Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ronan Mullen running for Europe

Options
  • 07-02-2014 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭

Coming back from training tonight, I heard that the bold Ronan is running in the Euro elections on the Newstalk Irish language programme. As soon as I heard his voice I changed channels, not wanting to vomit all over my windscreen, but here's an article.

What're the odds he won't get his deposit back? Yes, I know the Midlands/North-West is the most backward looking part of the country, but surely Iona's agressive, greedy and nauseating brand of homophobia will straighten enough heads out up there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭swampgas

I did like this quote from the linked article:
    Mullen will run as an independent in next June’s ballot and says that although he has “great respect for the people of the Reform Alliance” he has not been approached to get involved in the group saying that in any case he is “very independent minded”.

Translation: even the Reform Alliance won't touch him with a bargepole.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Jernal wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Imagine doing that on a windy back road at 10pm on a stormy wet night. That's what nearly happened to me tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

And that's what Mullen's will campaign for. Fun outlawed, women back in the kitchen/maternity ward, city councils to be turned into churches, and mandatory vomiting into your own face to get back to that good old Catholic shame.

I saw him campaigning on William Street here in Galway the weekend before last. My wife had to drag me past rather than engaging with him.

If I see him again I might stop amd chat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

This image of his election poster is.....well placed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

swampgas wrote: »
    ...even the Reform Alliance won't touch him with a bargepole.

Maybe he's forming the "Briefcase Wanker Party". :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Pegmatite

I'm surprised this is only being brought up now. He announced his intent to run a couple of weeks before the Senate referendum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Yes, I know the Midlands/North-West is the most backward looking part of the country

Backwards as in rural or backwards as in they probably share 98% of the same value and characteristics of the Übermensch of D4 and the like. Not like Dublin haven't had their own 'backwardness' to contend with. CJH, Bertie, Liam Lawlor among others, all born and breed within the M50 and voted into office by the same populace…. Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,125 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

jank wrote: »
    Backwards as in rural or backwards as in they probably share 98% of the same value and characteristics of the Übermensch of D4 and the like. Not like Dublin haven't had their own 'backwardness' to contend with. CJH, Bertie, Liam Lawlor among others, all born and breed within the M50 and voted into office by the same populace…. Just saying.

You're right about Dublin backwardness in relation to the eFFers. Certain voters seem to be in thrall to the lying, conniving, yet somehow charming, gombeens of FF.

You're wrong that these are the same people that despise backward gob****es like Rónán Mullen.

Dublin has a vast and diverse population.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,733 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Coming back from training tonight, I heard that the bold Ronan is running in the Euro elections on the Newstalk Irish language programme. As soon as I heard his voice I changed channels, not wanting to vomit all over my windscreen, but here's an article.

What're the odds he won't get his deposit back? Yes, I know the Midlands/North-West is the most backward looking part of the country, but surely Iona's agressive, greedy and nauseating brand of homophobia will straighten enough heads out up there.
    yeah, we all look like actors in a Huckleberry Finn movie :rolleyes:

If you can read this, you're too close!

Pherekydes wrote: »
    You're wrong that these are the same people that despise backward gob****es like Rónán Mullen.

Yes its diverse population which includes people like David Quinn, John Waters and Michael Nugent, which doesn't actually refute the point that the north-west of the country is the most 'backwards'...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

jank wrote: »
    Yes its diverse population which includes people like David Quinn, John Waters and Michael Nugent, which doesn't actually refute the point that the north-west of the country is the most 'backwards'...

The north west, not just a geographical location, also a personality trait. Apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

He is running in my constituency.. oh pleaaaaaaaase let some of his campaigners call to my house.. oh please please please!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Pherekydes wrote: »

As does the North-West

The north west, not just a geographical location, also a personality trait. Apparently.

Sure we all know the Irish are god fearing, drunk,leprechaun dancing idiots anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

wprathead wrote: »
    As does the North-West
    Isn't the point more about politics? In recent history, the North-West has been a bit of a political cu-de-sac. At one point, five of the six TDs from Donegal were FF. If that had been replicated nationally, we'd have almost been a one-party State. Trace back to things like the 1995 Divorce Referendum and you find a distinct Country and Western trend in voting "No", and a distinct Dublin trend of voting "Yes".

That's not to say that everyone in either location has to feel some shared burden of shame, for either being backward or for forcing divorce onto unwilling country folk. About a third of folk in Dublin voted agin divorce, and about a third of folk along the Western seaboard voted in favour.

It just that, if you're a politician with a traditional values platform, you'll clearly find it easier to garner support in places that have demonstrated support for the kinds of positions you are likely to advocate.

SW wrote: »

Well I forgot to add the following;
    with the exception of Tipperary, the inhabitants of which, unversally look like extras from 1,000,000 BC

That better?

But in all honesty I was talking in voting patterns, Mullen only picked that constituency because he knows its the only chance he'll get enough people to vote for a gob****e that he'll get his deposit back.

• Moderators Posts: 51,733 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

No....... I'm from Offaly :pac:

If you can read this, you're too close!

No....... I'm from Offaly :pac:

So then you're well aware of what I speak about.

I spent six years in Tipp Town proselytising to the heathen about hurling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Can we at least all agree that Mullen's a smarmy, bigoted wanker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

*chews some straw* We don't like any of your kind around these parts......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Sarky wrote: »
    Can we at least all agree that Mullen's a smarmy, bigoted wanker?

Well, we can't with any confidence speak on his 'self-relief' practices (though I'm sure he doesn't do it. At all. Ever).

But as for smarmy and bigoted....

But in all honesty I was talking in voting patterns, Mullen only picked that constituency because he knows its the only chance he'll get enough people to vote for a gob****e that he'll get his deposit back.

Only, never mind the fact that he was born there, raised there, educated there??? None of those i suppose entered into the decision to run for political office in his home constituency? No?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I've nothing against him running for Europe, as long as its just ahead of a pack of trained and angry attack dogs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Nodin wrote: »
    I've nothing against him running for Europe, as long as its just ahead of a pack of trained and angry attack dogs.
    I'm all for him running for Europe as well, but only so long as he stays there when he reaches it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

robindch wrote: »
    I'm all for him running for Europe as well, but only so long as he stays there when he reaches it.

But Ireland is in Europe so if he came back,he'd still be in Europe so has technically stayed there. Not easy being a pedant.

robindch wrote: »

Ever since the Telegraph was invented, that hasn't been as good as it sounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

There are enough bonkers reactionaries up here in Donegal who will vote for the cnut. Whether he will be in the hunt for a seat is another matter but playing the holy Mary card has worked here before.

• Advertisement

Banjoxed wrote: »
    There are enough bonkers reactionaries up here in Donegal who will vote for the cnut. Whether he will be in the hunt for a seat is another matter but playing the holy Mary card has worked here before.

As its been near (or is) a quarter century since I've been there, I've no idea what the place is like now. Or anywhere else outside of the pale, tbh.

Advertisement