Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers & Discussion v4] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Actually considering making an official complaint to the people in rte, that is not a topic to poorly research and make a mockery out of. Cancer is so prevalent in Ireland and lots of people are either dying or dealing with having the illness and, it's a disease that's cost parents their children, and torn families apart, and you have the likes of those fools that call themselves script writers, making a complete mockery of the illness

While I do think the storyline is crap, I really don't see how the storyline makes a mockery of Cancer. If Jane was in fact going to be dead in a few weeks but yet she could be cured completely in Germany for €40,000 then that would make a mockery of Cancer and we could say they hadn't done their research but as it is a lying/scam storyline I don't see where poor research comes into it.
    I find the Hayley storyline in Coronation street much more upsetting and uncomfortable to watch because it is a real cancer storyline.
    Zed Bank wrote: »
    Paddy was such a better "villain" than Jane. Jane comes off like a baddie in a pantomime.

Oh God fair city script writers why did you have to kill paddy!?

Paddy was a good villain but most of that only came out when he was in scenes with Vivienne who was the worst actor on the show and ruined every scene that Paddy was in because she was so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Long Room Hubba

Tayla wrote: »
    Paddy was a good villain but most of that only came out when he was in scenes with Vivienne who was the worst actor on the show and ruined every scene that Paddy was in because she was so bad.

I wonder about that. When people talk about the Bishops coming back, do they include everyone?

I'd love to see a poll for what characters everyone would like to see come back. Robert would be my nomination. He'd be great in a relationship with Caoimhe, or falling hopelessly in love with Kerri Ann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

It was poorly researched given its target audience and it was extremely insensitive. Usually these storylines are given the compassion it deserves. For example, a rape storyline. It usually has a build up, the act, and the trauma the victim suffers afterwards so while it is distressing especially for any of those who have been raped, it's given the respect it deserves and is handled sensitively.

If you look to other soaps who've handled a cancer story line, Alma (coronation street) Diane (Emmerdale) Sally (Coronation Street) Brenda (Emmerdale) Haley (coronation street) and Carol (Eastenders), it's handled sensitively and in come cases it's raising awareness (cervical cancer, breast cancer and bowel cancer, liver cancer and a brain tumor) It's a very real issue for so many people, and there isn't too many families who haven't been touched by cancer in some way or another, I know with my extended family it's absolutely rampant. To poorly research a topic, which what it was, otherwise they would have touched on someone already having cancer but too much resources would have to go into that I'd imagine, so they say hey let's make up something, lets have Jane pretend she has cancer and we wouldn't have to research it as she wouldn't really know what she was talking about unless she had first hand experience with it anyway.

She's lied about it being terminal, and having weeks to live, to being able to recieve a cure in germany, to telling her son and then she used it to extort money and as a means of revenge.

Leaving aside the fact I can't imagine it being a "real life" situation for anyone to do that to their own child, or lie about having such a horrible awful illness, it's extremely insulting and insensitive to watch. Such an issue deserves to be respected and handled in an appropriate manner, and this has not. It is absolutely disgusting and I am not one to be getting all hot and bothered about a stupid soap but they are absolutely making a mockery of the illness, no doubt about it. It's lazy and amateur script writing at the very least and the actors should be cringing having to act it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

Trying to be positive here - actually enjoyed the exchange between Charlie and TJ about Mags. Well scripted if a bit soppy. My own son has a great relationship with his grandads as many do. Esther's longing to make ammends for giving up David by taking in Lily are believable too . More well scripted real life less poorly researched and scripted outlandish stuff please writers!
    Sorry but Kerry-Ann is class with the right lines "You're a Leo I'm a Leo " lol and "Stealing, there should be a law against it " were gems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

While I do think the storyline is crap, I really don't see how the storyline makes a mockery of Cancer. If Jane was in fact going to be dead in a few weeks but yet she could be cured completely in Germany for €40,000 then that would make a mockery of Cancer and we could say they hadn't done their research but as it is a lying/scam storyline I don't see where poor research comes into it.
    I find the Hayley storyline in Coronation street much more upsetting and uncomfortable to watch because it is a real cancer storyline.

i think it is because of the scenario that they can just throw in the cancer story, willy nilly.......and that someone can say they only have a few weeks to live, yet nobody questions her running around plastered in make up, picking up men, blah blah and nobody questions how "good" she looks with only a few weeks to live.

In reality somebody with cancer with only a few weeks to live would probably be dosed up on morphine in a hospice bed.

This is where is is offensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

What's far fetched about the blackmail aspect is that Jane has lied about having cancer. Paul could simply call her bluff and if she goes to Niamh claiming she and Paul had consensual sex, the fact that she lied about the cancer would make her the most ridiculous and unbelievable of witnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,362 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Was it the morning after pill Paul made Jane take?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Am I right in thinking that TJ is not really Charlies grandson? As far as I recall Tony was not Charlies son, and TJ was not Tony's son?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭CassieManson

It was poorly researched given its target audience and it was extremely insensitive. Usually these storylines are given the compassion it deserves. For example, a rape storyline. It usually has a build up, the act, and the trauma the victim suffers afterwards so while it is distressing especially for any of those who have been raped, it's given the respect it deserves and is handled sensitively.

If you look to other soaps who've handled a cancer story line, Alma (coronation street) Diane (Emmerdale) Sally (Coronation Street) Brenda (Emmerdale) Haley (coronation street) and Carol (Eastenders), it's handled sensitively and in come cases it's raising awareness (cervical cancer, breast cancer and bowel cancer, liver cancer and a brain tumor) It's a very real issue for so many people, and there isn't too many families who haven't been touched by cancer in some way or another, I know with my extended family it's absolutely rampant. To poorly research a topic, which what it was, otherwise they would have touched on someone already having cancer but too much resources would have to go into that I'd imagine, so they say hey let's make up something, lets have Jane pretend she has cancer and we wouldn't have to research it as she wouldn't really know what she was talking about unless she had first hand experience with it anyway.

She's lied about it being terminal, and having weeks to live, to being able to recieve a cure in germany, to telling her son and then she used it to extort money and as a means of revenge.

Leaving aside the fact I can't imagine it being a "real life" situation for anyone to do that to their own child, or lie about having such a horrible awful illness, it's extremely insulting and insensitive to watch. Such an issue deserves to be respected and handled in an appropriate manner, and this has not. It is absolutely disgusting and I am not one to be getting all hot and bothered about a stupid soap but they are absolutely making a mockery of the illness, no doubt about it. It's lazy and amateur script writing at the very least and the actors should be cringing having to act it out.
    In fairness it is up to the (fictional) Jane to have done some research. She is the one claiming to be sick. No research is necessary to know that most people would not be so gullible and would suspect someone with such a past history and seemingly healthy and enjoying a good social life is obviously not suffering from a terminal disease with only a few weeks to live.

Is Jane still working in the pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,362 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Am I right in thinking that TJ is not really Charlies grandson? As far as I recall Tony was not Charlies son, and TJ was not Tony's son?

I don't think TJ is really Tony's son either but Charlie still sees him as his grandson

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Was it the morning after pill Paul made Jane take?

Yes....I presume though that would have no particular effect on a woman who wasn't pregnant.

Paul should really have put two and two together : a woman who was terminally ill with weeks to live would scarcely be concerned over whether she was pregnant or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

My god! It took Paul long enough to realise it was a set up. Reminded me of the bit in Father Ted when the ref of the over 75's priest game realised Ted was cheating. 'Wait a minute,these are fake hands!' From the Bishop story line to this bullsh1t. What do the writers think we are?its insulting we're being fed such muck.

Yes but this is not a cancer storyline, it is a storyline about someone pretending to have cancer.
    To poorly research a topic, which what it was, otherwise they would have touched on someone already having cancer but too much resources would have to go into that I'd imagine, so they say hey let's make up something, lets have Jane pretend she has cancer and we wouldn't have to research it as she wouldn't really know what she was talking about unless she had first hand experience with it anyway.

No I don't agree with this at all, if they had wanted to do a storyline about cancer then they could have but they didn't want to do a storyline which had someone suffering from cancer they wanted this storyline, where someone decides to lie about it to scam someone.

As you said already there aren't too many families who haven't been touched by cancer in one way or another, A hell of a lot of people know more than they want to know about the illness, I'm sure that includes people in the Fair city team, it wouldn't have taken that much research if they had wanted to do a cancer storyline but that clearly was not what they wanted to do, as I said earlier I find it far more uncomfortable and upsetting watching a real Cancer storyline than I do this one.

i think it is because of the scenario that they can just throw in the cancer story, willy nilly.......and that someone can say they only have a few weeks to live, yet nobody questions her running around plastered in make up, picking up men, blah blah and nobody questions how "good" she looks with only a few weeks to live.

In reality somebody with cancer with only a few weeks to live would probably be dosed up on morphine in a hospice bed.

This is where is is offensive.

I do think it's ridiculous that there are so few questions asked, they don't even know what type of cancer she is saying she has.

Sometimes people are dying from cancer and don't look sick, sometimes people have aggressive cancers and they only find out when being tested for something else, it's probably rare but it can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Yes but this is not a cancer storyline, it is a storyline about someone pretending to have cancer.

No I don't agree with this at all, if they had wanted to do a storyline about cancer then they could have but they didn't want to do a storyline which had someone suffering from cancer they wanted this storyline, where someone decides to lie about it to scam someone.

As you said already there aren't too many families who haven't been touched by cancer in one way or another, A hell of a lot of people know more than they want to know about the illness, I'm sure that includes people in the Fair city team, it wouldn't have taken that much research if they had wanted to do a cancer storyline but that clearly was not what they wanted to do, as I said earlier I find it far more uncomfortable and upsetting watching a real Cancer storyline than I do this one.

I do think it's ridiculous that there are so few questions asked, they don't even know what type of cancer she is saying she has.

Sometimes people are dying from cancer and don't look sick, sometimes people have aggressive cancers and they only find out when being tested for something else, it's probably rare but it can happen.

everybody in ireland has been touched in some form or other with cancer. To have a storyline about cancer in which the characters seem to have no clue what cancer is all about, is quite insulting.

Yes, its a soap opera - but really.... it has to been seen to be realistic. The public aren't fools.

But as I said.......it has been a tedious storyline even before the cancer scenario - now it is just embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

What i found offensive to the viewers wasn't as much the fact that it was cancer. They could have used any illness and my reaction would have been the same and that's my problem with the reaction of the other characters to her telling them she had cancer. The script writers have underestimated their audience in that i for one was looking at it and thinking that so called intelligent characters niamh and paul, the self proclaimed tough businessman and negotiator didnt ask the obvious questions. Even when Callum eventually asked Jane where she had the cancer she side stepped it.
    I an more offended at the writing and the glaring holes in the script. If the story had been written properly and with more thought i think viewers wouldn't have found it so offensive. Lying about having an illness for an ulterior motive is a plausible storyline but it needs to be written cleverly so that the audience is thinking that yes they too could believe Jane if she came to them looking for money for treatment.

Bottlebrush, I agree with that, it's not making a mockery of cancer but more making a mockery of the viewers by expecting them to believe the storyline as it was written.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,705 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I must say that I am quite surprised with all the rage about this story. There are people like Jane in the world. It is not a cancer story. It's a story about a devious and greedy person.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I also agree the Jane story isn't a cancer storyline it's a convoluted blackmail device - my offense is with the way it has been executed. Jane already tried blackmail after a kiss with Paul - she was shown up for being untrustworthy - then she feigned illness to win Callums love and then decided to turn this illness into an untreatable terminal case which overnight became treatable with money in some excellent european medical centre - then ridiculous drugging scene - feigns one night stand etc.

The trouble is we aren't thick - this has to be one of the most haphazardly written storylines ever on FC - it was as if four different writers were employed at different times without knowing what went before.

I also agree that the Hayley cancer storyline has turned me away from Corrie as it's too close to reality and awfully upsetting viewing when you've lost people to this disease. I want my soap with a large dose of escapism!

I think FC is truly struggling at the moment - not one storyline giving me the "I wonder what'll happen next..." feeling which is crucial to soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Pretzill wrote: »
    I also agree that the Hayley cancer storyline has turned me away from Corrie as it's too close to reality and awfully upsetting viewing when you've lost people to this disease. I want my soap with a large dose of escapism!

I think FC is truly struggling at the moment - not one storyline giving me the "I wonder what'll happen next..." feeling which is crucial to soap.

With the Hayley storyline, it is real and factual whereas this one with Jane is portraying cancer as a blackmail device and making light of it in many other ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

Strazdas wrote: »
    What's far fetched about the blackmail aspect is that Jane has lied about having cancer. Paul could simply call her bluff and if she goes to Niamh claiming she and Paul had consensual sex, the fact that she lied about the cancer would make her the most ridiculous and unbelievable of witnesses.

He probably will cop on to that one but then there's the phone tape where he seems to be saying himself he slept with her and where he says awful things about Callum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Am I the only one who thought that janes 'herplan' was herpes treatment ?

so decided to catch up on the fair city thread its gone up 4 pages since last night

oh my that was a lot of reading

just reading them I see a lot of viewers of fair city and deeply upset over this cancer storyline

coronation street are doing the storyline beautifully and sensitive also

so sad to see that cancer has affected so many fair city boardies :(

peace love & good health to you all

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

I know a girl from home that lied about having cancer. She had a narcissistic personality which everyone eventually copped onto. When her latest gang of friends were about to cop onto her manipulative nature she dropped the bombshell she had found a lump. Most of the girls knew of somebody that had suffered cancer, and her story just didn't fit. Turned out it was attention seeking. There are unfortunately plenty of people out there with this sick capacity of lying about something so serious. My mam died of cancer when I was a baby so this sort of stuff drives me crazy. As does people disrespecting their parents, you're lucky to have them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Jikashi

So Paul knows Jane is capable of lying about having cancer, yet he really believes she's been impregnated. Besides the fact that he remembers nothing and didn't drink that much, he should be able to tell if he'd had sex or not that night. But I guess it's not the worst of the implausibilities in this storyline

Jikashi wrote: »
    So Paul knows Jane is capable of lying about having cancer, yet he really believes she's been impregnated. Besides the fact that he remembers nothing and didn't drink that much, he should be able to tell if he'd had sex or not that night. But I guess it's not the worst of the implausibilities in this storyline

I can't see how Jane can blackmail him anyway. She has in her possession a photo of her in bed with an unconscious Paul....not exactly incriminating evidence of anything, and would look more like a set up in fact (why take a photo at all?).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

In fairness it is up to the (fictional) Jane to have done some research. She is the one claiming to be sick. No research is necessary to know that most people would not be so gullible and would suspect someone with such a past history and seemingly healthy and enjoying a good social life is obviously not suffering from a terminal disease with only a few weeks to live.

Is Jane still working in the pub?

The scriptwriters could have had at least one person ask Jane in which part of her body she has the cancer!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Strazdas wrote: »
    Yes....I presume though that would have no particular effect on a woman who wasn't pregnant.

Paul should really have put two and two together : a woman who was terminally ill with weeks to live would scarcely be concerned over whether she was pregnant or not.

That is only one example of the farcical scriptwriting!

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Long Room Hubba

Jikashi wrote: »

Getting people pregnant is Paul's superpower. If he walks through the zoo, animals start giving birth. He can't help believing her, evidence or not.

On a serious note, is there any reason himself and Niamh haven't tried for a child?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

brooke 2 wrote: »
    The scriptwriters could have had at least one person ask Jane in which part of her body she has the cancer!

Callum asked her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Vahevala wrote: »
    Callum asked her.

Yup and I think she said it doesnt matter where it is . What son would accept that kinda answer

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement