Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could redesign the human body

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

My Suggestion:

I would like some claws as big as cups, four ears, two for listening and two sort of back-up ears. Might put these on the inside of the head though, We should have a retractable leg so we can leap at things better. We could have a tail with magnets on it so if we want to grab things made out of metal, we can attach ourselves to the metal thing.We should be able to light up at night. This may result in a tremendous fear of stamps however. When we yawn we should sound like Liam Neeson chasing a load of hens around inside a barrel.and we dont need a mouth, but instead we should have four arses. Oh, and we only need eyebrows on Saturdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

3 boobs like Total Recall.

On women, that is, not me.............................well.............

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

jonnny68 wrote: »
    ... 3D vision,

In fairness, unless you've lost the sight of one of your eyes, you have that already!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

robman60 wrote: »
    ... so the body having the ability to moderate its temperature in order to ...

You have that already. Problem is, it uses a lot of energy. Like about 80%...
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Take away the need for sleep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

jonnny68 wrote: »
    3D vision,

heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

In fairness, unless you've lost the sight of one of your eyes, you have that already!

That post is a perfect example of the poor knowledge of human anatomy and biology that most posters in this thread possess

• Registered Users Posts: 48 kilkenny_kid

Nicer looking jizz...

• Registered Users Posts: 19 guydead67

Gorrilla arms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Plus, 1 sperm has 37.5MB of DNA information in it. A normal ejaculation represents a data transfer of 1587GB in about 3 seconds.

ALL HAIL THE SPERM

Yeah but there's not as much if you zip it

edit

- Cinnamon rainbow farts

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Nino Brown wrote: »
    Have you ever been on a plane or something, and you were dying for a piss, and parched with the thirst at the same time. Surely something could be worked out there.
    Better kidneys would sort this out.

Cats can drink sea water because of their kidneys.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Scylla wrote: »
    No gag reflex would be great.
    Turn Off Your Gag Reflex by Squeezing Your Left Thumb http://lifehacker.com/5858128/shut-off-your-gag-reflex-by-squeezing-your-left-thumb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Mariasofia

That's good to know thanks, you know for dentist visits etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I have just been having a discussion about this. Being pregnant seriously sucks so I would like it if we could lay eggs, small ones so it didn't hurt you at all. Then you could put the eggs in an incubator for 9 months and go about your life, not puking, getting fat or bloated or waddling around like a penguin and could just live your life for 9 months. Then you go and pick up your baby from the incubator when its ready. We need to evolve to do this!
    Eggs have a limited amount of calories within them for brain development so brain size in birds and reptiles are limited by that design.

Our system is far more dynamic as a woman can continuously eat and give nourishment when there is more need for it so we can keep growing.

IIRC the largest egg in the world -the ostrich egg, has about 2000 calories in it. That's all there is and there's no more energy, so all that *finite* energy must go towards building the body and the brain of the animal.

At a contrast it takes upwards of 10,000+ calories to develop a baby's brain. To build such a big human brain would not be possible in an egg because it would be completely unviable.

Egg laying animals have to make a compromise for the convenience of laying eggs, but we do not have to make that compromise.

That's why mammals are usually far more intelligent than birds and reptiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭gubber

The ability to regenerate limbs would be pretty sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

1ZRed wrote: »
    Eggs have a limited amount of calories within them for brain development so brain size in birds and reptiles are limited by that design.

Our system is far more dynamic as a woman can continuously eat and give nourishment when there is more need for it so we can keep growing.

IIRC the largest egg in the world -the ostrich egg, has about 2000 calories in it. That's all there is and there's no more energy, so all that *finite* energy must go towards building the body and the brain of the animal.

At a contrast it takes upwards of 10,000+ calories to develop a baby's brain. To build such a big human brain would not be possible in an egg because it would be completely unviable.

Egg laying animals have to make a compromise for the convenience of laying eggs, but we do not have to make that compromise.

I know why we have pregnancy/give birth the way we do - in fact human babies are very vulnerable when they are born due to how short human gestation actually is (for how developed we are)

This is obviously a fantasy, I know it wouldn't work. It's not meant to be taken so seriously. I would just like a way to grow a baby without having to carry it around all the time. It's not fun, let me tell you!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

At a contrast it takes upwards of 10,000+ calories to develop a baby's brain. To build such a big human brain would not be possible in an egg
    Well it would be possible with a sufficiently large and solid egg. But I'm pretty sure after laying one or two of those bad boys, women would be thinking that the old ways weren't so bad after all.

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I know why we have pregnancy/give birth the way we do - in fact human babies are very vulnerable when they are born due to how short human gestation actually is (for how developed we are)

This is obviously a fantasy, I know it wouldn't work. It's not meant to be taken so seriously. I would just like a way to grow a baby without having to carry it around all the time. It's not fun, let me tell you!

Neither is a kick to the bollocks, let me tell you that! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Lizard scales for skin. That way I wouldn't have to wear this stupid human skin every time I need to go out in public to feed on you puny bastards. I mean, this thing itches no end, and you don't dare scratch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

jeez eight pages, did anyone say Xray Eyes yet?

(that would have to be Selective Xray Eyes of course thinking about it.....shudder)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I've spent the last fortnight mapping a few hundred million RNA sequences to the latest build of the human genome. It's a bloody mess. Human genes are all over the sodding place, fragmented and spliced with other crap. Those chromosomes need some good tidying up.

adjustable mickey length

Sarky wrote: »
    I've spent the last fortnight mapping a few hundred million RNA sequences to the latest build of the human genome. It's a bloody mess. Human genes are all over the sodding place, fragmented and spliced with other crap. Those chromosomes need some good tidying up.

go on the chromosomes

Octopuses use tools, and they have tiny eggs.

Also this parrot knew nothing. In the abstract concept of "zero" sense.

Also a lot of human brain development takes place after birth and you can reprogram children up to ~7 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sarky wrote: »
    A good refactoring is what's needed.

Nothing could possibly go wrong :D

seamus wrote: »
    Well it would be possible with a sufficiently large and solid egg. But I'm pretty sure after laying one or two of those bad boys, women would be thinking that the old ways weren't so bad after all.
    Ask a kiwi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Mariasofia

adjustable mickey length

Just curious - under what circumstances would you adjust?

DeVore wrote: »
    The human body is incredibly badly designed. I have to laugh at the "Intelligent Design" crowd, cos if this is the pinnacle of "God's" ability... he's crap at design.
    Au contraire, it just proves that God is an engineer.

Because who else would run a toxic wastepipe through a recreational area ?

Octopuses use tools, and they have tiny eggs.

Also this parrot knew nothing. In the abstract concept of "zero" sense.

Also a lot of human brain development takes place after birth and you can reprogram children up to ~7 years old.

That's why I said "usually far more intelligent" which is true, there are exeptions. What determines intelligence is brain size in comparison to body size. The bigger the brain in comparison to your body, the more intelligence you're capable of.

The octopus is one of these creatures with a very large brain:body ratio.

While in an egg it must've put most if its energy into developing a larger brain and scaling back on other things like a resource heavy skeleton for example. Trade offs have to happen if you're in a static, resource-fixed environment like an egg.

It's true that most brain deveopment happens after birth but that's more fine tuning the wires and connections, the majority of the ground work and potential has been laid down for it to be built on later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Men - corkscrew dicks

Women - corkscrew chachas

Both screws either left hand or right hand
    kowloon wrote: »
    Righty tighty, lefty loosey?

Might be a bit awkward?

'Is it in yet?'

'No, you need to keep turning clockwise, and stop kicking me in the face'

Let me tell you the story of Deadwood Dick
    The only man to have a corkscrew prick.
    He searched the world both far and wide
    Looking for a lady that he could ride.
    He searched the world from pole to pole
    To find a woman with a corkscrew hole -
    But when he found her he dropped dead
    To find that she had a left hand thread!

Most important that the prototype is EITHER left or right. Makes for easier coupling and less cigarette ash burns afterwards.

Advertisement