

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head but if there's anything specific you are looking for just ask.

Thats great, cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

There was also a nurse on site and doctor from certain hours if I recall correctly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

A small shop.

Is there somewhere to play 5 a side soccer there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

You mean GAA?? Garda don't play soccer :D

billie1b wrote: »
    You mean GAA?? Garda don't play soccer :D

Or Rugby :)

There's the sports hall, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to get a game going in there. There's a handball alley too, i forgot about that one.

When I was down there as a student you had plenty of things to choose from in the evenings including spinning classes and circuit training but the last time I went down it was like a ghost town. Hopefully they'll be getting these things up and running again.

There's the sports hall, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to get a game going in there. There's a handball alley too, i forgot about that one.

When I was down there as a student you had plenty of things to choose from in the evenings including spinning classes and circuit training but the last time I went down it was like a ghost town. Hopefully they'll be getting these things up and running again.

Did my first spin class on Tuesday just gone... Jaysus!! Hopefully they get them going again :)

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Did my first spin class on Tuesday just gone... Jaysus!! Hopefully they get them going again :)

You'll probably be doing them as part of your physical training anyway, god i hated them. Give me a 6 mile run any day over a spinning class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Is there a matted area, like 2 inch thick. For things like judo or boxing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Is anyone here not into sports like me? lol.. I fear i'd be left in a corner if I ever made it to the college. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭want2b

carzony wrote: »
    Is anyone here not into sports like me? lol.. I fear i'd be left in a corner if I ever made it to the college. lol

Corner in Polly's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

want2b wrote: »
    Corner in Polly's

I don't drink either:o:o Ah, Gives me more time to study or somthing :pac:

• Advertisement

carzony wrote: »
    I don't drink either:o:o Ah, Gives me more time to study or somthing :pac:

IF I make it down, that's a big if, I won't be drinking much at all. I don't work well with a hangover and I'm there to learn, not get drunk! Will be home at the weekend's for that! :p

Advertisement