Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guide to Premiership Football on satellite

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Would like this one not to be true

@ADP1113: Alex Ferguson will be a part of the new studio for the EPL, Al Jazeera are deleting all previous channels & introducing 13 new HD ones (2/2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Al Jazeera Sports won exclusive rights to broadcast English Premier League matches, one of the leading global football tournaments, starting from next season and over three seasons in the Middle East and North Africa.

Based on the said agreement, the Al Jazeera Sports channels will be owner of the exclusive right to broadcast all Premier League matches across all media and its arguments, including television and the Internet and mobile phones in twenty-three countries.

On this occasion, Director General of Al Jazeera Sports channels Mr. Nasser Al-Khulaifi pleased to reach this agreement, which again raises expectations casual spherical product of the first class.

So I reckon that it might be on Badr 26 but not on Hotbird 13

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I'm sure I done a blind scan yesterday on hotbird and got 13 bein sports channels? ill have to check later

snaps wrote: »
    I'm sure I done a blind scan yesterday on hotbird and got 13 bein sports channels? ill have to check later

Isnt there a French sports channel called bein?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Isnt there a French sports channel called bein?

there is, I just checked and it was 19.2 east there is 12 bein sport channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Might want to edit your previous post there snaps as if read in isolation it's excitingly misleading!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Did I just read that they have global rights !

Must be a mistake or an awfully big one by the PL :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Middle East and North Africa.

glic83 wrote: »
    Middle East and North Africa.

I would have thought it was MENA. Several newswires reporting it as global!

MENA = 7W. I wouldn't think that even BADR 4 will be a runner.

And it will be curious to see whether the PL's earlier proprietary box is being enforced...(7w would be the trade off I would imagine)

• Advertisement

STB wrote: »
    I would have thought it was MENA. Several newswires reporting it as global!

MENA = 7W. I wouldn't think that even BADR 4 will be a runner.

And it will be curious to see whether the PL's earlier proprietary box is being enforced...

Surely Al Jazeera will resist this. From their point of view it would argue that it would inconvenience and potentially cost it subscribers? I'd be ok (ish...) with the propriety box but I think EPL dictating satellite being used is a step too far.

Nelbert wrote: »
    Surely Al Jazeera will resist this. From their point of view it would argue that it would inconvenience and potentially cost it subscribers? I'd be ok (ish...) with the propriety box but I think EPL dictating satellite being used is a step too far.

Thats why I think 7W will be the trade off. Cant be received in Ireland and UK without a NASA sized satellite dish.

Thats why I think 7W will be the trade off. Cant be received in Ireland and UK without a NASA sized satellite dish.

But then they argue about the expense of subscribers switching sat positions as all their 13e subscribers need to adjust dishes etc.

Will be interesting to see the outcome.... Come on 13e with no proprietary box! (Hopeless optimist!)

But then they argue about the expense of subscribers switching sat positions as all their 13e subscribers need to adjust dishes etc.

Will be interesting to see the outcome.... Come on 13e with no proprietary box! (Hopeless optimist!)

13A on 13East is a wide beam satellite, not MENA focussed which is 7.3W.

I think you are expecting tooooo much. The STG 2.3bn that Sky are paying dictates as much (plus BT's £738m).

13A on 13East is a wide beam satellite, not MENA focussed which is 7.3W.

I think you are expecting tooooo much. The STG 2.3bn that Sky are paying dictates as much (plus BT's £738m).

Very true. Lets hope the oil money negotiators had a decent grasp of what 13east is worth to them and fight for it if they had to!

Are Sky the primary satellite provider that enforce proprietary boxes to use their service? Most european providers seem to work with standard boxes and cams?

Very true. Lets hope the oil money negotiators had a decent grasp of what 13east is worth to them and fight for it if they had to!

Are Sky the primary satellite provider that enforce proprietary boxes to use their service? Most european providers seem to work with standard boxes and cams?

Sky UK, Sky Italia, Sky Deutschland, Fox. All the Murdoch pay stations. Proprietary boxes using NDS encryption (which in turn is owned to a large extent by Murdoch). The software of the boxes is largely Mediahighway - 200million set top boxes have it across the world. No prizes for guessing who own Mediahighway.

Gradually the days of using Murdoch sub cards outside proprietary boxes is gone. By October this year it is Sky's plan to marry all HD/premium content cards to their respective HD boxes in Uk & Ireland. End of third party boxes (largely due to high amount of illegal cardsharing servers).

Sky UK, Sky Italia, Sky Deutschland, Fox. All the Murdoch pay stations. Proprietary boxes using NDS encryption (which in turn is owned to a large extent by Murdoch). The software of the boxes is largely Mediahighway - 200million set top boxes have it across the world. No prizes for guessing who own Mediahighway.

Gradually the days of using Murdoch sub cards outside proprietary boxes is gone. By October this year it is Sky's plan to marry all HD/premium content cards to their respective HD boxes in Uk & Ireland. End of third party boxes (largely due to high amount of illegal cardsharing servers).

I'd be happy to buy a Sky proprietary CAM if necessary to put in a CI slot and I think in terms of open competition this would be better for satellite reciever suppliers and consumers. Sky won't do this ever unless they are forced to though.

Give consumers legitimate ways to get better solutions essentially. While Sky's on demand etc. is going in the right direction HTPC will beat it all ends up for features.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,853 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im unsure which provider will be the best for value this forthcoming season?

Most of their subscribers are on 26 rather than 13 - there main focus is the Middle East and North Africa, not Europe. And most people in the MENA watch the free stations on 26, eg MBC, Dubai, Saudi, Lebanese MTV etc And prior to the last world cup when Al Jazeera introduced all the extra sports stations, the cost of subscribing was no more than a few euro a month if I remember right.

Headshot wrote: »

Is it not Cyfra from Poland?

• Advertisement

iba wrote: »
    Is it not Cyfra from Poland?

or NC+ as its called these days (owned by Canal+, TVN and UPC)

No matter what platforms AL Jazeera were using EPL rights will restrict their coverage.

I would be surprised if 7W and/or 26E (badr 6) is not the new home to Al Jazeera for the EPL given its the MENA satellite.

Which probably makes NC+ the only alternative in town. Polish commentary though.

I would wait and see as the conditions of all will be out fairly soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

Would sky italia not be considered a decent sub

Doodoo wrote: »
    Would sky italia not be considered a decent sub

Look on a thread about NC+ (Cyfra) - started by GBCullen - im sure the answers about the cheapest will be there

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭denis1501

Here in Italy right now it's possible to get Sky Italia with Calcio included for 19 euros a month for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

iba wrote: »
    Most of their subscribers are on 26 rather than 13 - there main focus is the Middle East and North Africa, not Europe. And most people in the MENA watch the free stations on 26, eg MBC, Dubai, Saudi, Lebanese MTV etc And prior to the last world cup when Al Jazeera introduced all the extra sports stations, the cost of subscribing was no more than a few euro a month if I remember right.
    Is there a 'footprint' map somewhere that shows whats achievable for Badr or Nilesat? Not the official footprint maps - as I know it's always possible to get reception outside of official footprints with a bit of effort.

I know that's not a runner for ireland or uk but have a friend in South East Europe - and would like to know if either of these are achieveable in his case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Zardoz

denis1501 wrote: »
    Here in Italy right now it's possible to get Sky Italia with Calcio included for 19 euros a month for 12 months.

How much is it normally ?

What about the prepaid cards are they cheap too ?
    I have an Italian buddy ,I could ask him to pick me up one if they are cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Headshot wrote: »

Lots of variables there! The total price would surely depend on what set-up somebody already had. And value would depend on what they wanted to get out of the package and how they planned to "bundle" this with their FTA stuff.

For someone who already has a Sky dish, maybe Setanta wins as reasonable and untechy solution? And it will have english audio.

If you have a multi lnb set up and receivers with a card reader/appropriate CAM, then it's hard to look beyond NC/Canal+. It's €280 for 18 months from Satsklep, so circa €15.50 a month. It's a flexible solution, which will live quite happily alongside Saorview and the fta satellite.

Sky Italia will require a proprietary box. Something like the following for (€300 plus shipping/ so over €25 per month).

http://www.tvcorner.com/product_info.php/products_id/1091

would give you quite a few more english audio channels if that was of interest. It is probably possible to get it cheaper than this. Edit: I see denis1501 has confirmed this. I think you used to get english audio on other sports (golf/tennis) . If you spend more and add Calcio package (like up to €45 p/m via tv corner!)..you get the new Fox Sports channels as well.

But: Its another box and you will have to switch around the remotes to watch Irish and English channels. Also, in a previous location, I had a very weak signal on some of the Calcio channels, so I didn't consider it in previous seasons. It is an excellent package though and very good value in comparison to the UK/Ireland variant.

Nova, Canal Digitaal, too expensive. Portuguese providers require a bank account, ppsn type number.

Viasat (and probably Al Jazeera) are out because my dish couldn't pull those in. And (probably) proprietary boxes.

Any other opinions? Skylink? Total TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭denis1501

https://abbonamento.sky.it/aol/abbonatiOnLine.do?methodName=doStart&codPromo=5667&origine=73376
    Zardoz wrote: »
    How much is it normally ?

What about the prepaid cards are they cheap too ?
    I have an Italian buddy ,I could ask him to pick me up one if they are cheap.

Is there a 'footprint' map somewhere that shows whats achievable for Badr or Nilesat? Not the official footprint maps - as I know it's always possible to get reception outside of official footprints with a bit of effort.

I know that's not a runner for ireland or uk but have a friend in South East Europe - and would like to know if either of these are achieveable in his case.

Whats a non-runner for Ireland?

Badr can be got in Ireland on a 88cm dish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Technique

druss wrote: »

Sky Italia will require a proprietary box. Something like the following for (€300 plus shipping/ so over €25 per month).

http://www.tvcorner.com/product_info.php/products_id/1091

would give you quite a few more english audio channels if that was of interest. It is probably possible to get it cheaper than this. Edit: I see denis1501 has confirmed this. I think you used to get english audio on other sports (golf/tennis) . If you spend more and add Calcio package (like up to €45 p/m via tv corner!)..you get the new Fox Sports channels as well.

What about buying a Sky Italia box from eBay.it and getting a separate card?

Advertisement