Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City hotels suffering from rise in bedroom boozers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

krudler wrote: »
    Who says romance is dead folks.
    I have a strong suspicion that your definition of romance would not be shared by everyone here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Do not leave the empties around when vacating the room in the morning.
    Pay by cash and be very careful about divulging your name and contact details.

This should cover it.

I like the way the hotelier/thief refunded the money extorted from the customer/victims account and then apologised to them and offered a free night at the hotel for their inconvenience.

Who would want to return to a hotel run by a con artist/thief??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

doolox wrote: »
    Do not leave the empties around when vacating the room in the morning.
    Pay by cash and be very careful about divulging your name and contact details.

This should cover it.

Should cover what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Hoop66

The reason that bigger, business-oriented hotels charge so much for breakfast is that there is a standard allowance for breakfast on expenses. Used to be something like €20, afair, so that's what they charge for breakfast.

Anyway, about this monkey sex...

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

I worked in a htel on the Continent a couple of years back. The Hotel had a bar of it's own. The manager and I helped a customer with their bags to the room he was of Arab decent and had two wives and a blast of kids. When he enquired about getting a bottle of Scotch from the bar my manager wouldn't hear of it. Sent me out using the hotel car to the Esso to buy him a bottle of scotch and a litre of Coke. Got a nice tip for it as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

ash23 wrote: »
    I was at a wedding where the drinks were so ridiculously overpriced that loads of the guests went to the nearby offlicence and bought drink and brought it to the rooms, popping up and down to top up.

Made sense really. For a vodka and coke you were paying a tenner. 4 people chip in a tenner and get a litre of vodka and a couple of 2L bottles of coke and have 6 or 7 drinks for the same price.

None of those guests brought the drink with them to the hotel. But after buying at the bar they though "sod this" and went to the offie.
    Had the drinks been more reasonably priced, most wouldn't have bothered.

Went away last weekend and in the hotel the cheapest bottle of wine was 20 quid so we went to the shop instead. €7.99 for the same wine.

this is getting popular from what i hear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

humbert wrote: »
    I've been on romantic weekends. They didn't involve binge drinking in the hotel room.

A romantic weekend with your hand, was it?

The pub culture in Ireland is coming to an end amongst the 20 somethings. they are used of getting a few cans and heading to each others houses, then when they do go out later they'll sneak in cans and naggins into the pub. So I'm not surprised that this activity is now getting popular with weddings and other occassions. The trend has started and people need money to go alot further. Will hotels now charge corkage for cans of Dutch Gold ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I've never brought alcohol into the room, we'd go to the bar for that :confused: Unless they leave a bottle of something in the room for us

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

I'm in a hotel in California and they charge a $20 fee if you put your own drinks in the mini bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

IM0 wrote: »
    2 star hotels

Do such places exist in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The other thing of course is, that when I go away on a break, it’s not to visit the hotel. The hotel is somewhere to sleep and maybe eat and if it’s not a massive rip-off I might have one or two drinks there. However, I know that if I want to buy a bottle of wine from the hotel and get it sent to the room it’s going to be €30 minimum for plonk, so I’ll bring my own wine. And maybe have a glass while getting ready to go out or when I get back from wherever I’ve been during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭wijam

laugh wrote: »
    I'm in a hotel in California and they charge a $20 fee if you put your own drinks in the mini bar.
    fill the bath with cool water and fire your drink into it....sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭xLexie

I recently stayed in a hotel for a hen night, bought a bottle of vodka and west coast cooler but needed ice, so rang down to reception to see if they would send some up. The guy that answered asked if I needed a glass of ice or an ice bucket for a bottle, so obviously not all hotels care if you buy it there or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

humbert wrote: »
    I have a strong suspicion that your definition of romance would not be shared by everyone here.

I have a strong suspicion you should feed your high horse something, it's looking a bit peckish there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Its not something I would do very often, maybe on the last night when a bit skint and we just may have a bottle of wine between us before heading out. Saying that if I stay in a hotel room just on my own, I wouldn't drink alcohol at all.

xLexie wrote: »
    I recently stayed in a hotel for a hen night, bought a bottle of vodka and west coast cooler but needed ice, so rang down to reception to see if they would send some up. The guy that answered asked if I needed a glass of ice or an ice bucket for a bottle, so obviously not all hotels care if you buy it there or not.

I know of a hotel that charges 10 euro if you want ice for your drinks in your room.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

laugh wrote: »
    crusher000 wrote: »
    I know of a hotel that charges 10 euro if you want ice for your drinks in your room.
    I've recently seen corkage charges of €20 per bottle.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

The boyfriend and I once went to a drive through KFC after being out for the day....and brought it back to the hotel to have in the room. That's romance.

(We did order wine by room service later that night though, so I don't feel too bad.....)

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I've stayed in a hotel before where we've had pizza delivered! The hotel were even good enough to recommend a place!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Aidric wrote: »
    Do such places exist in Ireland?

They were called Hostels before the boom

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I've stayed in a hotel before where we've had pizza delivered! The hotel were even good enough to recommend a place!

Same, a lot of hotels don't care, you've paid for the room so do what you want in it. Depends how long I'm in a place for tbh, one night out on the town the other chilling in the room if you're there for a full weekend. Had all sorts of weekends/city breaks

See maybe I'm just very low maintence, but I don't really see a problem with ordering pizza/chips/Chinese, in a hotel room or going to the off licence and buying wine.

A bottle of wine is a bottle of wine. Does it mean you're more romantic because you buy the same wine in the hotel for three times the price? Or order food that you don't even like, just because that's what you're supposed to do. Bollocks to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i stayed in the burlington friday night and as we were going up to bed at 3.30am security were clearing out a room where a party was on-going on our floor

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

xLexie wrote: »
    A bottle of wine is a bottle of wine. Does it mean you're more romantic because you buy the same wine in the hotel for three times the price?
    I don't expect hotels to match supermarket prices, there does have to be a service cost for the staff waiting on the guest. Even if the guest never makes full use of the staff, the staff has to be on standby waiting to fulfill guests requests.

I don't see how the charges need to be so high for this service but I guess they must be, They're already paying as little as possible for staff. They've already cheapened the experience by removing freebies and extras from the rooms.

There are other costs that we wouldn't see though, higher hygiene standards, more expensive equipment to meet standards, expensive fire safety equipment. There are a lot of background charges that wouldn't have been there 20 years ago.

Of course the consumer has the ultimate say. If we start moving to cheaper hotels like travel lodges or even onto hostels (which can offer a fairly good private room) then we will see the end of the service laden hotel affordably priced, they will become a reserve for the very rich who don't mind spending lots of money so they don't have to move off their seat. Which is maybe how it's always been, our taste of the high life is over and now it's back to budget hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

On stag-dos, or the day after a wedding I have often drank in the room, never all night, but a few drinks getting ready or after the night out. You can smoke there, have your own music on, the TV whatever. Bring in a better selection of drinks than the miserable choice in most pubs.
    bluewolf wrote: »
    I've never brought alcohol into the room, we'd go to the bar for that :confused: Unless they leave a bottle of something in the room for us
    Thats the weird thing, if its left there it can seem to be "extra special", if you were at a wedding and the couple said "oh we had some lovely champagne in the bedroom, they left a complimentary bottle it for us" and people would think it fine & romantic (complimentary me bollocks, its obviously factored into the price). While if they bring it in themselves its suddenly a pathetic act to some.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Bit of a strong contrast here but there's health implications in riding in a hotel room yet they don't seem to give a fiddlers about that and if it's with the right person, it could well be more disruptive than a party.

In reality, it's hotels pissed that their over inflated drinks prices aren't being bought anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

There's a number of local restaurants here who promote bringing your own wine. They charge 2euro for the glass.

Maybe hotels should consider jumping on the bandwagon. Charge a flat fee for providing glasses/ice in the room or a wine cooling service. Something minimal like a couple of euro each.

I know I'd pay it. I hate drinking lukewarm wine from a bathroom glass.....but I'll do it rather than paying 4 times the price in the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Stayed in a hotel in Chicago once and brought some cans back to my room. Didn't finish them all so put them in the bin when leaving.

Apparently I brook some hotel rule, outside alcohol is forbidden, and an extra charge was put on my credit cards. :confused:

• Advertisement

ash23 wrote: »
    I hate drinking lukewarm wine from a bathroom glass.....but I'll do it rather than paying 4 times the price in the bar.

Tescos wine glasses, 1.25 each. Grand job. You can buy em when you're buying the wine to take to the hotel. :classy:

Advertisement