Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless calving cameras

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭roadrunnermick

user37 wrote: »
    Hi,

i'm looking to buy a cow calfing camera as a present and not sure weather the wireless one would work or if id need to go to the traditional wired one (which id rather not!). the shed is within the 200m from the house. it's an older house with thick walls, does that matter? Also the bedroom is the far end of the house (i dont know if any of this matters). there is trees and a lower shed between the house and calving shed, would this effect my wireless camera.
    Sorry about all the questions, i dont really understand how they work!

Also is equicom a good company to go with

thanks

Hi ,

Ok I would suggest that you might post a picture the exact (LOS) Line of site, of the potential interference .Using the traditional 2.4GHZ spectrum that a lot of these wireless systems use, the interference of trees can be the tipping point of signal loss and thus will leave you holding a system which is completely useless.

Post a picture would be best and I will weigh in along with other Boardies.To see what solution can be recommended

trepasers wrote: »
    just wondeirng a friend of mine has a shed about two miles from his house...The shed and house are blocked by a hill... Just wondering what would be the best thing to do in this situation....He wants something so that ha can see cows calving instead of having to make the trek up every night..He has power at the shed....any help appreciated

OK two systems come to mind for this.

1, 3G cameras solutions
    * Depends on network coverage , Check with all your networks i your area and see which have best 3G coverage
    *Lots of people using them here and have some good success
    *Down side can be that you are at the mercy of the network provider ,

Mobile quotes the peak mast speed shared among everyone, real ISPs quote the package speed. Download is not the biggest issue , Upload also an issue . Mobile broadband also high degrees of traffic shaping under different circumstances, sometimes you can be on 3G other times 2.5G or worst still 2G .Best of luck even opening googles homepage no mind viewing a video on that connection

2 Wireless Point to multi point solution
    *Networking a number of wireless radios together ,which gets around LOS issues
    *Excellent picture and low levels of latency.

Downside Equipment depending on setup can be expensive and quite hard to setup ,
    Advanced theories like Fresnel zone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

user37 wrote: »
    Hi,

i'm looking to buy a cow calfing camera as a present and not sure weather the wireless one would work or if id need to go to the traditional wired one (which id rather not!). the shed is within the 200m from the house. it's an older house with thick walls, does that matter? Also the bedroom is the far end of the house (i dont know if any of this matters). there is trees and a lower shed between the house and calving shed, would this effect my wireless camera.
    Sorry about all the questions, i dont really understand how they work!

Also is equicom a good company to go with

thanks

Purchased a system from them a while ago. Products received day after ordering and everything I ordered (and more - few extra connectors etc) was received ok. Product seems decent quality but manuals (esp for Multiplexor) were poor - half of it was chinese and the other half very poor english. Responses to technical queries were fair but I have a techy background so worked things out myself.

System is generally more powerful than specced. I am getting decent picture with receiver in my attic roughly 160m from transmitter. (Slate roof - 11yeaar old house).

2nd receiver is in another house roughly 60m from transmitter and is placed on a shelf under tv roughly 10ft from window. (no line of sight). There is slight interference on this receiver when you walk past it but that is to be expected and is not a sign of poor performance of receiver. Everyone sitting down = picture is fine.

Picture sharpness would not be the same as say RTE but I knew that before purchasing it as per technical spec. It is perfectly fine for cow watching. We have 2 cameras installed (DIY) in 1 bay of a shed - camera one is maybe 10ft up and other side maybe 14ft and there is no way you could read a cow tag as I have seen other sellers of equipment claim. Then again I would guess the higher spec could mean higher price too which may be overkill.

We purchased a microphone as part of system and I could be wrong but supplied cables meant it was connected too near to multiplexor and was picking up buzzing noise from this unit. I had a spare audio cable (and extra shipped connectors came in handy) and placed it maybe 6ft away and it is perfect now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

Hi ,

Ok I would suggest that you might post a picture the exact (LOS) Line of site, of the potential interference .Using the traditional 2.4GHZ spectrum that a lot of these wireless systems use, the interference of trees can be the tipping point of signal loss and thus will leave you holding a system which is completely useless.

Post a picture would be best and I will weigh in along with other Boardies.To see what solution can be recommended

Google earth may supply the picture he needs. I used it to measure the distances for my installation.

leex wrote: »
    Google earth may supply the picture he needs. I used it to measure the distances for my installation.

Hi Great point leex, Google maps will do as well , however make sure the Maps are readable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 kenyDoIt

hi. have just put up a few cam for calving, wireless, wired, Ip. even VHF when there was no line of site. have a few pic's up on [snip]you will find a mumber for Pat there, give him a call, i'm sure he will point you in the right direction,
    Also if you are using IP cam with 3G DO NOT USE VODAFONE they block all ports

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Can anybody recommend a decent ptz camera ( over 3x..) that doesn't break the bank?
    Seems to be a jump from 100 to 500 !

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jon1145

Recently purchased an ip camera for my calving shed from a company in [Snip] excellent system, just plug in and it works. Ended up using 3G broadband as my eircom was way so slow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Jon1145 wrote: »
    Recently purchased an ip camera for my calving shed from a company in Wicklow, www.camba.tv excellent system, just plug in and it works. Ended up using 3G broadband as my eircom was way so slow
    Hi Jon
    Do you have any affiliation with this company by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jon1145

Absolutly none as all, im a dairy farmer in laois, just was impressed with the service i got and how simple their product is

Quote=just do it;80930021]
    Recently purchased an ip camera for my calving shed from a company in Wicklow, [snip] excellent system, just plug in and it works. Ended up using 3G broadband as my eircom was way so slow
    Hi Jon
    Do you have any affiliation with this company by any chance?[/Quote]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Absolutly none as all, im a dairy farmer in laois, just was impressed with the service i got and how simple their product is

Quote=just do it;80930021]
    Recently purchased an ip camera for my calving shed from a company in Wicklow, www.camba.tv excellent system, just plug in and it works. Ended up using 3G broadband as my eircom was way so slow
    Hi Jon
    Do you have any affiliation with this company by any chance?
    [/Quote]
    Welcome to boards!

3G is hit and miss from what I gather, although you appear to be having good results. Are you using it got your home BB as well? I've slow eircom but it is sufficient for a calving camera - I think ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I have a normal camera and wifi Vodafone in the house which is pretty good. The calving house Is about 30 metres away. Any ideas lads what I should do to set up for my phone? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Anyine with a 3g camera running on a 3g sim, how much would you spend on 3g credit per month approximately? Or have you got a price plan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Black Smoke

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I have a normal camera and wifi Vodafone in the house which is pretty good. The calving house Is about 30 metres away. Any ideas lads what I should do to set up for my phone? Thanks

What do you mean by a normal camera?
    Do you mean it's a standard camera, hard wired to the house, which you can view on the TV screen?

What do you mean by a normal camera?
    Do you mean it's a standard camera, hard wired to the house, which you can view on the TV screen?
    i had it wired to the house(tv), but the cables gone now,would i need to buy a wireless camera to work it off my phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭SKIPPY150

I have a wireless camera in shed which transmits to either the tv or a handheld unit. It has no pan or tilt or zoom features but gives a very good picture. My question is can I connect this camera to my phone and if so what do I need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Black Smoke

SKIPPY150 wrote: »
    I have a wireless camera in shed which transmits to either the tv or a handheld unit. It has no pan or tilt or zoom features but gives a very good picture. My question is can I connect this camera to my phone and if so what do I need

No. Not really possible to get that on your phone.
    You need an IP camera or camera wired to your router / computer in order to view over the internet on your phone.

can the ptz camera be controlled by zooming in and out and moving left or right through my iphone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

can the ptz camera be controlled by zooming in and out and moving left or right through my iphone?

yep, there are heaps of apps for IP cameras for the iphone that are very good, really good control

Hey will be in the big apple over christmas and I was wondering if I invest in a PTZ camera in the US will it work over here. Also can you tell me what is the best make and if there are other bits and pieces that I need to get. Budget is modest enough so Im looking at good quality rather than top of the range. Cheers Skippy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 agricamera

Hey will be in the big apple over christmas and I was wondering if I invest in a PTZ camera in the US will it work over here. Also can you tell me what is the best make and if there are other bits and pieces that I need to get. Budget is modest enough so Im looking at good quality rather than top of the range. Cheers Skippy

Hi

I do have an affiliation with a company that manufacturers / supplies lambing and calving cameras but I'm not here just to link drop. Hopefully can give you some advice re your question.

You've first got to decide whether you want a fixed camera (or multiple fixed cameras) or a PTZ camera.

The advantage of the PTZ camera is of course that you can move it around the shed. This obviously means you can cover a large area without having to have lots of cameras. The more expensive PTZ cameras have optical zoom which means the zoom works like a digital camera where the lens slides in and out.
    Therefore you can stick the camera high up in the centre of the roof of the shed, and move it around / zoom in wherever you like. Works great :cool:

But there are some big disadvantages. Firstly cost. A decent outdoor rated 360 degree PTZ with optical zoom will set you back about a grand. If you can afford that and have a big shed then it's a no brainer.

There are lots of cheaper PTZs about. Foscam / Storage Options / TrendNet etc. They range in price from about £30 quid to £300 quid. My honest advice is avoid them like the plague. They are not waterproof, the image sensor and importantly the lens is very poor quality resulting in a rubbish image, the infrared lights are hopeless. They also tend to pack up after ~9 months and there is no chance of getting them repaired under warranty.
    The second problem is the software / website that you use to view the camera. These cameras are all made in China, frequently in people's front rooms. Every other man and woman in Shenzhen manufacture IP cameras. The problem is none of them can write software, so they rely on buying the software from a third party. This is why the cameras all look very similar. The thing is the person who does write the software for these cameras is really not very good at it. They are terribly cumbersome to use and generally only work well in Internet Explorer (so no use if you use a Mac).
    The Foscam type PTZs are gradually improving, but the price is also creeping up and they still have a long way to go before they are in line with Axis / Sony / Panasonic etc. I'd steer well clear of them.

If you're budget isn't going to stretch for a decent PTZ, I'd go for a couple of decent fixed cameras. You get much more bang for your buck especially in terms of image quality (especially at night under infrared). There also a much better option if you have low ceilings or separate areas because you can have multiple cameras looking at different areas.

A decent quality fixed (non PTZ) camera will cost about £200. There are cheaper models available, but again, I'd avoid anything that looks too good to be true, because it more than likely is.

If you want to go shopping in the US, I'd recommend an Axis or Panasonic camera if you want to go for a PTZ. There will be a good saving, but it may not be as big as you think, and you've also got to worry about how to get it back to the UK without smashing it. (lots of glass in PTZ camera - couriers will not insure them). You would also have problems with warranty because you would have to send it back to the US if you ever needed warranty work. Most decent PTZs will come with a 3 year warranty.

The other problem with buying from the US may be getting the camera set up. Typically these cameras are used for industrial security applications and there is a lot of settings on them. It can be a frustrating experience getting them set up. We make sure you get your camera working and are always at the end of a phone to help you out if you have problems - you may not get this if you buy it from just the cheapest retailer who knows nothing about the actual camera.

Hope that helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭paconnors

have to agree with agricam as i work in that field myself, also by dealing with a contractor there stuff is guarunted, so you can trust there experteaseship.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭kingstown

Anyone seen the CowCam system? Seems a simple piece of kit. Digital, Waterproof, links to mobile Ph etc

http://ludaelektronik.com/content/en/cowCam/

what roughly would ye charge for a ptz camera working wirelessly to the house, im around 30 yards from the shed direct line

Thanks for that Agricamera. Thought about what you said and I think Ill be better off going for multiple fixed cameras as I have one up already. I need to get them linked up to the web though. What would this sort of system set me back also what part of the country are you based in

• Registered Users Posts: 31 agricamera

what roughly would ye charge for a ptz camera working wirelessly to the house, im around 30 yards from the shed direct line

It largely depends on how big (and how high) the shed is! Theres a big difference in price between a camera that will do a 60' x 120' shed and one more suited to a 30' x 30' shed :cool:

For smaller sheds we would generally recommend fixed cameras in preference to a PTZ. It gives you a lot more flexibility when mounting the cameras because you can have two or more 'viewpoints' - ie one camera on both sides of the shed lets you see both sides of the animals so you're more likely to be able to spot something.
    You can also have watch multiple 'views' at once on the same screen, whereas with a PTZ it can only be pointing in one direction at a time. And finally the fixed cameras tend to be easier to use from a phone (PTZ can be fiddly to control from phone especially if your internet connection is not great - lots of lag before camera moves).
    The fixed cameras also have (good) built in infrared lighting so you can see in the dark without disturbing the animals. The PTZ cameras don't have that benefit and I would avoid any PTZs that do (it's impossible - you would need a totally different IR spread when the camera was zoomed in / zoomed out).

If you want to go the PTZ route the big difference in cost is whether you want a full on PTZ with real optical zoom (moving lens) or if you just want pan / tilt and no zoom. If you are going to mount the camera high then you want optical zoom so you can individually zoom in on sheep / cows to see whats happening. The pan / tilt only cameras are better suited were you have limited height in the shed.

To answer your question - for the proper PTZ camera with optical zoom (made by Axis) and the wireless link kit to connect it back will run you about €1500 euros incl. VAT with a 3 year warranty. A fixed camera starts at about €350 and a pan / tilt only camera is in the middle of the two.
    Thanks for that Agricamera. Thought about what you said and I think Ill be better off going for multiple fixed cameras as I have one up already. I need to get them linked up to the web though. What would this sort of system set me back also what part of the country are you based in

At the risk of being seen as advertising have a look at our website: http://agricamera.co.uk/. The 'The AgriCamera System' pages explain it far better than I can here. We're across the water in the south west England :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Annuv

Apologies for bumping this old thread, I can create a new one if the mods prefer. This appears to be the main thread on calving cameras and when new threads are created, the posters seem to always be referred to here

I've read the thread and was wondering if anyone has any experience of using a IP cam, be it one bought as a package like from http://www.connachtagri.ie/ or www.agricamera.ie etc. or a DIY set-up, where the internet provider is 3 (National Broadband Scheme) NBS

The only internet available around in our area is NBS (which is disgraceful in this day and age) and to get it working to any acceptable level, we had to replace the dongle with a Huawei b260 gateway, provided by three

As a result, I suspect that an IP camera using mobile broadband via a dongle won't be feasible for us, considering the problems we had using a dongle previously

Anyone running an IP cam for monitoring livestock using 3 NBS?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭PureBred

I am Annuv with no issues. 3 broadband isn't the greatest but I can watch the stock live from work and its perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Annuv

PureBred wrote: »
    I am Annuv with no issues. 3 broadband isn't the greatest but I can watch the stock live from work and its perfect.

Thanks PureBred, good to know. If you don't mind me asking, which approach did you take? Did you buy from a supplier who also provided a wireless dongle for the IP camera?

• Advertisement

Hi Annuv,

Can you describe how far you live away from your farm and if there is (LOS) line of sight to your yard from your house?

Advertisement