Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hope our Legislators are Proud

Options
  • 27-09-2013 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

Says what a fcuked up country we live in when an elderly couple from Tallagh are carted off to Jail for non payment of a poxy tv licence fine. Well done Enda and co!!!!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Is Enda a judge now too?

The legislators and those who implement the legislastion were doing what we all pay them to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

mountai wrote: »
    Says what a fcuked up country we live in when an elderly couple from Tallagh are carted off to Jail for non payment of a poxy tv licence fine. Well done Enda and co!!!!!

They've heard all the excuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

If only there had been some sort of warning...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I wouldn't say they're proud, they just don't care.

Any context?

Also thanks for reminding me the TV licence is due.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

It ain't no 'poxy' tv license brother.

It be there to pay inflated salaries to people with no god damn talent yo!

Everyone be bitches around those parts up in there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Here is the story.

They're not really elderly tbh. And the OP is totally framed in such a way as to look like they're really old and didn't pay their TV licence so they got sent to prison. Obviously there's way way way more to it than that. You get loads of notifications. It's weird the way the man says he'd pay the €1,200 if he had it, when he would never have had to pay €1,200 but €160 - in installments if needed. Actually no, not at all - due to them requiring to be on benefits because of the lady's disability.
    It doesn't say this is a f'ucked up country at all - it would happen in countries deemed better than Ireland.

You should apply for a job writing for the Herald OP.

They were in prison for 30 minutes? Jaysus, it's hardly the Shawshank Redemption, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I'd like to be the first to congratulate the authorities for enforcing the laws of the land for once...I hope this trend spreads to other law-breakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭hansfrei

Shudda waited till winter. Couldda saved them a few bobs off their heating bills

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

A RETIRED couple with serious medical problems were taken to prison this morning for half-an-hour for not paying their TV licence.

Ah here, I'm no fan of rte, broadcast charges etc. But I do be in the jacks longer than that every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Orlaw3136

mountai wrote: »

The only problem I have with this is if they didn't have a telly.

Why does it matter where they're from by the way ?

Sounds like a bargain for them to be honest. Spend 30 minutes in a room, have a €1200 fine wiped off. Result.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

They let a bloke into the Dochas Centre :eek::eek::eek:

He can count himself lucky they didn't bang him up with the Scissors Sisters.

Half an hour would be more than enough time for them to chop the head off him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Are the government not constitutionally separate from the judiciary?

Lapin wrote: »
    They let a bloke into the Dochas Centre :eek::eek::eek:

He can count himself lucky they didn't bang him up with the Scissors Sisters.

Half an hour would be more than enough time for them to chop the head off him.

And all he wanted was a short back and sides. It's shocking Joe, shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭PingO_O

The lady is wheelchair bound and her husband is waiting on a hip replacement, still a bit of a crappy thing to do to someone even if only for half an hour, pointless as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

If they were elderly, they would have free TV licence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Hundreds of thousands of people have to pay their bills. No sympathy.

PingO_O wrote: »
    The lady is wheelchair bound and her husband is waiting on a hip replacement, still a bit of a crappy thing to do to someone even if only for half an hour
    Probably the reason that it was only half an hour.

I agree it's stupid though. Just ridiculous bureaucracy - every box being ticked in order to close each case and file away.

In my opinion, the course of action would have been to just keep charging the €160 - but letters were ignored so there has to be a bit more of a threat for people to sit up and take notice. I don't believe for a second that they got no letter until the €1,200 one. I also don't believe their circumstances were known about until the jail sentence, which was then reduced to 30 minutes. The automated letters-issuing system can't be aware of individual circumstances unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

So this is what our police force are doing.

Our cities and towns are awash with crime. Burglary is rife. Muggings have become commonplace. Old people are living in fear. Homicides seem to happen on a daily basis now.

And our An Garda Siochana are pushing people in wheelchairs into prison.

Well done boys. I hope you're proud of yourselves.

jetsonx wrote: »
    Our cities and towns are awash with crime. Burglary is rife. Muggings have become commonplace. Old people are living in fear. Homicides seem to happen on a daily basis now.
    You're making Ireland seem like South Africa. It's not like South Africa.
    And our An Garda Siochana are pushing people in wheelchairs into prison.
    One sergeant met them.
    Well done boys. I hope you're proud of yourselves.
    It's not like they choose what work they do.

The unsupported hyperbole is pointless - and maybe more suited to TheJournal.ie.

South Africa? He makes it sound like Gotham City.

Where is the hero we need?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

TV license should be scrapped and so should most of RTE. Fair play to these lads for sticking it out till the bitter end

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

South Africa? He makes it sound like Gotham City.

Where is the hero we need?
    This City needs a Batman.

TV license should be scrapped and so should most of RTE. Fair play to these lads for sticking it out till the bitter end
    What use did it do them? They didn't get away with it, they just don't have to pay it because they are entitled to benefits.
    I don't think the TV licence is worth what it pays for either btw and see nothing wrong with people trying to avoid it, but when you're eventually caught, well that's that - you have to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

PingO_O wrote: »
    The lady is wheelchair bound and her husband is waiting on a hip replacement, still a bit of a crappy thing to do to someone even if only for half an hour, pointless as well.

What other laws shouldn't apply to wheelchair bound people or those on a waiting list for a new hip?

I assume this is the same couple from a few weeks ago? I notice they stopped using the pic of her walking with a walking frame while describing her as wheelchair bound.

Both are younger than Arnie btw. Everyone over 60 isn't on their deathbed or in need of protection.

. I don't believe for a second that they got no letter until the €1,200 one.

Even if it was true , I doubt neither of them knew the licence existed , so they knew they had to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Hundreds of thousands of people have to pay their bills. No sympathy.

Everyone pays their bills don't they but this is a pissing charge that dishes out massive salaries to people with mediocre talent.

Hey, guess what happens if I don't pay UPC? I get cut off.
    Guess what happens if I don't pay Bord Gais? I get cut off.
    Guess what happens if I don't pay my rent? I get thrown out.
    Guess what happens if I don't buy food? I will go hungry.

But...

Guess what happens if I don't pay my Tv license? I go to jail!!!

It's just ****ing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Whatever about the age of the couple, or the specific circumstances of their case; the fact that people are jailed for not paying for TV licences is just absurd. There's no way anyone could logically defend the practice. It's wasteful in the extreme and doesn't serve society in any way.

Wasn't the whole issue of jailing people for non-payment supposed to have been dealt with a few years ago? What's the hold up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭PingO_O

What other laws shouldn't apply to wheelchair bound people or those on a waiting list for a new hip?

I assume this is the same couple from a few weeks ago? I notice they stopped using the pic of her walking with a walking frame while describing her as wheelchair bound.

Both are younger than Arnie btw. Everyone over 60 isn't on their deathbed or in need of protection.

Even if it was true , I doubt neither of them knew the licence existed , so they knew they had to pay it.

I get you but it's the nature of the offense here and they weren't in great financial circumstances either according to the article, I'm not saying it's an outrage or anything but it is a bit of a crappy thing to do just to take their details and send them home, but femme fatale explained that above.

Advertisement