Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cattle on land, no rent paid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

If the cattle are in your dads herd number what's happening with them. I assume that means they are legally yours and it's a very expensive lesson.
    It's not unknown for slightly dodgy situations to exist whereby animals are placed in herds to maintain stocking rates. While I'm not suggesting for a second that this is the case here it is an example of what can go wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

Well done. Slow and steady wins the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

get the cards and sell them out of the place asap

If the cattle are in your dads herd number what's happening with them. I assume that means they are legally yours and it's a very expensive lesson.
    It's not unknown for slightly dodgy situations to exist whereby animals are placed in herds to maintain stocking rates. While I'm not suggesting for a second that this is the case here it is an example of what can go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Lucky the neighbour let the bull in. Them cows should be worth more as springers than strippers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Wow, and all because yr man insisted on being a pr1ck,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Who has the cards for the cattle I wonder? It could be a job getting them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

Bizzum wrote: »
    Who has the cards for the cattle I wonder? It could be a job getting them?

No. The other will have to cooperate. The dept will reissue anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

No. The other will have to cooperate. The dept will reissue anyway.

They'd only love if this made news TBH as it would put people off this type of sharp practice.

Result ginger. You might end up farming yet:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

:confused: Confused I am. So these 30 cattle were your Dad's all along? Did this guy ever own them? Was he saying that he owned them? It doesnt make sense.

:confused: Confused I am. So these 30 cattle were your Dad's all along? Did this guy ever own them? Was he saying that he owned them? It doesnt make sense.

Be careful whats answered here as there is a chance this will go to the court and imagine lossing it over an answer on here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

RESULT - Well DOne

• Registered Users Posts: 11 gingerfarmer

Hi
    Thanks for the support. The department handed over the cards for the cattle when the went to the guys farm too make sure all his cattle were tagged and had cards. As the cattle where mine they took the cards and sent them to me. Most of the bullocks have gone to the factory. All the cows are pregnant and we all so have a few late season calf's left.

The bull is being sent auction in a few weeks as it is a rare breed( a Scottish Galloway). All of the cows will be sold along with the calves in the summer.

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Hi

Sorry for keeping you all waiting. Most of its been sorted the lawyer sent out the letter but the cows didn't move. So he rang the department about it just to check things. Turns out the cows are all under my late dads herd number, so I can now do what ever I want with them, They are also considering reducing his herd number limits with visits from the department every 3 months. Once the department started investigating him the tax people got on his case cause his name was flagged when it got sent through the system so he owes a pile of tax as well. And my mum has decided to go to court for him trespassing in the field multiple times.

I suppose he got what was coming to him ;)

He certainly did.

That chape grass for him doesn't look too cheap now I'll bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

That's a great result he must be a right b***is knowing that and still not wanting yo pay for the grass. Your up alot so by the sounds of it. Keep an eye out for revenge the like of him won't lay down on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Take your costs for land and your time sorting the problem and return the balance if any to him

That's what I'd suggest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

I wouldn't be so cocky about the way things have gone. Ownership could still be disputed even though the cattle are in your dads herd number. The law is usually on the side of the unlawful unfortunately

I had similar problems having bought cattle a few years ago and then the man died. The animals were in his herd but I had paid for them. It took along time to sort that particular issue out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,193 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I had similar problems having bought cattle a few years ago and then the man died. The animals were in his herd but I had paid for them. It took along time to sort that particular issue out

Had he cashed the cheque, Bob?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Had he cashed the cheque, Bob?

yes, I had created a movement permit, but there was someone interfering with the mans post if you get my drift. Took many many months but I had the Dept on my side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

there was someone interfering with the mans post if you get my drift.

Where there's a will, there's a way relative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Sharpshooter82

Where there's a will, there's a way relative.
    :D:D so true, in the wrong way i mean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

delaval wrote: »
    Take your costs for land and your time sorting the problem and return the balance if any to him

That's what I'd suggest

+1. Did he own the cattle but transferred them into your dads herd no for whatever reason? If so keep your costs and return the balance to him. You have your land back and payment for rent. You don't need to stoop to his level. No luck in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Mr NoTV

Seems as though 'The Field' is still alive and well in this country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

Had the same with my cousin after my uncle died. Uncle left the farm to my mother. She had fond memories of him when he was a child and let him graze his cattle there while we decided what to do. The fec*** drove his tractor through stone walls that were built by my grandfather instead of opening the gate. Robbed 2 gates when we told him to get off the land.

thomur wrote: »
    Had the same with my cousin after my uncle died. Uncle left the farm to my mother. She had fond memories of him when he was a child and let him graze his cattle there while we decided what to do. The fec*** drove his tractor through stone walls that were built by my grandfather instead of opening the gate. Robbed 2 gates when we told him to get off the land.
    pity he didnt write off the tractor doing it

sell the cattle to bob

sell the cattle to bob
    be better off in the factory :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Mod Note

Lads and ladies, please don't advocate anything illegal or stupid.

Please don't post something for the sake of evolking an argument (Trolling)

Please don't feed the troll. Report it instead!

If you fail to do any of these, please don't pm me wondering why you got a warning, infraction or ban!

Reilig
    Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

I wouldn't have too much sympathy for that fella using the land and your dad's name for his own good, but I agree that if you have money left over it should go back to him, chances are someone else is out of pocket from him too.

When you started this I'm sure all you wanted was him out and hopefully you might get something for your mum. You got a windfall so take out what is due to you less your expenses like the solicitor and so on then get your solicitor to pass a cheque back if there was a bit left over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I wouldn't give him any leftover money. I'd donate it to a charity that helps out farmers. Some of the farmers here probably know a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

ken wrote: »
    I wouldn't give him any leftover money. I'd donate it to a charity that helps out farmers. Some of the farmers here probably know a few.

And send him a photocopy of the receipt so that he knows where the money went and you have proof what you did with it also.

Advertisement