Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Jucer to get?

Options
  • 08-09-2013 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

I just joined gym. I'm eating better and I like the idea of juicing machines. Have blender, but I hear that juicers are much better for nutrition. I have research to do, but some opinions and recommendations would be great. I like the Twin Gear juicers, as they seem to be the best type and all-rounder.

I don't really have a budget in mind tbh. I see juicers can be pricey and I am willing to spend money on the right one, which I expect will last for years and years. I will put out a broad budget of €200-€400, but will spend more if it's justified. Have a wife and4 kids aged from 8 months to 10 years, so the machine will get plenty of use.

Local places to buy would be helpful too, but have no problem shopping online either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

The problem with juicers is you can either take the hit now and spend the cash and get a really decent one ~800 euros which will last forever or you can get a cheaper one and have to replace it in a couple of years. What you get when you spend the money is a juicer that is powerful, durable and easy to clean. The easy to clean is the main one really as cheaper juicers you'll juice for 10 mins and then spend 30 mins trying to clean the thing.

The other risk is you get the juicer, cheap or expensive, use it loads for one month then get fed up with it and it gathers dust in the back of the press.

I recommend "the super angel twin gear", its expensive, easy to clean, you can make nut butters in it as well as juice and more importantly it holds it value so when you get fed up with it you can sell it on for close to purchase price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I recommend "the super angel twin gear", its expensive, easy to clean, you can make nut butters in it as well as juice and more importantly it holds it value so when you get fed up with it you can sell it on for close to purchase price.

Thanks for the recommendation, but it's a tad bit out of my range I think. Plus, the wife would probably run my man parts through it if I spent that much on a juicer. I found it difficult to justify €300, so 1k will be out of the question i'm afraid, even though that juicer looks really nice.

If you're willing to wait they come up frequently on ebay.

If you're willing to wait they come up frequently on ebay.

I assume you mean used ones? I wouldn't mind that at all. There is one on adverts for €200, but he is talking about some type of money back thing via his business. Seems a bit strange all over.

Yeah used alright.

The money back thing is a nigerian scam generally, they send you a check for a larger amount then you refund them and check bounces.

• Advertisement

OK. I am looking at:

Green Star GS1000
    Green Star GS2000
    Green Star GS3000
    Green Star Gold Juicer GP-E1503

I don't want to spend any more money on a juicer, as it's more than I planned spending, but I do want a good quality one. What would be the best one over-all? I am thinking the GS3000, but the Gold one looks a little neater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭innad

I've had a Philips juicer (similar to this one: http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4225427/Trail/searchtext%3EJUICER.htm) since 2009.
    Got it for €99 in the old Philips store. 4 years later and it's still working like new.

It wouldn't be as good as a masticating juicer, but has been more than sufficient for my needs (using it several times daily for probably two of the four years, and weekly the rest of the time). If you've never juiced before I certainly wouldn't recommend spending a lot of money, as amazingemmet said, plenty of juicers are gathering dust somewhere on a shelf.

innad wrote: »
    I've had a Philips juicer (similar to this one: http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4225427/Trail/searchtext%3EJUICER.htm) since 2009.
    Got it for €99 in the old Philips store. 4 years later and it's still working like new.

It wouldn't be as good as a masticating juicer, but has been more than sufficient for my needs (using it several times daily for probably two of the four years, and weekly the rest of the time). If you've never juiced before I certainly wouldn't recommend spending a lot of money, as amazingemmet said, plenty of juicers are gathering dust somewhere on a shelf.

It's a masticating juicer I want. Wheatgrass juicing is a must for the machine too. I have not juiced before, but I know it will get regular use, which is why I don't mind spending so much on my first juicer, but I don't want to go into Angel Juicer territory, which I think is more expensive because it's slightly easier to clean and looks much nicer.

goz83 wrote: »
    It's a masticating juicer I want. Wheatgrass juicing is a must for the machine too. I have not juiced before, but I know it will get regular use, which is why I don't mind spending so much on my first juicer, but I don't want to go into Angel Juicer territory, which I think is more expensive because it's slightly easier to clean and looks much nicer.

Sorry, I obviously misunderstood your post! In that case I'm no help, sorry. My parents have a masticating juicer that's about 20 years old, but it was bought at a trade fair. I have to say though my Philips is a LOT easier to clean! Obviously can't do wheatgrass though.

Sorry, I obviously misunderstood your post! In that case I'm no help, sorry. My parents have a masticating juicer that's about 20 years old, but it was bought at a trade fair. I have to say though my Philips is a LOT easier to clean! Obviously can't do wheatgrass though.

No problem. I don't think I mentioned wheatgrass in my OP, so that was easy to miss. Recommendation appreciated anyway. I just ordered the GreenStar Gold Model. After reading up on them all, I figured it was the best option.

• Advertisement

No problem. I don't think I mentioned wheatgrass in my OP, so that was easy to miss. Recommendation appreciated anyway. I just ordered the GreenStar Gold Model. After reading up on them all, I figured it was the best option.

Let us know how you get on with it! I wouldn't mind upgrading at some stage in the future, although wheatgrass doesn't agree with me so maybe there wouldn't be any point :o

Let us know how you get on with it! I wouldn't mind upgrading at some stage in the future, although wheatgrass doesn't agree with me so maybe there wouldn't be any point :o

I will post up here when I get using it. It seems to do everything. Fruit and Veg, nut butter, Sorbets and ice-cream. Wheatgrass is a big bonus. My brother had a manual one and I have to say I kinda liked the wheat grass when I thought it was going to be yuck. I want to grow it too.

Here is a link to the page I bought from and it has a video to, which is cool. http://www.juiceland.co.uk/item--Green-Star-GOLD-Juicer-GP-E1503--GSGOLD.html

I will post up here when I get using it. It seems to do everything. Fruit and Veg, nut butter, Sorbets and ice-cream. Wheatgrass is a big bonus. My brother had a manual one and I have to say I kinda liked the wheat grass when I thought it was going to be yuck. I want to grow it too.

Here is a link to the page I bought from and it has a video to, which is cool. http://www.juiceland.co.uk/item--Green-Star-GOLD-Juicer-GP-E1503--GSGOLD.html

cool, thanks :)

I actually love the taste of wheatgrass, but it makes me really sick :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

We have one of these. $60 and its lasted for a year now with heavy use. If it broke tomorrow I'd buy another because it owes us nothing.

It is the kind that separates out the pulp though, and supposedly you should get the kind that leaves no waste (er... is that what you mean by "masticator"?), but for starting out I dont care.

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-67650A-Mouth-Extractor/dp/B009RVA2QA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378855428&sr=8-1&keywords=hamilton+beach+juicer

Advertisement