Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's with all the Anti-Arthur Day campaign ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭hansfrei

Arthur. Great man for farts.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I wonder will we also have a Methadone Day?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Reekwind wrote: »
    To be honest, that's pretty inane. There would be positives from turning the GPO into a MacDonalds but I'd still say that it's a stupid idea

How is that inane ? There are jobs/revenue streams created throughout the country with Arthur's Day. That's a fact.

Don't blame me for the idea of turning the GPO into a 'MacDonalds' (sic). It was your idea. :P

Now that the Dubs have won another All-Ireland, it's only a matter of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

So Arthur Guinness, not only founded the brewery, he was also heavily involved in charitable organisations. He was a board member of the Meath Hospital among other groups, his son; also called Arthur was on the board of Cork Street Fever Hospital from its conception in 1801 and was a very active board member for at least 23 years. He was a board member of at least 20 other charitable groups in Dublin.
    His grandson Benjamin Guinness was also on the board of Cork Street Fever Hospital and later the Coombe Hospital. He also financed the rebuilding of St Patricks Cathedral in Dublin.
    His great grandson also called Arthur( Lord Ardilaun) effectively gave us St Stephens Green. He also financed the rebuilding of the Coombe Hospital, of which he was also a board member.
    His other great grandson, Edward (Lord Iveagh) was responsible for that great experiment in social housing-the Iveagh Buildings in Dublins Inner City.
    Proof positive that there is lots of money in beer but also proof that the Guinness family have been involved in healthcare for centuries. These days of course we have a much more complicit arrangement. Diageo brew the beer, the government taxes it and indirectly funds the healthcare system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,327 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

That's every day for a lot of people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

How is that inane ? There are jobs/revenue streams created throughout the country with Arthur's Day. That's a fact
    Because there are positives to everything. Selling crack to schoolchildren would stimulate the local economy. Building a massive incinerator in O'Connell St would create jobs and lower energy costs. Ditto with putting a hundred windturbines in Phoenix Park. Working pensioners to death building motorways will reduce travel times and transit costs for manufacturers

All of these ideas are of course stupid but they all have positives. That doesn't mean that we would/should/could any of them but, if you're only following the logic of revenue streams, then you argue in favour of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

How is that inane ? There are jobs/revenue streams created throughout the country with Arthur's Day. That's a fact.

How many people can get actual jobs out of a one-day event? I mean sure, it probably takes a bit more planning than that but really, are there that many people who only have a job because of this event?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Your opinion is wrong

But that's not even the point. How many people here would be "whinging" if the 27 Sept was declared 'National Westlife Day' and there was a massive media campaign to encourage everyone to buy Westlife tracks and their songs were omnipresent?
    I wouldn't winge, I'd roll my eyes and carry on ignoring this kind of nonsense. Westlife can try this kind of thing all they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

To Martha!

• Advertisement

C14N wrote: »
    How many people can get actual jobs out of a one-day event? I mean sure, it probably takes a bit more planning than that but really, are there that many people who only have a job because of this event?

The Bands/Artists/Entertainers themselves
    Setting up/taking down stages (labourers)
    Logistics/Shipping stages, equipment etc...
    Stagehands
    Electricians
    Lighting
    Sound Engineers
    Security
    Medical Teams
    Sales Vendors (food) onsite and offsite
    Drink vendors (of all types) onsite and offsite
    Internal and External Advertising (web, print, radio and television)
    Media coverage (television, radio, and print)
    Marketing
    Merchandising and Sales (for individual events and bands)
    Manufacturing/making the items that are for sale
    Clean up crews
    Portaloos
    Landscaping after the event
    Transportation (buses, trains, taxis, etc ....)

How about tourism/people traveling to the events ?

Air fare
    Accommodations
    Car hire
    etc

You can then go into detail at the people at Guinness/Diageo and their supply chains.

Remember that this is a country-wide event. This is going to affect many different areas and industries, even if it is just for a short time. The country could use a few dozen other events of this size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Stagehands
    Electricians
    Lighting
    Sound Engineers
    Security
    Medical Teams
    Marketing
    Clean up crews
    Portaloos

Air fare
    Accommodations
    Car hire
    etc

You can then go into detail at the people at Guinness/Diageo and their supply chains.

Remember that this is a country-wide event. This is going to affect many different areas and industries, even if it is just for a short time. The country could use a few dozen other events of this size.

But how much of the money that will be spent to fund these jobs, would otherwise be spent on other entertainment-related spend? Many people will go out on Thursday instead of Friday or Saturday, they won't magically come up with extra money to spend - so any 'extra jobs' will really be just 'moved jobs'.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

awec wrote: »
    I think you've missed the point completely. Moore couldn't handle the drink, he needs to realise that not everyone is incapable of handling it.

He should stick to singing his wee country tunes, and leave the attention seeking nonsense out of it.

I think you've missed the point completely. His problem with it, is the normalising of a day where its completely acceptable to get smashed drunk and cause mayhem, especially among teenagers. Ireland has such a problem with binge drinking, and this day offers encouragement for it.

On Ray D'arcy last year, a group of firemen said it was their worst night of the year - worse than Paddys Day, Stephen night, Halloween, any football games. A&E's get overcrowded with drunken yobs, who cant handle their drink. And Christy is drawing attention to the fact that its Diageo, carelessly chasing profits, who are massively contributing to this problem.

Oh wait, wee country tunes? Obviously a different Christy Moore you're speaking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

By the way, since when has Christy Moore been at 'the top if his game'. FFS

Since his last 3 albums went to number 1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

xgwishyx wrote: »
    Have any other suggestions?

Walk? Bike ride? Cinema? Gym? Language course? Chess game? Squash? Massage therapy? Introduction to acupuncture?

Fcuking anything except the choice is either Xbox and ironing or scoops with workies. Just seems a waste of an evening to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Word has it that the Diageo Gestapo are going to be going around Ireland, dragging people from houses and forcing them to drink

ie: "Personal Responsibility"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You're pretty determined to avoid actually addressing any of my points, aren't you?

I'm not. I'm merely saying you are reading too much meaning into the words being used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Arthur's Day is silly (doesn't bother me that much but I can see where its critics are coming from - plus I'm not in Dublin so there's probably a whole load of arse that I'm lucky enough to be missing out on).
    As a nation, we do have an unhealthy relationship with drink also.

My problem with Christy Moore's complaining though isn't him "telling it as it is", it's his hypocrisy.
    crusher000 wrote: »
    Yes it's a marketing ploy but hay if you have a product and you want to sell what else would you do ?. Lie in a ditch and wait for someone to come along and buy your product ?
    No? It's hardly the case that "Arthur's Day" and lying in a ditch are the only two options available to companies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Because there are positives to everything. Selling crack to schoolchildren would stimulate the local economy. Building a massive incinerator in O'Connell St would create jobs and lower energy costs. Ditto with putting a hundred windturbines in Phoenix Park. Working pensioners to death building motorways will reduce travel times and transit costs for manufacturers

All of these ideas are of course stupid but they all have positives. That doesn't mean that we would/should/could any of them but, if you're only following the logic of revenue streams, then you argue in favour of them

[Irony]Well those ideas would benefit some interests and using the iron logic that so many use "what's in it for me" then they should be actively considered [/irony]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I've no problem with it and I'll probably head out for it myself as it gets a very good turnout of people I know. Only thing I'd say about it is that I don't envy whoever cleans up and they have their work cut out for them in Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

http://indo.ie/p83QZ

Diaego man going to visit A&E on Arthur's day.

Why would be bother. No amount of spin could turn such a visit into a positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

wprathead wrote: »
    Word has it that the Diageo Gestapo are going to be going around Ireland, dragging people from houses and forcing them to drink

ie: "Personal Responsibility"

Will they bring you back home after closing time ?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Will they bring you back home after closing time ?.

After all the money we chucked at Diageo over the years the least they owe us is a taxi home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Stagehands
    Electricians
    Lighting
    Sound Engineers
    Security
    Medical Teams
    Marketing
    Clean up crews
    Portaloos

Air fare
    Accommodations
    Car hire
    etc

I wouldn't really call many of those "jobs" so much as "2 or 3 days of work". And do we really get many people coming in from abroad for this?
    Walk? Bike ride? Cinema? Gym? Language course? Chess game? Squash? Massage therapy? Introduction to acupuncture?

Fcuking anything except the choice is either Xbox and ironing or scoops with workies. Just seems a waste of an evening to me.

Walking sounds like a waste of an evening to me. Ironing ain't gon do itself either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Only thing I'd say about it is that I don't envy whoever cleans up and they have their work cut out for them in Galway.

An Diageo don't pay for the extra street cleaning , Garda resources needed for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

oblivious wrote: »
    An Diageo don't pay for the extra street cleaning , Garda resources needed for the night.

Neither does any other drinks company ? They now have to show social responsibiltiy ?

Maybe Diageo and all the other brewers should assign trained councilors in every establishment in the country to hold peoples hands. If the see them getting typsie tell them to go home. It seems to me everyone in this country is reponsible for all problems except ourselves. Diageo are an international company and oh my god the kneck of them trying to get people to use more of their product. Coca Cola never use marketing tricks. Oh no but they don't dedicate a day in the year. Who cares if Diageo want to set aside a day to celebrate it's foundation, good on them. But again the real issue with drinking and it's problems won't be addressed. Some people can gamble and not loose their house, some people can't. Some people can drink responsibly some can't. Diageo didn't start the problem, alcohol is not the problem. We have to be responsible for ourselves and not keep looking to others to blame

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

ShagNastii wrote: »
    http://indo.ie/p83QZ

Diaego man going to visit A&E on Arthur's day.

Why would be bother. No amount of spin could turn such a visit into a positive.

Which A&E? Even the Beacon has an A&E.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

As a nation, we do have an unhealthy relationship with drink also.

I agreed with your post but this seemed to be written as an aside. This is a huge part of it in my eyes.

I like to drink and I like to be "merry" but I know my own limits (by Irish standards) and am never so drunk that I can't look after myself but I still get a lot more drunk than most of my foreign friends here. My eyes were opened yesterday and I've been having a good, long think about it since.

Yesterday I was flying back to Madrid and there were two fellas from Cork absolutely hammered (one in particular) causing a huge amount of disturbance on the plane. By the end of the flight, they could barely stand and one was blocking the way out for everyone by sitting on the floor. As everyone was leaving the plane, the drunker one grabbed a girl's bum (non Irish.) and she slapped him across the face (I think she slapped him twice, in fact. Whether that was deserved is a debate for another thread.). The two lads probably wouldn't be out of place in Ireland on a Saturday night but on a fecking plane in the middle of the afternoon going to a country of people who can keep their drinking in check, I cringed for them and my country in spite of myself (it has nothing to do with me, I know, but you wouldn't find someone in their state in this country unless they were alcoholics.)

I wasn't all that shocked having seen people like them in their state many times before but I can't imagine what the foreigners thought and for the first time, I saw it through their eyes (I was with my Spanish boyfriend who was stunned).

We drink too much as a nation (and I'm as guilty as anyone) and this "holiday" does nothing to change that.

Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Neither does any other drinks company ? They now have to show social responsibiltiy ?

No one has anything on this scale that's going to use up public resources

Who cares if Diageo want to set aside a day to celebrate it's foundation, good on them.

Of course, but any major event that uses public resources will pay, an example is the used of Garda to secure events

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Where are you getting 30 breweries from.

Beamish/Crawford and Murphy stout is owned by Scottish and Newcastle.

Be over 40 next year ;)

That's Irish owned breweries by the way. I'm not including the foreign corporate giants in this country.

Advertisement