Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way or exercises to burn FAT

Options
  • 27-06-2013 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Looking a question answered and also looking for suggestions to the title question.

My question was is it a good time to exercise when you are feeling hungry. Because your body will use your fat storage to get you through your session? Is that true?

And all suggestions welcome also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

No...

Exercising hungry or not, is not going to make much of a difference.
    Losing fat is done only by having a calorie deficit diet. Nearly anything you will read on it will suggest that your diet will contribute as much as 80-90% of what you are trying to achieve either gaining or cutting. So it doesn't matter how you spread your calorie intake over the day, 3 large meals, 6 small, etc etc.
    If anything having something small before hand might give you a better workout then not.

In saying that, best exercise to burn fat?
    Will anything that gets your heart rate up. Cardio would certainly be the easiest to get going in but weight training actually burns fat (...and gains muscle) faster. It increases your metabolism. Try the barbell squat :)
    Just remember though, that exercise should be seen as the supplement to your diet when you are trying to lose weight.

You need you diet in check first before you will see any progress. You will never out train a bad diet. Use myfitnesspal to log everything you are eating and see how your macros break down. Find out your maintenance calories and reduce by about 15-20% (don't go any lower then that). You will see progress if you can stick to that, combine it with exercise then to "tone up".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

My question was is it a good time to exercise when you are feeling hungry.
    It's always a good time to exercise.

With 'fasted' cardio you are talking about a trade off.

Fasted cardio = On the plus side you have a slightly higher % of preferential fat usage but it isn't hugely better than non fasted cardio. On the negative side the intensity and duration of exercise may be lessened.

Non fasted cardio = The opposite of above.

So yes, fasted cardio may use 'fat' as a slightly higher contributory energy source BUT you may actually end up burning more fat by doing your exercise non fasted but at a higher intensity.
    Because your body will use your fat storage to get you through your session?
    Your body is always using fat for energy...the contribution is just altered depending on the 'current' state of your energy stores at the time.
    Is that true?
    Kind of...but probably not in the way you are alluding to here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 shikaakwa312

No dont train when hungry you will become burnt out and lose energy. Plus your body burns the most amount of calories during your workout and within 30 minutes afterwords so you need the calories to function your brain and muscles. Studies have been done that show that eating 30 minutes before a workout actually can aid results- obviously not conclusive but it shows that it doesn't matter if you have eaten recently. But the worst thing is to be hungry during training or not eat afterwords. Because ingesting food increases metabolism. Heres why: its a natural reactant of our body to store food if we dont eat for survival skills, why we can last 40 days or whatever it may be, so when you dont eat you slow down your metabolism. You should eat 5-6 nutritious meals a day and never be hungry for a training session and never go hungry afterwords. So your body will actually do the opposite of your hypothesis- it will stall your energy sources not letting you get the full effect and slow down your metabolism.
    Source: college soccer player had to go to various nutrition clinics and whatnot

No dont train when hungry you will become burnt out and lose energy.
    Actually that's not necessarily true. Fasted cardio can actually be useful in the 'right' circumstances.
    Plus your body burns the most amount of calories during your workout
    This bit is true.
    and within 30 minutes afterwords
    This is really dependent on the form, intensity and duration of exercise and is certainly not even close to the significance of calorie burn during exercise.
    so you need the calories to function your brain and muscles.
    Nope. That isn't true. Basic sedentary metabolic function at rest can be amply met by fat stores even in lean individuals for a week or two...again dependent on the form, intensity and duration of the exercise that was undertaken. I am going to just assume that the OP isn't talking about being hungry from a couple of weeks of fasting.

I would also point out that 'hunger' isn't necessarily related to the state of the glycogen stores in an individual.
    Studies have been done that show that eating 30 minutes before a workout actually can aid results-
    Are you saying that eating 30 minutes before a workout can aid in fat burning? I'd like to see a link to that study?
    obviously not conclusive but it shows that it doesn't matter if you have eaten recently.
    Again if you are saying that it aid in body fat loss or in the preferential use of adipose tissue during exercise I would like to say that.
    But the worst thing is to be hungry during training or not eat afterwords. Because ingesting food increases metabolism. Heres why: its a natural reactant of our body to store food if we dont eat for survival skills, why we can last 40 days or whatever it may be, so when you dont eat you slow down your metabolism.
    Ahhhh nope. Well ingesting food increases metabolic function but most of the rest of what you said is various shades of wrong.
    You should eat 5-6 nutritious meals a day and never be hungry for a training session and never go hungry afterwords. So your body will actually do the opposite of your hypothesis- it will stall your energy sources not letting you get the full effect and slow down your metabolism.
    Source: college soccer player had to go to various nutrition clinics and whatnot
    None of that is actually true. Meal frequency barely matters in 'average' individuals only calorie and macronutrient content really. Periods of hunger will have almost no measurable effect on basal metabolic rate. It certainly won't slow down or break you metabolisms.

Is the fact that I am a triathlete, former college soccer player, or have been to various nutritional clinics with university research false as well? Show me a source that refutes one thing i said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Actually that's not necessarily true. Fasted cardio can actually be useful in the 'right' circumstances.

This bit is true.

This is really dependent on the form, intensity and duration of exercise and is certainly not even close to the significance of calorie burn during exercise.

Nope. That isn't true. Basic sedentary metabolic function at rest can be amply met by fat stores even in lean individuals for a week or two...again dependent on the form, intensity and duration of the exercise that was undertaken. I am going to just assume that the OP isn't talking about being hungry from a couple of weeks of fasting.

I would also point out that 'hunger' isn't necessarily related to the state of the glycogen stores in an individual.

Are you saying that eating 30 minutes before a workout can aid in fat burning? I'd like to see a link to that study?

Again if you are saying that it aid in body fat loss or in the preferential use of adipose tissue during exercise I would like to say that.

Ahhhh nope. Well ingesting food increases metabolic function but most of the rest of what you said is various shades of wrong.

None of that is actually true. Meal frequency barely matters in 'average' individuals only calorie and macronutrient content really. Periods of hunger will have almost no measurable effect on basal metabolic rate. It certainly won't slow down or break you metabolisms.

Yet another post from will heffernan using perfect grammar quoting sections of another post stating how each section is totally wrong . Shock!

So much for credibility^^^

Is the fact that I am a triathlete, former college soccer player, or have been to various nutritional clinics with university research false as well? Show me a source that refutes one thing i said.
    OK. I will actually take the time to do that since you asked and then we can let people judge for themselves.

While I am doing that maybe you could do the same so people could compare or research and arguments side by side?

I love how your right "that bit is true" about the fact that people burn calories during exercise. Thanks for that. No, Ill be right here waiting for your baseless arguments.

I love how your right "that bit is true" about the fact that people burn calories during exercise. Thanks for that. No, Ill be right here waiting for your baseless arguments.
    As I said in another thread here on boards.

I will make time over the weekend to point out all the things that are incorrect in his statements and do what he hasn't done and that is to back it all up with research.

It seems fine for everyone else here to make complete unsupported and incorrect statements but if I wish to point out people are incorrect I have to document my statements with research and references.

In this case I am happy to do so. Then we can see who's right and who is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

You should eat 5-6 nutritious meals a day

You should eat what you need to eat - having it in 3 meals or 6 makes bugger all difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

If you're asking for his sources then you should also be bringing your sources I'm sorry but:
    Is not a valid source for anything. In fact if I ever read the word "whatnot" in a source, I tend to look elsewhere.

Oh it took a while to find those facts huh? A nice weekend project for you thats grand Im glad Im the one who is incorrect though when you cant find your facts in 10 minutes when you are already at a computer. How long does google take, come on now?

Oh it took a while to find those facts huh? A nice weekend project for you thats grand Im glad Im the one who is incorrect though when you cant find your facts in 10 minutes when you are already at a computer. How long does google take, come on now?

tell us and bring your facts too.

All the stuff i said was general, amateur info. i gave to someone who seemed like a novice and that he could easily stick to and that can be googled in a heartbeat. Im the defendant here so he makes his case first. Sorry for my grammer ill try to do better next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    Losing fat is done only by having a calorie deficit diet.

What???

All the stuff i said was general, amateur info. i gave to someone who seemed like a novice and that he could easily stick to and that can be googled in a heartbeat. Im the defendant here so he makes his case first. Sorry for my grammer ill try to do better next time.
    That's fine. Like I said, I'll make the time to point out all the stuff that isn't correct.

It would be easier if you just gave me some links to the studies you discussed?

If you aren't willing or able to clarify your statements or to give us a link or reference to the studies you alluded to in your post then I'll just have to make some assumptions based on what you said.

even amateurs can back up correct information using google.

A lot of what you mention is broscience and myth. I'm very amateur and i know this.

as an amateur I know that fasted cardio can help burn body fat, as the body has no ready source of carbs to use as energy.

As an amateur I know that eating 5/6 meals a day is nonsense. Your body works 24 hours a day 7 days a week, if you had to eat 5/6 times a day to keep it going our species would have died off eons ago since food is not always readily available.

As an Amateur I know that weight lifting an other similar exercise increase your metabolism and continues to burn higher level of calories for hours after finishing a work out. Much more than a session on the treadmill.

Source: this forum mostly, and google ofc, but also I frequently work out fasted and feel fine. (i like anecdotal evidence too).

Let me get this straight...

1) You ridicule every sentence of my helpful, accurate post. 2) Then when confronted, claim you will provide research showing why i am wrong. 3) Then say no you go get your research because after 10 minutes you came up with nothing. 4) Then grant yourself to put words in my mouth when everything i said was rather clear.

I was just scrolling along another thread and it seems as though you get into these quite often. Not only do i question your knowledge about health, but now i question you as a person. And better yet you have your disciples trying to get me to provide sources when you came up empty.

There's a lot of bad/incorrect info in the googliser though.

• Advertisement

thegreatiam....as great as you probably are you should probably let this man fight for himself and you just detract from the actual issue at hand. You are trying to make a sad attempt at attacking my grammar and "whatnot" and verbage. PM me when you do an iron man and maybe i could house you up in the states or something...or that may be too anecdotal...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

What???
    Want to add anything more to that...? Are you disputing it or did you just stop reading there?

Let me get this straight...

1) You ridicule every sentence of my helpful, accurate post. 2) Then when confronted, claim you will provide research showing why i am wrong. 3) Then say no you go get your research because after 10 minutes you came up with nothing. 4) Then grant yourself to put words in my mouth when everything i said was rather clear.

I was just scrolling along another thread and it seems as though you get into these quite often. Not only do i question your knowledge about health, but now i question you as a person. And better yet you have your disciples trying to get me to provide sources when you came up empty.
    Look...I won't get into a back and forth here...as much as I'd like to.

I will do exactly what I said. I will take the time in this instance to point out a exactly what I think is erroneous in your post and I will provide references to back up my view.

All I was saying is that you mentioned a number of studies that supported your statements and views and all I was saying was that I'd like to see them.

No, because then it will turn into you attacking my sources and we will never see your side (which you claimed was so strong about an hour ago but if it was we would already have seen it). Do what you said you would. Be a man, or a bro as your friend would say.

half-hour ago*, im sure the great will get on me about that one...

half-hour ago*, im sure the great will get on me about that one...

Are you just trying to get peoples backs up, or are you trying to help the OP?

thegreatiam....as great as you probably are you should probably let this man fight for himself and you just detract from the actual issue at hand. You are trying to make a sad attempt at attacking my grammar and "whatnot" and verbage. PM me when you do an iron man and maybe i could house you up in the states or something...or that may be too anecdotal...

I didnt attack your grammar once.
    I pointed out that whatnot is hardly an accurate scientific term.

And i'm not defending Will in any way. But if you are going to demand someone show research then you'd better be able to back up your statements too.

save your whatnots and other broscience for elsewhere.

Look at the history of this thread and you tell me. Did i initiate any confrontation whatsoever? OP said all suggestions were welcomed. I'm actually a nice guy and never am confrontational but I hate it when uneducated people completely tear someone's argument up without any backing and then continue to detract from the issue with petty b.s. Maybe we will have a scientific breakthrough from Mr. Heffernan, who knows? Btw, your information about waiting to eat for 2 hrs after training in the other thread was idiotic but I decided not to address it and instead respond to the OP. Did I not? Go look at that thread as well, you clearly took my words and I did not even entertain your thoughts and instead directly told the OP that turkey is a good protein and that it has tryptophan. Go read it.

Btw, your information about waiting to eat for 2 hrs after training in the other thread was idiotic but I decided not to address it and instead respond to the OP. Did I not? Go look at that thread as well, you clearly took my words and I did not even entertain your thoughts and instead directly told the OP that turkey is a good protein and that it has tryptophan. Go read it.

That was me, not thegreatiam. You need to read more carefully.

• Advertisement

Exactly you need to read more carefully, I posted it to you. Look at the time reference- it was posted like 10 secs after the GREAT. Plus, you asked me if i was up hear just to get up peoples backs and thats what i responded to. You need to read more carefully. Honestly go ahead and read what I said.

Advertisement