Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

A documentary on the Tunguska Event, right now, on Discovery. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

How many eyes has 4 flies and a geefer?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A documentary on the Tunguska Event, right now, on Discovery. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event
    Did they find Bigfoot ?

Or was it Aliens

It's a mystery how they aren't loosing customers at the rate they are dumbing down

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Did they find Bigfoot ?

Or was it Aliens

It's a mystery how they aren't loosing customers at the rate they are dumbing down

No idea, I have it on mute :D

they seemed pretty animated though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Once again, Cracked serves up the goods in this cool article on some less insane ufo sightings. Glad to see this thread still in action. Still think about the Taman Shud case from time to time because of this thread! OP should add a poll for the best mystery. I think Dyatlov would win hands down though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

The Gnome wrote: »
    The amount of wood that woodchucks would chuck on a given day varies greatly with the individual woodchuck. According to a Wall Street Journal article, New York State wildlife expert Richard Thomas found that a woodchuck could chuck around 35 cubic feet of dirt in the course of digging a burrow. Thomas reasoned that if a woodchuck could chuck wood, he would chuck an amount equal to 700 pounds.
    Very concise answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Titor

On November 2, 2000, a post appeared on the Time Travel Institute forums from a man claiming to have the knowledge of what it would take to make a time machine work. Over time, the posts evolved into an actual claim of time travel from a man calling himself John Titor. Titor declared he was an American soldier from the year 2036 assigned to a governmental time travel project and the posts blew up, establishing quite a following, including the John Titor Institute. What separated Titor's posts from an average crank was his complex detailing of events as well as technology that tended to pull people into the story.

His prediction of a civil war within the US by 2008 as well as the fact that there would be no Olympics after 2004 didn't exactly come to fruition, but Titor also asserted that, "the Everett-Wheeler-Graham (or 'multiple world') theory is correct. All possible quantum states, events, possibilities, and outcomes are real, eventual, and occurring. The chances of everything happening someplace at sometime in the superverse is 100%."

So it's actually impossible to prove that any of his predictions are incorrect because we could simply be living in a universe parallel to his.

In March 2001, the Titor posts stopped, never to pop up again because that's when John went back to his own time...supposedly. Check out johntitor.com for more information and see why it's been said that the craziness presented can make a sane man believe the insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I loved the website www.8march2003.com back in the day, really roped a lot of people in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Still think about the Taman Shud case from time to time because of this thread!

I don't actually find the Taman Shud case that compelling. People go missing and are found unidentified all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

http://thebeatlesneverbrokeup.com/

Not an unsolved mystery, more of an elaborate hoax to peddle some guys beatles mashup cd.
    Apparently he obtained this cd of unreleased beatles material by travelling to another dimension where they never broke up and are all still alive today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

hefferboi wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Titor

On November 2, 2000, a post appeared on the Time Travel Institute forums from a man claiming to have the knowledge of what it would take to make a time machine work. Over time, the posts evolved into an actual claim of time travel from a man calling himself John Titor. Titor declared he was an American soldier from the year 2036 assigned to a governmental time travel project and the posts blew up, establishing quite a following, including the John Titor Institute. What separated Titor's posts from an average crank was his complex detailing of events as well as technology that tended to pull people into the story.

His prediction of a civil war within the US by 2008 as well as the fact that there would be no Olympics after 2004 didn't exactly come to fruition, but Titor also asserted that, "the Everett-Wheeler-Graham (or 'multiple world') theory is correct. All possible quantum states, events, possibilities, and outcomes are real, eventual, and occurring. The chances of everything happening someplace at sometime in the superverse is 100%."

So it's actually impossible to prove that any of his predictions are incorrect because we could simply be living in a universe parallel to his.

In March 2001, the Titor posts stopped, never to pop up again because that's when John went back to his own time...supposedly. Check out johntitor.com for more information and see why it's been said that the craziness presented can make a sane man believe the insane.

China is destroyed, so it's not all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

retalivity wrote: »
    http://thebeatlesneverbrokeup.com/

Not an unsolved mystery, more of an elaborate hoax to peddle some guys beatles mashup cd.
    Apparently he obtained this cd of unreleased beatles material by travelling to another dimension where they never broke up and are all still alive today.

:D I actually put that up a few months ago on this thread, great story the cd sounds pretty convincing!
    Sea Filly wrote: »
    I don't actually find the Taman Shud case that compelling. People go missing and are found unidentified all the time.

Maybe it's that photo then. When people go missing they are generally never seen again or turn up dead though, this is not a run-of-the mill suicide... This guy is unidentifiable, there was the note in the concealed pocket, the weird suitcase, the rare Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám, the undeciphered code, the possibility of an affair or him being a spy. The weirdest thing for me is what he was doing the night before on the beach in the exact position where he died:
    A couple who saw him around 7 p.m. noted that they saw him extend his right arm to its fullest extent and then drop it limply. Another couple who saw him from 7:30 p.m. to 8 p.m., during which time the street lights had come on, recounted that they did not see him move during the half an hour in which he was in view of them

So you've got this stranger, possible spy with an array of objects and weird people linked to him, and the night he died he stood still for an hour on this small town beach, outstretching his arm.....why!!!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

I love this thread, thank you OP, mine is not a mystery, but a fact no one knows how many calories are in a McMuffinSasauge Meal, and it because of that very tastie (yum) Mc Sasauge thingy, Flat Sasages **if someone could spell that word it would be thanked from the heavens** aren't real, even Mcdonalds have no idea what is in them, Oh but how I crave them (I know take up smoking again) What time does McDonalds open for breakfast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

OK I will say it

How come women can put a duvet cover on in such a simple movement

While us men usually get tied up and inside the damn thing.

Jus,,t just,, why can't us men put a duvet cover on.

If anyone know the answer, lay off the quantum physics, and tell me in plain english.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

Colmustard wrote: »
    OK I will say it

How come women can put a duvet cover on in such a simple movement

While us men usually get tied up and inside the damn thing.

Jus,,t just,, why can't us men put a duvet cover on.

If anyone know the answer, lay off the quantum physics, and tell me in plain english.

The answer is there loke for it my friend,

It's actually in the life hacks thread, some guys though are blind to see it, in its awesomeness:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

The Copper Scroll
    The Copper Scroll (3Q15) is one of the Dead Sea Scrolls found in Cave 3 near Khirbet Qumran, but differs significantly from the others. Whereas the other scrolls are written on parchment or papyrus, this scroll is written on metal: copper mixed with about 1 percent tin. Unlike the others, it is not a literary work, but a list of locations at which various items of gold and silver are buried or hidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

one mystery that remains unsolved is

who vandalised the blue peter garden all them years ago??

i bet it was the irish they're oh so rough

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Sailing Stones

Jumbo sized rocks seemingly moving of their own will and defying physics in Death Valley California

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

fryup wrote: »
    one mystery that remains unsolved is

who vandalised the blue peter garden all them years ago??

i bet it was the irish they're oh so rough

Nope it was Les Ferdinand and his mates.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Yellow121

Has anyone mentioned the Taman Shud Case?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taman_Shud_Case

Yellow121 wrote: »
    Has anyone mentioned the Taman Shud Case?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taman_Shud_Case

Its a long thread so its hard to remember Yellow. I think it was. Its also my favourite AH thread, so many great stories ;)

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Its a long thread so it hard to remember Yellow. I think it was. Its also my favourite AH thread, so many great stories ;)

Well I wont be going through every page so we'll say no one posted it. :)
    I loved that program unsolved mysteries except that they never solved the mysteries. You know what I mean? I love the mystery part but I'm really frustrated because I don't know how it finished.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Roswell & Area 51.....

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

Yellow121 wrote: »
    Well I wont be going through every page so we'll say no one posted it. :)
    I loved that program unsolved mysteries except that they never solved the mysteries. You know what I mean? I love the mystery part but I'm really frustrated because I don't know how it finished.

Lol so true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Post #30 on first page Yellow, no excuse! :pac:

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    Post #30 on first page Yellow, no excuse! :pac:

I only have 15 posts per page so it was all the way on page 2, so you can see how I missed it. *red face*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Andrewf20 wrote: »

One of the great mysteries of the JFK conspiracy. She was off'd by the CIA or FBI imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

More here:

http://listverse.com/2009/07/03/10-more-mysteries-that-remain-unsolved/

No.8 reminds me of a fire ball I saw streaking through the sky one sunny afternoon around 16:45 in Arklow, back in the summer of 2001. It was miles away and there was no noise as it came ripping through the sky near the horizon in the Avoca direction. I was cycling home on my bike after work. It must have been a meteorite. I checked the news that eve and asked in work the following day but no one else heard anything of it.

Advertisement