Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

LizT wrote: »
    I bought a bottle of Estee Lauder double wear a few months ago (I must be the only woman on the planet that doesn't like it - it just doesn't sit right on my skin at all!) and I got a free sample of their Advanced Night Repair Serum.

I completely forgot about it and only found it last week and have been using it since then. I love it! It's really light and not at all greasy and I've noticed my skin has been less red and my acne scarring seems to be healing a bit too. Just googled and apparently loads of people use it to clear up acne scarring successfully. Think I'll have to somehow scrape some funds together to buy it when my sample runs out (you only need 2-3 drops for your face and the girl gave me a very generous sample :))

Couple drops bio oil on your face at night has exact same effect for fraction of cost :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Couple drops bio oil on your face at night has exact same effect for fraction of cost :)

Tried it before, didn't work for me, it actually made me break out really badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Tried it before, didn't work for me, it actually made me break out really badly.

Oh no! Sorry, I couldn't believe my luck when I stumbled upon it in place of the Estée Lauder serum.
    That serum, for me, was the only high end product that actually lived up to its hype! It's brill! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I've been using Aldi's Lacura Beauty Care Oil at night to try help my acne scarring and I think, after only a few applications, it might be starting to work. I'm not breaking out either, so I hope it helps minimise the worst scars.

Not bad for 5e ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

There's a reason for that its pure mineral oil which is bad for the skin. I wouldn't use it anywhere on my body. Natural oils are far better. Rosehip oil is supposed to be good for acne scars

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭vibrantblue

jadie wrote: »
    There's a reason for that its pure mineral oil which is bad for the skin. I wouldn't use it anywhere on my body. Natural oils are far better. Rosehip oil is supposed to be good for acne scars

That is not necessarily true. Oils are very YMMV. Their effects differ from person to person. Personally, my skin LOVES mineral oil for make up removal. I don't use the Shu Uemura Cleansing Oils myself, but they get lots of love and have mineral oil as base ingredient. So does the infamous Embryolisse cream. On the other hand, I'm allergic to many essential and/or natural oils. But I tolerate and love Trilogy rosehip oil and prefer it over Bio Oil.Some skins may hate all types of oils. Some love naturals but hate mineral. It all depends. There is no base to this "mineral oil is our enemy" motto.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

I've just returned from a trip to Paris & just had to treat myself to a couple of new buys!

1303036958.jpg
    First off was Bioderma Crealine H2O, which I was on the look out for because I've heard so many people rave about how fantastic it is. I've only used it a couple of times now to take off my makeup (only light makeup, I've yet to try it with a full face of slap) but I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Vichy-Idealia-BB-Cream-Light-189114.jpg?o=ASZ3kB2Tr4ueh4$7zeFu1L4Xnpcj&V=Uhgm&w=250&h=250&r=2&q=80
    Secondly, and a bit of an impulse buy, was Vichy Idealia BB Cream in the shade Light. I'm really loving it! I usually can't stand BB creams because they're always too yellow for my skin tone and look awful on, but this one is just great. I have some blemishes & acne scarring on my chin and it doesn't offer a huge amount of coverage over those, but blending in some foundation or concealer over those evens it out nicely.

Really happy with my purchases! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Picked this up for holidays after reading good reviews. It seems to go on very smoothly so far! €19.70 from Boots. Bought loads of essentials today too, hair pins, conditioner, tooth paste etc, and used my double points voucher :D:D:D

La-Roche-Posay-Anthelios-Xl-Spf-50-Fluid-Extreme-For-Face-163587.jpg?o=YWdHqxITTLPHQUcJ0b5T9ALQ0n4j&V=Z$eK&q=70

ShazGV wrote: »
    First off was Bioderma Crealine H2O, which I was on the look out for because I've heard so many people rave about how fantastic it is.

No other micellar water compares to this. This is simply the best. It removes everything and is so gentle. LOVE! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

Maybelline-Pomegranate-Punk.jpg

Maybeliine pomegranate colour tattoo

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGBlWc95IcH6mJs02YG_6qMCIfY4YUXUCzcyvCcfAUxM853TSQ

Revlons lip butter in strawberry shortcake.

Totally in love with both. The lipstick doesn't go on that pink initially, but builds lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

How much are the MAC 4 pan palettes in BTs? Just a plain one with no shadows in it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

Toast4532 wrote: »
    How much are the MAC 4 pan palettes in BTs? Just a plain one with no shadows in it already.
    I think about 54 euro. I think it's 11 for each shadow and then 13 for the palette itself.

nursemar88 wrote: »
    I think about 54 euro. I think it's 11 for each shadow and then 13 for the palette itself.
    So €13 for an empty palette? Can you just get an empty palette or do you have to get it with shadows?

You can just buy it empty as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Twee. wrote: »
    La Roche Posay Anthelios Xl Spf 50 Fluid Extreme For Face

I had a sample size thing of this for holidays, it was teeny but lasted me a week. Fantastic stuff, didn't go shiny at all!

Good to know! I got a sample of Philosophy's SPF 30, which is lovely, but the LRP was coming in at €10 cheaper ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

So €13 for an empty palette? Can you just get an empty palette or do you have to get it with shadows?

Elf do a pallette that fits mac shadows perfectly - I've a few of them and they only cost £1.50. You need to get magnetic stickers though which you can buy on ebay for a few euros or you can use glue but the stickers mean you can remove them easily and swap around with other palettes.

http://eyeslipsface.co.uk/en/restofworld/custom-compact/custom-compact/invt/2567

http://www.lipstickwardrobe.com/2011/07/makeup-storage-life-savers-elf-empty.html

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_nkw=magnetic+adhesive++round&_sacat=0&_odkw=magnetic+stick+on+round&_osacat=0&_from=R40

the magnets are also handy for making photos, beermats etc into fridge magnets!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

Oh no! Sorry, I couldn't believe my luck when I stumbled upon it in place of the Estée Lauder serum.
    That serum, for me, was the only high end product that actually lived up to its hype! It's brill! :)

I agree EL Advanced Night Repair is pure liquid gold- it was the first anti aging serum of its kind and was patented for 20 years so its only in the past few years other companies have started to release their own similar products like the Lancome Genefique, Boots protect serum etc.

I used to work for EL and and I always knew customers who were already using this as their skin was always amazing even in their fifties and sixties. I'm using it myself now for the past 10 years and I still love it and will never be without- even if it is a bit pricey. I usually get it from the States if anyone goes over as its so much cheaper there like so many of the good brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

Is this the concentrate serum one you mean? Paula Begoun gives it a good review too

ams wrote: »
    Elf do a pallette that fits mac shadows perfectly - I've a few of them and they only cost £1.50. You need to get magnetic stickers though which you can buy on ebay for a few euros or you can use glue but the stickers mean you can remove them easily and swap around with other palettes.

http://eyeslipsface.co.uk/en/restofworld/custom-compact/custom-compact/invt/2567

http://www.lipstickwardrobe.com/2011/07/makeup-storage-life-savers-elf-empty.html

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_nkw=magnetic+adhesive++round&_sacat=0&_odkw=magnetic+stick+on+round&_osacat=0&_from=R40

the magnets are also handy for making photos, beermats etc into fridge magnets!
    Thanks so much, are these ones okay to use? I don't fancy having to cut them myself so these would be handy...:o

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/15-Self-Adhesive-Round-Magnets-4-MAC-Eye-Shadow-Palette-/200804018414?hash=item2ec0da28ee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

jadie wrote: »
    Is this the concentrate serum one you mean? Paula Begoun gives it a good review too

Just the regular one, synchronised recovery complex- although the formula has changed slightly over the years, its very similar. I have tried a small sample of the concentrate one and found it good but I think it would be more beneficial for specific skin issues or an intensive treatment rather than all year use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Thanks so much, are these ones okay to use? I don't fancy having to cut them myself so these would be handy...:o

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/15-Self-Adhesive-Round-Magnets-4-MAC-Eye-Shadow-Palette-/200804018414?hash=item2ec0da28ee

Yeah they look like the ones I got :)

Kanebo Sensai Softening Lotion: Again, I've always wanted to try these liquid softening lotions and heard great things about Kanebo. I've only used this once, so it's too early to say anything. But my skin feels, well, soft. :)

801553.jpg

I think this is breaking me out. :( I may end up selling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

nursemar88 wrote: »

W5TWcdq.jpg

6vrQYxe.png

I got the Hydra Veil, Satin Primer, two Skin Base Foundations in white and 06, a concealer, a cream highlighter in Gleam Aurora, a cream pigment in Hollow and a loose pigment in Furore.

How did you get on with Hollow? I have Gleam a while. Wasn't into it at first but use it everyday now. There are still some things left in the sale. Picked up the under eye concealer and eye pencil in Vow yesterday. Was planning on getting Hollow but it's sold out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

paulers06 wrote: »
    How did you get on with Hollow? I have Gleam a while. Wasn't into it at first but use it everyday now. There are still some things left in the sale. Picked up the under eye concealer and eye pencil in Vow yesterday. Was planning on getting Hollow but it's sold out

I've only used it twice but I love it. Absolutely perfect for my really pale skin, not too orange or brown. Very blendable and buildable. It just gives a really natural looking contour. I'll be doing a full review shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Bit of a Boots haul today *engage spending ban*

Maybelline: "Mint for Life"

587051_l.jpg

Soap and Glory One Heck of a Blot: tried it this evening and it does a decent job of mattifying the skin after a day of trekking around Dublin in this heat wave :D First blot powder I've ever used so I can't compare but it's supposedly as good as MAC's from reviews.

10153931?wid=280&hei=343&op_sharpen=1

and the best bargain of the day:

Real Techniques Expert Face Brush (free with my Advantage Card points and student discount)... had a bit of a moment when I used it earlier, about 4 years of applying foundation using my fingers and I've never had product blend so effortlessly :) Highly recommend this brush, size is perfect, it gets into the tough little areas like around the nose, and it doesn't absorb liquid/gel foundations.

Real_Techniques_Expert_Face_Brush_1366386902.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Those Real Techniques brushes are great.
    I got the stippling one and I don't know what I did without it.
    Ended up getting a few as back ups! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

I bought the Expert Face Brush the other day too bscm! Loved my makeup after I used it last night! Also got the Blush Brush - really soft and contours so well. Delighted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭miss flutter ups

Just want to rave about my new Essence maximum length mascara. I bought it after leaving my dior mascara in a hotel :(

It's absolutely amazing! I have stumpy blonde eye lashes and this mascara lengthens them without being clumpy.

It's the only mascara I've ever worn that people in work admired! And a bargain at 2 or 3 euro.

This isn't the coolest thing to wear but I always, always go back to Astral moisturizer (the original dark blue tub) cheap as chips and leaves my skin so soft and Dewey. Very cheap too. Would only wear this as a night cream as it's quite heavy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

used my cover girl lash volume (orange one) today and its brill! got it and the flame lashes in the US but didnt find the flame lashes as good (it seemed more length than volume) but loved the orange one.

also got the eyeko eye liner with marie claire -its not bad!

Advertisement