Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating the leaving

Options
  • 21-07-2013 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi lads,

First time posting in boards so if I got the wrong forum please do let me know. So here is what I wanna do.

Basically I want to repeat the leaving. Im 27 and I have two kids and I live in Tipperary

I will be applying to study medicine (Had twins when i was 19 so had to put the hold on that).

I need to sit Biology and / or physics or chemistry for it so I guess my questions are the following:
    1. Can I repeat the leaving Cert from any school?
    2. Does anyone know of anyway to study it part time in either Cork, Tipperary, Waterford or Kilkenny?
    3. If not, Kilroys College do something like it. Would it be worth perhaps signing up for that - http://www.kilroyscollege.ie/course.php?courseid=58&sec=1

Basically what I am looking for is a method to repeat the leaving Cert part time and sit the above exams. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Hi, this thread may be useful to you http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056034635
    Best of luck with it, fair play to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 TippHead

Thanks Dee I will look into all that. Just hope the age doesnt affect anything. Thank you very much for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

TippHead wrote: »
    Hi lads,

First time posting in boards so if I got the wrong forum please do let me know. So here is what I wanna do.

Basically I want to repeat the leaving. Im 27 and I have two kids and I live in Tipperary

I will be applying to study medicine (Had twins when i was 19 so had to put the hold on that).

I need to sit Biology and / or physics or chemistry for it so I guess my questions are the following:
    1. Can I repeat the leaving Cert from any school?
    2. Does anyone know of anyway to study it part time in either Cork, Tipperary, Waterford or Kilkenny?
    3. If not, Kilroys College do something like it. Would it be worth perhaps signing up for that - http://www.kilroyscollege.ie/course.php?courseid=58&sec=1

Basically what I am looking for is a method to repeat the leaving Cert part time and sit the above exams. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi , i know you will look in the other thread it will be useful and i can't really help as i'm in dublin but if you have any specific questions,go ahead. i just repeated this year and i just want to say that age does not matter!Its never too late in my opinion and when i repeated many were older and they were treated like anyone else , we didn't really notice :)

Hi Aim,

I prob do have a few questions. If you dont know the answer to them thats perfectly ok.

So basically I am wondering if its best to repeat the whole leaving cert or just the subjects I need? As there is only 4 mature student places on the course I want to do I guess I need a way to stand out and my leaving cert when I was younger was not the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭shawki

Not entirely sure but I think matures applying for medicine may have to do the Hpat aswell

• Advertisement

Yup Shawki your right, it needs to be taken too. Between the exams itself, study and finances at my age it can get difficult to do em all Id say

I repeated mine in cork full time which mightn't suit you

Biology is a great subject, if you studied it before you'd be surprised how much can come back to ya once you start studying.

Are you planning on applying as a leaving cert aswell?

To be honest shawki im really not sure what would be the best option

So i have the option to apply as the leaving cert but ill need to pick the full thing up again and do all 6 subjects wouldnt i? Rather than just biology, chemistry and or physics. Although there may be a better chance if i did it that way. Any recommendations?

TippHead wrote: »
    To be honest shawki im really not sure what would be the best option

So i have the option to apply as the leaving cert but ill need to pick the full thing up again and do all 6 subjects wouldnt i? Rather than just biology, chemistry and or physics. Although there may be a better chance if i did it that way. Any recommendations?

You can apply both ways through the CAO. The mature places are decided before the leaving cert results comes out so while the leaving cert is a great step you won't have a lot to show at your interview

As regards subjects once you've met the minimum grade required for that subject you don't need to repeat it again (ie English) So providing you've passed all the basic subjects you can pick any 6 that you want

For kilroys I don't know how good they would be, I don't think you would need them for every subject. If you read through the leaving cert thread you'll find some good recommendations on books

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

for medicine matriculation must be obtained in one sitting!

so unfortunately you will have to do irish english maths and your choosen language aswell when repeating!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Contact your local ETB (was VEC) Adult Education Officer for information on your options.

Tipp South

Tipp North

Advertisement