Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abolish Seanad

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

locohobo wrote: »
    To anyone who is in doubt.
    Is it not best to vote to keep it, vote NO and then PUSH to reform it. Rather than vote to consign it to the scrapheap and forever have lost one thing that keeps check on a power grabbing government....

1. The government is not accountable to the Seanad. The govt effectively controls both the dail and the seanad
    2. The Seanad has no power. You can't grab power from a body that has no power in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

How about copying Luxembourg with its parliament of 60 and its population of 500,000?
    Perhaps we should be in proportion to them and increase our Dail to 600 TDs.

Or maybe the example just clarifies that comparing the sizes of parliaments in countries with 10x different populations is completely hatstand.

Why would we want to increase the lever of representation and therefore increase our tax burden? Was it not clear from my OP, that I was focusing on a need to reduce the level of parliamentary representation? Hence the reason why I highlighted some of our bigger European neighbours. So in light of that and the point I was making, what relevance has Luxembourg and a larger more wasteful parliament got to do with anything I suggested?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Why would we want to increase the lever of representation and therefore increase our tax burden? Was it not clear from my OP, that I was focusing on a need to reduce the level of parliamentary representation? Hence the reason why I highlighted some of our bigger European neighbours. So in light of that and the point I was making, what relevance has Luxembourg and a larger more wasteful parliament got to do with anything I suggested?

You were suggesting we had an overlarge parliament vis a vis comparisons to Germany and Westminster and that we should change to come into line with them. I was pointing out the basic flaw in attempting to copy countries with 10x populations when deciding parliament size.
    My comparison of Ireland to Luxembourg is ludicrous, but I was using it to emphasise how your comparison of Germany/UKs parliament to ours is also completely ludicrous.

FWIW the 'cube root rule of parliament size' is interesting to google, some good theory on the perfect size of parliament re population.

Out of interest, what way are the polls looking for the referendum?

It will be interesting to see what happens. The Irish people who have been so critical of the political establishment have (via the Constitutional Convention) already decided that no reform is required in our electoral system or in the number of TDs we elect. We have also decided via referendum that our Oireachtas cannot be trusted to run inquiries. Now we have a chance to decide if we keep or abolish an utterly ineffective, bloated, undemocratic, elitest and useless second chamber.

Unfortunately I fear that the govt are making a total hames of selling the message that we don't need a second chamber. 5 or 6 years on from the greatest economic crisis to hit this state and we could be left with a political system exactly the same as the one that played a major role in causing the crisis.

On another note, I find it both hilarious and nauseating at the same time that the biggest proponents of retaining and reforming the seaned are Fianna Fail. As the most dominant party in the history of the Irish state, they have been in government long enough to have reformed the seaned many times over by now. Instead they were the worst abusers of that institution. Ignoring calls for reform for more than 50 years. Stuffing it to the gills with party cronies, allies, as well as with both failed and aspiring TDs. Even worse, these calls for political reform are coming from the same people who tried to deny the people of Donegal representation in the Dail. It took multiple battles in the courts for them to call a by-election which they subsequently lost.

It would be monumentally stupid to believe that FF have any intention whatsoever of reforming the seaned.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Then again, the referendum (this and appeal's court) should be decided on their own merits - not as a plebiscite on the current or previous governments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

Manach wrote: »
    Then again, the referendum (this and appeal's court) should be decided on their own merits - not as a plebiscite on the current or previous governments.

True but if the argument against abolition is supposedly an argument in favour of reform, the credibility of the would-be reformers should be factored into people's decision making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Javan

View wrote: »
    True but if the argument against abolition is supposedly an argument in favour of reform, the credibility of the would-be reformers should be factored into people's decision making.

The credibility of would-be reformers is completely irrelevant. This referendum is not about reform.

None of the politicians of any party have any credibility.

The question we have to answer is would our lives in this country be better or worse without the Seanad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Fingers crossed the Seanad is abolished, low turnout may swing the vote against the proposal.The wording of the 2 ballot papers was absolutely awful, the government would deserve to lose the referenda on the basis of that alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Lisa2011

I want to see the Seanad reformed. If its abolished I truly believe it gives the Government far too much power to do what it wants.

It can be reformed. I dont believe Enda when he says it cant. The 20m savings is not definite. They cant predict that. I hope its defeated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Lisa2011 wrote: »
    I want to see the Seanad reformed. If its abolished I truly believe it gives the Government far too much power to do what it wants.

It can be reformed. I dont believe Enda when he says it cant. The 20m savings is not definite. They cant predict that. I hope its defeated.

Do you honestly think that Enda Kenny will create a rod for his own back by reforming The Seanad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

seligehgit wrote: »
    Fingers crossed the Seanad is abolished, low turnout may swing the vote against the proposal.The wording of the 2 ballot papers was absolutely awful, the government would deserve to lose the referenda on the basis of that alone.

Thought it was just me. It was dreadful. I thought I had gone temporarily dopey when I read them first. Had to read it two or three times. Be great if a 'No' vote was returned in my opinion, as the 'Yes' parties need a wake up call but I will be surprised if it happens. Turn out was dreadful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Fingers crossed the Seanad is abolished,QUOTE]
    Early tallies say that the Seanad may be saved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Fingers crossed the Seanad is abolished
    Early tallies say that the Seanad may be saved.

Well, it is going to be seriously close. Looks like it may be rejected as Dublin and Leinster are both rejecting it with 55% of the vote, on current indications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Not just me then.

I read the ballot paper twice just to be sure.
    Doesnt help that priority is given to Irish over English...... Gaeilge is alien to me.

The wife put a 'tick' mark in the 'yes' box.
    Again, confusing answering 'yes' with a mark usually deemed a negative.

Not just me then.

I read the ballot paper twice just to be sure.
    Doesnt help that priority is given to Irish over English...... Gaeilge is alien to me.

The wife put a 'tick' mark in the 'yes' box.
    Again, confusing answering 'yes' with a mark usually deemed a negative.

Bring back electronic voting!

Do you want to abolish The Seanad? Yes ... No

Please circle your choice.

There's a lot to be said for plain English.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Lisa2011

I too dont like the fact that priority is given to English either but I voted no to both. I want us to elect the senators not Enda. If its abolished in time people will be complaining that they should have voted no. It will be their own fault.

Its going to result in 54 amendments to our constitution and a small minority will have made that possible. Seems wrong. Australia fine people for not voting and it should be done here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Can someone please give me some valid reasons why the Seanad should and should not be dissolved

just bullet points

only elaborate on one or two of your points if you can

thanks

Reasons to abolish the Seanad.

1. There's too many politicians in this country.

3. Abolishing the Seanad will get rid of quite a few of them quickly.

3. Donie Cassidy.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Do you want to abolish The Seanad? Yes ... No

Please circle your choice.

There's a lot to be said for plain English.
    I really, really detest this constant pressure to dumb everything down way below the lowest common denominator.

It may be that the effect of what we were voting on yesterday was ultimately whether or not to abolish the Seanad, but the actual proposition being voted on was whether or not to give the government permission to amend the constitution. That was the question on the ballot paper, and it was the only question that legally could have been on the ballot paper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I really, really detest this constant pressure to dumb everything down way below the lowest common denominator.

Why is Harry Angstrom's supposed choice of wording "way below the lowest common denominator"? If it avoids voter confusion, let it happen.

Why is Harry Angstrom's supposed choice of wording "way below the lowest common denominator"? If it avoids voter confusion, let it happen.
    You could always try reading the rest of my post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Looks like two fingers given to the govt.

The senators that campaigned for a yes vote will presumably do the honorable thing now, and resign their seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

oscarBravo wrote: »
    You could always try reading the rest of my post.

I did. You would agree that levels of voter confusion should be reduced to as low a level as possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Looks like two fingers given to the govt.

The senators that campaigned for a yes vote will presumably do the honorable thing now, and resign their seats.

HA!

I did.
    OK, you just ignored it. Fair enough.
    You would agree that levels of voter confusion should be reduced to as low a level as possible?
    Yes. Unfortunately, "as low as possible" precludes asking people a question other than what they're actually voting on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Dublin & most of Leinster will carry the No.

Oh what will the handlers Enda do now?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Looks like a bloody nose for Enda.

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Dublin & most of Leinster will carry the No.

Oh what will the handlers Enda do now?

For the life of me, I can't understand why FG tolerate this idiot as Taoiseach. They had their chance to get rid of him before the last election and they blew it. His retort to Micheal Martin that he wouldn't want to embarrass him if they had a televised Seanad debate was the sort of thing you'd hear in a school playground amongst a bunch of 8 year olds.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

For the life of me, I can't understand why FG tolerate this idiot as Taoiseach. They had their chance to get rid of him before the last election and they blew it. His retort to Micheal Martin that he wouldn't want to embarrass him if they had a televised Seanad debate was the sort of thing you'd hear in a school playground amongst a bunch of 8 year olds.

You can throw in his comment too about how he won't bother reforming the Seanad, regardless of whether a no vote passes.

Advertisement