Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you any good at cooking

Options
  • 14-07-2013 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭

Im rubbish...would like to improve but im a very picky eater

If you are good whats your token dish

Comments

does turning on the chip pan or putting a godfellas pizza in the oven count :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Cornflakes avec milk

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I make awesome chilli.

Specialun wrote: »

I make a mean Eggplant parmesan...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

yep i am I can make some delicio dinners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Toast
    I'm deadly at toast :)
    And Chinese. I'm great at buying Chinese food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Cooking is simple. How can anyone be crap at cooking if you just follow the recipe and then just season to taste?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Catphish

Specialun wrote: »

Winter root veg soups and stews probably, I do love cooking. Is there anything you've ever eaten before and thought "I'd love to make that?" it's exactly what started me off. That led to me starting off growing my own herbs, and now I grow my own fruit and veg organically. There is a huge difference in the taste and freshness of being able to eat straight from your own garden.

Don't be picky about food, try try try new things. You'd be surprised what you'd like, especially when mixed in with other food.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,044 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

1ZRed wrote: »
    Cooking is simple. How can anyone be crap at cooking if you just follow the recipe and then just season to taste?

Very easily: some of them can be a bit vague. Also, some are better than others.

I find actually cornering someone who can cook with "look - I'll buy the ingredients, can you show me how to make it?" works great. (Also gets you a date - win-win!)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Rubbish. Can't cook for the life of me. Although I made mash potatoes last week for the first time and they were delish. Felt like a right little Ramsay so I did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

I like making burgers from scratch - experimenting with different ingredients can be fun, and it's not too taxing effort-wise...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Mariasofia

I can whip up a four course lunch with my eyes closed and my hands tied behind my back.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Only if you want to poison a rich relative who has mentioned you in their will and make it look OK for the coroner.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭calanus

Very easily: some of them can be a bit vague. Also, some are better than others.

I find actually cornering someone who can cook with "look - I'll buy the ingredients, can you show me how to make it?" works great. (Also gets you a date - win-win!)

Ask Gordon Ramsay and you will probably get a different type of result!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

1ZRed wrote: »

Exactly. When someone says to me 'You cooked that very well' I just think to myself 'Yeah I just followed the cooking instructions and the oven did the rest'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Only got good after watching Breaking Bad. That show saved my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I adore cooking. As someone else said, its easy to follow a recipe.

If you want to learn, do just that. Dont go trying to run before you can walk.

Keep it simple and you'll find yourself getting more adventurous each time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Exactly. When someone says to me 'You cooked that very well' I just think to myself 'Yeah I just followed the cooking instructions and the oven did the rest'

That's true, but a lot of recipes can also be really bland and you can just use them as a base and then add more stuff into it until it's a lot nicer. It's still pure simple, I don't get why some people are really put off by it because it's really not difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭skyfall2012

I only recently was looking for evening cookery course, but have only come across full time day courses. My family would really love for me to realise my dream of becoming a decent cook.

I can bake would you believe it, but cooking meals the timing of everything all gets to much for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I hate cooking. No patience for it and find it really boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,512 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Love cooking -- hate the washing up bit.

I only recently was looking for evening cookery course, but have only come across full time day courses. My family would really love for me to realise my dream of becoming a decent cook.

I can bake would you believe it, but cooking meals the timing of everything all gets to much for me.

Go shopping for a nice cook book that you think you'll be able to follow. Have a browse through it and get in your ingredients. Take your time, be organised and I bet you wont need any course ;)

Dont worry about timing (if you mean getting it all on the table together) Thats why god invented microwaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Can cook / Won't cook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

I always feel bad looking at this thread but i do make the best Findus crispy pancakes youll ever taste. :cool:

Keith wrote: »
    I always feel bad looking at this thread but i do make the best Findus crispy pancakes youll ever taste. :cool:

Ive often thought they're all chefs :o

...Not a crack to be seen on any of the plates either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

Chucken wrote: »
    Ive often thought they're all chefs :o

...Not a crack to be seen on any of the plates either!

Still waiting for the invite round to their house for Sunday dinner :(

--

I get all my cooking lessons from this Michelin starred chef:

If you think your lifes bad, this dudes is worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I'm all right ye, cooking's not necessarily hard, baking is more of a science that can be hard to get right. I love looking up and trying new recipes. What's my token dish........hmm when the cupboard is fairly bare and I'm looking for something cheap I'll make just simple homemade pizza, it's sorta the one thing where you nearly always have all the ingredients in the house, plain flour, dried yeast and water for the dough, 1 tin of tomatoes, 3 spoons tomato puree and 1 spoon of sugar for the sauce, put whatever else you like on it, caramelised red onions is pretty much a staple on mine. An even simpler version..... buy one of those jus-roll puff pastry sheets and add the sauce and toppings, easy peasy. I make a lot of curries from scratch, satay, korma etc. I love making sauces from scratch like basil pesto, peanut butter, bbq sauce, salsa, curry base. Just have some of those in the fridge, then you can add the pesto to pasta, potatoes, sandwiches, pizza w/e, mix some peanut butter with coconut milk and you have satay sauce. The problem is I spend way too much money on food :(

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭skyfall2012

Chucken wrote: »
    Go shopping for a nice cook book that you think you'll be able to follow. Have a browse through it and get in your ingredients. Take your time, be organised and I bet you wont need any course ;)

Dont worry about timing (if you mean getting it all on the table together) Thats why god invented microwaves.

I am one of those people who get enthusiastic and accessorize and everything comes to a halt- I have more cook books that you can shake a stick at even one that says 'only 3 ingredients' on the cover.

I watch youtube videos on cooking. I have discovered there is so much ingredients for so many types of dishes, that I will buy the fish sauce for a recipe and then never use it again.

I need help with my larder and meal planning and just being able to look in the fridge and put something together with whats in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

depends on what you consider cooking?

i can make beans on toast,

i can make creamy/fluffy mash potatoes/roast potatoes/boiled potatoes/chips, with a roasted chicken/boiled ham/roast beef, and soft/crunchy depending on taste vegetables,

i can do stir fries, salads (although not strictly cooked), pasta dishes, sauces...etc

i can make quiche, pancakes, pizzas and omelets, lasagnes (including the pasta sheets) from scratch.

i cannot make creme brulée but i don't like that so i never tried.

• Advertisement

I am one of those people who get enthusiastic and accessorize and everything comes to a halt- I have more cook books that you can shake a stick at even one that says 'only 3 ingredients' on the cover.

I watch youtube videos on cooking. I have discovered there is so much ingredients for so many types of dishes, that I will buy the fish sauce for a recipe and then never use it again.

I need help with my larder and meal planning and just being able to look in the fridge and put something together with whats in there.

Heres a little experiment. Look in the fridge and pick 3 or 4 ingredients and come back to me.

Advertisement