Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

eh i dunno wrote: »
    I may be wrong but is it not the same meds for both?

Im on Lexapro for anxiety and i think they are prescribed for depression too

I was on Lexapro for depression. So you can use it for both.

My counsellor cancelled tomorrows appointment, i havent seen her since the start of December, bit sad about it. I kinda needed to talk stuff over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I was actually anxious before I was depressed. The doctor seems to think that the depression was always there and that the anxiety was the main symptom of it. Either way I think the meds can cover both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

I was actually anxious before I was depressed. The doctor seems to think that the depression was always there and that the anxiety was the main symptom of it. Either way I think the meds can cover both of them.

Been kinda following this thread for a while trying to get some background . I wonder is most peoples issues with anxiety caused by past unpleasant experiences which the brain just brings up at random times . My father passed away last summer . I've been dealing with it maybe better then expected but as a result other things from my past have been going through my mind which stay with me for days on end . I can have good days & bad days . I've finally come to terms that I need to sort it out . Usually when I rationalise it in my head it goes away . But it can prop up at any time out of the blue . I can deal with it during the week but when I get to the weekend I have to really concentrate to keep out the thoughts just to have a good time . I'm wondering is my mind compensating by bringing up these thoughts because I'm doing so well now in regards to my father ??? Anyone else have similar issues like this ??? I apologise if this isn't the correct thread to talk about this .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Hey Lenny,

So sorry to hear about your father's passing. I would get in touch with your GP and a counsellor if you can. A combination of both can really make the difference when it comes to stuff like this.

Since I've been like this, I've looked back over my teenage years and childhood and I can definitely see that I was hugely anxious and depressed, even when very young. Thankfully I haven't really had anything traumatic happen to me so in my own case it would appear to be purely brain chemistry. Sure it wasn't the perfect life: bullied from time to time, weight issues etc but nothing I'd class as truly a trauma though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Jerry2013

Hi Guys in anyone have psychosis because I want share the experience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

Hey Lenny,

So sorry to hear about your father's passing. I would get in touch with your GP and a counsellor if you can. A combination of both can really make the difference when it comes to stuff like this.

Since I've been like this, I've looked back over my teenage years and childhood and I can definitely see that I was hugely anxious and depressed, even when very young. Thankfully I haven't really had anything traumatic happen to me so in my own case it would appear to be purely brain chemistry. Sure it wasn't the perfect life: bullied from time to time, weight issues etc but nothing I'd class as truly a trauma though.

Thanks Hugo . Yeah it's all been kinda a mystery to me the last while . It only really started the last couple of months . Didn't have the ideal childhood either , mother passed when I was 10 . So would definetly have some buried issues from that time period onwards to present day . I've looked in maybe meditation to start off with . It sounds strange but this is probably the happiest I've been my entire life and as a result I think my brain can't deal with it . The hurt isn't there so it's compensating by bringing up trivial past thoughts that just linger . I'm usually fine in the mornings but it generally pops up during the day . I think my issue is my brain just won't shut down , I'm constantly trying to work out these things in my head .

no one reply to me here :( i feel so depressed

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

I posted here a few weeks/months back about my own issues and forgot to check back, I've managed to improve my situation a lot through routine and exercise, though, I do still have issues with depression, I've seen drastic improvements, and I no longer feel like my entire life is controlled by it anymore.
    Anyway, I'm concerned about my best friend. He's suffered from depression for years and has gone through some patches where it wasn't too bad, and others where it's extremely bad. The last few months he's been very depressed, pretty much constantly extremely depressed and staying in bed for hours most days and only getting up when he has no choice but to get up. He's gotten to the point where he's never in the mood to talk to anyone, and if I don't initiate contact with him first, we can go days without contact in any way, which is unusual as under normal circumstances a day where we don't contact each other would be rare. I've seen him only twice since Christmas, and his next closest friend has only seen him once I believe, so since Christmas he's only socialized about 3 times, and it's definitely not due to a busy schedule as he rarely has anything planned. I make sure I ask him how he's feeling every day and ask him if he wants to talk about anything and if there's anything at all I can do to help him. I constantly remind him that if he ever needs my help or to talk he can call or text my phone and no matter what I'm doing I'll find time for him. Usually he declines these offers. I can't think of any way I can help him, has anyone got any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Jerry2013 wrote: »
    no one reply to me here :( i feel so depressed

Hi Jerry, I'd be glad to listen to your experience with psychosis as that is an illness that I deal with from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 problum8

I'm going to write again on the night before my first counselling session in a while. I am in a mood where I just want to be on my own. I am finding myself disliking people that I would classify as friends. I am renting a house with a friend and I am unhappy there. We are just not suited to living together which I know can often happen. So then I go 'home' home to my parents and I find that I just go out into the spare room to be on my own. I have so little tolerance for others at the moment. I did nothing really sociable this week. I was working and just watching sports and gambling quite heavily. I found it very hard but I found enough motivation to visit a friends house this evening. I put up my facade during that visit but again came back 'home' to be on my own. I am looking for motivation to change the rut I am in and am thinking about maybe booking a holiday or looking for another job or maybe a dating agency or something. Another thing I was thinking about was maybe setting up a mental health blog for men in Ireland. I feel this writing helps me a bit and if it could benefit others it would be great. Any thoughts on this? I had the opportunity to go on a date tonight but made up an excuse that I was too busy. I am just ranting now but I feel so lost and it seems like it is a continuous cycle. I mean this time last year I felt exactly the same. Next week I have a social outing which I have to go to and I am not looking forward to it at all.

• Advertisement

Hi Jerry, I'd be glad to listen to your experience with psychosis as that is an illness that I deal with from time to time.

Thank you very much Lightbulb my gp told me I got anxiety 4 months ago, then I went to see psychiatrist she told me I have psychosis, but there are things I experiencing make me worries all the time like my whole body shaking and my mouth trying to say things that I dont understand this happen involuntary, I am muslim and I do believe in islam, I spoke to few people in mosque told me that I am possessed by black magic, I found very hard to believe between doctor and religion, is anyone experience anything like this?

Thank you very much Lightbulb my gp told me I got anxiety 4 months ago, then I went to see psychiatrist she told me I have psychosis, but there are things I experiencing make me worries all the time like my whole body shaking and my mouth trying to say things that I dont understand this happen involuntary, I am muslim and I do believe in islam, I spoke to few people in mosque told me that I am possessed by black magic, I found very hard to believe between doctor and religion, is anyone experience anything like this?

Sorry to hear you are feeling this way Jerry. Without wanting to get in to the whole science vs faith debate I'm one to trust medical science and the opinion of a trained professional rather than random people in a mosque.

I don't fully understand what you are trying to say from what you say you are experiencing, can you explain what your mouth is trying to say that you don't understand?

Psychosis is different for everybody who has it. Some people may not have some symptoms that other people have. You can have psychosis without hearing voices but still being very paranoid and suspicious for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

I have just found this thread. I may be brave in the future to post.

I feel so sad and I have no reason for feeling like this.

Sorry to hear you are feeling this way Jerry. Without wanting to get in to the whole science vs faith debate I'm one to trust medical science and the opinion of a trained professional rather than random people in a mosque.

I don't fully understand what you are trying to say from what you say you are experiencing, can you explain what your mouth is trying to say that you don't understand?

Psychosis is different for everybody who has it. Some people may not have some symptoms that other people have. You can have psychosis without hearing voices but still being very paranoid and suspicious for example.

My symptoms are:-

1. Feeling very paranoid, think people talking about me, sometime I can hear them mention my name but they are not.
    2. Thinking people they are up to get me.
    3. Scared with no reason
    4. Very scared at night
    5. Scare think I am going to die
    6. feeling like something passing me like shadow
    7. feel depress and worrying with no reason
    8. Feels something bad is going to happen to me
    9. Feel something wrong with me

When my GP couldn't find something wrong with me and she told me I had anxiety, I searched on Google and i came up with may be spiritual awakening, start going to mosque and pray and people from mosque told me I got black magic and when they do the pray my body was shaking very shaking and when they finish I felt bit better, also I was saying words I dont even understand what those word mean... can psychosis be like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

1. Feeling very paranoid, think people talking about me, sometime I can hear them mention my name but they are not.
    3. Scared with no reason
    4. Very scared at night

When my GP couldn't find something wrong with me and she told me I had anxiety, I searched on Google and i came up with may be spiritual awakening, start going to mosque and pray and people from mosque told me I got black magic and when they do the pray my body was shaking very shaking and when they finish I felt bit better, also I was saying words I dont even understand what those word mean... can psychosis be like that?

Personally I would stear very clear of people who believe in that sorta stuff and trust the medical expertise from a doctor.

lukesmom wrote: »
    Personally I would stear very clear of people who believe in that sorta stuff and trust the medical expertise from a doctor.

Thank you lukesmom

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Sleep time.. Overcome with sadness just as i sit down, sleep will be a while away.. Sometimes one of the hardest things about being depressed is the tiredness, it's so hard to cope on every level, mental, physical and emotional, when you're too tired to form coherent sentences

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Sleep time.. Overcome with sadness just as i sit down, sleep will be a while away.. Sometimes one of the hardest things about being depressed is the tiredness, it's so hard to cope on every level, mental, physical and emotional, when you're too tired to form coherent sentences

When you posted this earlier it popped up on the boards homepage and I read your post. I read it and thought, that sounds like me but maybe I don't belong in that thread because what I am feeling is a bit different to most people in that thread and what is making me feel this way is a lot different to most people in that thread.
    But...
    All morning your post has been going around in my head. It just hits me so hard. That's exactly how I feel. Worn out, worn down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Yoga will help anyone with low energy and has the doubly-positive possibility of being done in your bedroom so no worry of having to psyche yourself up to go out like other forms of exercise.

It can also be done at an extremely gentle level, in fact that is what it is mostly, it doesn't require much energy but you will gain lots of energy almost magically. I noticed that I was worn down completely wasting away and it forced me to do something small about it and that something small could turn into a life-changing thing for me.

All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

I agree with you Jimmy. I started back at yoga a week ago after being on/off about attending classes from about october onwards. The difference was immense and I always find I get a great sleep after. I'm trying to be good to myself and making myself make time for nice things.

For anyone new to yoga, it can be easier said than done to get motivated or even make time at home, but I've vowed to go once a week at least. I think of it as a lifesaver - it's an opportunity to relax and take time for yourself, get some proper breathing done and improve fitness/flexibility to boot.

Looking back over 2013, I noticed a few "spikes" of incidents after which my anxiety was heightened and I really wasn't the better for it. Back in Aug/Sept there was family drama, and at the start of October I was verbally attacked by a drunk man on public transport. It was very upsetting and as I was returning from a yoga class it put me off going again for a while, especially in the evening as I felt so vulnerable. I think this was a huge trigger in hindsight :( This was followed by illness, work stress and money woes -constant things eating away at me right up until the christmas break. I really should have pushed myself to go to more yoga during this time but didnt have the energy although I agree that you always feel great after a session! It's easy to forget that when it's lashing rain and you're running a bit late after a long day though and just want to crash!

26sdrawkcab, (I hope it's ok for me to say this), but if it helps you to post here then go for it. Having the space to write stuff down has helped me a lot and alleviated my woes. it can be cathartic to get stuff written out

• Advertisement

Just out of interest stinkle did they start you off specifically or in joining the class do you follow a generalised regime? I am following the exercises in Asana Pranyama Mudra Bandha. Starting with anti-rheumetic group of exercises, going through them and repeating them before moving on the next group.

I really recommend this book for anyone interested in yoga because it has a scientific no-nonsense approach and it is wholly comprehensive. It has a clear progression, sometimes I think there's a lot of information about yoga but it's hard to know where to 'jump in', this book explains and guides you from a starting point (the body and asanas) right through to pranyama (for which the body needs to prepared) and mudra and bandha after that.

It helps me because even though doing yoga videos on youtube was fine it felt slightly aimless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

I go to a few different classes depending on when I'm free. I mostly gravitate to the instructor more than the class! Two guys in particular were unbelievable but both have moved on now. Any class I've been to we have a general regime that everyone does, but the regime itself can vary week on week. One instructor might decide to focus on a particular body part for example; the other brilliant instructor would be great at gauging the mood of the room and tailoring the class accordingly (e.g. on a weekend would acknowledge that some might have overindulged the night before!). I've been to a class recently that was very repetitive and that annoys me so will avoid it in future.

I'll give the book a go - I'm always full of good intentions about practising at home with videos, but to be honest I get more out of making the effort to go to a class, and am always worried I might be getting the poses slightly wrong if there's no one to correct.

Yes that's the danger of doing them yourself, my goal is a consistent regime based on the preparatory exercises and then find a teacher who I can get feedback from.

Also, I would be the same as in going to them would benefit me but I'm not there yet!

3. Scared with no reason
    4. Very scared at night

Have you spoken to your psychiatrist about a referral to hospital Jerry? Maybe that could be the next step for you. It really helped me.

I'm no expert but yes psychosis can revolve around religious thoughts, depends on the individual. I'm not religious myself so it wasn't part of my thought process during my psychosis.

Have you spoken to your psychiatrist about a referral to hospital Jerry? Maybe that could be the next step for you. It really helped me.

I'm no expert but yes psychosis can revolve around religious thoughts, depends on the individual. I'm not religious myself so it wasn't part of my thought process during my psychosis.

Hi Lightbulb, yes and i go to hospital every after two weeks and i am on olanzapine. But worry because I want be normal like I used to be. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Hi Lightbulb, yes and i go to hospital every after two weeks and i am on olanzapine. But worry because I want be normal like I used to be. :(

sorry jerry been wanting to reply to U since yesterday just very deflated. Don't worry about being 'normal'. You will get back to feeling like yourself at somestage. You're on a journey at the moment you're strong enough to get through it. Don't know it that's any help or makes sense!

My body feels sooooo heavy today. Worried about some news I got yesterday too :'(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

stinkle wrote: »
    26sdrawkcab, (I hope it's ok for me to say this), but if it helps you to post here then go for it. Having the space to write stuff down has helped me a lot and alleviated my woes. it can be cathartic to get stuff written out

Thanks stinkle.

Basically, my post is probably going to be a little bit different to probably the majority of the others posted here. I just think that what I'm going through is probably very miniscule compared to most of the other posters.

I suppose I'll start from the top. Just over a year ago, I was involved in a bad crash. The other driver was 100% at fault and was successfully prosecuted in the District Court.
    Unfortunately, my injuries and my recovery haven't been so simple and I am still undergoing expensive, sometimes painful, treatment.

My injuries were a broken leg, a very deep cut in my left knee and nerve damage to both of my knees. Secondary to those injuries is nerve damage to my entire lower left leg caused by severe fracture blisters, damage to my lymph vessels caused by the nerve damage and my left leg from the knee down is pretty much dead. I can walk with a limp, not very well and not for very long. I am in constant pain, and my lower left leg is permanently swollen to about 2-3 times the size of my right leg due to fluid not draining from my lower left leg due to the damage to my lymph vessels.
    I am undergoing treatment for this at present and probably will be well into the future but I have hope that some day in the future, some consultant somewhere will be able to figure out how to fix the problem and all my worries will go away (well that's what I tell myself anyway).

Other secondary injuries that developed after the crash were trapped nerves in my neck and back as well as rotator cuff syndrome, all of this causes my hands, my arms and my shoulders to (a) go dead in a painful way and/or (b) give me seriously painful pins and needles. The trapped nerves really really affect my sleep and I really don't sleep for longer than 2-3 hours at a time. My hands, arms and shoulders going dead is actually quite painful and wakes me up if I have managed to fall asleep and the other side is that when my back and neck do into a spasm I can't really move or do anything, I can't even brush my own hair when it's very bad. I am in constant pain with this also. It's always there, sometimes it's a bit duller but always there. The dead feeling can happen at anytime, when I'm driving or when I'm using a computer for example, both of these things really worry me for obvious reasons. I am getting further treatment for this next month.
    Almost 18 months since the crash now and my symptoms have gotten worse, not better and I would now be classified as chronic. I have all the symptoms of chronic pain and unfortunately getting to this stage doesn't bode well for my recovery in general but I'm still hopeful.

Obviously all of that physical injury has had a bad impact on me but I've also been suffering pretty badly mentally and emotionally. The crash itself obviously affected me mentally and I get very emotional when talking about it. I keep reliving it over and over in my head constantly. I am so angry and sad about it.
    Aside from the effects of the crash on me mentally and emotionally, my physical injuries have me really worn out. I feel like I'm on a rollercoaster, everytime I see one of my consultants and they suggest a treatment I always go into it thinking maybe this is the last time, maybe this is the last €500 or €1,000 or €2,000 I'll have to spend on this, maybe it'll work this time and so far it hasn't and I'm so angry about that! At the moment I'm still going through a process of elimination in relation to my leg and my back, trying this and that just to get it whittled down to an actual diagnosis.

I used to be such a happy person but I feel like I'm not me anymore.

My GP prescribed me anti-depressants but to be honest I would much prefer to talk to someone about things, I feel like I don't have anyone to talk to about this.
    I feel like I don't get much support from my friends, I think that they see me walking around (albeit, poorly) and working and doing normal things (to a certain extent) and think that I'm fine. If I was missing a limb it would probably be easier to make them understand what I'm going through. I don't really talk to my friends about any of my treatment anymore or what's really going on with me because I feel like they don't care, and they don't ask anyway, they never really did.
    I feel like my friends think I'm whining when I talk about this stuff and that they don't want to know.
    All I want is someone to listen, just for 10 minutes, help me take some of my thoughts out of my head and mull them around with someone and then put them back in.

I sometimes feel like if I could just have a good night's sleep maybe then everything would seem okay but then that list gets longer,
    if I could just have a good night's sleep and the swelling in my leg to go down,
    if I could just have a good night's sleep and the swelling in my leg to go down and the pain in my foot to go away,
    etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 FruityCake

Trying to weigh it up and to be honest I've heard (well read) a ton of bad stories involving Sertraline (or Zoloft), any body have any experiences they can share with me?
    Was on Fluoextine (generic Prozac) and turned into a food obsessed maniac, piled on the weight and slept all day... Has to be some SSRI that agrees with me, right? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

FruityCake wrote: »
    Trying to weigh it up and to be honest I've heard (well read) a ton of bad stories involving Sertraline (or Zoloft), any body have any experiences they can share with me?
    Was on Fluoextine (generic Prozac) and turned into a food obsessed maniac, piled on the weight and slept all day... Has to be some SSRI that agrees with me, right? ;)

Hi each one works for different people and not for others so it can be a case of trial and error until you find one that works for you. Zoloft never worked for me unfortunately as I so wanted it to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 FruityCake

lukesmom wrote: »
    Hi each one works for different people and not for others so it can be a case of trial and error until you find one that works for you. Zoloft never worked for me unfortunately as I so wanted it to.
    Thank you for your reply, :) jeez I will dive in the deep end and see how it goes I suppose! Scared out of my wits!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement