Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Stephens Day sales; can you be arsed?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Gotta question the sanity of anyone who'd queue up at 5am on Stephen's Day to buy clothes in Next!!! But people MUST do it, because otherwise they wouldn't keep opening.

Wish the shops would stay closed on the 26th. It'd be nice if we could have 2 days that almost everyone could be off (emergency services excluded obv) to just relax at home/with family/friends. Not necessarily for religious reasons or anything, just for a guilt-free break from business!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

Shops are overrun with chinese who seem to have a weird obsession with some labels.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Was it around 2009 this crap started?
    I remember at the time the yarn being spun was that the "reccession has hit retail so hard we need all the days we can get to open" :rolleyes:
    I hate government regulation of most things but St. Stephens closure I'd support 100%.

road_high wrote: »
    Was it around 2009 this crap started?
    I remember at the time the yarn being spun was that the "reccession has hit retail so hard we need all the days we can get to open" :rolleyes:
    I hate government regulation of most things but St. Stephens closure I'd support 100%.

Let people do what they want. There's more than enough state interference in our lives.

Thomas D wrote: »
    Let people do what they want. There's more than enough state interference in our lives.

It's the staff who have no choice in working I pity.

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »
    It's the staff who have no choice in working I pity.

They have the same choices as all of us. They can ask for the day off or they can look for work in a different sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

One of the downsides of capitalism IMO, the cash needs to keep flowing afterall :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I only have about €30 to my name and I shall be spending it on pints, Thank you very much. I went into the Pavillions in Swords on the 23rd to return a gift due to my mother buying the same thing for my stepdad. Jaysus, it was like something from Dawn of the Dead! And the buggies!
    My poor ankles...so nope, not bothering with the sales this year even if I DID have the money.
    Once the initial furvor dies down, though, I hope to grab a new phone but until then, I'm not going anywhere near the Pavillions or town.
    Crowds...nooooo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Thomas D wrote: »
    They have the same choices as all of us. They can ask for the day off or they can look for work in a different sector.
    Yeah because asking for a day off is the same as getting the day off.
    I'd imagine if retail workers found it that easy to find work in other sectors, they'd be doing it already.
    Stephens day sales are non-essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Working at 6am this morning. Don't work in retail. Also was working as a volunteer for 5 hours yesterday morning from 7am. Has to be done

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Nope!

Only sale I gave a damn about was the Steam sale :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Went down to Harvey Norman today to pay for some stuff I put a deposit on a few weeks ago.

Saw a nice lamp table for 120, asked how much it was and I was told it was 110 in the sale. Told them to keep it.

I dont think they discount by much at all , or if they do its on crap they want rid of.

Strituck wrote: »
    Went down to Harvey Norman today to pay for some stuff I put a deposit on a few weeks ago.

Saw a nice lamp table for 120, asked how much it was and I was told it was 110 in the sale. Told them to keep it.

I dont think they discount by much at all , or if they do its on crap they want rid of.

That's it a lot of the "sales" are pure hype especially on electrical stuff where there always seems to be "€50 off" or such like.
    Best reductions I often find are later in January when the final reductions are on. Once you can find your size/colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

To paraphrase Fr. Jack, "Feck off shops"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Gotta question the sanity of anyone who'd queue up at 5am on Stephen's Day to buy clothes in Next!!! But people MUST do it, because otherwise they wouldn't keep opening.

Wish the shops would stay closed on the 26th. It'd be nice if we could have 2 days that almost everyone could be off (emergency services excluded obv) to just relax at home/with family/friends. Not necessarily for religious reasons or anything, just for a guilt-free break from business!

Post of the day year right there ^^^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭rs8

couldnt be bothered! me hungry

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

But hitting the sales today is a waste of the sheer joy of sleeping the turkey off until around midday, then crashing out in front of the TV with the Quality Street to watch the football!

In other words - f*ck shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jms2013

Lapin wrote: »
    Anyone going to the shops today is a sad fucker.

^Idiot^... Went down round 10am and picked up couple of tops at great price,in and out in about 20 minutes. Honestly if ya don't wanna go shopping today then don't, no need to judge those that do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I went out today, but only because we're off on holidays and there was something specific I had to get for the baby before we went. Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered. I always liked sales shopping on the 27th and don't see the need for the shops to be open on the 26th. I was very grateful for it today though.

I went into a Next at about 2pm, as I had to walk past it just to see if there was anything nice on sale for the baby. The place had been cleared out. The rails were bare. I asked the girl on the tills who said it was very busy at 6am with people stocking up on stuff for the year. The Next sale is great value for kids stuff though, I can see how if you had a few kids it would be worth getting in early and stocking up. Why they can't start the sale at 9am on the 27th I don't know though. As someone else said though, a lot of the people in shopping weren't Irish.

Happily, we went to the park afterwards and there were lots of kids playing with new bikes and scooters which was nice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

jms2013 wrote: »
    ^Idiot^... Went down round 10am and picked up couple of tops at great price,in and out in about 20 minutes. Honestly if ya don't wanna go shopping today then don't, no need to judge those that do.

I usually don't judge anyone but on this occasion I will.

Anyone who who lies awake all night and rushes out the door in a cold sweat to save a fiver on a 'couple of tops' on the only two mornings of the year universally acknowledged and given over as days to relax is a sad sad sad fucker person.

SAD.

Imagine - A couple of fucking tops.

The people who go shopping today are the type of people who have next years Christmas shopping done already.

The people who go shopping today are the type of people who have next years Christmas shopping done already.

And if the shops were open Christmas Day theyd be in there also...

Mod

Ehhhh - will ye stop attacking each other. It's Christmas like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I got a nice little Fujifilm T350 camera for €40- today, I'm kidding chuffed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

There was a woman on the BBC News this morning who was out shopping at all hours and had indeed "bought Christmas presents"

Mod

Ehhhh - will ye stop attacking each other. It's Christmas like.

Don't all the best family arguments happen at Christmas Whoopsadaisydoodles. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Era it's not for me, but i can see the appeal for some people.

People with children. Kids grow out of clothes. handy to buy the years clothes for them in one go at half price instead of full price.

People who recently moved house. I know people who sat on boxes instead of a sofa in their house for a month to wait for a certain sofa to drop in price by 500 euro. Ditto for appliances or whatever.

People who got vouchers for christmas. I'm sure those go a bit further in a sale than otherwise. Nice to have them used while you have holidays and it's still christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

I usually don't judge anyone but on this occasion I will.

Anyone who who lies awake all night and rushes out the door in a cold sweat to save a fiver on a 'couple of tops' on the only two mornings of the year universally acknowledged and given over as days to relax is a sad sad sad fucker person.

SAD.

Imagine - A couple of fucking tops.
    Well, we had a wander around Grafton st. Left home at 12 and traffic was non-existant. Me and the youngest went in and got his sim changed in meteor, she had a wander around Next and bought some shoes, then we looked in Brown Thomas for a giggle and went for a bite to eat. Great relaxing day out. Didn't feel even vaguely "sad" and the shops were buzzing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

pwurple wrote: »
    Era it's not for me, but i can see the appeal for some people.

People with children. Kids grow out of clothes. handy to buy the years clothes for them in one go at half price instead of full price.

People who recently moved house. I know people who sat on boxes instead of a sofa in their house for a month to wait for a certain sofa to drop in price by 500 euro. Ditto for appliances or whatever.

People who got vouchers for christmas. I'm sure those go a bit further in a sale than otherwise. Nice to have them used while you have holidays and it's still christmas.
    I don't disagree with what you're saying, parents do it here too when the sales start. But the difference is, the sales don't start on the 26th. That's the major issue I have.

Advertisement