Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norman Voyager - Celtic Ferries (aka LD Lines)

Options
  • 03-12-2009 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭

So,

About the Norman Voyager and its Rosslare - Cherbourg route.

Have you travelled on this ship? What did you think? Recommendations etc etc.

Now Celtic Link Ferries

http://www.celticlinkferries.com/

Formerly LD Lines route to Le Harve. Same Ship.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭ollaetta

I haven't used the Norman Voyager as it's new to the Rosslare - Cherbourg route but I have been on their other ship a number of times.

Celtic Link provide basically a stripped down version of Irish Ferries and Brittany Ferries services. This is not necessarily a bad thing as it depends on what you want. If you're not bothered about onboard shops, bars and restaurants etc. and just want to get over to the continent at a reasonable cost, they are fine. Cabins are basic but clean and do the job. Grub is included in the cost and is decent.

I wouldn't like to use it them though if I had lively kids or early teenagers. There is nothing to keep them occupied and it could be a long crossing.

The pictures of the new boat on the website suggests that it is a step up from the Diplomat so it is possible that they are taking it to a new level.

The only real quibble I had with Celtic Link was a number of delayed departures which they didn't handle very well from a keeping us informed point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

They appear, by their info and timetable, to be offering a similar service to Brittany Ferries in so much that they are going to do Ireland to France once a week return and the rest of the week they will be doing UK to France return.

We do not need the frills of bars and restaurants, game rooms and cinemas because its only 2 adults and the price is €697 return, Irish Ferries €956 and Brittany €1280 so on price it sounds ok but at 18 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Went with LD Lines on this ship in July to Le Harve and it was fine. We booked a 2 berth cabin with them. I wouldn't like travelling that lenght of time without a cabin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭skibum

Pictures and layout of the Norman Voyager:
    http://www.ldlinesenthusiasts.co.uk/fleet/normanvoyager/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

I assume they don't take foot pax?

• Advertisement

BenShermin wrote: »
    I assume they don't take foot pax?

I think they do. They definitely take cyclists anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

gandalf wrote: »
    I think they do. They definitely take cyclists anyway :)
    :eek: They actually do, I'll have to take a trip on that next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,005 ✭✭✭✭phog

Berty wrote: »
    So,

About the Norman Voyager and its Rosslare - Cherbourg route.

Have you travelled on this ship? What did you think? Recommendations etc etc.

Now Celtic Link Ferries

http://www.celticlinkferries.com/

Formerly LD Lines route to Le Harve. Same Ship.

Have you considered using the UK as a land bridge and then crossing to France from there? Depending on were you're heading to on the continent it might be a better option. Drive to Portsmouth/Poole and cross to Cherbourg or to Dover and cross to Calais. I've done both (Ire - France via UK & Ire - France direct) and I think I prefer the landbridge option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Gvillage

I must say that I went on the Norman Voyager recently between Rosslare and Cherbourg and found to be a great experience. I found the staff very friendly, the food nice and most of all, it did NOT cost me an arm and leg.

There was a very slight delay with departing, but it was only mere minutes. I could not speak highly enough about my experience with Celtic Link. In fact, I am thinking about going to France again for the France- Ireland match in Paris on the 13th Feb.:D

I would whole heartedly recommend anybody this year that is going to France to use Celtic Link. From what I can gather by looking at their summer prices people could end up saving a truck load of money on their summer holidays in comparison to Irish or Brittany Ferries. Well, thats just my opinion!:)

Hi GVillage,

It must be easy to hop back and forth on the ferry with all those EMPLOYEE discount you probably get. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Gvillage wrote: »
    I must say that I went on the Norman Voyager recently between Rosslare and Cherbourg and found to be a great experience. I found the staff very friendly, the food nice and most of all, it did NOT cost me an arm and leg.

There was a very slight delay with departing, but it was only mere minutes. I could not speak highly enough about my experience with Celtic Link. In fact, I am thinking about going to France again for the France- Ireland match in Paris on the 13th Feb.:D

I would whole heartedly recommend anybody this year that is going to France to use Celtic Link. From what I can gather by looking at their summer prices people could end up saving a truck load of money on their summer holidays in comparison to Irish or Brittany Ferries. Well, thats just my opinion!:)

Booked ourselves in with Celtic link for June over to Cherbourg after some good reviews from parents in my kids chool. Seems they offer free food on the journey and besides the boat not having a huge shop,bar,cinema (who cares) it worked out 550 euro cheaper than irish ferries for the same route. One happy family right here.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SACH Central

Any updates or any recent reviews on this. I was looking at a review site today. It said that the new ship, the Norman Voyager, was not operating as of 10/01/2010. This was due to 'operational reasons'.

Thinking of taking it in August as there's good savings over the other two operators. Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

Ive recently booked for August with them, at half the price of Irish ferries, and cheaper than the flight too.

And also took a trip down to Rosslare today and the Norman Voyager was Docked in the harbour loading up, so seems to be working grand to me. (lights on, still floating). :D

I decided after much looking and being made redundant from two jobs to book a cheaper alternative.

Im going Landbridge to France. €290 return for Irish Ferries and €72 return on the Folkestone-Calais Tunnel.

Not soo bad. Also booked two recently opened Travelodges for €24.50 each.

So I saved a fortune.

Very happy and we decided to spend another night in the UK to do a bit of shopping and stuff on the way to France.

Splashing out on a Holiday Inn Express. :D

So although it would be handy to go direct the dates were not practical and its cheaper to book your holiday in August/September/October but the ferry companies don't release their prices until late December which is silly because the price of the accomodation has gone up on campsites by then. :mad:

Cost me €434 for two of us to france from rosslare, there was nothing comparable on a land bridge option including Petrol and time. Going with Celtic link in August. Cheapest way i found to get to the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I about about the same. Going in June. There appear to be very few reviews of the ferry on the internet so hoping it will be o.k. The pictures on the celtic link website look o.k.

Yeh i cant find any reviews either, The boat itself is only 2 years old, Irish ferries one is 23 years old i think. Depends what ur looking for i guess. Im lookin for the cheapest way to the continent and to bring my car. It makes no odds to me if there is an lcd screen with Reruns off "friends" on some free to air sat channell. so as long as it aint a coffin ship im happy.

Celtic link seem to be the Ryanair on that route. and the cost speaks for itself. Maybe if you get the chance after you travel in june that you might post a few lines of a review on them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

No problem... Will post a review when I get home. I'm happy enough also to do without added extras in order to get the cheaper price.... I'm going to pack backgammon to while away the hours.

I just put my dates into Celtic Link Ferries website. €618 and there are 0 cabins left.

Im glad I dont leave things till the last minute. Thats 2/3rds the price of my 2 week holiday. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 saidm

HI,
    I used both ferries from Rosslare to Cherbourg last two summers so I can give some reviews on both companies.
    First I had the same feeling as doing a comparison between Ryanair and Aer lingus for flights.

Norman voyager (Celtic link was LD lines) was a brand new ferry but everything in it was very basic and strict minimum : 1 small and basic cabin with 2 beds with thin and uncomfortable mattress, 1 small shower room, plastics panels vibrations in the cabin all the night, 1 very small shop, 1 bar and 1 small restaurant with quiet good food. Very boring crossing, but happy to reach France for cheap.

In Irish ferries I felt more comfortable with a nice cabin 2 comfortable beds, TV, shower room, very comfortable, many restaurants, pizza, coffee, bars, 1 big shop, enjoying just walking around.
    The price difference was 100 eur extra for Irish ferries but I really enjoyed that travel, with LD line Norman Voyager I only find a cheaper way to get to France.
    So If your goal is only to reach Cherbourg for cheap in a basic comfort the best deal is Celtic link.
    If you like comfort, distraction and enjoying your crossing, pay an extra money and get irish ferries.
    My holidays in France started in Cherbourg with Celtic Link while it started in Rosslare with Irish ferries.

• Advertisement

saidm wrote: »
    My holidays in France started in Cherbourg with Celtic Link while it started in Rosslare with Irish ferries.

You've been brainwashed by Irish Ferries advertising. :D

Lol , yeh id except that though, but the difference in price for me was near €400 rather than €100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 saidm

Lol , yeh id except that though, but the difference in price for me was near €400 rather than €100

400 eur extra!!!!!eek.gif
    It s no point spending that money for a nicer ferry, no worries Norman Voyager is still ok as it is a 2 years old ferry, the food was good and the crossing is only 20 hours so after a long sleep and a shower you will be in France with an extra 400 eur for your holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Just off Irish Ferries Oscar Wilde yesterday.

My god its showing everyday of it 23 years. Especially in the cabins. Having gone over the previous week with Brittany ferries and been spoiled on the Pont Aven it really was a disappointment to see how much has changed for the Oscar Wilde in just one years service for Irish Ferries.

I would happily use Celtic links Norman voyager if the times and prices suit me.

One think that has always struck me about Irish ferries ships to France are they are so slow 18 hours on Celtic link, 14 on Brittany and 19.5 on Irish ferries. P+O used to do Dublin to Cherbourg in 21 Hrs. The timing of their winter crossings is aimed at freight drivers and not tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Happy Campers x 5

Just home from France having used Celtic Link (Norman Voyager) for the first time. Yes the boat is smaller than other boats on the Ireland to France route and the food's not free as other reviews suggest, but my God what a brilliant experience. The Boat is immaculate from top to bottom and a credit to the crew who work on her. You could eat your food off the floor of this boat. The food was very reasonably priced and very nice, however, a bigger selection might be a good idea. The staff were nice and helpful especially the people in the restaurant. We were very sceptical ourselves having 3 kids and there isn't alot for kids to do on this ferry, so bring plenty of toys for them to play with. Dinner for the 5 of us €44.60, Full Breakfast €22.60 beat that on any other ferry. We are coverted and won't be using any other company next year. Our holiday started the minute we got on the ferry and the journey was faster than estimated on both trips. Well done Celtic Link.

Travelling with them at the end of the month and it looking forward to it. Went with them last year and found the service very good with them with the exception of the food.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Happy Campers x 5

Hi Gandalf. As i said in my thread. We found the food very good and reasonable, a bigger selection might be good idea for Celtic Link to work on. We have 3 kid's and still they didn't leave the table hungry. The Cabin's are more comfortable on Norman Voyager aswell. We normally travelled out of Cork as we live only 30 minutes drive from Ringaskiddy, but for the value for money on Celtid Link I'd rather drive the extra 2 1/2 hours. Plus we saved about € 550 with Celtic Link I Hope you will be as happy as we were after your next trip.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

We've just booked our Sept hoilday with them. They don't charge any extra for dogs, and you can keep the dog in your car. Which is a big bonus. So that saves us €140 already on Irish Ferries.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Looking at using them myself, they sail on the same day as IF but depart a few hours later, our saving would only be €80 but we could lose that by ending up later at our first destination and having to use a hotel instead of camping. Not sure what to do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭munsterleinster

Used them in October. It was the old ship then so havn't tried the Norman Voyager yet.

I hope they've pulled their socks up as the boat was 2 hours late departing without any explanation.
    On board it was 80% truckers and by 10pm they were mostly drunk truckers...Then the fun and games started with the punch ups between the drunken Irish and South African truckers..

As I said, I hope they've pulled their socks up but they seem to make Ryanair look like highly polished professionals

http://www.seabreezes.co.im/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=153:celtic-concerns-as-norman-voyager-loses-sailings&catid=30:ferry-world&Itemid=51

Advertisement