Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowTV Box(Roku LT) - £10.00 inc (€11.89) new model £14.99

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Blue Crystal

Think I'll leave 4od until they iron out the bugs; it ruins watching a programme

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

Skidrow. This thread has turned into a book so here is the laymans version.
    It is free 100%, but you need to register an account with Sky with a debit or credit card . You will get one month free of the movies . If you don't wish to continue with it, i think there is a box you should un-check to make sure it does not automatic charge you for a second month. If you goto youtube it will give you instructions on how to set up PLEX on the box . Plex lets you view all the films and media you have on your computer , on your TV via your home network. You manage it on you computer. Once you learn the ropes with it, you will never look back.
    4od is available through the app store on the tv .
    BBC I player will not work unless you want to get into you router settings and pay for a UK IP address.

So for a tenner you get a TV hd streamer and a month of movies via sky. Plus extra apps you may wish to mess with.

It is uncrackable as yet with regards to getting Netflicks .

Can it play movies from a nas

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭brevity

soundsham wrote: »

If you install plex on the nas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Can anyone point me in which direction I should be looking at between this and the Google chromecast?

Will either let me stream from chrome browser the likes of wiziwig? Are both capable of streaming music aswell as video? Any + or - between the two that anyone could point out would be great, thanks!

5500 wrote: »
    Can anyone point me in which direction I should be looking at between this and the nowtv here -http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057001096

Will either let me stream from chrome browser the likes of wiziwig? Are both capable of streaming music aswell as video? Any + or - between the two that anyone could point out would be great, thanks!

Get an android TV box instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Get an android TV box instead

Sorry I posted arseways and ment between this and a google chromecast :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

soundsham wrote: »

Note that if its the Zyxel NSA310, all your movies need to be in mp4 format as the nas cant transcode the file (not that ive found anyway).

Other than the ongoing process of having to convert 75% of my library, its a very handy cheap player & i'm considering buying a 3rd one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭stimpson

I've got a new Sammy smart tv and the Plex app does the buisness. If anyone wants a second hand one for a tenner then let me know via PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭howardmarks

stimpson wrote: »
    I've got a new Sammy smart tv and the Plex app does the buisness. If anyone wants a second hand one for a tenner then let me know via PM.

Ill take it if your in dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭M00lers

Note that if its the Zyxel NSA310, all your movies need to be in mp4 format as the nas cant transcode the file (not that ive found anyway).

Other than the ongoing process of having to convert 75% of my library, its a very handy cheap player & i'm considering buying a 3rd one.

I've a NSA325 and all my files are mkv. Does Plex on the NowTV Box not play mkvs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

it does play anything streamed with Plex server

Well if its anything like mine, the Plex media server (on the NSA) wont stream the files in any format other than mp4. If it doesnt, you either need to convert the mkvs or install PMS on a pc which will do the transcoding as it streams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

that usually means it's just not beefy enough to convert any other format. my nowtv takes anything my old q6600 machine spits out

Yeah I'm on the lookout for a replacement, has been fine to date but capacity and function wise it's time to upgrade or look into building a server from spare parts

I ain't got time to read 70 odd pages of posts :eek:

On another note I can't see my playlists in the youtube app...anyone any ideas if it's possible to see them?

Thanks

Have to login on the server into Google. Must use your Gmail username without the @Gmail.com .
    Then should see watch later etc on the tv when using app

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

glasso wrote: »
    Have to login on the server into Google. Must use your Gmail username without the @Gmail.com .
    Then should see watch later etc on the tv when using app

Hi,
    It says enter youtube user name on the app. I can login ok and see my subscriptions but not playlists or watch later. Do youtube username and gmail username without the @gmail.com have to match or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭brevity

Anyone know what the default video playback options are?

I messed around with them and the quality of the stream is terrible now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BogManInc

Do these come with USB ports or SD card ports? Can you use the device to play avis, mp4s, mkvs and the likes with a usb memory stick on this via a tv? or is it just wifi streaming only? thanks

Hi,
    It says enter youtube user name on the app. I can login ok and see my subscriptions but not playlists or watch later. Do youtube username and gmail username without the @gmail.com have to match or something?

mine don't match. I can see watch later. maybe ensure that your google account is linked to your youtube account....

BogManInc wrote: »
    Do these come with USB ports or SD card ports? Can you use the device to play avis, mp4s, mkvs and the likes with a usb memory stick on this via a tv? or is it just wifi streaming only? thanks

no usb or sd. need to use plex media server installed on laptop or desktop with plex client installed on the box. easier to do than it sounds...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmQBcbVLWZc

just buy it. it's worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BogManInc

glasso wrote: »
    no usb or sd. need to use plex media server installed on laptop or desktop with plex client installed on the box. easier to do than it sounds...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmQBcbVLWZc

just buy it. it's worth it.

Thanks for that glasso, appreciate it.

does plex require a wifi connection as i don't have a decent bb connection, just using mobile bb. I just want something cheap and easy to play mkv and mp4 files etc.. on my tv so not sure if the NowTv box is for me or not. I wont be streaming.

BogManInc wrote: »
    Thanks for that glasso, appreciate it.

does plex require a wifi connection as i don't have a decent bb connection, just using mobile bb. I just want something cheap and easy to play mkv and mp4 files etc.. on my tv so not sure if the NowTv box is for me or not. I wont be streaming.

need wifi. but you could use a wifi hotspot from your phone to create wifi if you don't have a router. you will be streaming - from your pc to tv but won't use data bandwidth as not using the internet (but internet initially required to connect now tv). other option is to buy a router for 10 euro on ebay and use that just for the local wifi. the phone wifi hotspot may not work so well

Looking into get a plex compatible NAS, anyone have any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Tippex

I've a Zyxell nsa 325 and could not be happier with it.
    It comes with twonky pre-installed which is ok but the advanced features of plex really kicks ass.
    It takes a bit of work (10 mins or so) to actually get plex installed onto it and works a dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I'm using a Synology NAS, although my model doesn't support Plex (Yet?) it's a brilliant device. It does so much and takes a lot of hassle from things like backing up and downloading files. There are plenty of Synology devices that support Plex though. Plex and a NAS really is the way to go. Brilliant device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Any chance "David Attenborough's Natural History Museum" will be available on this, or is it movies only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Will this handle 1080 or is it limited to 720?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Roger00

The constant buffering on my two boxes is doing me head in. I wont be renewing my subscription after Christmas.

The constant buffering on my two boxes is doing me head in. I wont be renewing my subscription after Christmas.

• Advertisement

Advertisement