Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Jesus, calm down, I didn't say it was a requirement, I'm just telling him how to avoid the situation since it keeps happening to him :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Tallon wrote: »
    Jesus, calm down, I didn't say it was a requirement, I'm just telling him how to avoid the situation since it keeps happening to him :rolleyes:

Completely agree, but sometimes there's no gap in the overtaking lane to move out,

What gets me is, people would rather push into the traffic lane and actually hit a car, than just drive across into ghost island/on to the hard shoulder.....

Its not going to cause spontaneous explosion, its just a little dusty in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

gutteruu wrote: »
    I'm usually not one to criticise someone who contribute's clips, but I don't understand why he sped up into his path? The golf looked like he judged the braking wrong and the poster sped up to end up in his braking path. Seems like a dangerous decision?

Traffic on a motorway has right of way

If merging on, you must yield to traffic already in the carriageway.

Simples

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

joujoujou wrote: »
    Brakes tested...

...passed. :D
    Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    You can hardy say he was going too fast when he clearly demonstrated that he can stop in the distance that he could see to be clear with room to spare.
    Yes he was breaking the limit, but not going too fast.

If you stop the video at 1 second the jeep is already moving. The car is more than 200 metres away so it was a safe manoeuvre by the jeep. The jeep could have moved a little quicker but I doubt he realised the speed the car was going.

Yaris driver
    dickwod1 wrote: »

I think the long horn use was correct as this was very dangerous, if it scared the driver then I bet the driver will check both ways twice the next time and not just glance once and pull out

As a former biker this is so important. Maybe he saved someones life in the future.
    salonfire wrote: »
    That's fine. But I will say to you, that you run the risk of freaking the other person out, possibly making a bad situation worse. Rather than accelerate away from you, that person dived for the hedge and stopped.

The person that pulled out is at fault, if they cannot judge what they are doing is lethally dangerous then they should not be driving.
    ando wrote: »
    This happened three times to me on the same motorway junction, twice on video which are below. You'd swear its life or death to get infront of me?? Especially the first vid:

That Micra driver is asking for trouble. You must have seen then coming up in your mirror though. The Audi wasn't as bad. That junction reminds me of the kilcock N4 Eastbound. Cars come down the slip road and pull accross hatchings straight into the OT lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,543 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Well, not so funny considering cyclist died in hospital later.
    CiniO wrote: »
    Any info in regards this?

http://bytow.naszemiasto.pl/artykul/1846977,tragiczny-final-potracenia-rowerzysty-poszkodowany-zmarl,id,t.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Thanks... After reading the article, everything makes more sense to me...:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Bohrio wrote: »
    Thanks... After reading the article, everything makes more sense to me...:confused:

Translated:
    The victim in the case of men underwent a complicated operation, and for several days he was in serious condition. Today before 11-STA died. - confirm the information - said Ryszard Stus, director of the Provincial Hospital in Slupsk. The victim underwent a serious operation cranial trepanation, in which two hematomas were removed. The man was in a very serious condition and even if it survived, would be invalid - said Ryszard Stus. Discover the pictures taken just after the deduction of a 65-year-old man yesterday perpetrator of the levy has been accused of causing an accident with injury and escape from the scene. - Position in the the prosecutor should take, but from our point of view will change to a description of the act - says junior asp. Michael Gawronski, press officer of the CPP in Bytów. Now the charge will apply to an accident resulting in death - explained the officer. Though the classification is changed, the punishment that Polish law provides for this act is not. Man still threatened 12 years in prison. Yesterday the court at the request of the prosecution applied to the detainee Luke D. preventive measure in the form of two months detention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

I posted it here aswell! 2nd time in 6 months. 3rd time in 5 years this has happened to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

F*ckin madness that :mad:

"Ah it was just Biddy/Tommy in her/his little red honda fit" Sure wasn't she/he late for mass and got confused, poor dear"

No bother, drive against traffic doing 120km/h plus, with the drivers half asleep and in a daze from the long drive.

Should be a custodial sentence for that sh1t.

And to think, there's a heavier punishment for no f*ckin nct on a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

Could be foreigners in a rented car though. It happens here in Spain all the time during the summer. At this stage I just smile a bit and watch the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I posted it here aswell! 2nd time in 6 months. 3rd time in 5 years this has happened to me!

[YOUTUB]SMdiRg2tL54[/YOUTUBE]

They must have left their hat in Durty Nelly's.

On a serious note though that's lethal.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭ando

Did you see what they did after the end of the vid, did they turn around the correct way?

Did you see what they did after the end of the vid, did they turn around the correct way?

They drove up as far as the corner where they were greated by 2 lanes of traffic coming head on, so they swerved into the centre grass median. I rang the gaurds just after, but I assume they went down sliproad nearby...hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Some amount of unwarranted criticism on here...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

MugMugs wrote: »
    Go Pro Hero :)
    I would just point out that while a go pro will do the job and can record hours onto a memory card it's big limitation is the battery lasting no more than an hour and a half. So you'll be constantly taking it in and out of the car to charge.

Just in case anyone was seriously considering getting a go pro for this, you'd be better off with something dedicated that can run off a bigger battery and possibly be hard mounted to discourage theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I'm usually not one to criticise someone who contribute's clips, but I don't understand why he sped up into his path? The golf looked like he judged the braking wrong and the poster sped up to end up in his braking path. Seems like a dangerous decision?

At no point did I accelerate into his path, keep an eye on the speed on the bottom of the video. I gave Youtube image stabilisation a go which does seem to skew it a bit. The guy only came into my view within seconds of meeting him and tbh I don't think I'd have avoided him had he come out much more. He was speeding up the ramp with no view of his road ahead.

Dingatron wrote: »
    At no point did I accelerate into his path, keep an eye on the speed on the bottom of the video. I gave Youtube image stabilisation a go which does seem to skew it a bit. The guy only came into my view within seconds of meeting him and tbh I don't think I'd have avoided him had he come out much more. He was speeding up the ramp with no view of his road ahead.

Your right. It was the sound and youtube stabilisation that was throwing me off. The sound revs just before he appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Is that just after bunratty?
    TBH that stretch of road is very bad recently, twice i've seen a man walking alone the central reservation.

Probably joined the carriageway just up the road, and is nipping into Bunratty for "de messages"..
    It's a pity the Garda speed van wasn't out, it'd be gas to have them caught speeding going the wrong way
    Crazy behavior, on a serious note anyone in the fast lane doing a "healthy" speed would have no time to react on the apex of the bend

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Tallon wrote: »

That debate always goes the same way.
    "I'm merging, so fcuk you!"
    "Well, I'm on the motorway, so fcuk you too!"
    You could swear the game is to block people from merging and for the people getting on to have to find a gap to squeeze through. Ireland is the worst country for "Well I'm in the right, so I'm not fcuking moving".
    I sometimes merge onto the motorway, which would be completely empty and the car already on it will NOT move over. So I do floor it and get out ahead of them. And now I see that exactly these people are complaining "Why is this ALWAYS happening to me?", so now you know.
    I always move over to the outside lane when I can, result: Not one driver tries to floor it ahead of me. The merge, I move back left, they will either stay there or overtake me.
    Sometimes it's too busy to move over, the people see that and it's no problem, sometimes they go at 60 km/h, I'm past them before they even notice me, no problem.
    But this whole "Well I don't have to move for you, so I'm blocking you even though the motorway is empty" spiel will end in "well I'll floor it and we'll see who gets out first"
    I'm not worried about being unpopular saying this, seing as I'm already about as popular as the common cold around here, but someone has to say it.
    And it's not just me in particular, the video shows that this is just the general reaction...

100% agree

I always get people not letting me out, so I speed up

People can be dick heads when it comes to merging, like you said "I don't Have to move by law, so I'm not going to! Even the the overtaking lane is free"

The worst is trucks! Everytime I merge the M50 SB @ Liffey valley, I get this crap

• Advertisement

Shane_ef wrote: »
    Is that just after bunratty?
    TBH that stretch of road is very bad recently, twice i've seen a man walking alone the central reservation.

It was Bunratty. The more I think about it the more I hope it was just a tourist in a rental who missed the turn for the castle.

dr.fuzzenstein is right. Its the attitude of Irish drivers that nobody can 'get the better of them' that causes half the hassle. I reckon this is the problem with people blocking the overtaking lane or letting people out of sideroads. The Irish feel its their god-given right to drive anywhere or block anyone they like as long as they never break the speed limit.

Here is another one from a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

ScumLord wrote: »
    I would just point out that while a go pro will do the job and can record hours onto a memory card it's big limitation is the battery lasting no more than an hour and a half. So you'll be constantly taking it in and out of the car to charge.

Just in case anyone was seriously considering getting a go pro for this, you'd be better off with something dedicated that can run off a bigger battery and possibly be hard mounted to discourage theft.

Good advice. Also add that a GoPro has no time stamp or GPS, plus a very warping 'fish eye' lens. There are cheaper, and better options available!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭ando

That debate always goes the same way.
    "I'm merging, so fcuk you!"
    "Well, I'm on the motorway, so fcuk you too!"
    You could swear the game is to block people from merging and for the people getting on to have to find a gap to squeeze through. Ireland is the worst country for "Well I'm in the right, so I'm not fcuking moving".
    I sometimes merge onto the motorway, which would be completely empty and the car already on it will NOT move over. So I do floor it and get out ahead of them. And now I see that exactly these people are complaining "Why is this ALWAYS happening to me?", so now you know.
    I always move over to the outside lane when I can, result: Not one driver tries to floor it ahead of me. The merge, I move back left, they will either stay there or overtake me.
    Sometimes it's too busy to move over, the people see that and it's no problem, sometimes they go at 60 km/h, I'm past them before they even notice me, no problem.
    But this whole "Well I don't have to move for you, so I'm blocking you even though the motorway is empty" spiel will end in "well I'll floor it and we'll see who gets out first"
    I'm not worried about being unpopular saying this, seing as I'm already about as popular as the common cold around here, but someone has to say it.
    And it's not just me in particular, the video shows that this is just the general reaction...

This thread is something else. How can staying in the correct lane travelling at a safe speed, doing exactly what the rules of the road expect you to do still attract the "you're doing it so wrong" crowd??

When merging, you look for a spot to merge into, you adapt your speed to fit into the slot. That’s it, that’s all that's involved, I fail to understand whats so difficult to understand about that?... If someone is intentionally speeding up or slowing down to not let you onto the motorway that’s different, they're idiots and a danger and should be reported. I only adapt my speed to let people merge if I see they're going to have trouble merging, as would be expected. It’s their job to do the merging, even on a 'empty motorway'. Why would I facilitate someone driving wrong and jump into the overtaking lane where I shouldnt be? The two people I showed on the video were racing to get in front of me when there was plenty of room, opportunity, time and space to adapt their speed to merge safely behind me.. but decided against it for whatever reason they had. They just didnt want to slow down I reckon. There's no excuse for that. The Micra gets within 2/3 feet of me when going over 100Kph... That was blatant and inexcusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

How can staying in the correct lane travelling at a safe speed, doing exactly what the rules of the road expect you to do still attract the "you're doing it so wrong" crowd??

The only time I have ever had problem merging is when the traffic is very heavy and you get loads of tailgating!!

If everyone stuck to the correct approach and gave the 2 second rule a go, we would not have the problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Why would I facilitate someone driving wrong and jump into the overtaking lane where I shouldnt be? The two people I showed on the video were racing to get in front of me when there was plenty of room, opportunity, time and space to adapt their speed to merge safely behind me.. but decided against it for whatever reason they had. They just didnt want to slow down I reckon. There's no excuse for that. The Micra gets within 2/3 feet of me when going over 100Kph... That was blatant and inexcusable.

For safety sake.

D1ck heads who try to merge like the micra driver obviously have no idea how it is supposed to work and so avoiding situations where you come within 2/3 feet of another car at 100 K's might just avoid a collision.

You did nothing legally wrong but you could have avoided the situation by moving out and letting the gobsh1te on about his/her business.

Being in the right is all well and good but who wants to be the rightist bloke in the orthopaedic ward?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

RustyNut wrote: »
    For safety sake.

You did nothing legally wrong but you could have avoided the situation by moving out and letting the gobsh1te on about his/her business.

Just remember that the Micra came across the hatched area, or at the very least, from the blind spot.. There is no way to cover that one. The poster of the vid didn't need to allow for him/her, there was a clear lane ahead of the tool! The driver, for want of a better word, wasn't waiting for anything. Not a gap or a safe place to merge. He/she was just pushing in, no matter what.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

This thread is something else. How can staying in the correct lane travelling at a safe speed, doing exactly what the rules of the road expect you to do still attract the "you're doing it so wrong" crowd??

When merging, you look for a spot to merge into, you adapt your speed to fit into the slot. That’s it, that’s all that's involved, I fail to understand whats so difficult to understand about that?... If someone is intentionally speeding up or slowing down to not let you onto the motorway that’s different, they're idiots and a danger and should be reported. I only adapt my speed to let people merge if I see they're going to have trouble merging, as would be expected. It’s their job to do the merging, even on a 'empty motorway'. Why would I facilitate someone driving wrong and jump into the overtaking lane where I shouldnt be? The two people I showed on the video were racing to get in front of me when there was plenty of room, opportunity, time and space to adapt their speed to merge safely behind me.. but decided against it for whatever reason they had. They just didnt want to slow down I reckon. There's no excuse for that. The Micra gets within 2/3 feet of me when going over 100Kph... That was blatant and inexcusable.

Bit in bold denotes driver with attitude problem.
    Me on the empty motorway:
    Driving along in left hand lane and see car about to merge. Move over to the right, car merges, move back left. No problem, no one has to brake or speed up, and no one got in anyone's way. You're right, I'm not forced to do it by law, so why do it?
    I'm not even charging for it! Most people just faint on the spot when I tell them that.
    You're not forced by law to hold a door open, change your clothes every now and then, not block escalators, say hello to your neighbour and whatever other things we do for no other reason than to be nice to each other.
    And the argument of "I'm not supposed to be in the overtaking lane!"? Purlease! That is the lamest pile of hogwash I ever heard. You're not driving on it for 20 km with a queue of angry drivers behind you.
    And since the car merging will soon be in the driving lane, ah, yeah, it would be handy.
    So you on the motorway:
    Car about to merge, coinciding with you driving along in the driving lane, as is your god-given entitlement. Since you're not forced to move by law, you don't. Car in merging lane has to either slow significantly or speed up. Both people annoyed, A"how dare he merge onto MY motorway!" B:"What a dickhead, blocking me from merging", stress, hassle, etc.
    Do you only do things that you are forced to do by law? You must lead a stressful life.
    I actually agree with parts of your post, sometimes you can't and sometimes there's no point, it's just the empty motorway bit I have a problem with.

Why would I facilitate someone driving wrong and jump into the overtaking lane where I shouldnt be?

A bit of common courtesy goes a long way. Tractors don't have to pull over either, but living by the letter of the law can cause accidents and your 'I'm not in the wrong so screw everyone else' attitude has clearly caused you near accidents and will cause more in the future too.

I am of the opinion that if someone won't give me the courtesy of letting me out because of stuburness and my alternative option is to stop and park on a motorway full of traffic tearing into/beside me, I would be quite happy to return the 'screw everyone else' attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Spotted this on my drive today(timestamp is wrong), 2 cyclists just didn't care about their own safety or the safety of pedestrians.

• Advertisement

Ridiculous! They're the dick heads I hate!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement