Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options
  • 05-07-2013 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

It seems like everytime I view the Fas website more and more real jobs are dissapearing from it and being replaced with free labour internships. When I search for specific sectors now all I seem to find are internships. This scheme is absolutely sickening me as it has potentially destroyed several thousand entry level jobs. I can't believe that Joan Burton and the labour party have completely ruined the youth labour market with a scheme which is:

-replacing real paid jobs with "internships"
    -exploiting the jobless
    -wasting tax-payer money to provide companies with free labour
    -putting underqualified/inexperienced/unvetted people in jobs with far too much responsibility(working with kids etc...)
    -distorting our unemployment figures
    -putting existing paid jobs at risk
    -being used to makeup for a shortfall of skills in the public service due to the recruitment embargo

Good people of AH, what can I do about this fiasco? It just makes me so angry thinking about this highly unsustainable and extremely exploitative scheme being always skewed in a positive light by our media and government :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

This has been covered a hundred times and makes me angry too. Its a ridiculous scheme. It has been abused by employers and you cant blame them, its free labour afterall.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

JobsBridge is a joke. It's the classic 'give an inch, take a mile' thing.
    But of course many fools people on here think it's a great idea.

Best 3 JobsBridge internships I seen were:

1, Waitress in some cafe.
    2, Shelf-packer in Tesco.
    3, Retail staff in Easons.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭FreshKnickers

They took our jobs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

wheres the scandal?
    1.you get out of the house
    2.get to meet new people
    3.see what its like to earn your money instead of staying in bed till 12 every day

• Registered Users Posts: 20,412 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

If the intern was paid the dole and the employer made up the rest of whatever the normal rate is for the job employers might be inclined to only advertise genuine internships.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Whatnuclearsub

wheres the scandal?
    2.get to meet new people
    3.see what its like to earn your money instead of staying in bed till 12 every day

You don't get it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

The sole purpose of this scheme is to manipulate unemployment figures so the likes of Burton, Brian Hayes,Howlin,Varadker and Noonan can spout ****e on tv about how they are 'kickstarting the economy'
    The idea was originally proposed by another shyster, the very smug Bill 'penny apples' Cullen, who is now also in serious financial difficulties as a result of his forays into property speculation.
    What can you do.? never vote for FG or Labour again and urge others to do the same. I assume you are up to speed on the other option,Fianna Fail.? well they don't even deserve to be mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

wheres the scandal?
    2.get to meet new people

the problem is that the "internships" are exploited and used as little more than free labour.
    Its not a problem when you have a genuine internship that actually gives you skills that can be used for career development.
    But in its current form its just being used by employers to fill entry level jobs that give you no skills to take forward and is ruining the youth labour market.

It has the potential to be a good scheme that helps people to get experience in better jobs but the jobs offered need tighter control to stop abuse of the system.
    But this wont happen as it allows the government to skew unemployment figures favorably.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭The Niece

Boyfriend finished up his contract in a well known supermarket because 'there was no more work'

The next week, a load of people started on jobbridge

I hate Jobbridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

JobsBridge is a joke. It's the classic 'give an inch, take a mile' thing.
    But of course many fools people on here think it's a great idea.

Best 3 JobsBridge internships I seen were:

1, Waitress in some cafe.
    2, Shelf-packer in Tesco.
    3, Retail staff in Easons.
    `
    I seen one for a kitchen porter :)

• Advertisement

The Niece wrote: »
    Boyfriend finished up his contract in a well known supermarket because 'there was no more work'

The next week, a load of people started on jobbridge

I hate Jobbridge

Name them, they deserve the bad publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,412 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Name them, they deserve the bad publicity.

Wouldn't be hard to guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

wheres the scandal?
    2.get to meet new people

Cause everyone on the dole stays in bed til 12 everyday.

Idiotic post, or troll. Not quite sure.

Tell you what, let's see you smile when your employer cuts ties with you and takes on an "intern" instead.

Then let's see you be satisfied with going out packing shelves thereby giving some supermarket cheap labour while pissing off former real employees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

wheres the scandal?
    2.get to meet new people

This is the worrying thing. There are people out there who are willing to put up with this work for free nonsense with silly rationalizing like this. You could do all that with a charity.

ok but what is wrong with teaching kids to earn the money instead of just handing it out every thursday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

The worst abuse of job bridge was oxigen waste company, who fired staff to replace them with free labour. Like a 6 month internship as a barista. You can learn the skills in about 6 hours.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/fifteen-firms-banned-from-jobbridge-work-scheme-1.1371584

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

Ice cream waiting staff internship.

That would look great on a CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

washman3 wrote: »
    What can you do.? never vote for FG or Labour again and urge others to do the same. I assume you are up to speed on the other option,Fianna Fail.? well they don't even deserve to be mentioned.

So who's left to vote for? The ones who got us into the mess or the Shinners :eek: They're all as bad as each other and only interested in lining their own pockets or ego.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,823 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

And the ****ing CE scheme is as bad as it. You have to be a traveller of 18 years or older or 25 years old if you're not a traveller.

Saw my ideal job opportunity on the FAS website and they wouldn't accept me (I turned 24 yesterday).
    ****ing livid I was.

you cant expect to walk in and get the cushy jobs coz you have a few letters after your name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,964 ✭✭✭✭bnt

What scandal? Offer employers free labour, and you're surprised that they take advantage? As soon as it was announced, it was obvious this was going to be abused. If you don't believe me, go back and read the original thread from two years ago. :rolleyes:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

ok but what is wrong with teaching kids to earn the money instead of just handing it out every thursday

Its not just green horn kids straight out of school who are in these schemes. A lot of long term unemployed as well. Its distorting the labour market and driving down wages. Its creating more problems than its solving.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

because instead of handing it out every thursday the person being exploited by the scheme might have a proper job instead.
    And its not kids getting the jobs -

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

hfallada wrote: »
    The worst abuse of job bridge was oxigen waste company, who fired staff to replace them with free labour. Like a 6 month internship as a barista. You can learn the skills in about 6 hours.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/fifteen-firms-banned-from-jobbridge-work-scheme-1.1371584

That link scared the sh*t outa me!!! Joan Burton's face close up....urgh :eek:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

When there are positions for kitchen porters, that is the clearest sign that it's being abused. Some poor lad doing 9 months as a KP for free :(

Not really sure why you need A levels for a KP internship at The Glyde Inn & Linn Duachaill

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shankespony

Two experiences i have come across, friend went into Civil Service on internship, he was a post grad and they taunted him about being the teaboy, had to threaten to write to his TD to get away from the place.

Second was with a prestige car mark, let marketing job and got intern for sfa , shocking, Paddy want his employees for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

http://jobseeker.fas.ie/Default.aspx?q=pS5j1dGu3mbRDk2RtTi1IPcYUlAhpV40ZuB+vWgi9hZBhrQEDJEviLGzTFv7ckuoYRDwGxdnGnigjzyMMcfO4GKLu7w/97zRPXFPIAMjj0ZzqAE2QfXZJD5WMcbscUMe5hvAf1C0GomRYNP2W4HkT1GUdf/7w2Z4V6iTCZixuHdiRlaakoyhmg2LAiKxyLhOFY93Dy3cNKgJmrkLEO1P9Z3NSx3HCTDnBH98Fvh5+r62F8LTC/XLxFEOthe5kIGECy6fs9QRCbYv9qhMhwl5MqO8rA/SCijsqYqUEFWBzk0vlEQRChMsYOyc/+D6EpFlwpxphKwHZ+XMe5+7kQSpRvMOM9ffg3t93KuDtt0Zv8l0KpXVRltTzLcApDM0K7rf

Of every job on that link, there are VERY few that aren't entry level. I wouldn't mind if they were useful job-bridge positions, but they are always ones that any idiot from the street could do. Have posted about my bad experience with job bridge in the past on this site before so wont repeat myself, but I know why people do them, I hate the very principle of the things and think they are vile, but at times find myself so desperate that I will still consider doing on for something to do. They prey on people desperate to get their foot in the door only to be used as a cleaner/tea maker/ etc for the whole nine/six months and not actually learning anything about the job. If a young person does it, they are working 40 hrs for 150, which is bad in itself. I done a few days long 'trial' for a job bridge, and was expected to stay two hours longer than the paid staff, they all got to leave while I was sitting there like an idiot..

It makes me so angry but I am unsure what can be done, TDs will just ignore letters/not be able to do much anyway. Sad state we are living in.

As for the person that said 'so you won't sleep in till twelve' - a personal note, I am on the dole and am up by 8 every morning. we are not all lazy like you imply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

There is a big difference between teaching kids to earn money and putting both employed and unemployed adults with financial responsibilites in a vulnerable position. For every person who is let go so that the company can take on an intern, two people end up claiming social welfare.

Internships started out as a way for higher educated people to get some valuable hands on experience and further their careers. Most would get a basic salary but even if they didn't, they would work part time as the experience and contacts they gained were invaluable. An example is apprentice solicitors who do in office training along with their academic training.

It's really taking the p!ss when you see basic jobs such as waitressing/shelf stacking etc advertised as "internships". I'm not knocking these jobs and have do them myself but you don't need to work 39 hours a week for nine months to get trained up in these positions. The real kick in the face is being told at the end of the "internship" that despite all your hard work for less than minimum wage the company cannot offer a position as they have a new batch of interns to exploit teach valuable skills to.

im afraid nowadays its who you know and what you know :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

im afraid nowadays its who you know and what you know :(
    It's always been that way. My mother got me my first three jobs (first as a leaflet delivery girl for DHBurkes, second as a summer nanny and third as a waitress). It's not just the elite who move within their circle. Had the employers not asked my mother if she knew anyone looking for work, I would never have gotton any of those jobs.

I did a FAS course and it was drilled into us on CV week to network, network, network. It's not what you know, it's who you know. It's all about making contacts and building up a reputation. In fairness, if it was your business would you take a chance on a random stranger or someone who came recommended from someone who has done business with them before and would do business with them again?

I think in Ireland we confuse networking with brown nosing. No one respects a kiss ass but there is nothing wrong with putting yourself out there professionally.

Advertisement