Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin announce new Megabucks Sponsorship deal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

There shoud be a fairer allocation of sonsorshp money in the GAA.How the hell can counties like Offaly,Longford,Laois et who all compete in the same provincial championshi asthe dubs expect to give them a game when they have fuk all money for there training fund .They already start of at a disadvantage by having a smaller population.

Surely the GAA could introduc a policy whereby 15-20% of all intercounty sponsorship has to go into a centralised pool and the this money is spread out to every intercounty team with the smaller and less financially stong county teams getting a higher percetage of the money and the likes o Dublin,cork etc gettig nothing.it would mean there would be some levelling off of intercounty teams training funda and thus the standard of training each county oud do wouldnt be as ar apart.

Fair play to Dublin they are dong a great job of promoting the GAA both in Dublin and througout the country and are an example to all other county boards on how they should be marketing their teams however my suggestion above wouldnt act as a disincentive for any county to get their own house in order and make themseves properly it would just help level the playing field.

I honestly think that if things keep going as they are in maybe 10 years time Dublin will have a fully professional team while the rest will still be amateur.The way things are going there isn't a great incentive to play intercounty GAA in alot of counties, leveling the playing field would help improve standards in smaller counties and would be better for intercounty football.If a gap keeps growing between the havs and havnots the GAA championships will suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

But Dublin have more clubs and players than other counties, hence more maintenance costs, more footballs, hurleys, helmets etc. required

Perhaps GAA could take 10% of all counties'sponsoprship and set up a central fund to help out wherever needed.

Although really, I'd just leave things as they are.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Waterford footballers have gone out and done their own fundraising, Longford hurlers the same - and they are two cases I'm aware of.

Lot of people are forgetting about the big change coming next year, which might help the smaller counties in the fact that they can now have two sponsors on the jersey. Takes the pressure off looking for a half a million euro deal, when they could get two smaller deals.

What other county besides Dublin spent €2 million last year in preparing teams?? They need the big deals to cover the costs!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Dublin have a huge amount of clubs and players to fund, spreading it out the money is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

BPKS wrote: »
    Funny that a company who got an $85 billion bailout from the US government in 2008 can go around sponsoring Man Utd and Dublin GAA.

It would be the equivalent of Anglo Irish Bank sponsoring Swansea City and the
    Ospreys today.

They don't sponsor Man U - it's the All-Blacks rugby team.

The difference is that AIG paid back the $180+ billion dollars last year with the American taxpayer making over $22 billion on the deal - http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887323339704578172960483282372

I doubt that Anglo will be stepping up to do that ......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

AIG did sponsor Man United until 2010, four year deal iirc for £14 million a year. All Blacks is only recent and is worth about £7.8 million a year to the All Blacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

So how do you convince Dublin or any county for that matter to give up some of their sponsorship money for a central fund. Its their money as a result of their own negotiations and hard work. I doubt any county board would be too willing to write cheques for other counties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

If I was a Dublin Football or Hurler I would be thinking I deserve a piece of the pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Dots1982 wrote: »
    If I was a Dublin Football or Hurler I would be thinking I deserve a piece of the pie.
    Pretty sure that both Dublin teams have competent nutritionists who have requested players refrain from eating all sorts of pies!

Why? They know what they signed up for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

iDave wrote: »
    Why? They know what they signed up for.

Signed up for? No contract of employment means they are free to refuse their services at anytime,

Signed up for? No contract of employment means they are free to refuse their services at anytime,

If theres no contract of employment theres no expectation of a salary. Yes they are free to refuse to play and concentrate on their clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Fianna Fowl

£7.8 million a year to the All Blacks.

We are selling ourselves cheap at €1m a year, what All Black would make the Dublin team?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

Are Dublin "buying" the All-Ireland??

the Manchester City of Gaelic football perhaps..

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭dubdamo

freddiek wrote: »

Yeah, I heard they are putting in a big money transfer for the Gooch :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

No they are not buying the AI in either code, you need the raw materials 1st. Grow up. All the complaining on this thread smacks of jealousy.

I'm involved at grass roots level and put in lot of work in our underage section for no pay, like every other GAA volunteer throughout the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

******************Breaking News********************

Colm Cooper hands in transfer request after the Kerry County Board refuse Dublins offer of 3 million for the ace forward.
    Sources understand the Kerry Board are not willing to let Cooper go for anything less than 4 million and also want Alan Brogan as part of the deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Slattsy wrote: »
    ******************Breaking News********************

Colm Cooper hands in transfer request after the Kerry County Board refuse Dublins offer of 3 million for the ace forward.
    Sources understand the Kerry Board are not willing to let Cooper go for anything less than 4 million and also want Alan Brogan as part of the deal.

Pfft Seanie Johnston will go for free!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Like Kerry and Tyrone did in football?

Like Kilkenny in hurling?

Your posts are painful to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭El Viz

It's not even funny with you anymore!
    You seriously need to take your bigoted opinions and **** off.

• Advertisement

Buying the All Ireland - gotta be having a laugh. You have no idea of the work that goes in at underage and in the schools in Dublin. Being from Cork, I'm not jealous of the money they have, I'm very jealous of the structures that they have put in place for development. A few people really looked into the future, got the money while it was there and put the structures in place - hurling in Dublin is the biggest example - their recent success is completely down to hard work at underage.

rebel girl,

don't forget all the outside help Dublin gets which other counties don't. How many of these coaches, mentors etc that do the underage work aren't even from Dublin?

A huge amount I'd say..

You mention their hurling success, well the man at the helm was Anthony Daly. certainly not a Dub so do we take it that there wasnt a Dub hurling man capable of managing the county side?

rebel girl,

don't forget all the outside help Dublin gets which other counties don't. How many of these coaches, mentors etc that do the underage work aren't even from Dublin?

A huge amount I'd say..

You mention their hurling success, well the man at the helm was Anthony Daly. certainly not a Dub so do we take it that there wasnt a Dub hurling man capable of managing the county side?

Long before Daly came in there was huge work being done that laid the foundation for it by many people from Dublin. Previous manager wasn't a Dub either.

Can you give me the information regarding outside help? What do you mean - who is apparently helping them? 50 coaches employed by the DCB for development - is that outside help??

Its them looking out for their own - people living in Dublin involved in Dublin underage GAA

Long before Daly came in there was huge work being done that laid the foundation for it by many people from Dublin. Previous manager wasn't a Dub either.

Can you give me the information regarding outside help? What do you mean - who is apparently helping them? 50 coaches employed by the DCB for development - is that outside help??

Its them looking out for their own - people living in Dublin involved in Dublin underage GAA

rebel girl,

Im not buying that the improvements in Dublin hurling came from the expertise of Dublin people...

why this sudden dramatic improvement?

Dublin were always a poor side in my lifetime. They rely so much on outside help I can't remember the last Dublin-born manager they had

rebel girl,

Im not buying that the improvements in Dublin hurling came from the expertise of Dublin people...

why this sudden dramatic improvement?

Dublin were always a poor side in my lifetime. They rely so much on outside help I can't remember the last Dublin-born manager they had

Hard work in schools and underage development is how it happened - putting structures in place. There were some outside people involved, not quite as outside as you are showing. About ten years ago, the board looked at good people working in Dublin GAA - didn't matter where originally they had been from and put a solid underage structure in place. Thats not outside help really They put a good schools coaching programme and proper development squads - they put in a proper coach education programme. And you claiming that outside people did all this?? It wasn't! They have a great development website for at least the last five years

I'm still waiting for you to provide all this evidence of outside people helping?? There was a number, yes, but it wasn't like you seem to be portraying of all outside people sorting Dublin hurling. It shows what you can get if you put in a huge lot of hard work with proper educated coaches in place

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭ThePieintheSky

Surely the GAA could introduc a policy whereby 15-20% of all intercounty sponsorship has to go into a centralised pool and the this money is spread out to every intercounty team

I can show you why the GAA would support AIG only being interested in Dublin and not change a thing:

money.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Success breeds success and it's no surprise sponsors want to get on board. Fair play to Dublin for landing this deal. It's not buying the all ireland, it is seizing an opportunity.

Btw Kerry are about to build a €5m centre of excellence, Dublin may not have it all their own way forever. Would be great to have more development like this in other counties and see everybody raise the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

El Viz wrote: »
    It's not even funny with you anymore!
    You seriously need to take your bigoted opinions and **** off.

It was never funny though.

The only way this fella will get tired of this is if everyone stops responding. He gets a reaction every time!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Oh freddiek, such a wind up merchant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 RebelAbu32

cant see nothing wrong with this its up to other country boards to go out and get the best deal for there team

Advertisement