Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

OK once again, I'm being forced to step in here.
    Lemlin, we all know what your views on Johnston were/are. Please stop attempting to score points on other users regarding how their views may have changed. Any more of this and you will be banned.
    And can I remind users of the Terms of Use you all agreed to when joining Boards, namely:

You agree, through use of this service, NOT to use boards.ie to:
    identify or speculate as to the identity of any anonymous or pseudonymous user
    Failure to abide by these can lead to site bans.

I feel I've been extremely lenient to both sides of this but bans will be handed out if this crap keeps on going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

So what are the expectations out there amongst Kildare fans for this year's Championship? Poor football from both sides at the weekend but early days yet. [edit: looks like this discussion got going a few pages back :D]

McGeeney has done a phenomenal job in transforming Kildare into a tough, competitive outfit. I wonder though if they don't make it a step further this year if he might not decide he has taken this group of players as far as they can go and call it a day. A break from management or a new challenge elsewhere might be attractive after the long, hard slog of the past few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Semis has to be the target for Kildare but they won't get the better if Dublin or Donegal IMO. Kildare don't look as strong this year as they have in previous years but the great thing is that there is little hype this year and that could help them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Tristram wrote: »
    So what are the expectations out there amongst Kildare fans for this year's Championship? Poor football from both sides at the weekend but early days yet. [edit: looks like this discussion got going a few pages back :D]

McGeeney has done a phenomenal job in transforming Kildare into a tough, competitive outfit. I wonder though if they don't make it a step further this year if he might not decide he has taken this group of players as far as they can go and call it a day. A break from management or a new challenge elsewhere might be attractive after the long, hard slog of the past few years.

It's not really the same group of players this year. A lot of the old guard who were competitive over the last few years have been moved on. Six players made their championship debuts for Kildare on Saturday and that included three players who were playing minor football this time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

For anyone at the game how did Brophy play? Would he be better at this moment coming off the bench to make an impact?

• Advertisement

He won a lot of ball but it was all with his back to goal going out the field. He did lay on a few scores. He possibly would be better coming into a a game when it is looser in the second half but I thought he was unfortunate to be taken off ahead of O'Connor at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭qwerty93

McGeeney struggles to keep O Connor on for a full game despite how well he is going, Where I was sitting in the Cusack Stand bringing on Johnson was met with universal groans, he is quite hot and cold and wouldnt like him to play against Dublin.Here is my preferred lineup.
    Connolly
    Lyons Foley Kelly
    Bolton McGrillen Doyle
    Flynn Flynn
    O Flaherty O Neill Callaghan
    Smith O Connor Doyle

We will need every score we can get and O Neill is well able to kick from range and his physicality would be put to use around the middle. I put Kelly and Lyons as corner backs due to heir sheer pace. I Think McGrillen wouldnt be the worst option at centre half, I always like to see him surging up the field. I do think for this game these would be the best fowards at our disposal and with plenty of ball winners around he middle pumping the ball in we have an outside chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Playing O'Connor against Dublin would be futile. Save him for the qualifiers where he could do some damage against weaker full backs.

I thought O Connor played well against the Dubs when we played in '11 and also during the O Byrne Cup this year

Roli Sweeney was full forward that day.

• Advertisement

He came on in the second half.. Roli actually had a super game that day too now that you mention it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

I'd have Paddy Brophy at FF against the Dubs, his ball winning capabilities are the best we have. Rory O'Carroll had Tomás in his pocket in the league. Brophy has a lot more pace than O'Connor and this is where O'Carroll could struggle, he is a fine full back though, one of the best in the country.

I'd have Johnston and JD either side. Johnston actually done well in the league game particularly in the first half despite the poor quality of ball going in.

I don't think we have a prayer of beating Dublin, love them or loathe them, you have to admit they are a powerful unit and they possess the best half and full forward line in the country, they are the only team capable of beating Donegal IMO. I think the performance and the manner of defeat needs to improve ten fold on our league meeting with them if we are going to at least make the QF.

As an aside, it was great to hear from Dermot Earley on The Sunday Game, he spoke really well and hopefully we will see a lot more of him on the box.

P.S the atmosphere in Croker was cat. Play these games in provincial grounds FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Dermot would stick out like a sore thumb on TSG, for all the right reasons.

Having Hurley back on the panel now gives us another option, potentially at full forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kencoo

I think Cribbin had a cracking game and was my man of the match. Young Flynn had quiet a good match too.

No doubt the u21s will have an impact but we are screwed come two weeks. The pace and accuracy of Dublin was frightening. Lets not forget Westmeath are a division 1 team for 13/14 league season.

Sorry for being negative but cant see kildare coming out on top.

I don't think anyone believes we will win but I'm certain we'll fare a lot better than Westmeath.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

dublin are playing awesome football.. but remember championship throws curveballs.. i dont think we will beat them but

CILL DARA ABU

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

kencoo wrote: »
    I think Cribbin had a cracking game and was my man of the match. Young Flynn had quiet a good match too.

No doubt the u21s will have an impact but we are screwed come two weeks. The pace and accuracy of Dublin was frightening. Lets not forget Westmeath are a division 1 team for 13/14 league season.

Sorry for being negative but cant see kildare coming out on top.
    Jesus I'd not be worrying too much about that. The other half is a Dub (yes I have been shunned by my family) and watching the game on Saturday I couldn't believe the lack of fight in Westmeath.
    One thing I always expect from an underdog in a championship game is to look hungrier than their opponent but with about 10 minutes gone none of the Westmeath lads looked interested about getting on the ball or showing for team mates.
    This is something that will not be allowed to happen for Kildare.
    Saying that it will take a shifting of the planets for Kildare to beat Dublin but being realistic I know most in here just want to see Kildare in touv=ching distance with 10 minutes to go.

Seanie Johnston blah blah Cavan blah blah Val Andrews

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

A lot of people using the League game with Dublin as a barometer for our upcoming game when it couldn't be much further from being an indicator.

The team that started against Dublin in the league and the one that will start in under 4 weeks time will be completely different.

Shane Connolly; Peter Kelly, Mick Foley, Hugh McGrillen; Emmet Bolton (capt), Mikey Conway, Eoin Doyle;Ollie Lyons, Padraig O'Neill; Brian Flanagan, Cathal McNally, Eoghan O’Flaherty; Seanie Johnston, Tomas O'Connor, Johnny Doyle.

Players highlighted in bold probably won't start and will be replaced with Eamon Callaghan, Daryl Flynn, Niall Kelly, Paddy Brophy, Mark Donnellan.

I expect a far more even match, considering Kildare were only a couple of points down at half time of the league clash only to stay in the dressing room after half time.

Dublin are a fine side but Tyrone have proven that with a good game plan that even an average enough team can disrupt and beat them.

Pace is crucial for Kildare in this game. That's what gives us some hope that a repeat of the league game will not occur. Leper, Cribbin, Dan Flynn and Niall Kelly did not start that day and Dublin ran rings around us. They're all certain starters the next day and they all posses serious pace.

• Advertisement

Tyrone are hardly average, a team filled with lads with senior AIs and underage AIs. Kildare would kill to have a Stephen O'Neill or a Sean Cavanagh to go with Johnny Doyle. I think Dublin can be exposed at the back but their talent on the front foot and Kildare's weakness when it comes to converting chances makes me think ye will find it very hard to capitalise on those frailties. It's just not a favourable match-up of strengths and weaknesses for Kildare.

It should be a good test for both sides and it's probably the Leinster final in all but name to boot.

It's rumoured that Keith Cribbin is back on the Kildare panel

It's rumoured that Keith Cribbin is back on the Kildare panel
    Jesus, Johnstownbridge would have a huge amount of players on the panel if thats the case, its amazing that they are still intermediate with that amount of talent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Syferus wrote: »
    Tyrone are hardly average, a team filled with lads with senior AIs and underage AIs. Kildare would kill to have a Stephen O'Neill or a Sean Cavanagh to go with Johnny Doyle. I think Dublin can be exposed at the back but their talent on the front foot and Kildare's weakness when it comes to converting chances makes me think ye will find it very hard to capitalise on those frailties. It's just not a favourable match-up of strengths and weaknesses for Kildare.

It should be a good test for both sides and it's probably the Leinster final in all but name to boot.

Tyrone have been an average enough championship team for the last number of years.

They have a slow aging backline and O'Neill and Cavanagh aside have very little in terms of top quality.

The National Football League this year has masked their inefficiencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Tyrone have been an average enough championship team for the last number of years.

They have a slow aging backline and O'Neill and Cavanagh aside have very little in terms of top quality.

You commented above regarding Tyrone that "even an average enough team can disrupt and beat them".

In the past few years in the championship, Tyrone have lost to:

2010: Dublin
    2011: Donegal and Dublin
    2012: Donegal and Kerry
    2013: Donegal

I'm wondering which of those teams above you'd see as "average enough"?

I'd see all of those sides as being in the top five in the country at the time, if not higher. Dublin and Donegal actually proved themselves to be the best in the country each year they beat Tyrone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Lemlin wrote: »
    You commented above regarding Tyrone that "even an average enough team can disrupt and beat them".

In the past few years in the championship, Tyrone have lost to:

2010: Dublin
    2011: Donegal and Dublin
    2012: Donegal and Kerry
    2013: Donegal

I'm wondering which of those teams above you'd see as "average enough"?

I'd see all of those sides as being in the top five in the country at the time, if not higher. Dublin and Donegal actually proved themselves to be the best in the country each year they beat Tyrone.
    I see where you are coming from there but who did Tyrone beat in those years.
    You could make the same argument for Wicklow if they were beaten by Dublin in Leinster and Kerry in Qualifiers but in reality they are a poor side who had beaten nobody

Edit: I agree with you that Tyrone are far from an average Championship side over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Felexicon wrote: »
    I see where you are coming from there but who did Tyrone beat in those years.
    You could make the same argument for Wicklow if they were beaten by Dublin in Leinster and Kerry in Qualifiers but in reality they are a poor side who had beaten nobody

Edit: I agree with you that Tyrone are far from an average Championship side over the last few years.

It might happen Wicklow one year but not three in a row. Tyrone won Ulster in 2010. Hardly an easy feat.

Over the years they have beaten Armagh, Down, Monaghan and Roscommon. Those are decent enough teams and teams who, over those years, were next in line to the top sides.

qwerty93 wrote: »
    Jesus, Johnstownbridge would have a huge amount of players on the panel if thats the case, its amazing that they are still intermediate with that amount of talent

I don't think the number of lads they have away with the county team helps them to build any sort of continuity. It's amazing to think Sarsfields only have one player on the panel now that Dermot is gone and they are the county champions!

Cribbin played well for the junior team last week. He's still quite young and has pace to burn. I'd be surprised if he features but he will add to the competition in the squad which can't do any harm.

Tyrone are well on the way towards building their next team, they aren't analogous to the current Kerry team where most of the greats are giving it one last swig of the flask. Most of the 'passed it' players have retired over the last two seasons.

Kildare could actually beat Tyrone but in terms of quality forwards it's not even comparable. Neither team are average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I thought this was a Kildare thread.

Advertisement