Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worcester Greenstar Boiler issue

Options
  • 26-11-2013 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭

I have a newly installed Worcester Greenstar 30CDi Classic Gas boiler that's giving me a problem, maybe someone here can help ..

Basically it cuts out now and again, it's happened 5 times or so in the last week.

It gives 'EA' error on display, and needs to be reset in order to restart. Problem is it usually takes several attempts to restart, making strange noise while trying.

I've uploaded a video of the boiler attempting to restart below. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Have a listen to the noise it makes at 19 seconds and 35 seconds. This noise sounds far worse in reality and feels like the boiler is vibrating off the wall !.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Is that a gurgling noise coming from it??
    To me its not the boiler but the way is installed. The condense sounds like it is blocked (or the trap not fitted)
    Either way who ever installed it will have to come back to it.
    Just at the back of the manual there is a benchmark that should be filled in. What reading of the co% on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

I agree with Roy. If it's recently installed the installer has to come back to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Agree, but you can also hear it sparking but no flame establishing. Gas valve, fan issue?
    Very hard to tell as a very strange swishing sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

v10 wrote: »
    I have a newly installed Worcester Greenstar 30CDi Classic Gas boiler that's giving me a problem, maybe someone here can help ..

Basically it cuts out now and again, it's happened 5 times or so in the last week.

It gives 'EA' error on display, and needs to be reset in order to restart. Problem is it usually takes several attempts to restart, making strange noise while trying.

I've uploaded a video of the boiler attempting to restart below. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Have a listen to the noise it makes at 19 seconds and 35 seconds. This noise sounds far worse in reality and feels like the boiler is vibrating off the wall !.

Thanks.

EA is a fault code associated with flame failure usually due to gas supply issues. I can't really tell what the noises are as I watched it on my phone. If the sound of running water is from the boiler the system needs to be bled properly. The noise is possibly from the pump due to air in the system. I have never had a problem like that with a Worcester Bosch boiler that I installed. Where are you located? You need to get the installer back ASAP!

It sounds like it's full of condensation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

I have a newly installed Worcester Greenstar 30CDi Classic Gas boiler that's giving me a problem

What did your installer say when you rang him. ?

JohnnieK wrote: »
    It sounds like it's full of condensation.
    I have just listened to it again and id say you are spot on JohnnieK! Don't use the boiler until that is sorted!

By jaysus, if it is that's a hell of a lot of condensate! They are a down firing boiler, aren't they?

Well spotted JK.

shane0007 wrote: »
    By jaysus, if it is that's a hell of a lot of condensate! They are a down firing boiler, aren't they?

Well spotted JK.

Excuse me i said condense first...

A favourite one why the condense is blocked is condense pipe is drilled straight into the ground or they haven't fitted the condense trap and left the blank on.

These boilers are bullet proof it has to be an installation problem.

A favourite one why the condense is blocked is condense pipe is drilled straight into the ground or they haven't fitted the condense trap and left the blank on.

A lot to be said for an air break on the line.

• Advertisement

That you did, that you did. I take it all back from JK.

Don't you just hate when people steal your glory (or phrases \0/, not looking at any particular mod.....) :D

That you did, that you did. I take it all back from JK.

Don't you just hate when people steal your glory (or phrases \0/, not looking at any particular mod.....) :D

Hmmmm

Hmmmm

I only use that one so much 'cos I know how much Gary loves reading it.....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

hmmm....

but +1 on the condensate, drag back your installer by the ear...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

Thanks lads, yes, it appears that it was full of condensation.

I removed the black pipe from the white pipe (see image) and about a litre of water came out. It then started no problem without any unusual noise.

I ran it for an hour and took another half litre or so of water out again, so it seems it can't drain the condensation.

The white pipe in the image joins a washing machine waste down below and a couple of metres to the left of the boiler.

For those that are asking, I have had the installer out already and he said he fixed it (said something was blocked) but it only lasted a few days. I'm now waiting on him to come back again !

b5422d.jpg

Looks like he should be doing a bit of re-wiring too. You cannot fit electrical cables cable tied to pipework. They should be clipped to the wall with wire clips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

God that's rough . Is that a 15mm gas feed aswell ?

Egass13 wrote: »
    God that's rough . Is that a 15mm gas feed aswell ?
    yes it's 15mm .. What should it be ?

3/4" but it might be 3/4" in wall & tailed up in 1/2".
    You would need to know the gas working pressure of the boiler when the boiler is in forced high fire & with all other gas appliances in full also.
    The gas working pressure is checked at the meter with everything on, should be between 19 & 23mbar. Then compare to the working pressure at the boiler. A maximum allowed loss is 1mbar so if meter was 20mbar, lowest boiler can be is 19mbar.

yes it's 15mm .. What should it be ?

On a WB boiler it should be 3/4" all the way. Due to internal pipe work on the gas train in a WB you can have as low as 16.5mb at the test nipple on full fire.
    As per other posters... That is a rough looking install! I would be less than happy if he did that for me.

• Advertisement

MiniGolf wrote: »
    in a WB you can have as low as 16.5mb at the test nipple on full fire.

Regs would not allow that low as the maximum pressure loss across pipework is 1mbar, so it would be a NOH.
    I agree though many boilers will happily work away at low working pressures due to under-sized pipework, but when gas rating them, will it be within the -10% kwh output? If not, another NOH offence.

NOH
    Whats NOH ?

Worcester technician came out and looked at it today, confirmed it could not drain the condense, reckoned the pipe didn't flow well or something, advised to have installer check the pipe.

Also said the pressure was 15? mbar I think, said it would be ok but just noted it.

I'm not happy now.:mad:

Regs would not allow that low as the maximum pressure loss across pipework is 1mbar, so it would be a NOH.
    I agree though many boilers will happily work away at low working pressures due to under-sized pipework, but when gas rating them, will it be within the -10% kwh output? If not, another NOH offence.

I didn't want to get too involved and technical as this is the public forum but see below:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/94934419@N07/11090774496/

(Sorry, but can't seem to post directly to Boards!!)

NOH = Notice Of Hazard.

It must be issued to the homeowner whenever there is a noted hazard or non-compliance of current regulations.

The NOH is handed to the homeowner, a copy kept by the issuing RGI & a copy sent to RGII. Then RGII writes to the homeowner advising them in writing that they should have the offending works corrected.

If the offending part of the installation is immediately dangerous, the appliance must have it's gas supply disconnected & capped. If it is not immediately dangerous, it can be left on but should be done as soon as is practical.

MiniGolf wrote: »
    I didn't want to get too involved and technical as this is the public forum but see below:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/94934419@N07/11090774496/

(Sorry, but can't seem to post directly to Boards!!)

Yes, you are correct. There seems to be a further 1.5mbar loss from the boiler gas isolation valve to the gas valve.
    Is the WB that restrictive between those points as that is a hell of a loss for such a short piece of pipework?
    16.5mbar at the gas valve would only be allowed if the working pressure at the meter was only 19mbar though.

16.5mbar at the gas valve would only be allowed if the working pressure at the meter was only 19mbar though.
    Yep! It's only there as the lowest permissible reading as per example given. I wouldn't be happy with it though!!

Why is there such a pressure loss between the two points? 1.5mbar is enormous!

Why is there such a pressure loss between the two points? 1.5mbar is enormous!
    Can't find a pic but.... Reduced pipe size internally and a good few sharp bends!!

10sq earth not connected onto the gas pipe either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

JohnnieK wrote: »
    10sq earth not connected onto the gas pipe either.

And what'd he use to bend those pipes?? Looks like spring bending to me

Advertisement