Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

­

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

This story from the Daily Mail (I know...) seems like it should go in this thread. Make of it what you will!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2386627/The-riddle-angel-priest-Holy-man-appeared-pray-trapped-girl-rescuers-traffic-accident-told-OK-vanished.html

Not to jump to conclusions, but this sounds eerily familiar. Sure the 'priest' didn't look anything like this?

http://travelingthevortex.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/2005_christopher-eccleston.jpg

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

ivytwine wrote: »
    Not to jump to conclusions, but this sounds eerily familiar. Sure the 'priest' didn't look anything like this?

http://travelingthevortex.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/2005_christopher-eccleston.jpg

:D

Not a fan of the good Doctor, so I dunno!

Could have a very simple explanation. Priests happen to turn up at accidents and he could have simply left again without anyone noticing. The whole "we were then able to save her" is very ropey. The story explains that better cutting equipment arrived on the the scene.

Weave a few simple facts together and you've got a spooky story!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Weave a few simple facts together and you've got a spooky story!

This is it exactly! Much as l love creepy stories, 99.9% of the time there's a rational explanation :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

A spooky one just this morning.

I have a friend and her little boy staying this weekend with me. I was up early with the little one and asked what he wanted for breakfast. He said Weetabix with warm milk and sugar. I prepared the Weetabix and milk and was looking for the sugar. I don't normally have sugar in the house but had bought a small pack specifically.

Anyway, my kitchen is very small (live in a duplex) and as it is only me in it, there is not a lot of food. I looked in the cupboards and could not find the sugar. It simply wasn't there as there is not much food and a pack of it would be hard to miss. The little boy helped me look. He said he couldn't eat the Weetabix without sugar so I put toast on.

I put the toast on, watched a bit of tv and when I turned back around to butter the toast, I saw right next to the Weetabix box was the pack of sugar. I almost jumped out of my skin. There is no way I could have missed it. I called the child over and asked was that there before, he looked scared and said no.

Feel a bit odd about it.

I think he was having you on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

sorry didn't spot it :P

Yeah, you just pretend like
    1,445 Replies 325,134 Views 268 Thanks

"Sorry I didn't spot it" is just code for "I couldn't be bothered reading the thread before sharing my urban legend!"

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Christ the Redeemer

Woke up when I was ten, there was a large dark figure looking in the window with red eyes, just staring at me. I **** balls hid under my blanket and went back to sleep.

now, I know now that I wasn't actually awake, it was sleep paralysis, but at the time, I **** myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

My central heating turned on by itself last night. The knob that you turn to switch it on was in the off position, but the electronic display was showing that the radiators were on. Have no idea what happened, only that it could have been an electrical fault, we were in the middle of a thunder storm. That's the only rational explanation I have!
    Had a similar experience during thunderstorms when I was younger.During one while on holidays with my family staying in a caravan on the side of a mountain, there was a fairly bad storm,there'd be a flash of lightning instantly followed by a deafening clap of thunder and all the lights started flickering on and off even though they were switched off. During another thunderstorm my brother had a teddy bear that you squeezed and it would talk that started going by itself,scared the crap out of us hearing "Mama" coming from the shelf that the teddy was sitting on at the other side of the room in the middle of the night!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

I have a story,

not as good as the others but something

Me and a friend went ou for a drive one night (2 young lads, 2 cars full) heading for a haunted castle

We decided to go to an abandoned shipyard, while driving out it was a single car country road and we were on it with noting in front or behind, all of a sudden I was driving along and out of no where full beams of a kinf of pick up truck lit up behind me, as if they drove up behind me with lights off in the dark, I began to drive faster and faster to get away from it and they didnt budge, when i increased speed so did they, i really began to freak out and the people in the car began texting the car in front to have a number for the guards ready, so anyways we sped to the abandoned shipyard and this pickup truck turned a quick left as we came into it, down into a hedge lane with no house

as soon as they turned we sped off away from the shipyard, same thing happened on the way out, only this time there was a second car, which looked like one of the very first VW Golfs, we got out onto the main road and these two cars were still following us and overtaking us trying to slow us down as they would jam on the brakes when they over took us

I eventually looked into one of the cars as it was passing me and there were 2 lads and one had a baseball bat

Never been so scared in my life, kept driving, kinda forget the drive home out of relief that my skull wasnt cracked with that bat

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

ghogie91 wrote: »
    I have a story,

not as good as the others but something

Me and a friend went ou for a drive one night (2 young lads, 2 cars full) heading for a haunted castle

We decided to go to an abandoned shipyard, while driving out it was a single car country road and we were on it with noting in front or behind, all of a sudden I was driving along and out of no where full beams of a kinf of pick up truck lit up behind me, as if they drove up behind me with lights off in the dark, I began to drive faster and faster to get away from it and they didnt budge, when i increased speed so did they, i really began to freak out and the people in the car began texting the car in front to have a number for the guards ready, so anyways we sped to the abandoned shipyard and this pickup truck turned a quick left as we came into it, down into a hedge lane with no house

as soon as they turned we sped off away from the shipyard, same thing happened on the way out, only this time there was a second car, which looked like one of the very first VW Golfs, we got out onto the main road and these two cars were still following us and overtaking us trying to slow us down as they would jam on the brakes when they over took us

I eventually looked into one of the cars as it was passing me and there were 2 lads and one had a baseball bat

Never been so scared in my life, kept driving, kinda forget the drive home out of relief that my skull wasnt cracked with that bat

There was prob a "deal" going down and ye stumbled in on their turf( so to speak) .biggest question though how does a journey planned for a haunted castle end up in an abandoned ship yard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Janedoe10 wrote: »
    There was prob a "deal" going down and ye stumbled in on their turf( so to speak).
    Those Donedeal sellers have been getting really aggressive lately...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

I haven't had anything really creepy happen to me (apart from posters falling down in the middle of the night). I've had family members swear they saw a dead relative warning them to look after me otherwise something bad would happen. I'm pretty cynical though.

Anyway, thought this reddit page was creepy
    Some very sad stories in there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Janedoe10 wrote: »
    There was prob a "deal" going down and ye stumbled in on their turf( so to speak) .biggest question though how does a journey planned for a haunted castle end up in an abandoned ship yard?

Just was along the route

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

wyrn wrote: »
    Anyway, thought this reddit page was creepy
    Some very sad stories in there
    Was just reading that.

It's the not knowing that gets me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Hagar the Nice.

Woke up when I was ten, there was a large dark figure looking in the window with red eyes, just staring at me. I **** balls hid under my blanket and went back to sleep.

now, I know now that I wasn't actually awake, it was sleep paralysis, but at the time, I **** myself.
    Re sleep paralysis,my grandad,(I was brought up by my grandparents) had died when I was 25 years old,a few years later I was sleeping in bed and felt really cold,I woke up to shove on the electric blanket when I saw the figure of my grandad at the bottom of the bed,his face was distorted and I could see bones under his skin,I honestly was terrified and I could not move.
    Eventually I managed to shove the bedclothes over my head,heart pounding like mad,cold,not any more I wasn't.
    Talk about being scared,I got up and made some tea,got to sleep 3 hours later,I never told anyone about it for at least 10 years in case they thought I was crazy.

This sleep paralysis must be the cause of so much "paranormal activity" over the years.

I've experienced it a handful of times but it's never been associated with seeing anything (thankfully), just being awake but frozen and unable to speak (or scream, which is what I was trying to do).

This sleep paralysis must be the cause of so much "paranormal activity" over the years.

I've experienced it a handful of times but it's never been associated with seeing anything (thankfully), just being awake but frozen and unable to speak (or scream, which is what I was trying to do).
    Sometimes I wonder if its down to the lifestyle of a person possibly,could well be wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

I think your right, It explains why nobody sees ghosts during the day and why none have every been caught on flim.

Sometimes I wonder if its down to the lifestyle of a person possibly,could well be wrong though.

I think that could be a factor. I used to get it on a weekly basis when I was young but never get it anymore so I put it down to a developing brain or changes in the brain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Devi wrote: »
    I think your right, It explains why nobody sees ghosts during the day and why none have every been caught on flim.

Plenty of "ghosts" caught on camera some explainable some not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I've only had sleep paralysis once, when I was younger and only after reading this thread, did I realize that that was what it probably was.
    I had thought I had woken up when the blankets started knotting up and began to tower above me in a strange design. It rose higher and higher. It felt menacing and smothering, as if it was being controlled by something evil. I was terrified, still lying in my bed. It continued to grow and knot and surround me until it nearly consumed my senses and it was just before I started to completely panic, that I woke up properly. Unfortunately, I didn't realise straight away that I had woken up, I just got back the ability to move so I pounced on the duvet and pinned it down, still sobbing. My crying had woken up my mother so I was like this when she walked in. It was only when she turned on the light (t'was only a minute or two after I had properly woken up) that I realized I had been dreaming. I was only 10 or 11 at the time but I still remember it quite vividly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Best At Doing Wheelies

This is true, use to get it on the regular after staying up doing yokes for 3 days straight on the weekend. Friends reported it too. Body's asleep but the minds still going 90

Plenty of "ghosts" caught on camera some explainable some not.

Well I’ve never seen one that has convinced me that there are ghosts flying about and even if there are not explainable doesn’t mean they're ghosts. If you have one in mind though id love to see it.

Devi wrote: »
    Well I’ve never seen one that has convinced me that there are ghosts flying about and even if there are not explainable doesn’t mean there ghosts. If you have one in mind though id love to see it.

Saw this article last week,http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/ghostbusters-called-gretna-greens-famous-2138023

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Was that supposed to convince him that there are ghost flying around? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

lots of things though I learned not to talk about them for fear of being ridiculed, in fact I spent many years building a wall and repressing my feelings in an effort to deny my emotions any say in the matter. Thanks boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Why did I open this thread before I had to go to sleep?

When I got them in the past they tended to happen when I was sleeping in a strange place - often eg napping on a sofa, rather than in my own bed.

Night terrors, then, that's a different thing. I know a person who gets these. Often (one a week or more) would wake up convinced there were spiders or insects in the room crawling all over. They wake up screaming, then realise what it is and go back to bed. If it doesn't happen in the first hour or so of sleep it won't happen for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Night terrors, then, that's a different thing. I know a person who gets these. Often (one a week or more) would wake up convinced there were spiders or insects in the room crawling all over. They wake up screaming, then realise what it is and go back to bed. If it doesn't happen in the first hour or so of sleep it won't happen for them.
    That used to happen to me quite regularly! :(

I'd wake up convinced that there was a spider or something crawling on me and I would throw myself out of bed and turn the light on. I'd be pulling the bed apart when I'd realise that it must have been a dream. :o

• Advertisement

That’s not very convincing though is it. Don’t get me wrong spooky things have happened to me that I can’t explain but that doesn’t mean there isn’t a logical explanation for it.

I’d love to see real evidence of ghosts because that could mean there is existence for us after death and I would again get to see people I have lost over the years, but as I get older I realise more and more that when you die you're most likely gone forever.

Advertisement