Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Hslaw wrote: »
    im not underestimating Antrim at all. while they are by far the biggest outsiders according to the bookies. they could pull of a shocker.
    and really we shouldn't be in this position we should be Munsterwere sserious team champions. but blew it.

i dunno what is going on with our minors.this is possibly the best minor team we have had in a few years. so i would be expecting us to win this game. im not looking beyond this Sunday.

I agree with what u say but the clubs seem to be a different animal up there. Its all about the club and there dosent seem to be the same pride and passion representing the county. Loughiel won the AI Ireland club last year yet none of their best players were on the Antrim team this year. Im not writing them off either and had some very convincing wins in the Ulster championship but in reality they dont compete at tony forrestal and havent been competitive at U15 u16 etc so youd have to think we'll be at a different level.
    Always have a soft spot for antrim though like to see them do well. Some real genuine hurling people up there and really admire them for keeping the tradition going the way they do.
    Hope it dosent work out for them this weekend tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

robopaddy wrote: »
    I agree with what u say but the clubs seem to be a different animal up there. Its all about the club and there dosent seem to be the same pride and passion representing the county. Loughiel won the AI Ireland club last year yet none of their best players were on the Antrim team this year. Im not writing them off either and had some very convincing wins in the Ulster championship but in reality they dont compete at tony forrestal and havent been competitive at U15 u16 etc so youd have to think we'll be at a different level.
    Always have a soft spot for antrim though like to see them do well. Some real genuine hurling people up there and really admire them for keeping the tradition going the way they do.
    Hope it dosent work out for them this weekend tho!

Yeah Kevin Ryan has been totally undermined by players making themselves unavailable to the county team so far during this time up there. The likes of Watson for Loughiel would totally change their team, and he'd walk onto the Waterford team as well, but won't play for Antrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Cake Man

hardybuck wrote: »
    Yeah Kevin Ryan has been totally undermined by players making themselves unavailable to the county team so far during this time up there. The likes of Watson for Loughiel would totally change their team, and he'd walk onto the Waterford team as well, but won't play for Antrim.

Any idea why? Has he just called it a day? He's an excellent player and would get a game for most intercounty teams.

Would agree with robopaddy above though, we should have too much for them as they haven't been up to much underage in the last few years. Disappointing as they seemed equipped a few years ago to push on as they reached a few AI 1/4's but they seem to have regressed a lot since then and are struggling to beat the likes of Laois, Carlow etc. Like seeing them doing well though, they're the only county really flying the flag for hurling in the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Cake Man wrote: »
    Any idea why? Has he just called it a day? He's an excellent player and would get a game for most intercounty teams.

I've no idea. I think I remember him coming out and saying he was too committed to Loughiel, and I think they've other lads who aren't playing with the county either. There is obviously something bigger going on behind the scenes, but I'm not aware of what it is.

hardybuck wrote: »
    I've no idea. I think I remember him coming out and saying he was too committed to Loughiel, and I think they've other lads who aren't playing with the county either. There is obviously something bigger going on behind the scenes, but I'm not aware of what it is.

Yea its hard to grasp, Watson is one of the best forwards in the game on his day, we could have done with the likes of him ourselves up in Thurles against Kilkenny and I know the Scullion's are top players who dont bother playing with the county either. Like I say the club is a huge thing up there, its their life. There just isnt the same honour in representing the county as there would be down this side of the country a lot of them just see it as a bit of a novelty more than anything else. maybe its just because traditionally they are so isolated from the rest of the hurling world and disillusionment set in a long time ago. There dosent seem to be any improvement since they went into Leinster either.

I felt sorry for Kevin Ryan when he went up there hes travelling 5/600 mile round trips 3/4 times a week only to find some players couldnt even be bothered to make the journey of a few miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭blue note

Cake Man wrote: »
    He's an excellent player and would get a game for most intercounty teams.

Don't kid yourself, he'd get a game for any intercounty team! If he was from Waterford, he'd have an all star or two at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

blue note wrote: »
    Don't kid yourself, he'd get a game for any intercounty team! If he was from Waterford, he'd have an all star or two at this stage.

There was time when a comment like that would read "If he was from anywhere other than Waterford, he'd have an all star or two at this stage". Progress of a kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Minor team for game V Antrim on Sunday in Ashbourne;

1. Gavin Power – Dungarvan
    2. William Hahessy – Clonea
    3. Kevin Daly – Dungarvan CAPTAIN
    4. Cian Leamy – Ballyduff Upper
    5. Sam O'Neill - Erin's Own
    6. Austin Gleeson – Mount Sion
    7. Shane Bennett –... Ballysaggart
    8. Mark O'Brien - Ferrybank
    9. Micheal Harney – Bonmahon
    10. Paul O'Connor - Clashmore Kinsalebeg
    11. Cormac Curran - Brickey Rangers
    12. DJ Foran – Portlaw
    13. Patrick Curran – Dungarvan
    14. Stephen Bennett – Ballysaggart
    15. Michael Kearney – Ballyduff Upper

Four changes from replay against Limerick with Tom Devine, Conor Gleeson, Adam Farrell and Colm Roche missing out this time.

You would have to be confident of a victory given Antrim's recent performances at this level but full concentration is needed, as we have already seen that this panel can be a bit Jekyll and Hyde. Would expect a good win with Foran, Stephen Bennett and Patrick Curran likely to be among the goals.

doz wrote: »
    Minor team for game V Antrim on Sunday in Ashbourne;

1. Gavin Power – Dungarvan
    2. William Hahessy – Clonea
    3. Kevin Daly – Dungarvan CAPTAIN
    4. Cian Leamy – Ballyduff Upper
    5. Sam O'Neill - Erin's Own
    6. Austin Gleeson – Mount Sion
    7. Shane Bennett –... Ballysaggart
    8. Mark O'Brien - Ferrybank
    9. Micheal Harney – Bonmahon
    10. Paul O'Connor - Clashmore Kinsalebeg
    11. Cormac Curran - Brickey Rangers
    12. DJ Foran – Portlaw
    13. Patrick Curran – Dungarvan
    14. Stephen Bennett – Ballysaggart
    15. Michael Kearney – Ballyduff Upper

Four changes from replay against Limerick with Tom Devine, Conor Gleeson, Adam Farrell and Colm Roche missing out this time.

You would have to be confident of a victory given Antrim's recent performances at this level but full concentration is needed, as we have already seen that this panel can be a bit Jekyll and Hyde. Would expect a good win with Foran, Stephen Bennett and Patrick Curran likely to be among the goals.

Is colm roche still injured? Only 3 senior clubs represented thats mad

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Roche will be a big loss. Should still have enough though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

what time is throw in lads will it be live on WLR ?

Electric Ireland All Ireland Quarter Final
    Waterford 1-4. Patk Curran goal!!
    Antrim 0-3
    14 Mins

Electric Ireland All Ireland Quarter Final
    Waterford 1-7 Micheal Harney
    Antrim 0-3

1-11 to 0-4 up at the break. Good lead built up, hopefully we can drive it on further now.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Whos playing well?

Waterford 2-16 Mikey Kearney
    Antrim 0-8

4-20 to 1-9 with 5 mins to go, two goals each from Paddy Curran and Stephen Bennett.

Great way to warm up for a semi final, plenty of scores and there will be fierce competition for places for the semi final after the changes made today.

Looks like ourselves and KK will be curtain raising for Cork and Dublin, what a turn for the books!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Looks like kilkenny are gone for 2013. Delighted. Who'll win Liam now?

looks like we wont have to worry about there senior team playing same day as there minors lol

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

alllcounty wrote: »
    Looks like kilkenny are gone for 2013. Delighted. Who'll win Liam now?

Mullane picked some bad year to retire.

• Advertisement

A very serious neck injury sustained by an Antrim player in a collision with one of his own players has led to the ref calling a halt to the game at 4-20 to 1-09. Hopefully it is not as serious as it appears and he makes a speedy recovery.

Mullane picked some bad year to retire.

its done nothing we can do about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

its done nothing we can do about it now.

Time machine?

Apparently Croke Park will be meeting tomorrow to officially award the game to Waterford given that it was called off early. I assume that there is no question of this being replayed, would be an embarrassing decision given the scoreline at the time.

doz wrote: »
    A very serious neck injury sustained by an Antrim player in a collision with one of his own players has led to the ref calling a halt to the game at 4-20 to 1-09. Hopefully it is not as serious as it appears and he makes a speedy recovery.

jesus. i hope the lad is okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Hope the lad is alright.

I wouldn't even be slightly worried of a replay, there was less than 5 minutes left and we were 20 points up. Wouldn't be fair on either team to ask for a replay, especially with the Semi final only two weeks away.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Ballyvoile Boy

Hope the youngster from Antrim will be ok. Common sense would indicate that Waterford will be awarded the result tomorrow.

On another note, all of the remaining teams in the All-Ireland senior hurling championship have played in division 1B this year or last year and the fourth team will be there next year.

It seems 1B is the place 2B ha?

Stephen bennett has scored 9 goals so far in this years minor hurling championship. Never heard of anything like that at this level. Not bad for lad who had a double hip operation in january

• Advertisement

In fairness to Stephen he has put in savage work to get himself back in shape after his injuries. Love watching him play, he really has an eye for goal.

If only the senior team had an equivalent of him, Paddy Curran and Austin Gleeson to fill numbers 11, 13 and 14 for the seniors!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement