Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

primary teaching dare access?

Options
  • 17-12-2013 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

anyone know if u get like 420 for a course that's 460 you would get in when ur eligible for dare?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Really depends on the condition that the applicant has and the demand for the course. Perhaps contact the careers/admissions office in the college for further info.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

It doesn't work like that at all, there are a couple of places reserved for DARE, to get those places you have to do better than everyone else on DARE that didn't get in on points. It's usually 5-15 points off. 15 points off is rare.

There are some super rare cases for people that go for really unpopular courses, someone in my college got 30 off a course with 20 places. For something like teaching you'd be lucky to get 10 off. 5 is all I would bank on. The points for teaching are going down though as there is no chance of getting a job teaching in Ireland in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭6thyearlife

A girl I know got 60 points off last year but I hear that is rare

What course though?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭doogybag

GarIT wrote: »
    It doesn't work like that at all, there are a couple of places reserved for DARE, to get those places you have to do better than everyone else on DARE that didn't get in on points. It's usually 5-15 points off. 15 points off is rare.

There are some super rare cases for people that go for really unpopular courses, someone in my college got 30 off a course with 20 places. For something like teaching you'd be lucky to get 10 off. 5 is all I would bank on. The points for teaching are going down though as there is no chance of getting a job teaching in Ireland in the next few years.

I heard if u get within 40 points of it, u can get through?

• Advertisement

do you think the points for teaching will go down this year 2, by 5 points maybe?

doogybag wrote: »
    I heard if u get within 40 points of it, u can get through?

That's not how it works at all, 2.5% of places are reserved for DARE (It's usually rounded up) and then entry is exactly like the regular entry where DARE students compete to see who got the highest points, whoever got the highest points gets the place.

Most people that apply to HEAR and DARE don't get anything off at all, you have something like a 50% chance off getting anything off and the majority of those are either 5 or 10 points off, it could be useful but don't take it for granted.

what condition did she have? what course was it? and was it dare or hear thanks!

That's not how it works at all, 2.5% of places are reserved for DARE (It's usually rounded up) and then entry is exactly like the regular entry where DARE students compete to see who got the highest points, whoever got the highest points gets the place.

the college told me that, how do you know this?

what condition did she have? what course was it? and was it dare or hear thanks!

The condition is completely irrelevant, you can't be asking that.

• Advertisement

the college told me that, how do you know this?

I went through the system myself, the info is all on the internet. Even just check the info that came with your application.

I went through the system myself, the info is all on the internet. Even just check the info that came with your application.

how did you get on?

what was the course the girl did who got 60 points of?

how did you get on?

what was the course the girl did who got 60 points of?

There was nothing taken off my course for HEAR or DARE. Anyone I know that got in lost in the random selection and then got in through access.

There was nothing taken off my course for HEAR or DARE.

why not?

why not?

I already explained, if you are on DARE you are competing with all the other DARE students, enough DARE students got the places at the original points so there were no DARE places available.

You really should do some reading before you mack such a big life choice while you know so little about what you are doing.

I already explained, if you are on DARE you are competing with all the other DARE students, enough DARE students got the places at the original points so there were no DARE places available.

You really should do some reading before you mack such a big life choice while you know so little about what you are doing.

so does that mean if I get the original points for the course and I am a dare student, and all the dare places are gone, I don't get in, even though I got the original points, sure that couldn't be right?

so does that mean if I get the original points for the course and I am a dare student, and all the dare places are gone, I don't get in, even though I got the original points, sure that couldn't be right?

please replay! im confused!

please replay im confused?

No, you compete for a CAO place like everybody else, the people that don't get a CAO place then compete for a DARE place.

No, you compete for a CAO place like everybody else, the people that don't get a CAO place then compete for a DARE place.

so I would get in if I got the original points? did u not get in because u didn't get the points?

• Advertisement

so I would get in if I got the original points? did u not get in because u didn't get the points?

I got in, the points of the last place in my course was 425, the points of the last HEAR and DARE place was also 425. Points aren't an entry requirement, they are a measure of demand and how well people did that year.

I got in, the points of the last place in my course was 425, the points of the last HEAR and DARE place was also 425. Points aren't an entry requirement, they are a measure of demand and how well people did that year.

well then that was fine for u, u had the points, why didn't the points go dwn for hear and dare? u said some1 in ur course got in 30 points lower?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Please use less text speak thanks.

well then that was fine for u, u had the points, why didn't the points go dwn for hear and dare? u said some1 in ur course got in 30 points lower?

Not on my course, in my college. I was making the point that it is rare but can happen.

Not on my course, in my college. I was making the point that it is rare but can happen.[/QUOT

is my cao offer and my dare offer not the same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 STP50

OP- you apply to CAO for your course like everyone else and compete on the same basis.
    If you are eligible to apply for DARE you indicate this on the CAO and complete the application separately.
    Information on how to do this are on http://www.accesscollege.ie/dare/
    You will be informed in June (after the leaving Cert) if you are accepted for a DARE place.

Once accepted you then only have to meet the entry requirements for your first choice,
    If there are more DARE applicants for your 1st choice than there are reserved places available then I understand that the DARE applicants are
    ranked in points order.

I know of someone who got Law & Business in TCD and was 80 points off the cut off.
    I also am aware of someone in 2012 who got Vet in UCD and was about 60 points off.

Make your application and do your best - the hardest part is getting accepted on to DARE in the first place.

http://www.tcd.ie/pathways-to-trinity/assets/pdf/DARE%20statistics%202012.pdf

STP50 wrote: »
    OP- you apply to CAO for your course like everyone else and compete on the same basis.
    If you are eligible to apply for DARE you indicate this on the CAO and complete the application separately.
    Information on how to do this are on http://www.accesscollege.ie/dare/
    You will be informed in June (after the leaving Cert) if you are accepted for a DARE place.

Once accepted you then only have to meet the entry requirements for your first choice,
    If there are more DARE applicants for your 1st choice than there are reserved places available then I understand that the DARE applicants are
    ranked in points order.

I know of someone who got Law & Business in TCD and was 80 points off the cut off.
    I also am aware of someone in 2012 who got Vet in UCD and was about 60 points off.

Make your application and do your best - the hardest part is getting accepted on to DARE in the first place.

http://www.tcd.ie/pathways-to-trinity/assets/pdf/DARE%20statistics%202012.pdf[/QUOTE]

thanks, so its if you don't get your offer in cao first, you might get it in dare offer? how much do you think I would get off for primary teaching on average?

Nobody knows any anyone that claims to know would be very wrong to do so. For a popular course you won't get much off if anything but that's as far as anyone can speculate.

Nobody knows any anyone that claims to know would be very wrong to do so. For a popular course you won't get much off if anything but that's as far as anyone can speculate.

sorry, I was asking the other person, not u!

• Advertisement

sorry, I was asking the other person, not u!

Boards is for open discussion anyone can reply if they want to. You should be really careful if you are just listening to what you want to hear, you will end up not getting what you want due to accepting misinformation.

Advertisement