Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enda Kenny..Ireland's greatest ever Taoiseach?? Discuss

Options
  • 20-12-2013 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

This debate started in the boozer after several pints & numerous shots of whiskey. We came to the conclusion that the current Taoiseach Enda Kenny may well be the greatest head of Government Ireland has ever had.. Let me tell you how we reached this conclusion

Enda- He looks the part, there is a bit of a Liam Neeson about him,You could picture him ringing someone like Michael Martin & saying "I will find you and I will kill you". Infact if Spielberg is ever making a movie on how Kenny rescued Ireland from Troika, Liam can play the part. Apart from that
    He gets sh!t done!! Were out of the bailout, unemployment is on its way down, tourism is up, construction sector growing, economy is roaring again with plenty of growth predicted, exports are up, more multinational companies like Twitter & Facebook setting up & expanding..all since Enda arrived in office, thanks Enda!

Brian Cowen- with a head like that surely he should have never been head of Government, looks a bit like Peter Griffin & if your nickname is BIFFO then you cant even be considered as the best Taoiseach ever. Also he was in charge when we went bust, lost our sovereignty, mass unemployment & mass emigration became a way of life for the Irish. Call me a Negative Nelly but if Biffo was still running the show we would be screwed

Bertie Ahern- the fact some people i know spelt his name Birthday Ahern poses an immediate problem. We actually like Bertie though, sound lad who likes his footie & a pint, we did originally get him mixed up with Dustin The Turkey but hes cool in our book. But with the Mahon Report & accusations of corruption his legacy is tainted. Also no Taoiseach former or current shouldnt be junping out of wardrobes for newspaper adverts. We did have good times, Celtic Tiger etc but the decisons he & Fianna Fail made whils in power contributed to us going bust.

We did discuss John Bruton but we just mainly tried to see how many jokes of his name we could make like John Brutal, John Who, Long Mutan..wasnt very funny but went on for about 5 mins..we didnt make a joke of Bert Reynolds considering the man is currently unwell so we agreed he was a top man & wished him the best, think we actually raised a glass for him too.By the time we got to Charles Haughey we were a drunken mess so i cant think of what was said about him, cant imagine it being good though

Anyway, Enda Kenny Taoiseach ever! Discuss

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

No thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

This thread has already rendered me incontinent.

• Site Banned Posts: 263 ✭✭Rabelais

He's certainly up there. Some massive work done around social issues as well as the recent good news about the economy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

This is why people shouldn't talk politics in the pub.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

proud to be a gaelar

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I really hope someone gives me a Christmas present of a botlle of whatever it is you were drinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

He is the best taoiseach in my lifetime, but considering his competition that really isn't much of a compliment.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Enda- He looks the part, there is a bit of a Liam Neeson about him,You could picture him ringing someone like Michael Martin & saying "I will find you and I will kill you"

Cringeworthy stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

This debate started in the boozer after several pints & numerous shots of whiskey. We came to the conclusion that the current Taoiseach Enda Kenny may well be the greatest head of Government Ireland has ever had.. Let me tell you how we reached this conclusion

Enda- He looks the part, there is a bit of a Liam Neeson about him,You could picture him ringing someone like Michael Martin & saying "I will find you and I will kill you". Infact if Spielberg is ever making a movie on how Kenny rescued Ireland from Troika, Liam can play the part. Apart from that
    He gets sh!t done!! Were out of the bailout, unemployment is on its way down, tourism is up, construction sector growing, economy is roaring again with plenty of growth predicted, exports are up, more multinational companies like Twitter & Facebook setting up & expanding..all since Enda arrived in office, thanks Enda!

Brian Cowen- with a head like that surely he should have never been head of Government, looks a bit like Peter Griffin & if your nickname is BIFFO then you cant even be considered as the best Taoiseach ever. Also he was in charge when we went bust, lost our sovereignty, mass unemployment & mass emigration became a way of life for the Irish. Call me a Negative Nelly but if Biffo was still running the show we would be screwed

Bertie Ahern- the fact some people i know spelt his name Birthday Ahern poses an immediate problem. We actually like Bertie though, sound lad who likes his footie & a pint, we did originally get him mixed up with Dustin The Turkey but hes cool in our book. But with the Mahon Report & accusations of corruption his legacy is tainted. Also no Taoiseach former or current shouldnt be junping out of wardrobes for newspaper adverts. We did have good times, Celtic Tiger etc but the decisons he & Fianna Fail made whils in power contributed to us going bust.

We did discuss John Bruton but we just mainly tried to see how many jokes of his name we could make like John Brutal, John Who, Long Mutan..wasnt very funny but went on for about 5 mins..we didnt make a joke of Bert Reynolds considering the man is currently unwell so we agreed he was a top man & wished him the best, think we actually raised a glass for him too.By the time we got to Charles Haughey we were a drunken mess so i cant think of what was said about him, cant imagine it being good though

Yourself and your mates sound like a crowd of nutjobs. :)

No, he's useless, he hides from debates and is guarded from saying anything that might resemble his own opinion by a crowd of minders and spin doctors. One of the blandest post war leaders in European history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Despise Fianna Fail but Lemass was a man of vision

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Nothing like debating the auld sod in a pub in New York to add a rose tint to your glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Red Kev wrote: »
    No, he's useless, he hides from debates and is guarded from saying anything that might resemble his own opinion by a crowd of minders and spin doctors. One of the blandest post war leaders in European history.

You say that like its a bad thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

This debate started in the boozer after several pints & numerous shots of whiskey......

The old rule stating 'what happens in the pub, stays in the pub' should have been applied here.

For your own dignity.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Its All Wright

Might also add Enda was a big hit with the ladies we spoke to...BIFFO would have to put a bit of work in & have a wallet full of 50's, suprizingly enough Bertie would have to make do with a bag of chips & babestation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Seán Lemass

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Tom

The first rule of Pub Debate Club - you don't talk about the debates outside the pub.

Phoebas wrote: »
    You say that like its a bad thing.

A true and great leader has some sort of vision. Kenny has none.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Might also add Enda was a big hit with the ladies we spoke to...BIFFO would have to put a bit of work in & have a wallet full of 50's, suprizingly enough Bertie would have to make do with a bag of chips & babestation

I bet ye were rolling in poon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Red Kev wrote: »
    Yourself and your mates sound like a crowd of nutjobs. :)

A lot of country leaders do this. They just ignore the opposition and criticism. Before they used to come out and fight now they hide and unfortunately live to fight another day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I ask my self this regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Has anyone managed to find the punchline yet?

gramar wrote: »
    A lot of country leaders do this. They just ignore the opposition and criticism. Before they used to come out and fight now they hide and unfortunately live to fight another day.

I'm not aware of any Prime Minister/President running from a national debate on live TV in the run up to a General Election like Kenny did with TV3.

His failure to show up at the debate on the referendum on the Seanad which was his idea is another sign of insecurity/cowardice/bad leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

I hate the modern FF with a passion, but in fairness to Sean Lemass he was probably the best Taoiseach to sit in that office by almost any objective standard. The best man to sit in that office on the other hand was Garrett Fitzgerald.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

What I find interesting is that a lot of chicks in their twenties fancy the knob off Enda.

As for his politics, meh....does what he's told by the Troika. What's so great about that? Made the poor, poorer in every aspect. Targeted the disabled relentlessly.

The man himself has a contempt for ordinary people particularly the elderly.
    Gave a loser like Noonan the finance position for no reason (cronyism) Didn't have the bottle to shaft Bruton after he tried to topple him before the general election.

He's ghey for image. All show when things are going good with a fleet of his photographers and then disappears when there's job losses, sending out camera whores like Varadkar to talk about everything except transport. Enda appears useless if there's no cue card to read from. He avoids debates for this reason alone.

The good? Pretty much told the Catholic Church to go f*ck themselves so fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

One of the actual worst ever in my opinion, maybe not quite as bad as Biffo or Bertie but not far away, shocking.

Anyone who thiniks otherwise needs their head examined.

Irish people are stupid, they'll probably vote FF in next term, a vicious merry go round and nothing changes insteaf of giving someone like United Left Alliance a chance, they might not have all the answers but they could not possibly any worse than the last lot or this current lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Tom

jonnny68 wrote: »
    One of the actual worst ever in my opinion, maybe not quite as bad as Biffo or Bertie but not far away, shocking.

Irish people are stupid, they'll probably vote FF in next term, a vicious merry go round and nothing changes

I was right with you up until -
    insteaf of giving someone like United Left Alliance a chance, they might not have all the answers but they could not possibly any worse than the last lot or this current lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I think he's completely useless and terrible and he eats small children for lunch and I would do a much better job but I'm too

*busy spouting abuse on the internet/ lazy to get up off my arse and do something/ afraid I'd lose my dole/ much of a bullsh1tter/ out of touch with the real world/ far up the holes of the lefties and the Communists

*insert as appropriate.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

Irish people are stupid, they'll probably vote FF in next term, a vicious merry go round and nothing changes insteaf of giving someone like United Left Alliance a chance, they might not have all the answers but they could not possibly any worse than the last lot or this current lot.
    Is he worse than Jack Lynch, Liam Cosgrave, John Bruton or Charlie Haughey?

Advertisement