Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheelchair user refused entry to Dublin Nightclub.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Or that a security guard/bouncer didn't follow proper guidelines.

It would certainly appear that way. The door person refused him entry as he was in a wheelchair.This was not in line with management procedure and a contract was lost over it.

I think they handled the situation very well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭joetoad

We heard this from one side of the party. He could have been scuttered, gave the bouncers abuse or anything. I have been refused entry to many a night club over the years. Maybe I should take them to the cleaners too? Just because he's in a wheelchair he shouldn't be getting special cripple treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

In fairness to the business, they seem to have dealt with it quickly and without reservation. That has to be applauded in a day and age where denial or a wall of silence is usually the first port of call.

They took the course of action that meant the best outcome for them. If it had been the owner or one of his family working there that refused the guy entry do you think they would have been so quick to hang them out to dry? If the guy was refused because he was in a wheelchair then I'd be as disgusted as anyone but as it stands we have no evidence of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    he cant get in
    because their is a downstairs to get into the club
    staff are not letting him in not because hes in a wheelchair
    because it could be too dangerous
    imagin he fell out of the chair down the stairs? the club would have to close , because they would get their ass handed to them in court because they let him in

its nothing to do with him been in a wheelchair
    if their was a lift down to the club well then he would get in
    his friends can of course argue the point saying they will help him up and down the stairs but that fact is , their not insured to do that in the club , so the owners of the club would not have a leg to stand on in court (excuse the pun)

although i do think the staff handled the situation terrible, bouncers arnt exactly the nicest when it comes to arguing at the front doors haha , and not too mention be embarressing for the fella like that
    he should take them to court anyway because it would be a win win from him :/

Stop it right now, you're making far too much sense. There is a witch hunt on after all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

first world problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

mackg wrote: »
    They took the course of action that meant the best outcome for them. If it had been the owner or one of his family working there that refused the guy entry do you think they would have been so quick to hang them out to dry? If the guy was refused because he was in a wheelchair then I'd be as disgusted as anyone but as it stands we have no evidence of that.

You are only speculating as to what they would have done if the door person was a relative, good chance that door person would have followed the company procedure and this would never have happened.

All I am going on is what the limited information released by both parties. Both sets of information says he was denied access as he is a wheel chair user.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

joetoad wrote: »
    We heard this from one side of the party. He could have been scuttered, gave the bouncers abuse or anything. I have been refused entry to many a night club over the years. Maybe I should take them to the cleaners too? Just because he's in a wheelchair he shouldn't be getting special cripple treatment.

But nobody gives a fcuk when you and me are told to get lost or discriminated against. So we'd have to just take the usual complaints route and see what comes of it. This guy is in a wheelchair so he can avoid all that by posting a pic of himself looking dejected in a wheelchair on social media and whipping up an angry mob to force the nightclub into taking immediate action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

You are only speculating as to what they would have done if the door person was a relative, good chance that door person would have followed the company procedure and this would never have happened.

All I am going on is what the limited information released by both parties. Both sets of information says he was denied access as he is a wheel chair user.
    But you're speculating too that he was bluntly told "You can't come in, no wheelchairs" rather than being given further info as to why wheelchairs can't be accommodated. If that is the case with the venue, what choice did the bouncer have?
    first world problems
    Nah it's more than just a trivial issue, as you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

My friend is a good friend of his and said the reason he was given was that he was in a wheelchair. According to my friend, this guy never kicks up a fuss. So he tells me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Which makes sense seeing as there is no possible way for a wheelchair user to actually get in save for the bouncers carrying him in.

If they did that there would be another screaming match going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

They know their position alright. They have been backed into a corner by baseless claims on facebook.

It has generated 20,000 likes in 4 hours. By morning at that rate it will have 80,000 likes. Thats a lot of bad publicity.

And by next weekend it'll have all been forgotten about and the same nightclub will be packed as it ever was.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,235 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

My mate is in a wheelchair, he can't get into loads of pubs in Dublin. Think of the pubs in Dublin city you go to, millions of them have steps in, or steps somewhere inside. We pretty much gave up on doing a 12 pubs because it's so hard to find 12 pubs in reasonable walking distance with wheelchair access

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Did you ever notice that anytime something like this happens with any business that its always agency staff or outside contractors at fault?

God forbid that management ever take responsibility for these things

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

It would certainly appear that way. The door person refused him entry as he was in a wheelchair.This was not in line with management procedure and a contract was lost over it.

I think they handled the situation very well.

The door man was fired, the company didn't lose the contract.

Fair enough I'm speculating there.

The thing is though that it didn't matter what happened from here on out once word started to spread that they refused him entry because he was disabled. Word spreads and people take it as fact, see the start of this thread. How exactly were the nightclub and the security company completely unaware of this last night when the man was refused entry but were able to find out for definite that this is what happened within an hour or two of the post on FB today?

If this is a case of discrimination then it should have gone to court where the guy could have got compensation instead of some crappy FB apology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

To be fair maybe you should make the effort to find out what the "excuse" was before you start slandering a business.

Although if they refused him without a genuine reason then he's dead right to take action against them.

I believe a lot of people are being refused admission to a nightclub without a genuine reason. He's wearing runners too.

Madam_X wrote: »

But you're speculating too that he was bluntly told "You can't come in, no wheelchairs" rather than being given further info as to why wheelchairs can't be accommodated. If that is the case with the venue, what choice did the bouncer have?

I am only reading what both parties said and not speculating.
    Have you read the apology from the club? What do you make of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

That said, there is no lift in the place I work, Wheelchair users still get in in any way they want because bouncers will lift them and their wheelchairs if needs be. Where I work is full of stairs, and yet we'll still make it happen. Why can Madison not?

Fair play to them, but.

What if there's a fire? Will the bouncers be there to carry the wheelchair up the stairs?

What if they can't make it there in time?

What if everyone manages to make it out of the club, and the wheelchair user is left behind, because the bouncers can't make it down, and the person's friends assume the bouncers will have taken care of him?

It's a very real and genuine health and safety concern, and not necessarily anything to do with discrimination at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭md23040

P_1 wrote: »

Which makes sense seeing as there is no possible way for a wheelchair user to actually get in save for the bouncers carrying him in.

If they did that there would be another screaming match going on.

So the bouncer can't let someone in because of the stairs and no wheelchair access and then gets sacked (leased premises).

That's a brilliant result OP. Why don't you get your little camera out in other venues across Dublin with inadequate facilities, and force staff into a "damned if you do and damned if you don't" situation then destroy someone's business whilst forcing more people out of their jobs in a complete surreptitious and underhand manner.

You should have consulted the owners on the Monday and if they did not deal with the situation in a pragmatic manner, then you could have legitimate rights then to go down the internet witch hunt route.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,680 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Couple of things: 1) I thought in theory public venues were legally obliged to be accessible.

2) Supposing venues aren't accessible to people in wheelchairs due to having stairs and no lifts, what happens then? As in is there some sort of punishment for venues who don't comply with these rules?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Fair play to them, but.

What if there's a fire? Will the bouncers be there to carry the wheelchair up the stairs?

What if everyone manages to make it out of the club, and the wheelchair user is left behind, because the bouncers can't make it down, and the person's friends assume the bouncers will have taken care of him?

It's a very real and genuine health and safety concern, and not necessarily anything to do with discrimination at all.

And what happens if the bouncers trip and fall while carrying someone in a wheelchair and the person in the wheelchair is injured? It's a very real health and safety risk.

The door man was fired, the company didn't lose the contract.

Fair enough I'm speculating there.

The thing is though that it didn't matter what happened from here on out once word started to spread that they refused him entry because he was disabled. Word spreads and people take it as fact, see the start of this thread. How exactly were the nightclub and the security company completely unaware of this last night when the man was refused entry but were able to find out for definite that this is what happened within an hour or two of the post on FB today?

If this is a case of discrimination then it should have gone to court where the guy could have got compensation instead of some crappy FB apology.

I meant the doorman's contract was lost.

I assume the guy was angry and saw it as an avenue to vent that frustration. I'm not on facebook and would go through the proper channels if I had a dispute with a company or individual.

It is a bit crazy how these FB mobs form. It seems to be becoming more and more popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

Czarcasm wrote: »
    And by next weekend it'll have all been forgotten about and the same nightclub will be packed as it ever was.

And some poor guy has been made a scapegoat and been sacked. And for what?

This whole witch hunt based on one version of events disgusts me to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

What was the reason for refusing him entry?

they said he was off his trolley?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,235 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Eod100 wrote: »
    Couple of things: 1) I thought in theory public venues were legally obliged to be accessible.

2) Supposing venues aren't accessible to people in wheelchairs due to having stairs and no lifts, what happens then? As in is there some sort of punishment for venues who don't comply with these rules?

As far as I know, it's only places that are being built now. Or built after a certain date, whenever the law came in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Cienciano wrote: »
    As far as I know, it's only places that are being built now. Or built after a certain date, whenever the law came in.

Nope, It's all new builds have to be accessible and show a disability cert, all existing buildings can alter parts of the place to comply with building regs, if they don't, they can be brought to court for not bringing their building up to standard, as far as I know anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Have you read the apology from the club? What do you make of it?
    Yes I have. And what I make of it is: it's a deflection of responsibility to the bouncer, whereas the club itself should have had provisions for people who are in wheelchairs in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭dmc17

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    What was he planning on doing if he did get in?

A wheelie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Fair play to them, but.

If they carried him down the stairs there would be no problem if they invested in an evacuation chair. All wheelchair accessible buildings have to have them due to lifts not working in the case of fire. They are not expensive and require little training for staff to operate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,680 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Cienciano wrote: »

Think you're right. But say something like the Equal Status Act which prevents discrimination on the basis of disability. Would that not apply to premises with stairs which prevented wheelchair users from accessing them?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement